Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Man I want to like this game so bad. The combat is great but the camera is complete and utter poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I'm enjoying the Chapter 12 post game cases a lot more than the main game. The first few were pretty boring, but after about 20 or so they've gotten pretty challenging to the point that I have to use all of the items it gives me to get through, especially when there's only one revival. It might be getting to a point now where I have to make sure to slot in the required don't get stunned, avoid slime, don't get frozen things which I'm too lazy to do for each fight so I might stop where I am. I have no idea how many there actually are because last night it just added what felt like 10 more, but I'm glad I played them to see just how challenging it can get

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Scylo posted:

I'm enjoying the Chapter 12 post game cases a lot more than the main game. The first few were pretty boring, but after about 20 or so they've gotten pretty challenging to the point that I have to use all of the items it gives me to get through, especially when there's only one revival. It might be getting to a point now where I have to make sure to slot in the required don't get stunned, avoid slime, don't get frozen things which I'm too lazy to do for each fight so I might stop where I am. I have no idea how many there actually are because last night it just added what felt like 10 more, but I'm glad I played them to see just how challenging it can get

There are 71. R1 are casual difficulty, R2 are standard, R3 are ultimate.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Just beat the game. The story starts off ok but turns into nonsense at the end. I have no idea what Jena's plan was, Akira goes through like 5 different personality shifts throughout the game, your Neuron buddies the game spends half the time building up disappear near the end, and your dad might have been turned into the Axe Legion, somehow? The camera sucks, motion controls make me want to die, and the game feels like this weird hodgepodge of ideas and mechanics from Nier Automata, Revengeance, and Wonderful 101 that sometimes feel inferior how their predecessors implemented them.

With all that considered I think this game kicks rear end. The game felt real awkward at first but by the end I was S+ ranking my way through almost every fight and felt like a god when I would just tear rear end thru a room full of enemies. I'll play through the postgame and maybe try out P+ Ultimate difficulty until I feel like I've had my fill of the game, which I haven't just yet. And I still need to find the last part to get the Lappy suit

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Man, the final boss is just... complete bullshit. He wiped the floor with me the first time to the point I had to restart. My second attempt I somehow managed to stun him and deal 30% of his health bar and knock him into the 2nd phase and just continued getting lucky until he died.

Still got S+ somehow?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The time requirements for the final boss are real generous. It killed me twice and I think it took me 7 minutes or so to beat it and I got S+ just from the time bonus alone

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

CharlestonJew posted:

Just beat the game. The story starts off ok but turns into nonsense at the end. I have no idea what Jena's plan was, Akira goes through like 5 different personality shifts throughout the game, your Neuron buddies the game spends half the time building up disappear near the end, and your dad might have been turned into the Axe Legion, somehow? The camera sucks, motion controls make me want to die, and the game feels like this weird hodgepodge of ideas and mechanics from Nier Automata, Revengeance, and Wonderful 101 that sometimes feel inferior how their predecessors implemented them.

With all that considered I think this game kicks rear end. The game felt real awkward at first but by the end I was S+ ranking my way through almost every fight and felt like a god when I would just tear rear end thru a room full of enemies. I'll play through the postgame and maybe try out P+ Ultimate difficulty until I feel like I've had my fill of the game, which I haven't just yet. And I still need to find the last part to get the Lappy suit

(This whole post is gonna have some full-game plot spoilers)

The pretty egregious mistake they make in the plot is to drop an incredibly important piece of world building in the art book that comes with the collector's edition and as far as I could tell nowhere else in the entire game: the Astral plane has showed up on Earth twice before, and each time it wipes out all life and then goes away, letting the planet recover again. There was, apparently, a 21st century civilization in like 4000 BC or whatever that got destroyed by it. Those three ominous voices that Yoseph is talking to in the one cutscene and never again are the "Prophets" who knew about the first two extinction events and set up the creation of the Ark well before the gates started appearing around the world. Yoseph gets told about all of this and is operating from day 1 under the assumption that this third invasion will ultimately succeed, Ark or no; his answer is Noah, everything in Neuron and using Legions is just delaying action to get Noah up and running.

The thing to understand about Jena is she's pretty crazy. She's no longer playing with a full deck and who knows how long she was trapped in the astral plane getting affected by it. Her original goal was to come up with a competing strategy to Yoseph's plan of sticking the entirety of humanity into Noah and her answer is the Homunculi, who can consume chimeras - when you go into the astral plane you can see the shape of her original plan - release Homunculi into the astral plane where they can propagate like an invasive species. No invasions if all the chimeras have been eaten! But, again, she's crazy and too obsessed with revenge and her attempts to kill both Yoseph and yourself threaten to take out half the Ark in the process so, well, time for a boss fight.

Akira's whole thing is their Dad dies in front of them and it understandably fucks him up pretty good. You stack that next to the fact that after failing to keep their Dad alive their sibling turns out to be the one who gets all the cool legions and becomes super important while they're stuck being saved over and over. When they show up in the Raven armor my first thought was "ahh, poo poo, they're turning evil" but never really do - Akira just really, really wants to Kick rear end and get a little control over their life and doesn't ask enough questions about where their fancy new red legion comes from. Their breakdown in file 11 is basically because they've had the trauma of family loss and life experiences weighing on them nonstop for months and they just crack at the last blow of seeing the clones.

The Axe Legion isn't strictly your dad, but implications are that Legions imprint some of the memories of the people they're bonded to. This is why we get a version of Akira in the postgame; the original is dead at that point but their Legion has enough of an imprint that they could just upload those memories to one of the surviving clones. Because of, uh, Legion magic. So while Axe isn't entirely Dad, there's a little bit of him in there.

The people from Neuron disappearing is just rising action. Eventually Yoseph takes over as the proper antagonist and the focus of the story shifts to him. At least they're back in file 12!

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Meiteron posted:

(This whole post is gonna have some full-game plot spoilers)

The pretty egregious mistake they make in the plot is to drop an incredibly important piece of world building in the art book that comes with the collector's edition and as far as I could tell nowhere else in the entire game: the Astral plane has showed up on Earth twice before, and each time it wipes out all life and then goes away, letting the planet recover again. There was, apparently, a 21st century civilization in like 4000 BC or whatever that got destroyed by it. Those three ominous voices that Yoseph is talking to in the one cutscene and never again are the "Prophets" who knew about the first two extinction events and set up the creation of the Ark well before the gates started appearing around the world. Yoseph gets told about all of this and is operating from day 1 under the assumption that this third invasion will ultimately succeed, Ark or no; his answer is Noah, everything in Neuron and using Legions is just delaying action to get Noah up and running.

You can also get this info from Yoseph's file in the database, but you're right it's not in the main story.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

skaianDestiny posted:

You can also get this info from Yoseph's file in the database, but you're right it's not in the main story.

Jena sort of mentions it once but she Jenas it up real good so it's easy to miss it/tune it out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Meiteron posted:

The Axe Legion isn't strictly your dad, but implications are that Legions imprint some of the memories of the people they're bonded to. This is why we get a version of Akira in the postgame; the original is dead at that point but their Legion has enough of an imprint that they could just upload those memories to one of the surviving clones. Because of, uh, Legion magic. So while Axe isn't entirely Dad, there's a little bit of him in there.

Part of this spoiler regarding Akira.
I really hate how they brought them back in a really lazy and bad way. Like, they had a very real and legitimate crisis of identity wondering if they were a clone or not, and whether they had died or not. But that seems to fall by the wayside with the revelation of 'Well we're all dead and all sort of akira so I guess it doesn't matter anymore'. Then the game's just "OH NO WORRIES ONE OF THE CLONES SURVIVED AND WE MAGICKED MEMORIES INTO IT AND THIS CLONE IS PERFECTLY FINE WITH BEING A CLONE WITH IMPERFECT MEMORIES HUG YOUR SIBLING." It kind of ruins the moment after they either commit suicide by arrow legion or the MC tearfully commits fratricide with the assistance of their dad robot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Part of this spoiler regarding Akira.
I really hate how they brought them back in a really lazy and bad way. Like, they had a very real and legitimate crisis of identity wondering if they were a clone or not, and whether they had died or not. But that seems to fall by the wayside with the revelation of 'Well we're all dead and all sort of akira so I guess it doesn't matter anymore'. Then the game's just "OH NO WORRIES ONE OF THE CLONES SURVIVED AND WE MAGICKED MEMORIES INTO IT AND THIS CLONE IS PERFECTLY FINE WITH BEING A CLONE WITH IMPERFECT MEMORIES HUG YOUR SIBLING." It kind of ruins the moment after they either commit suicide by arrow legion or the MC tearfully commits fratricide with the assistance of their dad robot.

They have definitely not told the surviving one that they're a clone. I think they don't even remember anything after getting impaled by Jena which would mean that the first Raven one was probably a clone too despite what the archives say.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

lets hang out posted:

They have definitely not told the surviving one that they're a clone. I think they don't even remember anything after getting impaled by Jena which would mean that the first Raven one was probably a clone too despite what the archives say.

That's even worse then.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
death to all forced stealth sections.

at least the first one has the option to use brute force!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i can appreciate the idea behind File 8 but holy poo poo was it unbearable at points

this game is so overstuffed and overlong, i'm still enjoying it but i'm so tired of having to deal with block pushing and chain pulling and switch flipping and platform hopping on my way to the entertaining parts

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Oxxidation posted:

i can appreciate the idea behind File 8 but holy poo poo was it unbearable at points

this game is so overstuffed and overlong, i'm still enjoying it but i'm so tired of having to deal with block pushing and chain pulling and switch flipping and platform hopping on my way to the entertaining parts

Agreed, every time I find something amazing that I love in Astral Chain, it's followed up by some horrible slog.

It's like they didn't realize what the good parts were.

That said, I just heard a loving anime title theme kick in at the end of chapter 10 and I am loving HERE for it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Agreed, every time I find something amazing that I love in Astral Chain, it's followed up by some horrible slog.

It's like they didn't realize what the good parts were.

That said, I just heard a loving anime title theme kick in at the end of chapter 10 and I am loving HERE for it.

it's gonna be good. hope you picked the girl MC

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

it's gonna be good. hope you picked the girl MC

Is there another option?

I totally bit at the end of chapter 9 when the first transformation happens and it looks like you might be dead. Was pissed for a moment thinking I was going to have to finish the game as the inferior Akira.

Is the ending appreciably different if you picked a different twin?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The sword legion’s slash ability is pretty much the same as Metal Gear: Revengeance’s Blade Mode, except each thumbstick’s function is reversed. Even though it’s been a couple years since I played the latter, it’s short-circuiting my brain.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Is there another option?

I totally bit at the end of chapter 9 when the first transformation happens and it looks like you might be dead. Was pissed for a moment thinking I was going to have to finish the game as the inferior Akira.

Is the ending appreciably different if you picked a different twin?

Aside from one music track and pronouns, the stories are literally the same.

I found the female version of that music to be superior though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The female version of Dark Hero is superior to the male one, but the male protagonist isn't forced to wear police issue booty shorts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like a downside imho

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

On the other hand, the girl’s “drab” civvies are actually look pretty good.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I still think it's kinda weird that the twin you don't choose is the one doing all the talking, even when both of you are being addressed. What am I, chopped legion?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lots of games do that

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Welcome to the world of silent protagonists.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its so you can insert your own dialogue as a response. See noted perfect game forever, Half-Life 2

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Sure, but Half-Life didn't have you accompanied by your brother John Freeman all the time doing all the talking for you.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Meiteron posted:

So should we call it the Max Legion now? :v:

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

drat I was enjoying every minute of this game and then started File 8 last night and had to just put it down for a while. I want to fight inter-dimensional demon things with my doggo pal, not play Rush Hour.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Jato posted:

drat I was enjoying every minute of this game and then started File 8 last night and had to just put it down for a while. I want to fight inter-dimensional demon things with my doggo pal, not play Rush Hour.

Unless you really really really need to unlock the color schemes from getting S+ ranks you can just skip all the minigames.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

...had to change my outfit after getting the incognito clothes because they kept my purple hat that said "police" on it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I mostly hate anime, but this game is pretty god damned good. I never could get into the Wonderful 101, I hated the aesthetic and the controls seemed retarded, but this game just clicks in all the right ways.

Stupid poo poo I love:
When you capture a demons 'soul' or whatever your legion does a little pose with its heart energy, loving rules.
All of the menus are gorgeous and the background music kicks rear end, loving rules.
Finding clues results in you literally swiping the headline to an ipad ledger.

Stupid poo poo I hate:
so far no sexual relationship between marie and my waifu. I remain hopeful.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 21, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Which one of you will get to wear the Lappy suit when you do it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Finally finished the main story tonight, and the game is great. About the only complaints I have are that some of the longer investigation segments could stand to be trimmed a bit (sliding tile puzzles) and platforming was wonky in some places, but those are fairly minor because the game feels fantastic in combat when you get all the pieces going. Maybe it's due to distance from the last time I played Bayonetta or Wonderful 101, but I think this might be my favorite Platinum combat system. I really hope they continue the series, though I am not even really sure what I'd want them to add that wouldn't feel like bloat.

The post game raven armor mission was a rude awakening about my bad habits in fights. Autobind is definitely a crutch. Wish you could turn the helmet off on the costume.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 22, 2019

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Is there a miracle cure to make the post-game R3 cases less extremely difficult? The jump from R2 to R3 is huge, to the point an enemy one-shotted me through maxed out HP and defense.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

not really. i got a lot out of stacking axe's attack as high as possible and doing gladius sync attacks to burn enemies down as quick as possible. don't forget axe's "send" attack breaks shield bubbles in one hit. archer's dodge attack and perfect call can do huge damage if you get them in the back, it's great for those irritating flying arm guys (roll forward through their charging ground pounds so you end up behind them). otherwise uhhh use those items?

don't get too demoralized if you get stonewalled at some of the early r3s, i found them much harder than some of the later ones

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the max tier shell guy is owning me and that hurts on a psychological level

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's real cool when they throw it in while you're busy with something else and it one shots you with its laser from across the room

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished it, was just glad to see it over

it was decent overall but the combat became rote about halfway through, the non-combat bits were way too padded (i thought my block-pushing puzzle days were behind me), and the story was lacking the kinetic energy i expect from platinum's cutscenes on top of being a bargain-bin evangelion

final boss was cool at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Oxxidation posted:

finished it, was just glad to see it over

it was decent overall but the combat became rote about halfway through, the non-combat bits were way too padded (i thought my block-pushing puzzle days were behind me), and the story was lacking the kinetic energy i expect from platinum's cutscenes on top of being a bargain-bin evangelion

final boss was cool at least

Everyone said it was Evangelion but I can't believe HOW MUCH it is Evangelion.

Thought it was rather telling that they have to remind you to use certain legions in the last mission (as you've probably just... not used them before except the rare instances where you need their powers).

Probably not a spoiler, but final boss mechanics:

Final boss looked cool as hell but got boring real fast, especially the forced dog riding to avoid one hit kill attacks that you probably haven't thought about since the dog was introduced.

Just glad it's over, probably won't screw with the post game and getting the costumes.