Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

I've been arguing with a buddy of mine about whether riding a motorcycle with a 2 litre bottle of gasoline in your backpack is dangerous.

This all started about a week ago when I watched a video where a motorcyclist was riding with a metal thermos full of gas in his bag. I mentioned the video to my friend and said "could you imagine riding around with a 2 litre plastic pop bottle full of gas in your backpack? that would be dumb". He responded with "that would be perfectly safe. there's no way that a 2 litre could leak in the event of a crash".

It's been a few days of arguing so I would like to settle this matter via a public jury.

Just to be clear, his argument is this: "A 2 litre soda bottle filled with gas would survive a motorcycle crash, thus posing no danger to the rider. This is a perfectly safe thing to do"

I disagree. A 2L bottle would not survive the forces involved in a high speed motorcycle crash.

The argument has escalated to him sending me videos of him throwing around bottles and running them over with his car. To be fair, in these videos the bottle does not break. I'm still not convinced.

Please help us settle this matter or I will be forced to end our 10 year friendship over this.

OG Algier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
https://gfycat.com/shamefulpopulardiscus-dashcam

lagunka
Aug 5, 2019

Clearly it was a propane powered truck and it was the truck that exploded, NOT THE BIKE.

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

This is exactly what it would look like

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I'm pretty sure a 2L bottle of gas wouldn't survive a LOW speed crash. Environmentally soundish bottles are made with less plastic. Fuel in a bottle will increase pressure when it is moved around, the same thing happens in your gas tank. It's real fuckin dumb op hth

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just drink the gas and puke it up if you need to refuel, idiot!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

You should also keep gasoline in glass bottles and store them in random places around town OP.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

fill up a bunch of condoms with gas, attach them to yourself with clothespins. go for a ride on the ol' hog.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Attach a large kite or a balloon with a 2 liter soda bottle tied to it and connected directly to the gas tank with a long flexible hose. In event if a crash, it will simply fly away from the site, intact.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

ya these r clever ideas but i would probably just put the gas int he gas tank that came attached to ur motorcycle i guess

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

what the gently caress is with those loving shoes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

bee eater posted:

ya these r clever ideas but i would probably just put the gas int he gas tank that came attached to ur motorcycle i guess

But what if you crash? Your limbless torso thinly spread over like 30 feet of asphalt might end up covered in gas, or worse, on fire!

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

But what if you crash? Your limbless torso thinly spread over like 30 feet of asphalt might end up covered in gas, or worse, on fire!

alright colonel cancer has provided a strong counter argument and i'm bad on board w the kite idea earlier in this thread

lagunka
Aug 5, 2019

maxe posted:

what the gently caress is with those loving shoes

They are crocs, and they are comfy. Fight me over it, friend.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

There's probably a reason gas tanks are made out of metal

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Yeah it's so Big Gas Tank can drive up the price

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

A 2 litre wouldn't survive a crash, but a 3 litre absolutely would.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Your friend is a dumdum and you might be better off without him. In any case, don’t get on a motorcycle with him.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

camo crocs lmao

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I worked in a grocery store and 2 liters will explode of you look at them the wrong way. Exploded 2 liters are just acceptable losses because soda doesn't explode into flames.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

OG Algier posted:

The argument has escalated to him sending me videos of him throwing around bottles and running them over with his car. To be fair, in these videos the bottle does not break. I'm still not convinced.

Tell him to do it with a 2 liter bottle, not a 500ml one.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

lagunka posted:

They are crocs, and they are comfy. Fight me over it, human being.

Don’t say the f word, fuckface

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Crocs are good shoes. It's 2019 get on board or get lost.

But ye don't call people human being

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

lagunka posted:

They are crocs, and they are comfy. Fight me over it, human being.

This dude's freaking toast

nut
Jul 30, 2019

i dont support croc but i also dont support this defender

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm a 31 foot tall quadruple amputee, this is hardly a concern to me.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
it would be dangerous just loose in a 2L in a normal backpack. what you need is a purpose built backpack specially made for fluids:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lagunka posted:

They are crocs, and they are comfy. Fight me over it, friend.

You are lucky goon

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bird with big dick posted:

Don’t say the f word, fuckface

Good quote

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Burt Sexual posted:

You are lucky goon

His first probation! How cute!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
yeah, nothing wrong about strapping gasoline to your back and tearing down the freeway.

Sounds totally cool to me.

Hey. Wait a minute. Is this a play on that old story about the guy going to the Mensa meeting with a 2L soda on his back? I fell for it if so :)

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

dare your friend to run over a 2 liter filled with gasoline in a commercial truck with high psi tires

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

:piss:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm a motorcyclist and I've crashed a few times (always dumb poo poo like turning in the rain). I wouldn't be stupid enough to carry a 2L bottle of combustible fuel strapped to my back because honestly, you don't know what the gently caress is going to happen when you come off a vehicle at speed. You might be fine, you might end up rolling into a bruised/bloody mess.

Ultimately, on a long enough timeframe, the gas would end up either dissolving the plastic, or weakening it enough to make it easily breakable. You'd be better off with a proper jerry can in a saddlebag or similar, but ultimately I always just make sure I have enough fuel to either get me to my destination, or to the next gas station.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

OG Algier posted:

The argument has escalated to him sending me videos of him throwing around bottles and running them over with his car.

Tell this moron to try recreating that second one, but with the bottle full of gas for 14 days, and at speed

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There are a few situations where wearing a 2L soda bottle of extra fuel would be an ingenious solution to an obscure problem.

However, there are many more situations where doing so is loving stupid.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You're friend is a dumb rear end I used to gnaw through those bottles when i was a lunatic 5 year old who knows if some errant schoolchild will latch onto the back of his moto like some kind of freakish gasoline lusting bird of prey and begins chomping it's way through the plastic shell to reach the gasoline as it claws and renders the flesh of your FOOLISH friend may God forgive his sinful soul

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

your thread reminds me of the liveleak watermark for some reason.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Riding a 2L soda bottle full of gas with a motorcycle strapped to your back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

numberoneposter posted:

Riding a 2L soda bottle full of gas with a motorcycle strapped to your back

Woa