Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

chaosapiant posted:

I vaguely recall either one of the Homeworld games, or a mod, having a "first person" mode so you can see the battles from inside a ship. Is/was that ever a thing or am I not remembering correctly?

Cataclysm had it, hotkey was ctrl-p or shift-p, it was called pilot view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

I vaguely recall either one of the Homeworld games, or a mod, having a "first person" mode so you can see the battles from inside a ship. Is/was that ever a thing or am I not remembering correctly?

it was in the base game, but you had to run the HW1 executable with an additional parameter to enable it

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Totally off hand comment here but wouldn't it be cool if Homeworld 3 supported VR? Like you're a commander and you're zooming into a version of Homeworld's strategic view that spreads around you like the galaxy map in Elite Dangerous? Probably no way it could work, but in my mind's eye it seems amazing. You could reach out and touch each ship and zoom in to get a 3D "holographic" view of the ship while you spin it around IronMan/Jarvis style and retrofit its guns and check its specs out. Now that I've typed these words I've decided I want this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Sounds great, thank you! I've heard that there is a must-play community patch for Homeworld 1 Remastered? Is that on the Steam workshop or on a Nexus/Moddb somewhere? Is there also a similar patch for HW2:R?

There’s an ini edit or something that will let Cataclysm do modern resolutions. It will make the UI/text really small however and the cutscenes between missions will also be a small box.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kibayasu posted:

There’s an ini edit or something that will let Cataclysm do modern resolutions. It will make the UI/text really small however and the cutscenes between missions will also be a small box.

I'm sure somewhere someone has done a mod or something for 1080P at usable resolutions, and if I can play it with stretched UI but non-stretched graphics I'd like to see if it's possible to play it at 2560x1080. Games like this look gorgeous in Ultrawide format.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
VR sucks up dev resources so I don’t want it, I fearfully reject the whole idea!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chaosapiant posted:

Totally off hand comment here but wouldn't it be cool if Homeworld 3 supported VR? Like you're a commander and you're zooming into a version of Homeworld's strategic view that spreads around you like the galaxy map in Elite Dangerous? Probably no way it could work, but in my mind's eye it seems amazing. You could reach out and touch each ship and zoom in to get a 3D "holographic" view of the ship while you spin it around IronMan/Jarvis style and retrofit its guns and check its specs out. Now that I've typed these words I've decided I want this.

I want this but also the ability to grab ships and throw them at other ships

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

RBA Starblade posted:

I want this but also the ability to grab ships and throw them at other ships

Maybe grab ships in each virtual-hand and crash them into each other like big virtual spaceship toys? And yea, to the poster above, I agree that any game that sells additional bolted on features such as VR or multiplayer (in general, not this game) should instead have those resources devoted to an excellent core game. But VR is a pie-in-sky thing I kinda want in a lot of games, because there's so many games where I'm like "wouldn't it be cool if this worked in my Oculus hat?!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I'm sure somewhere someone has done a mod or something for 1080P at usable resolutions, and if I can play it with stretched UI but non-stretched graphics I'd like to see if it's possible to play it at 2560x1080. Games like this look gorgeous in Ultrawide format.

It’s possible but I play it again every so often and I check every time and only ever see the ini edit for the game. I’ve only gone up to 1920x1080 so I can’t say what it will look like at 2560 but it was perfectly useable at 1920.

You’ll be able to tell without even starting a new game as well because the main menu will be displayed at the size the game menus will be for the resolution you edit and you’ll get a cutscene before the game starts.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I have nerd trauma from Ace Combat 7's protracted VR development hell...but now that I'm thinking about it, Homeworld skyboxes would look so good...

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

DoK is my favorite in the series and the best part was the radio chatter. I want to sit and listen to mundane operations talk all day.

A very deliberatly paced first person tank game set in DoK would be cool. Elite Dangerous cockpit poo poo. I wanna cruise around on sand dunes in my dusty lovely sand truck.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wrr posted:

DoK is my favorite in the series and the best part was the radio chatter. I want to sit and listen to mundane operations talk all day.

A very deliberatly paced first person tank game set in DoK would be cool. Elite Dangerous cockpit poo poo. I wanna cruise around on sand dunes in my dusty lovely sand truck.

I mean Freespace 2 is the other game that scratches exactly the same itch as Homeworld - atmospherically perfect, a sense that there's real people in the fighters and capital ships you see blowing up, a story about surviving genocide.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean Freespace 2 is the other game that scratches exactly the same itch as Homeworld - atmospherically perfect, a sense that there's real people in the fighters and capital ships you see blowing up, a story about surviving genocide.

Wrr posted:

Well there was/is a Homeworld mod for Freespace 2. I dunno the status of it though, only these cool videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAh5vFFkdw

There's also House of the Dying Sun, which was inspired by Homeworld.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

It’s possible but I play it again every so often and I check every time and only ever see the ini edit for the game. I’ve only gone up to 1920x1080 so I can’t say what it will look like at 2560 but it was perfectly useable at 1920.

You’ll be able to tell without even starting a new game as well because the main menu will be displayed at the size the game menus will be for the resolution you edit and you’ll get a cutscene before the game starts.
I totally forgot about writing the guide on how to do this, i'll do it tonight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

Well there was/is a Homeworld mod for Freespace 2. I dunno the status of it though, only these cool videos.

There's also House of the Dying Sun, which was inspired by Homeworld.

What's much much better is the Freespace 2 mod for Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otx-IMVTuAs

Nexus being a game that suffers heavily from jank but is probably the best proper strategy space battle game made.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I totally forgot about writing the guide on how to do this, i'll do it tonight.

For widescreen gameplay or for proper menus and cutscenes (or at least stretched) as well? Because I’d love the latter too I’ve just never seen it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alchenar posted:

What's much much better is the Freespace 2 mod for Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otx-IMVTuAs

Nexus being a game that suffers heavily from jank but is probably the best proper strategy space battle game made.

I played Nexus when it came out but could never really get into it. I didn't like the lack of fleet persistence.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

But your fleet totally is persistent, outside of one major plot beat early on?

The real problem with Nexus is that, despite looking like an in-depth space combat game (and generally being very pretty) it's pretty brainless. Every enemy type is countered the exact same way, the only difference really being time taken to do so. While you can fine tune your ships movement, doing so is actively worse than just letting the AI helm the entire fleet. Damaging enemy subsystems is a complete nothingburger outside of mission objectives, and while it has some neat mission concepts that require you approach problems in ways other than just guns blazing, they're also universally gimmicks with one correct outcome that you figure out and then they're solved for all subsequent playthroughs - much like similar missions in HW, like the supernova research station.

None of this is to say Nexus is a bad game, I'm actually very fond of it, but holding it up as some example of excellent space combat in comparison to Homeworld is definitely rose tinted glasses. I played through it last week. I'm extremely aware of how it holds up. BSG Deadlock or BFG Armada are both better at the actual tactics of ship to ship combat than Nexus is. Also neither of them have Vardrag voices.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wrr posted:

Has anyone ever extracted all the comms chatter from DoK? The soundtrack's easy to find but I'm curious if there's a place that has all the radio interactions.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rhjamiz posted:

Holy crap, that looks amazing. I'd still like to see that "rolling the gun"-maneuvre in effect somewhere, that the Taiidan Interceptor's page in the manual mentions used by ace pilots.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

But your fleet totally is persistent, outside of one major plot beat early on?

The real problem with Nexus is that, despite looking like an in-depth space combat game (and generally being very pretty) it's pretty brainless. Every enemy type is countered the exact same way, the only difference really being time taken to do so. While you can fine tune your ships movement, doing so is actively worse than just letting the AI helm the entire fleet. Damaging enemy subsystems is a complete nothingburger outside of mission objectives, and while it has some neat mission concepts that require you approach problems in ways other than just guns blazing, they're also universally gimmicks with one correct outcome that you figure out and then they're solved for all subsequent playthroughs - much like similar missions in HW, like the supernova research station.

None of this is to say Nexus is a bad game, I'm actually very fond of it, but holding it up as some example of excellent space combat in comparison to Homeworld is definitely rose tinted glasses. I played through it last week. I'm extremely aware of how it holds up. BSG Deadlock or BFG Armada are both better at the actual tactics of ship to ship combat than Nexus is. Also neither of them have Vardrag voices.

In fairness, I think you are mostly right. Where I would disagree is that I don't think the combat system is inherently brainless, it's that the game suffers from terrible mission design that detracts from all its strengths. The first 3-4 missions in Sol show some really interesting fleet combat where positioning matters and choosing to go after particular subsystems matters. Then the game takes a right angle into a series of puzzle missions where you do the gimmick for the one correct outcome. But the core combat mechanics felt like they had a lot more potential to me than Homeworld, where I never did anything but drag select all my units and drag select all the enemy units.

It's a pity we never got to see the sequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYO8AaZwMM

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nexus owned because you got to see how the big boys do battle. And there were babies in space.

I actually wholeheartedly recommend it, it's got a couple deeply annoying missions but it's gorgeous, the story reaches for some weird mix of space opera and cosmic horror, and the characters are terrible in the best way.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Vardrags, man

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Well they gave us RAGAR ROGAR, ThE VARDRAG SLAYER

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh for real? I thought the Kerberos split was pre-HW2. Learn something new everyday.

Oh god, I realized I made a stupid typo. drat you, QWERTY!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Game pulled in an impressive 1.5 mil. Hopefully that money goes into development and not one of Randy's magic tricks.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not to start a derail but raising 1.5m for a game that was already being developed feels shady as.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Not to start a derail but raising 1.5m for a game that was already being developed feels shady as.

It's just pre-orders. People stopped buying pre-orders because digital distribution means theres no risk of scarcity, so the industry needed to find a new way to sell them. So now it's a 'development contribution'.

(Because guaranteed revenue at full price is the best kind of revenue)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Alchenar posted:

It's just pre-orders. People stopped buying pre-orders because digital distribution means theres no risk of scarcity, so the industry needed to find a new way to sell them. So now it's a 'development contribution'.

(Because guaranteed revenue at full price is the best kind of revenue)

To be fair, with Fig, you're buying shares in the game and you do get a payout at the end - no idea if it's worth it but they'll get something rather than Kickstarter where you hope the game is just good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

It's kind of opposite of shady: they said clearly the game had started development, which is why the goal was only $1. That's being transparent, not shady.

Also, half of the money are investments. They will have to return it, including whatever part of profits.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I didn't realise there would be a return on it, that's pretty neat.

I'm looking forward to it coming out. :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They also posted a couple updates during the campaign, saying that the game will use HW1-style ballistics and that ships will feature persistent visual damage.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I did see those on Facebook and they look very neat. The game seems to be really endorsing the huge massive scale of the setting which owns.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Bring back ramming frigates, you hacks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38556KTTR0

Rob Cunningham of Relic and now Blackbird Interactive talks about how Homeworld came to be.

His comments about when Gearbox bought the Homeworld rights really makes me relieved that things turned out the way they did. With Randy buying the rights just for shits and giggles it could have been kept in cold storage for all time.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 17, 2020

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Saw that yesterday and really enjoyed it. Pretty crazy that they didn't really iterate on anything and it was all "one huge sketch".

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
In retrospect there were a lot of clunk about the way that you interacted with the game and moved the camera around that got massively improved even as early as in HW: Cataclysm, so it's definitely not a case of them getting everything perfect on the first try and there being nothing for further iteration to catch. The presentation of the game was just so good, and the whole experience so novel, that all those small frustrations didn't register at the time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I liked fuel as a mechanic, but I think most people didn't?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Slashrat posted:

In retrospect there were a lot of clunk about the way that you interacted with the game and moved the camera around that got massively improved even as early as in HW: Cataclysm, so it's definitely not a case of them getting everything perfect on the first try and there being nothing for further iteration to catch. The presentation of the game was just so good, and the whole experience so novel, that all those small frustrations didn't register at the time.

It wasn't perfect but considering nobody had done anything like it before I thought it was pretty drat impressive.

I kinda liked fuel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope Homeworld 3 gets the time and funding it needs. I really like the 3D movement of the Homeworld games but it could still be improved.