Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I went in expecting it to be funny and not a total disaster, but all he did was repeat old jokes from the Chappelle Show from 20 years ago. It was really bizarre and I have no idea why Netflix aired this or spent so many millions of dollars producing it. Within the first five minutes of his set, he just stood quietly and then shouted "I'm rich, bitch!" Then didn't say anything else for like 20 seconds while waiting for applause -- which didn't come -- before shouting it again, but louder. "I'm rich, bitch!" Then he did it several more times, each time more aggressively than the last.

I guess the whole point was to do impressions, and that's a thing he's trying to return to, but then he just went and repeated more of them like Prince except he acted out Prince overdosing on opioids on stage. After that Chappelle started slamming the microphone into his groin while shouting "pow! pow! powwww!"

Words cannot describe the scene.

Finally he did his Wayne Brady impression and he would say "is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?" And he'd do that over and over. It was obvious the crowd had already thinned out at that point as people were walking out. He also whined a lot about nonsense. Anyways, I could go on and on, but you get the picture. I don't really know what's wrong with standup comedy these days. Is this the best we can expect from our overpaid celebrity entertainers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
call me the brutalist mcburgler cause i took ur fuckin burghers

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

sounds bad. i think he's seen as a "legend", like jerry seinfeld, who you watch for the aura not the jokes

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

marijuanamancer posted:

call me the brutalist mcburgler cause i took ur fuckin burghers
you're going into burger jail which is what happens to perpetrators of burger crime

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

"im rick james bitch hahahahaha"

a middle schooler circa 2002

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine designing that as an arena for children

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I hate when he showed me his rear end in a top hat after the epilogue credits

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i liked the bit where he ate his own poo poo live in front of a studio audience

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What are the good stand up specials on Netflix? I’ve only watched John Mulaney: The Comeback Kid and that was fantastic, and Kid Gorgeous was pretty good.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anthony jeselnick and tom segura on repeat

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What are the good stand up specials on Netflix? I’ve only watched John Mulaney: The Comeback Kid and that was fantastic, and Kid Gorgeous was pretty good.
Maria Bamford

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

more live dave chaPOOP op

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
<3 facts

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tane posted:

"im rick james bitch hahahahaha"

a middle schooler circa 2002

you know good and drat well far older people were quoting that

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He's an old moron who couldn't adapt to modern sensibilities and humor so he bitches and moans about it while stagnating and remaining incapable of creating material that is compelling in this day and age.

I condemn him to heck.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Well, I went in expecting it to be funny and not a total disaster, but all he did was repeat old jokes from the Chappelle Show from 20 years ago. It was really bizarre and I have no idea why Netflix aired this or spent so many millions of dollars producing it. Within the first five minutes of his set, he just stood quietly and then shouted "I'm rich, bitch!" Then didn't say anything else for like 20 seconds while waiting for applause -- which didn't come -- before shouting it again, but louder. "I'm rich, bitch!" Then he did it several more times, each time more aggressively than the last.

I guess the whole point was to do impressions, and that's a thing he's trying to return to, but then he just went and repeated more of them like Prince except he acted out Prince overdosing on opioids on stage. After that Chappelle started slamming the microphone into his groin while shouting "pow! pow! powwww!"

Words cannot describe the scene.

Finally he did his Wayne Brady impression and he would say "is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?" And he'd do that over and over. It was obvious the crowd had already thinned out at that point as people were walking out. He also whined a lot about nonsense. Anyways, I could go on and on, but you get the picture. I don't really know what's wrong with standup comedy these days. Is this the best we can expect from our overpaid celebrity entertainers?

I just watched this a couple hours ago and he didn't do anything you just described.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok enough about the president of the united states

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There's a good standup series in the UK called Live at the Apollo you might be able to find some on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNUkLzi46OI

i am harry fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 29, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

you're going into burger jail which is what happens to perpetrators of burger crime

I remember that

I have been to burger jail

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just watched this a couple hours ago and he didn't do anything you just described.

i watched it recently and i agree. he actually just spent an hour or so looking in the direction of, but not quite at, the solitary camera, and it was surreal when about 40 minutes in i realised he hadn't blinked or said a word at all. i was crying out of sympathy but also it was very funny

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Apparently he calls a bunch of different kids who got molested liars

Sounds like a really good person

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine comedians looking at or even seeing a camera

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey does anyone else like evidence before making their decisions

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was in the crowd for that filming and I would estimate at least 1/5th of the people in attendance were openly masturbating during a significant portion of the show.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you didnt think you might be jizzed on sitting first seat at a chappelle show?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's like a Gallagher show except instead of fruit it's jizz and instead of it coming from the stage it's coming from the 40 year old white guy sitting next to you. No pun intended. Or was it?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29WWZuXtlo8

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i liked when he had the chappelles show theme song guys play the chappelles show theme song before he went on stage

Buca di Peppo
Aug 28, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can’t tell who’s lying and who’s not lying; but I’ve been up for 2 days off nasal spray. I don’t think Chappelle did this stuff but I am not about to find out for myself . Who can I even trust

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I liked his first two comeback specials.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Truck Stop Stall posted:

sounds bad. i think he's seen as a "legend", like jerry seinfeld, who you watch for the aura not the jokes

Seinfeld didn't deserve Larry David's genius, guy is a massive shithead and a 2nd rate comedian.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its fun to watch old episodes and then afterwards turn on the news and be all "lmao i forgot donald fuckin trump is actually president"

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

He was shopping some fresh material a few months ago when I saw him in a small club. Haven’t seen the special.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

There's a good standup series in the UK called Live at the Apollo you might be able to find some on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNUkLzi46OI
joan!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everyone wants to make the greatest show on earth

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I enjoyed it except for his “what if i was a chinaman trapped in a black dudes body!” *does terrible impression of Asian person* joke.

That bit has been done better 100 times by other comedians. It was some hack poo poo, Dave.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Milo and POTUS posted:

you know good and drat well far older people were quoting that

Yeah, but if you were a middle schooler in 02 you for sure heard that one a lot

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone wanna be in love for long enough to make an article

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

That 4d anus was actually surprising in a good way, now that I have had time to process it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DAve has good delivery which makes things funnier even if the material isn’t all that funny.