Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The_Frag_Man posted:

Are you making GBS threads on Cataclysm, which is one of my favourite games, or is Deserts of Kharak totally amazing?

The exact kind of nerds you would expect hate Kharak because it's different and it's not a 3D space RTS but it's actually very, very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
He's on it, yeah.

Turanic Raiders is probably my most listened to song of all time. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Fig thing feels a little scummy because of the already funded thing so it's basically "We know nerds are gullible morons for nostalgia, give us your money."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Slashrat posted:

A greater durability and range disparity between ship roles might make the 3D-playspace more meaningful.

If, for example, ion cannon frigates truly were almost literal glass cannons, but had a range that most other ships might spend 30 to 60 seconds crossing before they'd be in range, it would make sense to either try and flank them from somewhere that forward spotting and defense was absent, or use fast strike crafts to close the gap quickly.

As it was, most fights in all homeworld games were just tailoring your capital ship blob to include just enough anti-strike craft power as your enemy made necessary, and then sending it at the enemy, because you'd always be in visual range of the enemy (and vice versa) before you would be in weapons range, and every ship in your blob would be able to engage in roughly the same five-second span.

Lemme just "well actually" from half court here: Heavy corvette walls supported by Support Frigates was the actual be all end all of strike fighter and frigate combat but that's hot hot multiplayer tactics and I've never actually tried it in the campaign, but presumably it works just as well. It can even chew up a missile destroyer without too much trouble.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Am I misremembering or wasn't there a stance in Homeworld 1 that had strikecraft automatically retreat to a support ship to repair when they got low on health?

Maybe? There was definitely a command that issued that order, go to the nearest carrier/support frig/mothership. You wanted to have the support frigates flying behind the corvette wall to heal it as it fought, in that particular strategy, so it wasn't necessary.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hopefully the inclusion of 'terrain' means the inclusion of huge fuckoff laser cannons to block with said terrain.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You were probably told a wrong version of the right story, which is that the Homeworld 2 that exists and the Homeworld 2 that was planned are vastly different things and Homeworld 2 was, while not massively slapdash, definitely a shortened effort.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Lmao, loving Gearbox jesus christ.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gearbox-acquisition-kills-homeworld-3-fig-investments/

Apparently anyone who backed at investiture levels on Homeworld 3 can go gently caress themselves and get nothing. I still think investing in Fig on an actual meaningful amount of money level is a very dumb thing to do but what a terrible way to handle things.

E: The game is still totally happening, to be clear, it's just dumb business bullshit and loving people over.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Cata dreadnaught is still one of my favorite sci-fi designs ever even if it's extremely simple in the end.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For the rest of the series it's the Taiidan destroyer from 1, for me. Looks cool as hell, like an animal.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah no one lost any money on this so while kinda lovely-looking it's not exactly a huge scandal or anything.

Nobody lost any money and it's not a huge scandal but it's hyper greedy move #5,000 by Gearbox who already just sucks a ton.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're haunted as gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're being extremely slow about revealing anything, but also to be fair I was under the impression that the game was just coming out of pre-vis when they announced it. It's gonna be a solid 'nother year or two.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I miss unit chatter. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Beaten to the horrible joke by Battuta but here it is anyway

Homeworld - Consumed by a firestorm of hype

Orv
May 4, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

werent the starship breakers and dok very well received though i guess i dont know sales wise how much they made

They were both well received but they’re both very niche games to begin with. RTS and… whatever the gently caress Shipbreakers could fall under, which pretty well makes it niche either way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The given reason at least is that their engine was coming apart at the seams trying to do more complex or larger ships. Which given how that game can go occasionally when you hit the wrong fuel line or something isn’t that far fetched.

Orv
May 4, 2011
March already looking dangerously stacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Can't be worse than 2! :rimshot:

I dunno, Blackbird seems to have some good chops, I'm not entirely without hope but I'm definitely not as jazzed as I once was.