Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Roll that 1d6!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
Ask : If I leave now can I come back later ? and If I stay when will I be able to leave again ?

roll 1d6 : 6

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Ask How are you, Pit? You doing ok?

Sex: Intersex - androgen insensitivity syndrome
Skin Tone: Dark Green
Hair Colour: Lighter Green
Distinguishing Feature: Bark skin

Breaking down that gate....no, wait, that lozenge: 1d6 6

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Name: Child
Complexion: Almond
Hair: Green
Distinguishing Feature: Freckles

Ask: (To Pit-Spirit, Fox Familiar, and Frogoblin) "What are your names?"

I agreed with everything on Lux's post except what I changed.

Something about Lozenges? 1d6 = 6

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Distinguishing feature: Breaks the fourth wall, aware of the thread.
:yeshaha:
This
Rest: w/e
Upgrade: 1d6 4

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Changing my trait vote into Pointy Chin

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Sex Male
Skin Tone White
Hair Colour Brunette
Distinguishing Feature Stickie-out ears

Break Through!: 1d6 5

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Voting Closed

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You probably should have run, but in that moment no part of you wanted to leave. This was it. This was the call of adventure, and one of the few lessons your parents had managed to impart before the… event was that when opportunity knocked, you had to go for it, whole-heartedly! Your sister, on the other hand, had driven something else into you: ask questions. Make sure you know what you’re getting into before you step into a trap. That didn’t mean you could stop yourself from fairly vibrating with excitement.

quote:

”Uhhhh... Why is this place covered in dirt and abandoned?”
The wall literally cracked a grin and coughed a laugh. “Not abandoned - forgotten! The world didn’t leave me behind, I left it behind. Closed up shop, hid the old ways, left those who took from me to rot up there in the mundanity of it all. They shouldn’t have betrayed me. I warned them about it, and they just hoped I would forget? Oh, kid, they shouldn’t have... You may have coughed then, made some tiny animal sound of fear, quickly squashed, but an eye formed and winked. ”But you’ll be fine, because you’re not like them, are you?”

quote:

”You said ‘stop what’s coming.’ What is coming?”
The mouth clicked shut with a clatter of stone against stone, then opened elsewhere. ”The Jeng weren’t satisfied with their first visit. Surely you’d heard the rumours? Well, they’re mustering to come back, and do it right this time.” You slapped your palms to your mouth in horror, but in truth you had heard rumours. Your village had fought them off once, but the cost had been terrible. The cost had led to the… a glowing feather caught your eye.

quote:

”Wait, what happened to my stuff? Why are they glowing?”
Dozens of eyes snapped open, squinting gleefully and examining your changed possessions. ”I told you, you - and I - have invested power in them, made them something better. You provided the shape, and I provided the *oomph* to bridge the gap between fantasy and reality. See that feather? Just try to jump now.”

A small section of floor fell away, leaving a pit twice as deep as you were tall. Experimentally, you jumped. Your Feather Charm flashed with azure light, and you rose far swifter and further than expected! When you fell, it was as if you were falling slower than gravity would normally demand. Just as you touched down, that section of floor fell away too. You panicked, trying to kick off of thin air - and did just that, rising gracefully to land on solid bricks. Huffing panicked breaths, you glared at the nearest eye, which crinkled in delight. ”Well? Now you know. Your familiar and your slave have similarly been awoken, and await your every desire.” The frog-turned-goblin gave you an emphatic and extraordinarily rude gesture so fiercely that he fell over.

quote:

”Why are you helping me?”
”Because I want to see what you make. What you make of yourself, what you make of your surroundings. I want to fill you with power and verve and arcane secrets and see what you make of the world! And because I feel like it, and because I can. Is that sufficient, girl?”

quote:

*Gesturing to take in Pit-Spirit, Familiar, and Goblin* ”What are your names?”
The dozen eyes closed slowly, leaving a single one on the ceiling staring down at you. ”It’s not important. Call me Ŭpgrád if you want, because that’s a particularly amusing misrepresentation of the facts!” Shrugging it off, you turned to the others. The Familiar bowed its head to you, its form shifting gently before settling into an abstraction of a fox. “This one is Vups, mistress, though you knew this already. You named me in secret, during a sad evening in the rain. You found me and found a sadness in my corpse resonant with your own. You wished to die to spare yourself from the pain of loss, and yet seeing me you were emboldened to live. You called me Vups and called me your familiar, and so I have become.” You stumbled back, shocked. Every word of it was true. But how? Your Familiar smiled a vulpine grin, and continued more cheerfully. “I am your friend and confidant even in this dangerous place. The Voice of the Pit cannot be trusted, and I will do my best to guard you.” You waited, but Ŭpgrád said nothing in his defense, merely smiling crookedly.

The Goblin said nothing, so you approached it. Standing ankle high, he glowered at you. Finally, he took an enormous breath, cheek pouched inflating, and spoke the following in a single belching breath. “My name is Craggo but you called me Obei Mii as a joke when you captured me outside Gilvert’s Pond with your last two friends (before they moved away and left you behind) and so hey, guess what, that’s my name now so I basically have to do what you say until you give me the Secret of my Freedom and I can get the hell out of this place and get as far away from you as I can you lunatic.” Then he blinked first one eye, then the other, and slowly stuck his tongue out.

quote:

”So, if I leave now can I come back later? And if I stay, when will I be able to leave again?”
”Well, that’s up to you to find out on both counts, girlie.” The words were playful, but they were not stated playfully. He would obviously not budge on this topic.

quote:

”Finally… How are you, Pit? You doing ok?”
An echoing chuckle, issuing from mouths scattered down the hall far into the darkness. ”Oh, I’m doing just fine, now. Just fine.”

---
As you kept walking, Vups and Obei at your flanks and the voice of Ŭpgrád guiding you ever forward, you kept catching glimpses of Flits out of the corners of your eyes. You never quite caught sight of them, but you were beginning to feel a tension in your chest. Not in your heart or guts, but in your… someplace. Your bliver, or the wiggly strandy bits. “Your Lozenge, mistress.” You jumped, but Vups continued. “I can read you, if you allow it, and transmit messages should you require such. Even without this your concern is plain to see. The Flits are an ambient phenomena of this place, and the longer you spend here the more they will attempt to derive your Lozenergy. It will hurt, or at least be discomforting, but it will provide you the means to survive in this place. I will explain when I must, but for now, pay attention.”

You nodded absently, rubbing at your breastbone. Like muscle pain, but worse - only you only noticed it here and there, like pins and needles that came and went. Discomforting was right. At length, you came to the end of a hall. To your left, a hall of stone transitioned smoothly to moss and loam, and in the dark distance you could hear the calls of… birds? Ahead of you, a chill wind gusted out, bringing forth a cool, clean smell of pine and distant smoke. To your right, a pit. Just, a hole in the ground. In its depths, you saw a faint violet light. You smelled something like incense wafting up. Behind you… nothing. A blank wall, a single eye in its center, innocently looking left and right as though some other spirit had blocked the only exit with tons of bricks.

• Left! - Looked like a forest, if an unfamiliar one. You were a pro at forests, pretty much, though you suspected this one would be stranger than most.
  • Straight! - Looked like some kind of mountain peak, impossibly. You’d never really seen a mountain, not up close, but you’d always wanted to!
  • Right! - Was that a rope? It looked like you could lower yourself down. Or jump, you guessed, if you wanted to be risky.
  • Ask! - Ŭpgrád was clearly pretty talkative, not to mention your two new (‘new) companions. Maybe they had something to say?
:siren:[Inventory Updated]:siren:

-O-O-
This human creature was a tough nut to crack! She was clinging to her Lozenge hard, but then it was always toughest the first time. The Flits pulled back, examining their handywork

Almost there. They’d push her over in a moment, but they let her make her choice first. There were many paths in the Pit, but the first one mattered more than most. Well, as much as anything mattered here. One way or another, there was really only one way. Forward. Forward and up!

Some of the Flits felt themselves surging with power, Lozenergy that would otherwise be lost to entropy siphoned away and channelled. Yes, this was good. The lucky few cackled in delight, displaying their enhanced brightness like the peacocks they were, while the others seethed with envy. Those lucky Flits that rolled a 6 this time now roll 2d6! And should they roll a double 6, they will increase yet further! Those unfortunate others felt a grim satisfaction, however - such powers did not often last: rolling a double 1 would drop them back down with the rest of them!

Yes, the Flits were a rowdy bunch, always jostling for power and status.

Much like man.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Straight!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Straight onwards!

Flit The First wiped the proverbial, metaphorical sweat off its brow as it labored to break the Lozenge.

Flit The First: 1d6 2

Dangflit! First out the gate, but obstructed again!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Straight seems like a good chuck. Let's put our sweet jump powers to work.

I must acquire further Lozenges with my new Lozenge power, 2d6 = 8

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
:goleft:

LEFT

Chip off the ol' Soul Lozenge: 1d6 6

Lozenge broken open!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Left is the one true direction of dungeon delving!

6 on the flit train

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

One of the Flits who had done exceptionally well at chipping away at the Lozenge wondered whether some of the other Flits were even taking a moment to admire their handiwork. Didn't look like it.

Oh well, Back to Work: 2d6 8

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Chip down That Lozenge: 1d6 = 3

Little by little, the Flit ate away what was left, which was nothing.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Unleash Lozenergy: 1d6 6

At last!

Ask.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 4, 2019

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Down down down, I trust that vaguely menacing eye to only mean good things

Flit Chompy doing what they do best: 1d6 3

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

They wouldn't call it right if it wasn't.

Lozenge B Gone: 2#1d6 6 6 boxcars!
:coolfish:

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Straight

Flit Flit: 3

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Break Through: 1d6 2

Right

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
2d6 = 10

Go Straigh to use at the best our new jumping power and Ask Obei "well I somehow gave you life so to gain your freedom you'll need to give me something of the same worth don't you think ?"

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Straight

Overkill Loz: 1d6 1

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Left!

Nit Flit: 2d6 9

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Straight ahead is a good vista, and an opportunity to test that feather's leaping capacities! And the child's abilities, besides!

Lozenergize: 1d6 4 (hey better than the first time)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

go right, use your new feather to descend for funsies

Lozenergy: 1d6 1

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Left

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Straight - Always be striving higher and higher!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Right

Break Through: 2d6 11

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Straight

lozrg: 1d6 4

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Straight, mountains always have challenging platforming.

LET'S LOZENGEEEEE: 1d6 2

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Left

Lozenge? LOZENGEEE: 1d6 4

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You rubbed your chin thoughtfully for a moment, then pointed dead ahead. ”An excellent choice, kid. Oh, you’ll love it in there. It’s a cool place to be.” Slowly, the other paths began to close, bricks emerging down from the ceiling of the chamber and closing off like beaks snapping down on their prey. Already you were getting used to this kind of theatricality from Ŭpgrád and rolled your eyes gently at it. Obei was cursing your choice, grumbling about getting his ‘drat legs froze off’, but you smiled at his consternation. When he was just a frog, you’d imagined him exactly like this - he was always trying to hop away from you, but he’d eat the flies and bits of lunch you’d snuck him. You thought of him as an old curmudgeon with a heart of gold, though he’d never given you a reason to actually expect that. You nudged him playfully.

quote:

”Well, I somehow gave you life so to gain your freedom you'll need to give me something of the same worth, don't you think?"
He sputtered in annoyance, then grew quiet. “So you mean if I save your life, you’ll give me the Secret of my Freedom? Alright, it’s a deal!”
  • Hang on a Sec!! - No way, he’d need to do something better than that!
  • Deal! - Fair was fair!

Brushing yourself off, you passed through the doorway into the chill night. You were expecting to feel… something when you passed the threshold, but no, it was like walking out of your house into the village. Perfectly normal and contiguous, despite the fact that there’d been a daytime forest a handful of meters away back in that tunnel. The smell of smoke was stronger here, but stronger still was the fresh, spicy smell of pine needles and clean snow. More snow than you’d ever seen. You marvelled at it, nudging it gently with your foot. How deep was it?

A full moon and a sky of scattered puffy clouds let you see the vista all around you. Beautiful, if sterile. The distant sign of fire caught your eye first - that must be the smoke you smelled. Was the forest burning, or something beyond it? Before that, a great frozen lake, crackled and mottled with pockmarks. In the distance, the path stretched over the hills and beyond. And behind you, the path back to… huh. No, that was gone. Behind you, the path led up, towards the peak of the mountain you were standing on. There was something up there, shining in the moonlight, but the angle was wrong to see it. Well, no sense standing around here - it was a bit nippy out, and moving warmed you up!
  • To the Fire! - The clearest landmark, and the most obvious destination. Maybe someone needed help? At very least it would be warm there. It looked like you’d need to do a bit of cross country, but you spent lots of time running through the forest back home - you’d be fine!
  • To the Lake! - That frozen lake was probably one of the most spectacular things you’d ever seen, and from up close it would probably look even better. You wished your sister was here to see it - she would love it. Maybe you could grab a souvenir?
  • Towards... Belvinton - That signpost was mighty convenient. Why had Ŭpgrád dropped you here? Or, wait, were you still in the Pit? Either way, the distant path led to a place called Belvinton, which was probably a town. Probably they had food and shelter and whatnot.
  • Up to the peak of… Mount Picket - The other signpost direction, though it seemed a little redundant. ‘Mount Picket Peak’, as though you needed directions to figure out where the top of a mountain was. You’d need to have a word with whoever was laying these things out. Jokes aside, that shiny thing was mighty enticing.

Regardless, you needed to start moving. It was beginning to go from ‘pleasantly chill’ to ‘really quite cold’ and you were suddenly achingly aware that you’d left your coat and mits at home. Besides, this pain in your chest was really starting to-

-O-O-
Come on, just a little further! The human girl had gone deeper into the Pit as they’d hoped, giving them plenty of time to pick at her Lozenge. It wasn’t going to be comfortable for her, but she’d need it to have any chance here, and it had been so long since the Flits had had the opportunity. The pressure built as they picked at it, until finally…

Lozenergy spilled out in a great gout, most of it solidifying into Derivatives, but some of it flooding into the girl. Yes, yes, that was very important for her survival etcera etcetera, but there was still much to do! The Derivatives, slightly smaller twins of the original Lozenge, were ripe for the attack! This would go on for some time, each breakage further deriving fractally smaller and smaller Lozenges until… well, until something else happened. The Flits weren’t totally sure - no one had survived long enough for that to happen! They were more than willing to experiment, though.

The Pulse that flooded into the girl sank into her heart, beating in time with it. She could use a Charge to Upgrade a mundane item, making it better than before. Anything she added to her Inventory was fair game. Items that already bore a Charge (such as those the Pit had changed upon her entry) would require an additional Charge for each Charge already invested. And so the Flits would keep breaking the Derivatives as they arose, funneling more and more power into their host - truly legendary things would be hellishly expensive!

[Charges: 1] [Lozenge A - 7/100] [Lozenge B - 100/100]

-O-O-

You coughed, a luminous green mist leaking from between your chattering teeth. That was odd. The pressure in your chest had grown painfully sharp, then subsided before building again. It wasn’t as bad now, but that, uh, wasn’t a great sign. On the other hand, you couldn’t really worry about it right now. It was no longer ‘really quite cold’. The warmth you’d held inside you from the stone tunnels and the fall day you’d left behind was long gone, leaving behind a chill that pushed its way through your flesh like needles, sinking right to the bone. A bitter wind had brought snow, which was now driving against you.

“Mistress, this is dangerous. We will not make it there tonight, I fear. We need to find shelter, and soon!” Too cold to argue, you followed Vups, who led you unerringly through the bleak landscape. You privately thanked your distant gods that you’d chosen her all those weeks ago, had brought her with you into this damned place. You eventually stumbled into a clearing where much of the snow had blown away, leaving a thin coating on frozen earth. You and Obei Mii numbly grabbed some wood, tearing it away with your fingers due to your lack of tools. Then you tossed it in a pile and desperately hauled at the small spark of power Mallon had been nursing.

The wind was too much, and you could hear her voice in your head, chiding you. “Child, you really don’t have the temperment for this. Why can’t you be more like your sister? She was lighting fires when she was half your age - the hard part was stopping her. Ha!” You blinked away tears, feeling something else sitting in your breast, pulsing with your heartbeat.
  • Use the Charge to improve your Spark Affinity! - So cold… maybe this would help you out a little… if you could just… channel this feeling…
  • Try Again! - Dammit, you weren’t going to give up that easily. Calm yourself and light that drat fire!
  • Have Obei Start A Fire! - Command your servant to do it! He knew all kinds of convenient stuff, but often he wouldn’t do it unless asked. Even if not doing might mean his death? Hmm, maybe!
  • Find Better Shelter! - Vups hovered nearby, nervous but unwilling to leave your side. Send her ranging further for somewhere else to take shelter. You could hold on a little longer.
  • Send for Help! - There was a village down the road. Send… Obei or Vups, you supposed. Vups would be faster, but looked pretty spooky. Obei was many things, but threatening was not one of them. Of course, he didn’t like the cold any more than you did.
  • Something Else! - Maybe we could...
:siren:[Inventory Updated - New Charge!]:siren:

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 6, 2019

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

To the fire and Try Again!
Lozenergy can make things better, but getting good at spark on your own might let it rise even higher than Lozenergy alone ever could.

Flit Chompy doing what they do best: 1d6 3

Edit:

Jvie posted:

No. If we word it like that, he's going to get us into mortal peril so that he may then save us.
Instead, help me show to my teacher that I'm not a failure!

Agreed. The frog has made their opinion very clear, and a staged 'accident' for the sake of 'rescuing' us is all too believable at this moment.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 6, 2019

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

quote:

He sputtered in annoyance, then grew quiet. “So you mean if I save your life, you’ll give me the Secret of my Freedom? Alright, it’s a deal!”
No. If we word it like that, he's going to get us into mortal peril so that he may then save us.

quote:

Direction
Towards... Belvinton

quote:

Upgrad
Use the Charge to improve your Spark Affinity!

lorzgn: 1d6 5 @Lozenge A

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Save the Lozenergy for the feather, next round! Triplejump! Or maybe an air-dash?

Chip down That Lozenge: 1d6 5

Now go to the Lake next, but first have Obeii start the fire. That's what he's there for, right?

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Jvie posted:

That is a great idea. Seconded.

We should head for the fire. An easy landmark to follow in this blasted cold, and hopefully within reach.

Especially if (write-in) we use our Charge to infuse protection against the elements in our clothing. That might buy us some extra precious time.

Lozenergize B: 1d6 3

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 6, 2019

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Why not just upgrád our traveling clothes? If we can convert a simple feather into a double-jump charm, we can certainly turn our clothing into something hardy enough for this weather.

Lozenge: 1d6 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
"Deal! with Mii, you little miss carefree!
You've got hoopla feathers, but in chilly weathers,
You're in no decent shape to handle a mountainscape,
So hit up that Village and see what's to pillage,
But before you all go and make yourself grow,
Vups better find Shelter in which you may swelter!

Oh heave! Oh ho! Lozengin' we go!"

Flit The First chanted a silly song as it furiously resumed attacking the second Division.

Flit The First: 1d6 6

"Finally!" exclaimed Flit The First, feeling their teensome power swell tinyly.

Poltergrift posted:

Why not just upgrád our traveling clothes? If we can convert a simple feather into a double-jump charm, we can certainly turn our clothing into something hardy enough for this weather.

Dinictus posted:

Especially if (write-in) we use our Charge to infuse protection against the elements in our clothing. That might buy us some extra precious time.

"Because a fire's for TWO, not ONE.
What use is a servant who's GONE?"

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 6, 2019