Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orv posted:

Lmao, loving Gearbox jesus christ.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gearbox-acquisition-kills-homeworld-3-fig-investments/

Apparently anyone who backed at investiture levels on Homeworld 3 can go gently caress themselves and get nothing. I still think investing in Fig on an actual meaningful amount of money level is a very dumb thing to do but what a terrible way to handle things.

E: The game is still totally happening, to be clear, it's just dumb business bullshit and loving people over.

That whole Fig thing was sketchy as gently caress too and just a way to bilk more money out of people by Gearbox. The game was already fully funded by Gearbox itself. Why the gently caress did they even need a crowdfunding campaign?

God, I hope Blackbird isn't affected by all of Gearbox's scummy fuckery, but we'll see.

E: Looks like this is being blamed more on Embracer buying Gearbox than anything Gearbox itself did.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn’t have been an “investor” even if I had contributed to the campaign but setting a $1 goal just meant “We don’t actually need this” to me.

Also acknowledge Homeworld Cataclysm you cowards.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn’t have been an “investor” even if I had contributed to the campaign but setting a $1 goal just meant “We don’t actually need this” to me.

Also acknowledge Homeworld Cataclysm you cowards.

They flat out said at the unveiling event that the game was already fully funded, the Fig campaign was just for [gimme gimme hand gesture] reasons and was effectively just a really convoluted pre-order scheme.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Apparently anyone who backed at investiture levels on Homeworld 3 can go gently caress themselves and get nothing. I still think investing in Fig on an actual meaningful amount of money level is a very dumb thing to do but what a terrible way to handle things.

E: The game is still totally happening, to be clear, it's just dumb business bullshit and loving people over.

lmao I knew it

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Goddamn what is it about gearbox that skeevy poo poo always happens around the company. I mean good on them for the HW remasters I guess but I think BBI should look for a new publisher.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

murphyslaw posted:

Goddamn what is it about gearbox that skeevy poo poo always happens around the company. I mean good on them for the HW remasters I guess but I think BBI should look for a new publisher.

Randy Pitchford owns the rights to the Homeworld IP, so BBI can go wherever the hell they want, they'll never be able to make another Homeworld game anywhere BUT at Gearbox. At least they're now able to make Homeworld games period after THQ sat on Relic Entertainment and forced them to pump out WarHammer 40k games until they crumbled into insolvency and Pitchford snatched the Homeworld IP out of their rotting corpse like Thanos picking up an Infinity Stone.

It's the worst of all worlds, but it's via this dark bargain that we'll ever (hopefully) get a game that looks, sounds like, and in actuality is "Homeworld 3".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but while I appreciate the storytelling highlights of Cataclysm, I honestly found the ship designs totally butt-ugly.

And like, I get the whole "it's a bunch of civilian utility ships that have been gunned up into combat duty" thing... but I still think they look butt-ugly.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
It's incredible that through their sheer scumbaggery, this is the only Homeworld 3 news we have had in a good long while.

Bravo Gearbox.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but while I appreciate the storytelling highlights of Cataclysm, I honestly found the ship designs totally butt-ugly.

And like, I get the whole "it's a bunch of civilian utility ships that have been gunned up into combat duty" thing... but I still think they look butt-ugly.

:butt:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Totally off hand comment here but wouldn't it be cool if Homeworld 3 supported VR? Like you're a commander and you're zooming into a version of Homeworld's strategic view that spreads around you like the galaxy map in Elite Dangerous? Probably no way it could work, but in my mind's eye it seems amazing. You could reach out and touch each ship and zoom in to get a 3D "holographic" view of the ship while you spin it around IronMan/Jarvis style and retrofit its guns and check its specs out. Now that I've typed these words I've decided I want this.

A VR version of the UI would be really lovely just to get some dang depth perspective.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

It even has the hole...

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

That's a garbage scow!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

thedangergroove posted:

That's a garbage scow!

It literally is a garbage scow, yes. Original purpose is to attach to and propel large pieces of debris or asteroids.

Cataclysm’s ships’ ugliness is their beauty but honestly that “ugliness” doesn’t last for very long either. The recon, worker and processor, mimic, ramming frigate, and carrier (the kind of ships a mining fleet would need) are certainly sharp, boxy, and functional but the acolyte and the newer ships built over the rest of the campaign are pretty neat looking. What they really lack is a kind of unifying aesthetic once you start building hive frigates.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still not as sexy as the Kushan battle tortoise.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Cata dreadnaught is still one of my favorite sci-fi designs ever even if it's extremely simple in the end.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Orv posted:

The Cata dreadnaught is still one of my favorite sci-fi designs ever even if it's extremely simple in the end.

I preferred the Destroyer. Looked like a knight's helmet.

But nothing beats the Taiidan Ion Frigate or Qwaar-Jet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For the rest of the series it's the Taiidan destroyer from 1, for me. Looks cool as hell, like an animal.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

And is modeled on one, in universe!

A very cool spaceship

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For me it's the Vaygr. Their ships are so pretty. Just a giant assortment of guns strapped to engines and given invasion strips.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate the HW2 destroyers for both factions though, they feel halfbaked

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

For me it's the Vaygr. Their ships are so pretty. Just a giant assortment of guns strapped to engines and given invasion strips.

Balance wise each ship being designed around a single purpose had issues but the visual design of being one fuckoff weapon with engines strapped on is just so cool.

The Vaygr are what you get if you took the design philosophy of the Ion Frigate and used it for every ship type.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I actually really like both. The whole broadside design is objectively kinda dumb but the Hig ones look really fuckin cool firing in formation.

The Vaygr one is just a neat design.

Edit: Destroyers I mean

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psycho Landlord posted:

I actually really like both. The whole broadside design is objectively kinda dumb but the Hig ones look really fuckin cool firing in formation.

The Vaygr one is just a neat design.

Edit: Destroyers I mean

If they had more guns or something I think they'd work but a broadside of like two guns at a time is kind of eh

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

If they had more guns or something I think they'd work but a broadside of like two guns at a time is kind of eh

Higs have 4!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want like twelve for that!

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Thanks for filling that in. Of all the people to own the IP, it had to be Randy loving Pitchford. But I guess this is why Hardspace Shipbreaker is published by Focus Home Interactive?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

"We have enough money to make something but give us more money just because we want more money" really rubs me the wrong way. Like, you have way more money then I do, don't need it, then still have the nerve to ask my poor rear end for more?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Oh no, some fans of the game who were offered an opportunity to pre-order the game like a Kickstarter and were never charged a dime will now never be charged a dime.

Let me clutch my pearls. :rolleye:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh no, some fans of the game who were offered an opportunity to pre-order the game like a Kickstarter and were never charged a dime will now never be charged a dime.

Let me clutch my pearls. :rolleye:

Swing and a miss

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean its not a great look but its also far from being the worst thing that crowdfunding has ever done. The only people """""""""hurt""""""""" here were people that wanted to get their own stack of money out of Homeworld 3 being made and they aren't losing any money at all. Anyone who just gave their $60 for a copy of the game and a bananaship buttplug in the future aren't affected at all. The only thing cancelled was investor payments.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Larian Studios basically did the same thing with the Divinity: Original Sin 2 kickstarter, just without even making backers literal investors in the game. They already intended to make the game and had the funds themselves to make a technically-complete game out of it. The kickstarter was a series of stretch goals from the start to just add more content and features into the game.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah no one lost any money on this so while kinda lovely-looking it's not exactly a huge scandal or anything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah no one lost any money on this so while kinda lovely-looking it's not exactly a huge scandal or anything.

Oh, I thought everyone was still on the hook for their donation pledges and the money just went up in smoke. If they weren't actually charged for it yet or they're all getting refunds then that's probably the best way this story could end. Still it proves the power of the IP as a concept alone that people forked out $1.5 mil out of their own pocket, with basically zero prompting, and in a matter of days because they thought it would help make Homeworld 3 a reality.

Apparently people really want to play Homeworld 3 for some reason :thunk:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What was cancelled were the actual investment contributions and they were refunded. No one lost any money except what they hoped they’d make back if the game was successful. Fig also does regular pledges the same as Kickstarter or IndieGoGo and since the game is still being made those are still being treated as they were.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Had been curious what was happening with this game. Not the news I wanted to see. :/

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finally finishing Deserts on a different computer. Hooray for automatic cloud saves!

Also I love how extremely Canadian every background voice is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Nobody lost any money and it's not a huge scandal but it's hyper greedy move #5,000 by Gearbox who already just sucks a ton.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Kibayasu posted:

What was cancelled were the actual investment contributions and they were refunded. No one lost any money except what they hoped they’d make back if the game was successful. Fig also does regular pledges the same as Kickstarter or IndieGoGo and since the game is still being made those are still being treated as they were.

Fig never even charged any of the investment backers.

How that works over all this time I do not understand, but that was Fig's official statement, they never charged anyone.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Fairly unrelated but someone mentioned VR above.

Checkout BattleGroupVR on steam, never seen anybody at all talking about it but stumbled across it one day.

Been the one consistently updated VR game I own, it's pretty fun and scratches the spaceships in virtual reality itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Abongination posted:

Checkout BattleGroupVR on steam, never seen anybody at all talking about it but stumbled across it one day.

But is it good?