Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I destroyed a random pile of boxes because, this is a video game, of course I'm gonna. And I get penalized for doing so. Your own brother/sister, Akira. How could you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gamespot has a pretty good video up of some non-obvious combat mechanics. There are gonna be some nuts combo videos people make for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwPJVmHHT88

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I'm on File 3, so about a good hour or two into the game, and I still hate how it runs in 30 fps. It doesn't feel right at all, and I'm having trouble seeing what's going on and reacting accordingly. I wouldn't mind having it display in 540p docked or cutting back on the model complexity or both if it got me to 60 fps.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zybourne Clock posted:

I destroyed a random pile of boxes because, this is a video game, of course I'm gonna. And I get penalized for doing so. Your own brother/sister, Akira. How could you.
I'm pretty sure that if boxes get destroyed by a legion (there's a summon shockwave skill chip) you don't get penalised.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inventory question: are salvage items junk for selling or is there an actual recycle mechanic somewhere in the game I haven’t found?

I just unlocked upgrading at the start of file 3.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Inventory question: are salvage items junk for selling or is there an actual recycle mechanic somewhere in the game I haven’t found?

I just unlocked upgrading at the start of file 3.

Junk

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You know the OP missed the opportunity for "Asstral Chain"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Definitely changing the controls. Attacking with zR feels rank as gently caress.

I'm still in the first proper mission but the combat's not really gelling for me yet. I wasn't a huge fan of V's combat in DMCV either - my natural instinct when I play these games is to run in and mash buttons. Standing back and watching a cooler character mash his own buttons just isn't the same.

Otherwise it's good and I'll definitely give it time to click with me. I wish it ran better docked though. It definitely dips below 30 in heavy combat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love this game so far. God bless big rope hero.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mokinokaro posted:

Asstral-Chan

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't worry, you get to be a lot more active once the full mechanics open up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Definitely changing the controls. Attacking with zR feels rank as gently caress.

I'm still in the first proper mission but the combat's not really gelling for me yet. I wasn't a huge fan of V's combat in DMCV either - my natural instinct when I play these games is to run in and mash buttons. Standing back and watching a cooler character mash his own buttons just isn't the same.

Otherwise it's good and I'll definitely give it time to click with me. I wish it ran better docked though. It definitely dips below 30 in heavy combat.

The combat opens up when you start file 3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OP needs to add in big bold letters: the game/combst starts in file 3, everything before is a slow tutorial.

Then in even bigger bolder letters: Marie is the best.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

:hai:

:haibrow:

I'm curious, my first death was because of damage I took during a boss cinematic near the end of file 2. Was there some way to avoid taking damage when the "phase transition" happened or should I have known to have more then half my health at that moment?

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
I minimize damage during that transition by running like hell, but it feels like not getting hit at all comes down to having a bit of luck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Combat really picks up the further you get. One thing I don't think is clear is that if you Unchain one of your Legions you can summon another one at the same time which is just bonkers damag.e

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

chumbler posted:

The combat opens up when you start file 3.

Ok why the gently caress does the game wait almost two hours to tell you how fun the combat is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The boss of File 3 made me realize how unintuitive the slicing controls are. gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Ok why the gently caress does the game wait almost two hours to tell you how fun the combat is.

The game has a metric shitload of mechanics and it tries to make sure you understand the basic ones before it just starts throwing poo poo at you. Considering I'm hearing a lot of people getting overwhelmed even with the wading pool introduction it seems like an attempt to avoid people just giving up because they got their poo poo pushed in five minutes in.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

ImpAtom posted:

Combat really picks up the further you get. One thing I don't think is clear is that if you Unchain one of your Legions you can summon another one at the same time which is just bonkers damag.e

I don't follow, Imp. What does unchaining mean? Is it a mechanic you get later in the game?

I just got the arm legion and you can do the muda muda muda punch which is pretty awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JackDarko posted:

I don't follow, Imp. What does unchaining mean? Is it a mechanic you get later in the game?

I just got the arm legion and you can do the muda muda muda punch which is pretty awesome.

There are skills you get which state they allow you to take your Legion off the chain, like the Sword legion's Rush attack. Once you do they become an independent attacker (your energy even starts to recharge) and you can cycle to a new Legion and start using it instantly

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Beast Legion confirmed Good Boi

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i can't dodge a single attack in this game

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

lets hang out posted:

Get good.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are skills you get which state they allow you to take your Legion off the chain, like the Sword legion's Rush attack. Once you do they become an independent attacker (your energy even starts to recharge) and you can cycle to a new Legion and start using it instantly

Oh poo poo that's a game changer. I can see that making Arrow Legion really effective. It makes sense as well since Arrow and Arm aren't very effective as your primary legion.

Thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

At least as far as I am, you really need to consider what attacks you can dodge. Figuring out when you can swap to melee and go ham is a big part of not eating poo poo since even if you perfect dodge you still risk getting hit by a follow up. Legions have different sync attacks with different weapons and using the handgun is a good way to handle some enemies who will wreck your face when you get in close.

Binding is also an amazing way to deal damage, especially if you unlock the sync-attack-after-binding skill which lets you pretty much instant transition into making enemies eat poo poo. I've kind of found it easier to bind by moving my character and not the legion (or just by using Auto-Bind) but YMMV.

It also take some getting used to but Sword Legion's slash ability is REALLY effective as a defensive tool. You'll probably want to use Focus on it unless you've got better reflexes than I do but it's a really useful way to stop certain enemy attacks that dodging won't be much use against.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m just going to dump all my upgrade points on the starting legion then immediately switch to best boy dog legion when it becomes available then using nothing else.

Also are the abilities you get random? Because I’ve found some fun stuff like a defense up ability code with a bonus that activates sync attacks automatically.

Also after finishing file 3 I was surprised to see that I missed a couple of red and blue cases. I also noticed a few things where I obviously needed a certain legion to access (or a ton of backtracking). So does this game works on a NG+ system or a replay system. You unlock a new difficulty when you beat a file but I see no way of replaying something (yet).

Either way I’m loving what I’ve seen so far and it looks like the completionist in me is going to be playing this game for a while.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 31, 2019

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I suck at chain binds because my dumb brain makes me move both characters in the same direction which generally is not very effective at doing the thing. I also always feel like the chain range is longer than it actually is.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I know it's probably self-explanatory, but definitely check out training and/or help for more info. For example using your chain to stop an enemy rush attack (this becomes mandatory because a boss way later needs this as a "kill" afaik).

Didn't know about the unchaining thing, that's really cool. I actually started unslotting it because 2 skill slots are really precious. (Don't use them for buffing, just buy items instead imo)

Edit: ^^^ if you are bad at chain binding, look for autobind for skills (i know sword and beast legion have it)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I suck at chain binds because my dumb brain makes me move both characters in the same direction which generally is not very effective at doing the thing. I also always feel like the chain range is longer than it actually is.

Yeah, I had a similar problem which is why I recommend just focusing on one character. As long as you're holding down the button it doesn't matter who is moving the chain as long as it loops around them.

There is an unlockable skill most of the legions seem to get which lets you Auto Bind everyone in front of you on a cooldown which is nice for hectic fights.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Taking selfies with everyone is extremely cool.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know how I feel about my redhead becoming milhouse whenever I whip out my legion. Do I look like some scrapper?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also after finishing file 3 I was surprised to see that I missed a couple of red and blue cases. I also noticed a few things where I obviously needed a certain legion to access (or a ton of backtracking). So does this game works on a NG+ system or a replay system. You unlock a new difficulty when you beat a file but I see no way of replaying something (yet).

Use your PC at HQ, it's what lets you access old files.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I've been playing for a bit and I'm on the third chapter now and I think I hate this game.

Maybe it's just me but I am having the worst time seeing exactly what is going on during combat. If there is one enemy then when my legion and I go up and attack it there are so many effects going off that I can't even see the enemy anymore so I just eat hits because I don't know when to dodge. And if there are multiple enemies locking on is a chore because I can be locked on to one thing and the camera will want to point at something else.

And trying to use the legion to platform is a mess too because if it isn't positioned perfectly (what the game considers perfect I haven't figured out) you will fall off into the abyss and take damage. If there is something between you and the legion you will either hit it and fall into the abyss or graze the hit box of the object with usually sticks out farther than the object itself does and fall into the abyss.

The second point is annoying, but not being able to parse any of whats going on during combat makes this unplayable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
1. Try setting the fixed camera position option on. I find it did help. The dodge is actually quite poo poo, but you need it early on. After a while you'll be using the legion to zip around instead and once you unlock finishers they work like in Rising and refill your health, making dodging less necessary.

2. You need to have enough room BEHIND the legion to land. It's not too bad once you figure that part out though a bunch of platforms are basically at the extreme limit you can jump which is irritating.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

For binding I bet you can cheese it by using your legion to get in position and then zip lining yourself over to the legion to complete the bind.

I'm not near my switch right now to test. It seems plausible though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm going to add more to the OP as soon we figure out how to actually play this game.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Auto-Bind seems pretty broken, especially when stacking cool down reduction.

I’m on chapter 8 and Auto-Bind into the two guaranteed(?) Sync Attacks procs the execute QTE (which gives a full heal to you and the legion) against literally 90% of trash enemies.

Part of it is that the game doesn’t seem to penalize you at all for putting all your upgrade points into the Sword Legion (and baton/legionatus). Flying and invisible enemies are supposed to be the punish for not upgrading other legions but not only are they both rarely seen, they’re also very squishy.

Meanwhile the out of combat sections are very well balanced around each legion’s strengths but all the legion upgrades are based around combat afaik (minus stuff like run speed and chain length).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any benefit to replaying the chapters in Pt Ultimate before moving on to the next one? Do you get to replay them with newer/unlocked abilities? Do you earn more materials for upgrading your Legions / gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

For jumping, I find that it helps to look at the chain to see if you will make it. If it's a straight line to your target you will most likely make the jump without getting caught along the way.