Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I liked fuel and the original ballistics. I actually started with Cataclysm and overall ended up liking both the story and the combat in the original more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really hope Homeworld 3 gets the time and funding it needs. I really like the 3D movement of the Homeworld games but it could still be improved.

Their last update talks about monoliths, and the fact that they'll be central to the battlefield. I'm expecting them to function like some sort of cover system.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3/updates/1199

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordja posted:

Their last update talks about monoliths, and the fact that they'll be central to the battlefield. I'm expecting them to function like some sort of cover system.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3/updates/1199

I'm kind of floored that it's somehow raised $1.5 million on top of whatever money Gearbox was already throwing at it since the game was allegedly "fully funded" at the time the donation page went live. It boggles my mind how THQ just sat on the Homeworld IP for years as fans pleaded with them to make a new game, then Gearbox comes along and shows that people are willing to fork out nearly $2M for just the idea of Homeworld 3 :vince:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Extended interview with Ars Technica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KVlgcmR4Y

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Homeworld franchise is part of the midweek madness sale on Steam. Remastered collection for $6.99, Desert of Kharak for $9.99 (both are 80% off)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I actually meant to post the update about the megaliths in here, because hey everybody Homeworld 3 is going to have that gameplay mechanic everyone was excited for in HW2

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's nice to know so many of the original devs are involved, those were both great watches!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Homeworld franchise is part of the midweek madness sale on Steam. Remastered collection for $6.99, Desert of Kharak for $9.99 (both are 80% off)

If you still haven't gotten the remasters and/or are feeling nostalgic: these two games are normally $85USD combined and you can now get them for $16! :homebrew:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hopefully the inclusion of 'terrain' means the inclusion of huge fuckoff laser cannons to block with said terrain.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I'm hoping for giant obstructive wrecks with little crevices that fighters and corvettes can navigate but which larger ships can't

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm hoping that the megalith is located "here". Assemble a strike group and investigate the wreckage.
Research indicates we can now build megalith salvage technology.

Production underway.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm hoping that the megalith is located "here". Assemble a strike group and investigate the wreckage.
Research indicates we can now build megalith salvage technology.

Production underway.

They come. Good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

They come. Good.

Cut us loose. CUT US LOOSE!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I remember seeing the original HW2 demos where they did have the huge structures? What exactly was it that made them technically impossible and get abandoned?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Almost certainly pathfinding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That and the game getting cancelled.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah the given reason was pathfinding

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bumping this thread mostly so it doesn't get archived...

Anyways, there's not a lot to go on yet, but their latest fig update includes what I think might be the first completed model that they've shown, the Pirate Raider Fighter.
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/homeworld-3-raider-fighter-d5992225c5d74db285a79320a362ed65

I actually wonder if they might be Makaan's remnants, what with the red-and-white striped paintjob and the fact that it's emblem looks like a bastardized version of the Vaygr's from HW2.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
it certainly has the homeworld scout aesthetics nailed down. Gatling gun as big as the cockpit and thrusters that make up half the ship's mass. Bonus points for the ammo drum evoking the feel of an unarmored space A-10

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Bumping this thread mostly so it doesn't get archived...

Anyways, there's not a lot to go on yet, but their latest fig update includes what I think might be the first completed model that they've shown, the Pirate Raider Fighter.
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/homeworld-3-raider-fighter-d5992225c5d74db285a79320a362ed65

I actually wonder if they might be Makaan's remnants, what with the red-and-white striped paintjob and the fact that it's emblem looks like a bastardized version of the Vaygr's from HW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMiCYi7I00&t=9s

Anyways I like a good chunky spaceship.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
There’s some sort of mobile game coming out? I keep getting invited but I can’t rear end myself to jump through all the hoops to play it in it’s alpha state or whatever.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Something new!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbgqM4CuOs

Those resemble vaygr frigate designs rather than hiigaran ones, so I'm guessing this will be an ion cannon frigate counterpart in one of the other factions in the game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hit! Hit! Damage report!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Very reminiscent of DoK which I'm all for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

Also, the very boxy design makes me think Turanic.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 16, 2021

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The extreme shaking on the rails is both extremely stupid and also massively owns

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The voice work in these games is iconic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordja posted:

Very reminiscent of DoK which I'm all for.

Cythereal posted:

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

Breach in starboard fusion tire

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hey, the Kushan / Higaaran people could probably build a microfusion tyre in an afternoon. Or about five minutes after encountering a set of fusion depleting road spikes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey, the Kushan / Higaaran people could probably build a microfusion tyre in an afternoon. Or about five minutes after encountering a set of fusion depleting road spikes.

Don't be silly. They'd have fulfilled all their fusion tyre needs by stealing legitimately salvaging them first.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Was surprised the other day to learn there was a Homeworld 3 in development. Saw this thread today and discovered a posted here in 2019. Whoops

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Homeworld Mobile's coming along nicely too!

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

We’re going down, we’re going-

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CUT US LOOSE!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You are what all life is to us. FOOD

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They come... good...

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Cythereal posted:

They come... good...

Oh drat, that was my first choice.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

"Truly, this is a world which we can call Homeworld 3" - Mothership S'jet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GLmboCnLQY

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

THE BAR posted:

CUT US LOOSE!

I love the read of that whole scene by the scientist.

“There’s power fluctuations spreading to the engine module, what is going on down there?”

*tortured screaming in the background* “Uh, don’t know, gimme a sec...”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

My fav is the idle chatter where you just hear people giving status reports or asking questions and what not.

Played through DoK again last month and was charmed by a brief conversation about rerouting around power couplers and if that sort of work could be done while moving or if a full power down would be required. Feels a lot like listening to radio-comms during my days in Korea