Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Did anyone remind them they have a game coming out soon?

I'm guessing really the answer is most of the development is done so they can drop some staff. Sucks for them, the game industry has not been kind this past year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It sounds like the layoffs affected staff working on upcoming projects with partner companies that were canceled.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The studio seemed too big for the type of games they were making in my view.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Burns posted:

I think they might have been bigger than Relic until now? It sounds they were taking a "One for us, one for them" approach with licensed projects in between their own IPs/passion projects, so presumably working on two or three projects at a time. It sucks but yeah this is probably connected to the Embracer Group game that they were going to tackle and which got cancelled.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

McGavin posted:

It sounds like the layoffs affected staff working on upcoming projects with partner companies that were canceled.

Burns posted:

we don't know what kind of games they were making. AFAIK minecraft legends was a pretty big title and they had a number of others that were unannounced and in development which appear to all be getting Embracer'd

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like a lot of studios, I think BBI went on a hiring spree during covid, and fact of the matter is, I don't know that they've had one big hit in all their existence. Shipbreakers was maybe their closest? I know their two, recent, licensed games--Crossfire Legion and Minecraft Legends--definitely didn't blow up the way I'm sure they hoped.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
The article says they had 220 employees at the end of 2023. Divided in 3-4 game teams. If Homeworld 3 development is finishing and other projects get canned then it's to be expected.

One of the affected, Jacob Van Rooyen, has a 4 month old post on LinkedIn saying he's now Lead Producer for a new IP project at BBI. So they definitely canceled at least one new game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only other project I know of from BBI is Earthless and I just don't care for deckbuilders. Hope it does well though

Beat DoK again, just HW2 to go! The game gets a lot easier if you just build nothing but support cruisers and the highest tier hull you've got; artillery cruisers just hard counter anything smaller than a cruiser and the assault and battlecruisers do the rest. The K'had Sajuuk died in like twenty seconds lmao

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
One of my favorite things about DoK is stacking veterancy bonuses over the course of the campaign and growing attached to, for example, the LAVs that have survived from the first mission. Also shepherding my captured honor guard cruiser to level 5. I like the idea of artifacts that enhance unit attributes carried over into HW3, I'm curious if the campaign is going to present them as choices in the way wargames does.

The railgun corvette upsets me because I think the meta around corvettes in HW1 was my favorite part. Repair, light, heavy and multigun all got serious use, and in larger multiplayer games you had the chaos and crutch of other players to pull shenanigans with salvagers and minelayers (and there was just so much you could do with corvettes before someone got an assault frigate anywhere useful to stop you.) HW2 at least gave the hiigarans the opportunity to jab (pulsars) and punch down (gunships), DoK has AAVs and baserunners too, but just railguns? :smith:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I didn't get to try the HW3 Demo, but mentions of a Railgun corvette confuse me because the HW1 manual stated pretty clearly that all the bullet-firing weapons in the games are mass drivers, aka railguns. Even the rapid-firing ones on scouts and interceptors.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Slashrat posted:

I didn't get to try the HW3 Demo, but mentions of a Railgun corvette confuse me because the HW1 manual stated pretty clearly that all the bullet-firing weapons in the games are mass drivers, aka railguns. Even the rapid-firing ones on scouts and interceptors.

Well you see, in video games, bullet weapons go "bang bang bang, or boom boom boom" and then a round thing comes out and travels to hit a thing. Rail guns go "boof boof boof, or choom choom choom" and a thing with a long trail behind it comes out because it travels faster to hit a thing.

I mostly joke there, but the way I understand it on the very most basic level, it's more about the delivery system and speed than the fact that it's propelling a chunk of something at something.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Twenty Four posted:

Well you see, in video games, bullet weapons go "bang bang bang, or boom boom boom" and then a round thing comes out and travels to hit a thing. Rail guns go "boof boof boof, or choom choom choom" and a thing with a long trail behind it comes out because it travels faster to hit a thing.

I mostly joke there, but the way I understand it on the very most basic level, it's more about the delivery system and speed than the fact that it's propelling a chunk of something at something.

When I say boom boom boom, you say bam bam bam

No pause in between, come on, let's jam

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Slashrat posted:

All railguns are mass drivers but not all mass drivers are railguns. Railguns have two rails that they propel things between while the guns in HW so far seem like they're coming out of tubes like a coilgun or something.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 18, 2024

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Railguns are bad irl (so far) but have the sexiest PR, coilguns (nee Gauss rifles) seem good irl but have less PR and you don't get to say 'rail'...it's all about tradeoffs!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got to the end of HW2 on the player's patch

It was obviously a mistake really early on but it definitely isn't meant for campaign lmao, Balcora was an assblast. Twelve BCs and hundreds of corvettes and fighters. They blew up every subsystem (but kept the carriers alive, which seems cruel), and all but a handful of interceptors, 3 BCs, and my Dreadnaught. The Vaygr Dreadnaught instant-killed what it aimed at (yours can't on the player patch). I barely won by throwing platforms as distractions while collectors suicide-healed up what was left of the capital fleet. Luckily there's like 120k RUs there so I can probably beat the last level but also lmao good luck Hiigaran Defense Fleet, you're doomed

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

ah, so they've accidentally recreated the original unpatched HW2 experience

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nothing accidental about it actually

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah lmao

Interesting experience at least

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The PDS iterations that still let you play through the whole campaign were so fuckin hype.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every carrier and shipyard poo poo out the missiles with the planet killers over Hiigara. Only some were decoys

After several reloads I got to only one city getting blown the gently caress up

Sajuuk can handle 2 BCs tops before falling over and losing a starboard fusion engine

Great job player's patch

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I used the player patch when I did HW2's campaign and I don't recall it screwing up the difficulty like that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

I used the player patch when I did HW2's campaign and I don't recall it screwing up the difficulty like that.

When did you try it? I know they've adjusted single player a few times maybe a recent one busted something

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Every carrier and shipyard poo poo out the missiles with the planet killers over Hiigara. Only some were decoys

Dog what??? I can never tell if something's actually broken or you're Starblading us

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

RBA Starblade posted:

When did you try it? I know they've adjusted single player a few times maybe a recent one busted something
Yeah this was a couple years ago I think.

E: 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

After several reloads I got to only one city getting blown the gently caress up

Sajuuk can handle 2 BCs tops before falling over and losing a starboard fusion engine

Great job player's patch

Okay so now I don't think the player's patch is your issue

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Wait doesn't the player's patch have a difficulty scale slider with like 1 out of 3 being the default?

Starblade did you put it on 3

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If there's a slider I left it at default

It's not that Sajuuk can't kill anything, it just doesn't have a lot of HP relative to how strong BCs are on the patch, so it had to retreat and just snipe the planet killers while my fleet just kept them locked up in the center. There were only 4 in the final mission to the 12 at Balcora so that part wasn't bad.

General Battuta posted:

Dog what??? I can never tell if something's actually broken or you're Starblading us

I didn't screenshot Hiigara's but here it is for earlier in the campaign when they did it (the mission where the Vaygr are hiding in radiation and you use Movers to blow the debris up):

They pumped them out until I killed the shipyards and carriers doing it on that mission as well. The AI for them is set to nothing, they just sit there. On Hiigara, though, a few started moving towards the asteroid belt limit, so I shot them down to make sure. To be honest, if they had actually just built ships I think it would have been a trainwreck lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 29, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1840080/view/4145073329281827771

quote:

"We now have two presets for hotkey bindings, a revamped Modern layout and a layout that replicates the hotkeys used in Homeworld 2 Remastered
(We’ll discuss these in detail in just a minute).

If you manually rebind an input and then swap hotkey presets, your manually rebinded inputs won’t be overridden."

Well, that's nice at least. Attack move called out as still in-progress as of the demo, which is concerning considering the original release date.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All of those sound like excellent changes, especially glad I can stick with the control mode that I'm used to.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

sounds very good indeed.

Also I still very much like that they actually took feedback from a demo and pushed back release to do all this, while most games of that scale get released regardless and only maybe get fixed afterwards.

Burns
May 10, 2008

All sounds good except for unit special abilities which didnt strike me as particularily interesting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The abilities lasting longer will just make them even more important, which is the opposite of what I wanted.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Burns posted:

All sounds good except for unit special abilities which didnt strike me as particularily interesting.

All the abilities felt like "Make unit better on cooldown" with no downsides. I just found myself cycling through everything and making sure my abilities were always active without any thought behind it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Those changes all sound amazing

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Gearbox is now owned by Take-Two and published under the 2K label.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/take-two-to-acquire-gearbox-from-embracer-for-460-million

quote:

Take-Two will acquire developer Gearbox from Embracer for $460 million.

Alongside Borderlands, Take-Two will also take ownership of Homeworld, Risk of Rain, Brothers in Arms and Duke Nukem, alongside future Gearbox titles. Take-Two says that Gearbox are working on six titles, including two Borderlands games and two Homeworld titles, plus 'at least' one new IP.

Gearbox will operate within Take-Two’s 2K label and will continue to be led by founder and COE Randy Pitchford.

They're away from the never ending disaster that is the Embracer Group but god knows what their new profit expectations are.

lagidnam fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 28, 2024

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
The blog post about the changes are extremely welcome. The disturbing part is that none of that was caught one month prior to the original release date? If they would have released the game in that state, I shudder to imagine how poorly it would have been received and how much it would have tanked the franchise. I’m glad they took the time to listen to feedback and delay the game in order fix stuff but it must have been an echo chamber if some of these basic/fundamental issues was never identified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i feel like they missed the essence of the complaints about unit abilities