Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
more embarassing:
This poll is closed.
matrix ripoffs 28 37.33%
pulp fiction ripoffs 47 62.67%
Total: 75 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I couldn’t find a good picture of Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta pointing there guns straight at the camera with the Bible quote attached, but that’s the picture I would have used if I could find it. When googling Boondock Saints there were at least five(!) separate shots of Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus pointing their guns straight at the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sheen Sheen posted:

You’re right, how could anyone possibly see any similarities between these two movies other than the fact that guns are present, it’s like night and day!

I mean.... Other than the plots being entirely different and pulp fiction being in an entirely different format and the two guys there only being one part of the movie and also that boondocks saints quote I don't think actually being a real quote from anything other than the dude saying it in the movie?

I mean if the bar to clear is 'guys with guns saying dramatic things before they shoot people' man I've got some REAL tough news about what movies have ripped each other off since the dawn of film making

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Breaking news today as goons have discovered pulp fiction rips off Scarface using the 'say hello to my little friend' line as an example

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pulp fiction: good the bad and the ugly clone because of the diner scene

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
:rolleyes: I’m sorry that you don’t understand the difference between “shot-for-shot clone” and “ripoff,” but it’s pretty clear to anyone with a functioning brain that that Boondock Saints is a crappy movie that was heavily influenced by Pulp Fiction and probably doesn’t get made (or is significantly different from its current form) in a world where Pulp Fiction doesn’t exist

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
C’mon guys. Quipping assassin duos has been a genre since silent film days, rivaling westerns and romantic comedies for popularity. Remember that one with Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pulp Fiction INVALIDATED due to recent discovery of new script: "Two Gentlemen of Verona"

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
My vampire high school romance novel has completely different plot points from Twilight. It is a wholly original work.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I just can't get over that dream speech in Boondock Saints 2. It's clearly supposed to be real hard, mean, and epic, but it's just Old Man Yells At Cloud.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Schweinhund posted:

Lunch ladies are also fat but we don't need 100 different movies about them with the same elements in every movie.

And they're always the protagonists in these movies. Imagine if people over and over kept making movies where the Nazis were the protagonists. But relatable nazis. After all they're just family men with ordinary problems like you and me. And they have a strict honor code! It's fetishizing the mob.

Yeah man imagine a world where Nazis were humanized and their views given legitimate consideration by the media and government.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Go owns.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Look at this hip and current Brewdog ad I just saw

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Matrix eventually led to this so it is factually superior:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Big Beef City posted:

I mean.... Other than the plots being entirely different and pulp fiction being in an entirely different format and the two guys there only being one part of the movie and also that boondocks saints quote I don't think actually being a real quote from anything other than the dude saying it in the movie?

I mean if the bar to clear is 'guys with guns saying dramatic things before they shoot people' man I've got some REAL tough news about what movies have ripped each other off since the dawn of film making

Beep Boop lol

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
At no point while reading the thread title did I imagine that there would be sincere arguments along the lines of “heh, stupid idiots, Pulp Fiction ripoffs don’t even exist” :smug:

And that somehow morphed into “heh, stupid idiots, a movie can only be considered a ripoff if it copies another movie’s cinematography 100% shot-for-shot, its script 100% line-for-line, and its plot 100% beat-for-beat” :smugdog:

I gotta hand it to you, Goons, you’ve outdone yourselves yet again

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Go easy on Big Beef City, his brain broke when Trump won

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Milla Jovovich made a pretty good career staring in Matrix rip-offs. They should put her in the next one.

For a truly terrible Pulp Fiction rip off, I'd recommend "3000 Miles to Graceland". Or maybe just watch this part where Kevin Costner shoots a bunch of people while dressed as Elvis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avjNRvEfYyo

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

you forgot about the Lotr rip offs where they always gotta have a hairy dwarf

I'd like a fantasy movie with a dwarf lady who has big ole titties.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

:hfive: hell yeah also the soundtrack was fun too.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No I just didn't figure you loving sperg lords could look at two mildly similar movies and bitch about them being too much alike for days.

Way to not let me down, goons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

No I just didn't figure you loving sperg lords could look at two mildly similar movies and bitch about them being too much alike for days.

Way to not let me down, goons

This is a particularly embarrassing meltdown.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Wait...so which one of them has puppet mastered all of us? I'm confused now.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Matrix ripoffs are worse because all action movies suck forever now.

I never saw Boondock Saints though.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Sheen Sheen posted:

At no point while reading the thread title did I imagine that there would be sincere arguments along the lines of “heh, stupid idiots, Pulp Fiction ripoffs don’t even exist” :smug:

And that somehow morphed into “heh, stupid idiots, a movie can only be considered a ripoff if it copies another movie’s cinematography 100% shot-for-shot, its script 100% line-for-line, and its plot 100% beat-for-beat” :smugdog:

I gotta hand it to you, Goons, you’ve outdone yourselves yet again

No one said it has to be a direct scene by scene copy. Who are you arguing with?

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I thought Matrix ripped off Blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuGK7Ob2QI

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Are there any films where the director puts himself in it just to scream the n-word? I haven't seen Boondock saints, does it happen in that?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

You know what was a good movie about two gangsters wandering around dialoging? In Bruges.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Icochet posted:

Are there any films where the director puts himself in it just to scream the n-word? I haven't seen Boondock saints, does it happen in that?

There’s a bit where one of the bad guys and Ron Jeremy sit another guy down and tell him an extended n-word filled joke and it’s like a 5 minute scene. I dunno if one of them is the director though

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Icochet posted:

I haven't seen BS either but I did watch the documentary Overnight. It wouldn't surprise me if Troy Duffy casually dropped racial slurs in everyday conversation. That trailer for the documentary just doesn't do justice to how big an rear end in a top hat Duffy is/was.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Chrs posted:

There’s a bit where one of the bad guys and Ron Jeremy sit another guy down and tell him an extended n-word filled joke and it’s like a 5 minute scene. I dunno if one of them is the director though

Welp. Sounds like the boondock saints is a ripoff of pulp fiction

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Rocco from Boondock Saints might be the worst character to ever exist.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Grape posted:

Rocco from Boondock Saints might be the worst character to ever exist.

Lol, I've never watched boondock saints so I had to google that. Did you know BS has its own wiki? What sort of people set up a wiki for loving boondock saints?

Oh, right.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

No one said it has to be a direct scene by scene copy. Who are you arguing with?

I’m not arguing with anyone anymore, I’m pretty confident that I proved that Pulp Fiction ripoffs do, in fact, exist, and that Boondock Saints is a great example of a particularly bad one. The first statement was directed at you, the second one was directed at the other guy. I was making fun of him for not being able to notice similar patterns and styles among two very similar movies where one was heavily “influenced” by the other.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

A bunch of goons being incredulous that a bunch of late 90's action films are somehow extremely and incompetently influenced by Tarantino is really funny to me.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Oh really?? Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is in large part an attempt to cash in on the success of Mary Poppins by being something of a spiritual sequel?
Yeah HAH ok, it's actually NOT about a magical nanny though dumbus!!

Grape fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 31, 2019

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I liked the song about the candy that whistles

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Boondock Saints is great because it's basically a movie about two young men becoming jihadists after god calls out to them to stop the decadence of modern america by killing sinful people, only the two leads are white catholics instead of brown muslims so an entire generation of lovely dudes unironically thought it was badass and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
wasn't that movie about football?