Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

:siren: :siren: THE GAME OPENS UP AFTER FILE 3 STICK WITH IT UNTIL THEN!!! :siren: :siren:

So, sell me on this game

Astral Chain is a character action game from the same developers of Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising: Revengence, and The Wonderful 101. You play as a police cop who very quickly is given control of creature known as a Legion, who you can summon and who fights alongside you.

This sounds kind of like a Stand from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

It kind of is!

Astral Chain came out on August 30th.

[This post will be expanded on as soon as I get deeper into the game]

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Respectfully, the alternate title is better than the actual threat title.

Thank you for making this thread.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Wish I could drive around in a little tank

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I'm glad to announce that not only can you take selfies with the enemies/npcs to unlock their data files, you can also make your legion hold the camera to set up a 3rd person photograph while your protagonist makes a goofy pose.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I am very excited to be playing a new Platinum game

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I appreciate the dude cop wearing a bulletproof vest over his crotch.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

JackDarko posted:

Respectfully, the alternate title is better than the actual threat title.

Thank you for making this thread.

:hai:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I asked a mod to change it. Have no fear.

And I'm just stealing this from the Switch thread in case you're wary of playing a good guy cop.

Augus posted:

So,
Cops in Japan are in many ways very different than in America. Their police is completely demilitarized, the only guns they carry around are dinky revolvers that haven’t been upgraded since the 60’s because they are barely ever used. Annual gun deaths are consistently in the single digits as a result of strong gun control laws. Their crime rate is one of the lowest in the world and their repeat offense rate is even lower.
This isn’t to say there isn’t abuse, the fact that there are so few crimes has led to cases where bored police officers wasted time and resources on pointless stake-outs for extremely petty offenses. But the fact is that people don’t get gunned down by police in Japan like they do in America. In media they tend to be depicted more like civil servants than the “strong arm of the law hammering down on criminal scum.” They’re the guys who get your cat out of the tree and clean up litter.
This is all just to say that the whole “super-cops” thing probably has different connotations in a country that isn’t a total militarized police state hellhole.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When's our Marie spinoff series?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man the default control scheme feels kinda bad.

Easy enough to fix but still.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man the default control scheme feels kinda bad.

Easy enough to fix but still.
Preset C is more along the lines of bayo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Preset C is more along the lines of bayo

Yeah I immediately changed to it. It's definitely a lot better.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what do these camera options even do

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Aerial enemies in a game where you can't jump kinda blows chunks even if lockon is a thing. Sure, lemme just switch between the six targets all trying to kill me.

Also perfect dodge and counter is a trap

I need to compile a list of actions that gives you iframes because it definitely isn't the standard action game's "you're safe as long as your timing is spot on" style.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 31, 2019

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This game looks interesting. Shame you play as a cop.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I was going to make a joke about how you play as a cop that picks up cans and recycles them if they walk by them.

I was impressed that the game added that detail and then they had me beat the poo poo out of civilians.

I think everyone is on edge in this post apocalyptic setting.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

JackDarko posted:

I was going to make a joke about how you play as a cop that picks up cans and recycles them if they walk by them.

I was impressed that the game added that detail and then they had me beat the poo poo out of civilians.

I think everyone is on edge in this post apocalyptic setting.

It gets uncomfortable when the game asks you to use your chained interdimensional hellbeast to subdue suspects.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
not everything has to be a political statement y'know

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Reallycoolname posted:

Can we just agree that it is unfortunate?

Also, for people coming in: The combat system starts to come into its own around File 3. And use sync attacks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not super far into the game but the characters forcibly chaining demons to help them fight very much seems to be a statement. It feels like it's supposed to be read as "Yo, this is kind of messed up"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something that took me an embarrassingly long time to realize is that for the tripwire thing against charge attacks to work, you have to still be holding down the legion button.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Astral

Chimeras

Acquire

Bad cops

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chaos Legion 2 is good.

Does chapter select become available only after you beat the story? I've apparently missed cats and toilets and who knows what else. Might want to jump into that after I get all the legions.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SelenicMartian posted:

Chaos Legion 2 is good.

Does chapter select become available only after you beat the story? I've apparently missed cats and toilets and who knows what else. Might want to jump into that after I get all the legions.

Nah its on the PC as soon as you have access to HQ

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Aw gently caress, there are holographic walls you can walk through and IRIS doesn't see.

Got S+ for beating an unarmed man, wow.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 31, 2019

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ohtsam posted:

Nah its on the PC as soon as you have access to HQ

You can also use this as a way to switch between male and female player characters mid-game, as replaying the prologue includes character creation. Unfortunately your customization on one twin doesn't stick if you change to the other.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Reallycoolname posted:

No its 2019, literally everything is a political statement.

The fact I used tab + enter instead of mousing over "post" was a political statement.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Marie, stop jiggling!

Holy crap, you can fight in the mascot outfit.

...I still want amiibo support for free goodies.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Reallycoolname posted:

It doesn't have to be, but games are still political. Politics is the subject of what rules should govern society. In games, those rules are already pre-set and governed by the developers. Meaning simply by existing a game has a political disposition. How much of a "statement" it is varies case by case, but like don't be pickachuface.jpeg when the developer of a game which views characters as tools for the player to manipulate and discard, turns out to be a psychologically manipulative sexual predator.

But on the topic: I hope you get to actually customize your stand, instead of it just being so generic protagonist godstand.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 31, 2019

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can customise your stand but it's not as involved as player customisation.

Also man, ranking is wonky. Time seems to be the only thing that really matters, sometimes it's pretty fair and sometimes it's really lenient. In some fights i've been getting knocked around the entire time and consuming a bunch of potions and still getting an S rank. While in others i'll play pretty well counter a bunch of moves and use all my tools and get like a C.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SweetBro posted:

But on the topic: I hope you get to actually customize your stand, instead of it just being so generic protagonist godstand.

There's color customization (that you have to unlock) and a skill tree. That's it.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
One of the very first color pallets for your legion you unlock is Eva 1's color scheme, in case you thought the evangelion parallels were too subtle.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You can customise your stand but it's not as involved as player customisation.

Also man, ranking is wonky. Time seems to be the only thing that really matters, sometimes it's pretty fair and sometimes it's really lenient. In some fights i've been getting knocked around the entire time and consuming a bunch of potions and still getting an S rank. While in others i'll play pretty well counter a bunch of moves and use all my tools and get like a C.

Yeah, I finished one fight in literally 3 seconds and that was only enough for a B apparently. Other times I played really terribly and got an S rank. Honestly, I would like it better for these games to just grade me at the end of the level as in DMC. That way, if individual fights have weird requirements it won't matter as much.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The Astral Plane is the pits.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

The Astral Plane is the pits.

I don't think so, platforming/puzzles are surprisingly varied, it's where most of the combat takes place, the fun meat of the game

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

KonvexKonkav posted:

Yeah, I finished one fight in literally 3 seconds and that was only enough for a B apparently. Other times I played really terribly and got an S rank. Honestly, I would like it better for these games to just grade me at the end of the level as in DMC. That way, if individual fights have weird requirements it won't matter as much.

Super short rights can screw you if you don't get all the perfect summons etc

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mostly it's the pits. The arrow unlock fight was all about the pits, the doggie ride tutorial was all about the pits...

What's the point of legion maintenance apart from washing your dog, by the way?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I love how the 'Astral Chain' logo is covering up the scoliosis-pose spandex booty of girlcop on the Switch desktop tile for the game.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEiZ13Jkbxk

The soundtrack alone has sold me on this game. I never thought I'd hear djent/progressive metal inspired riffs in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Of course, it has to be THIS game, in which the joycons that came with my original Switch purchase (Dec of 2017) pick up a leftward drift that can't be calibrated out. Ugh.