Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Oxxidation posted:

file 3 cerberus fight:

"do you have perfect call? do you know how to use it? you don't? oh no. oh nooooooooo"

you can end that fight instantly by chain countering its attacks so that it flies off the edge of the arena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

you can end that fight instantly by chain countering its attacks so that it flies off the edge of the arena

i just beat it to death the old-fashioned way but that's good to know

i wasn't aware you could chain-counter attacks that didn't have that glowing red trail

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

pretty sick of these gimmick fights you can only s+ with no damage, and how they always put them after tedious poo poo you can't skip

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 10, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the #1 thing that fucks me up in this game is that your counterattack after a perfect dodge doesn't have any invincibility frames. I've taken so much damage by dodging the first strike but being hit by the 2nd strike in the middle of my counter, but I can't stop doing it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

the #1 thing that fucks me up in this game is that your counterattack after a perfect dodge doesn't have any invincibility frames. I've taken so much damage by dodging the first strike but being hit by the 2nd strike in the middle of my counter, but I can't stop doing it

Try using beast or arm sync counter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

Just checking, are you in file 02? Don't treat that as representative.

Aside from that, this gallery has a bunch of useful information that is explained nowhere. https://imgur.com/a/vL4edct

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm in File 6 right now, I know that Fist and Beast have sync attacks on dodge that are invincible, and I know about Perfect Call, but I cant help myself on using the counterattacks with Sword and Arrow, which get me hit more often than not

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
perfect dodge is a cruel trap, because you're supposed to use perfect call to avoid damage but good luck convincing your muscle memory of that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Not immediately countering after a perfect dodge is the hardest thing. The game slows down, you get a little blue flash... Do it. Do iiiiit. Just hit the button. You know you want to counter

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N8riifuriI

Someone finally did the thing and mixed both versions of Dark Hero together.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's a couple of those floating around and YMMV on how good they actually go together; they're 4 semitones off from each other so just overlaying them as-is sounds horrifying (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3zWI3OPRd8), so you have to adjust the pitch on at least one of them so they're both matching. I'm partial to this version that has them meet in the middle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfPB9_p0HTU).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Which sick gently caress put stealth sections in this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Which sick gently caress put stealth sections in this?

I mean you have magical invisible ghost robots. The stealth isn't really punishing.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm in the post game and trying to do the end game orders of things like 'find all the chests' 'get every glowy blue item' and 'find all the dig spots' and this is hell. I can't decide if the hidden archer spots or the dog dig spots are worse.

The least it could is include a counter for 'how many of each are in this chapter' like it has for the red and blue cases, so I can narrow down where to search.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 11, 2019

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
oh my god dodging while wearing the arm legion gives you rocket boosters.

this game is amazing.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I'm absolutely stuck. I have one enemy left in this fight in chapter 6, casual mode. He's one of the purple ring invincible ones but... There is no link to cut. What the heck am I missing.

Nothing highlights when I move my slash all over it...

E: nevermind the little guy was hidden on stage and I had to shoot him with a bow... Never seen that before.

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 11, 2019

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

E: nevermind the little guy was hidden on stage and I had to shoot him with a bow... Never seen that before.

Don't feel bad, I spent several minutes slashing at him like mad until I figured out the game switched things up.

And just wait, eventually the little jerks start hiding in the ground.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Pulsarcat posted:

Don't feel bad, I spent several minutes slashing at him like mad until I figured out the game switched things up.

And just wait, eventually the little jerks start hiding in the ground.

I even tried shooting the ring thinking... Maybe if there's no link it's like a target...?

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I even tried shooting the ring thinking... Maybe if there's no link it's like a target...?

The next time you run into one of them, instead of shooting at them try chain jumping up too them, I'm not too sure if it can only be done with certain legions, but if I remember right pulling off a successful air combo will end with you smashing them back too the ground, it's crazy satisfying.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
How in the world do you S+ rank the first stealth section in file 6? I managed to do the one right after, but even when I rush as fast as possible and don't get caught at all I only got an A.

edit- ok seems like stealth binding -all- the guards was the key to it. It gives you a giant 8000 point bonus.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 11, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Just as a heads up you’ll encounter yet another one of those that requires another legion to deal with.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
dodge backwards yo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at the mission clear screen, what are those things that look like little sparkles and pawprints next to the Items Collected number?

apparently in case 4 i got 12/21 sparkles and 0/2 pawprints, not sure what it indicates

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxxidation posted:

at the mission clear screen, what are those things that look like little sparkles and pawprints next to the Items Collected number?

apparently in case 4 i got 12/21 sparkles and 0/2 pawprints, not sure what it indicates

Sparkles are either items just on the ground, not in boxes; or they are the blue sparks you'll find hovering in the level in various places that you shoot with the arrow legion. Both will give you items.

The pawprints are hidden dig spots you need the Beast Legion for. These spots will not show up on IRIS, you literally need to have the doggo out and see if he starts indicating there's a spot nearby. When you're close your IRIS will show a small flashing blue circle on the ground.

Yes, there are hidden things you need later-game legions for in much earlier files; you'll have to replay them to pick everything up!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Sparkles are either items just on the ground, not in boxes; or they are the blue sparks you'll find hovering in the level in various places that you shoot with the arrow legion. Both will give you items.

The pawprints are hidden dig spots you need the Beast Legion for. These spots will not show up on IRIS, you literally need to have the doggo out and see if he starts indicating there's a spot nearby. When you're close your IRIS will show a small flashing blue circle on the ground.

Yes, there are hidden things you need later-game legions for in much earlier files; you'll have to replay them to pick everything up!

yeah i gathered that much when i saw my first dumpster in case 2. good to know about the icons though

are there any recommendations for getting S+ ranks? i know that mixing up skills gets you more points but i still get the poo poo kicked out of me so much that i often finish with an A or an S if i'm lucky

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Time is the most important factor for getting S+ ranks it seems

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxxidation posted:

are there any recommendations for getting S+ ranks? i know that mixing up skills gets you more points but i still get the poo poo kicked out of me so much that i often finish with an A or an S if i'm lucky

CharlestonJew posted:

Time is the most important factor for getting S+ ranks it seems

Speed can get you an S+ but is in no way required. If the total points you get post-combat is 10k or higher you'll get the S+ rank. Finishing super fast so that time by itself is half or more of that 10k will get you a S+ no problem; taking no damage is either 5000 or 6000 points by itself which, combined with other things, also gets you S+ pretty reliably.

But if you don't want/can't finish a fight way below expected clear time or kill a dozen enemies flawlessly, you can just stack up smaller modifiers and they will add up to S+. Do sync attacks from attack combos, from chain binds, and from perfect dodges. Use 3+ legions to kill things in a single combat. Get a headshot with the arrow legion. Stun dudes with the beast legion's howl skill. Get a perfect call. Use combat items. Use multiple legion skills. There are two separate bonuses for sync attacks, chain binds, and legion skills, depending on how many you do in a single fight, and you always want to shoot for all of them at a minimum.

It's worth mentioning that for shorter or more focused fights, where you're fighting a single boss enemy for example, you usually can't get off everything and do need a reasonably quick clear for a time bonus bump; on standard that gets easier over time as you upgrade your X-Baton and legions.

I'm in postgame combat and dragging my shitter self through massive gauntlets of powerful enemies jamming meds into my system and coasting on the 200% health boost when I die and need my magic pacemaker to bring me back; despite getting the worst results for time, attacks, and dodging, I'm still reliably getting 11000-14000 points to S+ when it's over just by using every single tool the game gives you. That probably won't remain true across all of the postgame but for the main story it works fine.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Well, completed the main story now. I enjoyed most of it even though some of it was a bit predictable and the length was perfect, just enough to feel satisfied without being bored. The arm legion was my main one, with the sword legion coming in second. Never really liked the axe one, just felt too slow to me. Not sure I have enough interest to plow through the post-game at the moment though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
For File 8, when you have 12 minutes to clean up all the red matter on the roof, how on earth do you get to the section with the floating platforms and a bunch of gates sitting around? I spent most of the 12 minutes combing that place up and down and could not find it at all

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh, man, why did they ever hold back showing Kyle until File 6? He's so good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

with sword legion do the 360 RT and then keep mashing RT for a good time

https://i.vgy.me/s3ec4F.webm

more cool tips: send your dog at enemies and just just let him spin. great for flying and cloaking enemies, locks them down completely. and the axe legion's send move breaks shield bubbles instantly.

CharlestonJew posted:

For File 8, when you have 12 minutes to clean up all the red matter on the roof, how on earth do you get to the section with the floating platforms and a bunch of gates sitting around? I spent most of the 12 minutes combing that place up and down and could not find it at all

you can crouch or slide under some pipes. took me forever to figure out too.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Oh, man, why did they ever hold back showing Kyle until File 6? He's so good.

he's the Most Cyberpunk and I love him

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 15, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i finished the postgame today. the last mission is cool although maybe not quite worth the time and frustration it took getting there. there's no big reward for it aside from satisfaction

here's a trick for it: you can repeatedly stunlock it during the first half of the fight, i think it's just a matter of doing a huge amount of damage in a short window. so slap some attack ups on your axe legion, equip the gladius, chug an attack up drink and use blue shield and the attack buff skill then go ham on it. keep rolling behind it for bigger damage and if things go well you can eat through more than half of its life bar before it recovers.

if there's any convenient trick for the second phase i never found it :shrug: so good luck!

remembered another tip: unlock the camera when you're running from the instant kill vacuum, for whatever reason it was a lot more consistent for me when running away from the camera

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 15, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Man, every other file I keep asking myself "Wait, is this the game actually starting?"

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

lets hang out posted:

with sword legion do the 360 RT and then keep mashing RT for a good time

https://i.vgy.me/s3ec4F.webm

There are actually a decent number of sync attacks that be extended with your regular attack.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Akira: "So did you hear anything about strange phenomena, and where they're happening?"
Me: "Ghostly armour"
Akira: *bzzt* "Hmmm no, I heard people say it was at the mall. Now what did people say they saw there?"
Me: "... ghostly armour?"
Akira: *bzzt* "No, I heard it was strange tentacles. Oh by the way, did you hear anything about ghostly armour too?"
Me: "Do you want your legion back? Because I'm ready to shove it up your rear end right about now"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I got that one two, though it’s obvious the first two are tentacles and the mall.

It’s not obvious what I order they want them in

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That's not obvious at all! Both the ghost and the tentacles were seen at the mall, it even says so when you look at the additional details for the keywords.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I saw this on Discord, sick can throwing tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYrzyh0dIU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat File 10 and hot drat tell me I get to do that more after this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can! On command, even!

It's your Devil Trigger. Click in the sticks when the meter under your health bar's full and you'll do it and kick off Dark Hero for the duration of the fusion. You build meter by doing sync attacks.