Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On that note the amazing reveal that Marcus' failson shot protestors and his "I'm disappointed in you son" pose is great compared to their entire society and world being founded around warcriming and mass murdering everything as much as possible at all times until that fateful day where you, too, are warcrimed, possibly by a dinosaur monster with rocket launcher hands, or a space commie

Also it's hilarious how JD and Del are larger than in Gears 4 but still tinier than the steroid monsters that are the original cast

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I'm really wondering what the point of JD + Fahz even being in this game was at all, they could have had you playing through as Kait the whole way and not lost anything. JD's whole reveal of his warcrimes was SO shoehorned in, and Fahz is just an awful and pointless character.

Although to be honest I really liked the scene where he fails hard with the Hammer of Dawn, it was a breath of fresh air to see a main character gently caress up that bad - too bad they don't follow it up with anything and he's just... There for the rest of the game.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Fahz owns and is the best character, followed closely by the melted face desert russian guy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a cute touch having the artwork on the walls in the hotel be the multiplayer map icons from previous games.

This is super janky feeling altogether though. Other players keep crashing and it doesn't load assets pretty regularly. I like Escape but it needs way more than five levels, god drat. The game feels half baked.

Escape feels like something added late in development. Like it was something a few of the map designers were doing on their own to get a better feel for the design tools and a producer liked it enough it to make it a feature. It has a post release mod community feel to it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
If Gears 5 were a more interesting game, Fahz would have been the protagonist of Act 3. Kait doesn't have any story to speak of in Act 3, and there's some juice in the conflict between Fahz and Paduk over Fahz's (lack of) connection to Vasgar.

That would require Act 4 to somehow connect to the themes of the rest of the game, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm a little frustrated with the multiplayer. If I try to chainsaw someone, someone breathing in my general direction makes me flinch and cancels the chainsaw attempt, whereas I nailed someone with a 79% gnasher shot as he calmly walked toward me with his saw raised and got cut in half for my efforts.

I know it's Gears and it will probably always be a "feature" of the game, but the Gnasher inconsistency drives me crazy. Spot-on hipfire shots do 89-97% damage to the enemy while I'm the one getting gibbed.

The Lancer is worthless for the most part, except to down fleeing enemies who are hurt.

Power weapons seem way less important in this game so far, aside from the Longshot and Embar. I don't know why but I just don't feel the fear I used to when I see an enemy with a Boomshot or Dropshot.

I still miss the Hammerburst, as having the exact same default loadout every single game just kinda gets boring after a while, and the maps are still too small/same-y.

I like the game, but for an AAA title it definitely feels a bit rushed.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'll go into a big effort post about multiplayer later but in regard to the story:

My hot take is Kait was made protagonist just for brownie points, JD was a much interesting character in this game and he's barely touched upon and all of Kait's "Revelations" aren't as big as TC acts like they are. She's not important anymore other than the contrived way they connected her to the baddies that isn't even explained wellm

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RBX posted:

My hot take is Kait was made protagonist just for brownie points, JD was a much interesting character in this game and he's barely touched upon and all of Kait's "Revelations" aren't as big as TC acts like they are. She's not important anymore other than the contrived way they connected her to the baddies that isn't even explained wellm

Her relationship with the Outsiders is interesting; it's just abandoned halfway through act 2 to rehash plot points from Gears 2. I don't think she's there for "brownie points" any more than making JD the son of Marcus Fenix is pandering.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I agree on the first part but JD was always going to exist. Marcus and Anya deserved a happy ending and him having conflict with his dad could be interesting knowing all that we know he went through. They half-rear end do this in 5 but Marucs is more of a walking info dump. They also did Anya really dirty, Ism hate how they handled that.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
This is the only versus gears multiplayer that I've liked, but I think that's just because I'm living in a new place with better internet and my ping is always the lowest in the match. I'm not getting instagibbed as much anymore! Horde is still kinda lame though and was better in Gears 2 and 4.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Seeing Shroud and Dr Disrespect stream this to thousands of viewers, finally making it popular again is some real monkey's paw poo poo. I wanted this to be big again for years and when it finally happens it's a dumbed down, slower version of what used to be.

First things first: Anybody who calls this an only shotgun game doesn't know how to play. Since Gears 1 at high level play and even pub play Lancer is king. It's gotten buffed and stronger every game to cater to people that whine and now in gears 5 it can down you in a second and kill 3 people in one clip with an active. Its too good. Camping with a lancer is a recipe for easy wins and because they made the maps to cater to this playstyle its stronger than ever. You make talk about all the close quarters areas that seem like their made for shotgun fights but every area on every map has multiple places that you can be crossed (Lancered by multiple people).

Yes the shotgun is still strong as it van one shot kill (duh) BUT it's been nerfed so hard. It has 6 shots, down from 8. They have removed the damage increase from getting an active reload. Getting an active only reloads your full clips, getting a non-active only reloads 3 bullets. Combine that with them changing the damage omen to smear red poo poo all on your screen to nerf people fighting multiple people with as shotgun. You also go down alot faster than ever before. Then factor in the map design and strength of the long range weapons and clips like this will rarely happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zazdJuVzzWA

My screen would be red for days, I wouldn't see any other people coming, somebody would've polly lancered me down, I wouldn't have enough shots to quickly kill without reloading, etc.

Another thing is that the mopvement feels more clunky and slow like it's Gears 1 again. I've played Gears 4 and 5 back to back matches and the difference is obvious. Wallbouncing only works on bad players now. the aim assist on every gun is crazy strong and renders most movement null. This is how it looks now. All the times I get stuck on cover or catch somebody that had to reload. It's a clusterfuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSgfzGyciFk

The skill gap has been squished. Bad players will still be bad and good players will still be good but the people in the middle will suffer the most from inconsistencies. Its easier than ever to get kills just by being first to an aera that is had to break without a power weapon due to how easy it is to set up and team shoot. It was already a strong strat in past gears but this is a whole new level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Narratively the stupidest thing was the Del vs. JD the game forces on you because that aint a real choice and also it fucks up the story telling of 6 since that was a player choice

And they should finish this trilogy and do a "40 years later" game where you fight the super fascist COG full-stop and hopefully add tons of destructible terrain so you are the "destroyed beauty" maker of Gears. Maybe on one of Sera's moons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Let us play Drone #4627, fighting to destroy the fascists for the glory of Space Bug-People Communism.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Let us play Drone #4627, fighting to destroy the fascists for the glory of Space Bug-People Communism.

You could for one very brief sequence in game but youre only allowed to kill one non-fascist

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Barudak posted:

You could for one very brief sequence in game but youre only allowed to kill one non-fascist

You can kill the nameless Outsiders in that sequence if you want.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
Dinosaur Gum
I've never played one of these gears games before so I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could crowd control with the lancer

https://i.imgur.com/pbRBpM5.gifv

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Is there an option for limiting the servers I get put in (ranked), so I only stay in Europe? I keep getting put on US servers and my pings poo poo, makes it pretty frustrating.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nope, last time they did that when the population fell off nobody could find matches. A large portion of the Gears community is Spanish/Mexican? So they try to make sure they can get matches.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

RBX posted:

Nope, last time they did that when the population fell off nobody could find matches. A large portion of the Gears community is Spanish/Mexican? So they try to make sure they can get matches.

That's annoying. It's like playing two different games when your ping is 25 VS 100, one of those games is extra poo poo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Some of the maps koth points are realllll shittily placed wrt spawns. I'm going to stick with elimination.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Picked this up yesterday and it's pretty good but I dunno why they thought putting snipers in the game that can kill you in one hit while you're in cover was a solid idea.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Haven't touched the story yet because I only got a chance to play a bit of multiplayer before Destiny sucked me back in and I'm coming back to the game and realized I have no idea how the tour of duty stuff works at all. It seems like there's 3 goals but is it stuff that changes daily/weekly or something else? It seems that's what all the unlocks are behind and it would be nice to not miss out on some of the fun customization stuff (like that Imago skin that's gone) if possible.

Trying to casually keep up with multiple games that all do this time-limited grind stuff is tricky :smith:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SUNKOS posted:

Haven't touched the story yet because I only got a chance to play a bit of multiplayer before Destiny sucked me back in and I'm coming back to the game and realized I have no idea how the tour of duty stuff works at all. It seems like there's 3 goals but is it stuff that changes daily/weekly or something else? It seems that's what all the unlocks are behind and it would be nice to not miss out on some of the fun customization stuff (like that Imago skin that's gone) if possible.

Trying to casually keep up with multiple games that all do this time-limited grind stuff is tricky :smith:

That's how live service games tend to be. They want to keep you playing weekly/daily.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

SUNKOS posted:

They added a lot of the old skins to the new store, so you can earn currency to get those (or buy them) if you want!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The newest update finally bring this to being an actual game you should spend money on. Many fixes, bugs squashed mostly, game plays good. Try it again. Gears is finally back for me and it feels good. Store is perfect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been playing Gears 5 again, and its a lot of fun. This has improved quite a bit since launch. A lot of people got this for Christmas and jumped straight into multiplayer though and it shows. So MP this weekend has been frustrating. Thank god for constant 300% exp boost to make up for it.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I bought this on sale, never played four and am confused why the game isn’t about Del aka Swole Geordi Laforge, the best character

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Quicksilver6 posted:

I bought this on sale, never played four and am confused why the game isn’t about Del aka Swole Geordi Laforge, the best character

Because the third act is a bunch of random nothings before octopus lady shows up. I agree with the post above, the third act should have been about Fahz or even Del since both of them have a lot more to do in act 3 than Kait or JD.

I also think the choice to save JD or Del is nuts and dumb but I do find it hilarious how much tonal whiplash killing JD causes. Marcus's reaction to JD's death is genuinely well done but its kind of undercut when ten minutes later you're watching the Coletrain and his Gundam get eaten in a fakeout death scene that is downright comedic, complete with Fenix giving out a big screaming NOOOO.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!
Dinosaur Gum
I really like what they did with horde mode, nobody ever stayed for 50 waves or whatever in the old style

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On the game feel side if things i like how crunchy the kills are in Gears. Every enemy you drop feels really satisfying in spite of their objective status as bullet sponges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
my friend and i have been playing horde. whats the best classes to make things easier on higher difficulties?