Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m on PC as Templar895, also, they’re giving out Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $2 for 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Taintrunner posted:

I’m on PC as Templar895, also, they’re giving out Xbox Game Pass Ultimate $2 for 2 months.

I don't fully understand this new trend of companies giving away their brand new AAA games for close to free but I like it.

yes i know they are banking on people staying with their subscription service for longer than the value of the game but microsoft is not getting the hundred dollars a gears 5 preorder costs from my soon to be canceled subscription

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Despite Sun God Avatar making this thread, Gears 5 is awesome and exactly what I wanted.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Game rules so far.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Servers seem to be fubar right now, I'm bummed my friend & I couldn't play tonight but this happens with literally every AAA online game launch so eh. Naturally you have people writing off the game entirely in the first 2 hours after release because of this.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Despite Sun God Avatar making this thread, Gears 5 is awesome and exactly what I wanted.

Haha! Listen I know the gamble every time this happens. I’m a good sport about it :)

Real talk, this game is surprisingly good. Big step up imo over 4. So far, so good.

I think the $2 price point helps too. Can definitely play this for a bit while more good games drop. It’s worth trying out lurkers!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't believe I'm saying this but it feels like the devs stopped listening to Shinedown 24/7 and put some actual color into this game. There's a early setpiece that felt like something out of Nier Automata.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this but it feels like the devs stopped listening to Shinedown 24/7 and put some actual color into this game. There's a early setpiece that felt like something out of Nier Automata.

The game is super beautiful. Both the single player, and the multiplayer maps.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Multiplayer feels bad. Most of what I feared is happening.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I know what part you're talking about and it made me laugh. It was really good .

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Game absolutely refuses to start on my PC, and I have a GTX 1060. Every time the game starts up I get a 502 error. Probably refunding and/or waiting until they update.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I only played Gears 1 when it came out. Apparently Marcus Fenix’s wife had a baby with this Bayonetta looking First Minister over some “fertility project?” Can someone catch me up on this?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

So I only played Gears 1 when it came out. Apparently Marcus Fenix’s wife had a baby with this Bayonetta looking First Minister over some “fertility project?” Can someone catch me up on this?

Lmao I am in the same boat, played Gears 1 and not the rest of the series. I have no clue what's going on, where did this Swarm come from?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Marcus was with the woman from Gears 1, Anya Stroud, and apparently they couldn't have a baby and had JD thanks to an experimental fertility procedure that slowly killed her die to being new. This has never been told until now, we had no idea why she died.

The swarm are the locust just mutated. And fused with some human dna.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the gently caress.

Also pardon my radical leftism for a hot minute but this extended Hamilton tribute is violently offensive to me

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The leader lady is just using her being pregnant as to try and say how much of a hero Anya was for dying to help them learn how to do it. Marcus exiled himself after the war and even more after she passed away. He's only here because of JD and the Swarm. The COG are the bad guys.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLWtoItpYH8

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Even with GamePass, I've got no desire to play a new Gears game in 2019. It's a series that just screams "last generation," and there's far, FAR too many better games to waste your time on Gears.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They have this in-game too, I really appreciated having it there because I don't remember a goddamn thing about the first games other than Cole Train's "Lookit allthat JUICE!". Also it gave me something to do while seeing if the servers would unfuck itself. To be honest I forgot that at some point the enemy faction is completely wiped out and then a new one was introduced in the next game that looks and acts exactly like the antagonists of the original trilogy so as to not change the gameplay that much from the original.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gears 4 is amazingly dumb. Apparently no one ever taught the kids what the murderous monster men were so everyone's just like "what the gently caress is a locust". Meanwhile the new locusts appear to be led by the guys who shouted BOOM and GRIND a lot in the other games lmao

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Bah, game is locking my pc up hard.
Dxgmms2.sys page fault, which is rare for AMD supposedly.
Latest drivers, updates etc, gently caress knows

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Multiplayer doesn't let you play as the locust queen from Gears 3, so that is at least one check against it. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

Multiplayer doesn't let you play as the locust queen from Gears 3, so that is at least one check against it. :colbert:

Can you play as the president from 2?

"DO AS I SAY AND DIE"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RBX posted:

The leader lady is just using her being pregnant as to try and say how much of a hero Anya was for dying to help them learn how to do it. Marcus exiled himself after the war and even more after she passed away. He's only here because of JD and the Swarm. The COG are the bad guys.

I'm glad that they are finally going "yeah the cog are actually super bad" but little kids running all over the map yelling "the fascists are coming" may be a wee bit on the nose.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm glad that they are finally going "yeah the cog are actually super bad" but little kids running all over the map yelling "the fascists are coming" may be a wee bit on the nose.

i mean the cog were always the bad guys in the lore/games. its just unlike halo they are actually making it up front and center this time around. which is nice.

RBA Starblade posted:

Gears 4 is amazingly dumb. Apparently no one ever taught the kids what the murderous monster men were so everyone's just like "what the gently caress is a locust". Meanwhile the new locusts appear to be led by the guys who shouted BOOM and GRIND a lot in the other games lmao

4 to me always felt like a bad expansion pack to 3. 5 so far feels like a proper sequel. plus its fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you play as the president from 2?

"DO AS I SAY AND DIE"

Nope! None of the cool characters from the previous Gears games are in this in multiplayer. Unless they are unlocks, but I am really not sure.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

We have a Fortnite style content system with a batch of new stuff and challenges every few months. Our favorite characters will be sold to us this time.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Well, it seems like the Xbox Game Pass needs Windows 1903 update, and for some reason Microsoft has decided my machine isn't ready for the update yet. Guess I'll be playing Gears 5 later this year after the update comes to my computer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Well, it seems like the Xbox Game Pass needs Windows 1903 update, and for some reason Microsoft has decided my machine isn't ready for the update yet. Guess I'll be playing Gears 5 later this year after the update comes to my computer.

After some very quick googling the directions here include steps to force it through the download assistant. Or you can wait until later this year :shrug:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

explosivo posted:

After some very quick googling the directions here include steps to force it through the download assistant. Or you can wait until later this year :shrug:

IIRC the assistant kept failing for me so I just used a full ISO.
Had another machine that needed prompting via the assistant thing and it was fine. Really everyone should be updated by now, but poo poo happens

I've spent 3 hours trying, and failing to fix my crashing issue, so I want to smash my PC with a hammer now though

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 6, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having a lot of trouble with anything multiplayer related. Maps taking forever to load, gamemodes not being available, very long queue times to find matches, etc. The launch issues are not really surprising, but a little bit frustrating.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This campaign is so much better than 4

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am having a lot of trouble with anything multiplayer related. Maps taking forever to load, gamemodes not being available, very long queue times to find matches, etc. The launch issues are not really surprising, but a little bit frustrating.

Server issues are borked right now. Having the same issues. Just playing as much single player as I can personally.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah it's been broken since last night. Glad I didn't take off work.

Gonna play more campaign and try escape this weekend. The single player has really exceeded my expectations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm glad that I have some game sense after playing all these.

"Wow this chainsaw ripper sure is placed prominently at the start of this new section...maybe I should take it"

Spoiler: loving glad I did.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Server issues are borked right now. Having the same issues. Just playing as much single player as I can personally.

Aw man this is a bummer. I'm going to be playing through this with a friend of mine so I can't really skip ahead and start playing solo.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Coop is fine, multi is broken.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Disposable Scud posted:

This campaign is so much better than 4

Having only played the first one over 10 years ago, 20 minutes of 4 and now this its still a bit weird to have the same universe with slightly off-looking brodudes but now it has some sort of family drama and is somehow not as terrible written as I'd expected after the recap.

also looks great and runs pretty nice. Good game so far.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I feel like there are way too many of those gollum looking fuckers in act 2. I'm hoping they tone down all the melee enemies because it's making combat a slog.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Xbox Live appears to actually be completely down right now lol.

Edit: Sign-in's are, at least.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So it isn't just me.