Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Asimov posted:

Mmmmm that's not doing it for me personally but I'm glad that good RTS games are still possible to make. Homeworld is 3D space, not 2D dirt.

This game is probably uniquely doomed due to:
- Fig investment scheme (what the hell)
- All good space game staff have left the studio
- Homeworld Remastered sucked badly and I feel like they lied about "Oh we faithfully re-created the Homeworld 1 AI and assets that were lost." Sure you did buddy. sure you did.
- Epic Games Store exclusive or some similar pre-release announcement of micro transactions, subscriptions, or bullshit of that caliber seems likely.
- All the other normal reasons that games fail.

And that's just the single player campaign. Will these guys be able to balance an RTS? Are they even going to try? How many unique factions... 1?

Well, the good news is they've only just started working on it, so we've got two long years ahead of us to prepare for the inevitable Gearbox-induced disappointment. I mean, up until the teaser dropped a week ago I legit thought the IP was dead and Gearbox was just gonna squat on the rights like THQ did before they up and died.

So... yay progress :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Watch the cutscene, restart the mission, skip the cutscene?

Scrap your whole fleet at the end of mission 2, build a bajillion salvage and repair corvettes and swamp the Taiidan frigates with a ball of repo men and medics. Problem solved.

Also the game bugs the gently caress out if you save all 6 cryo trays. Canonically one is supposed to be destroyed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have a little optimism, if for no other reason than there is probably a hoard of grognards invading the dev discord and they have 2+ years to complain.

I also think a lot about how Homeworld influenced other mediums: the Battlestar Galactica reboot comes immediately to mind. :bsg:

Which is nice and circular because the persistent rumor is that the original Homeworld started out as a Battlestar Galactica game that Relic couldn't get licensed so they made it an original IP. True or not, the OG 70s BSG had a looming influence over Homeworld either way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

So Rob Cunningham and J Aaron Kambeitz are working on this?

Yep. Black Bird Interactive is comprised of like 75-80% of the original Relic Studios staff who worked on HW1 and HW2. They formed BBI to work on what became Deserts of Kharak, back when it was called Shipbreakers. It caught Gearbox's attention after they acquired the Homeworld license and instead of C&Ding for basically making a Homeworld game in all but name, they kinda straddled up to them and were like "Hey, you guys wanna just like make it an actual Homeworld game? Here's a bunch of money and resources to do it."

Gearbox gets a lot of rightly earned poo poo for being an incompetent scummy company run by incompetent scummy people (and legit creeps like Randy), but when they say they actually care about the Homeworld IP, they put their money where their mouth is. People begged and pleaded for THQ to make a new Homeworld game for years after they gobbled up Relic and the Homeworld IP, and they just sat on it and laughed until they disintegrated.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

They look to me like Taiidan fighters run through a Hiigaran filter. I actually dig it a lot.

I hope they retcon a lot of Homeworld 2's backstory and sloppier worldbuilding. Because according to existing lore the Imperial remnant joined the Vaygr horde and then just rolled the new Taiidani Republic, so hopefully we see some more Taiidan stuff in HW3. Also I hope they ditch that stupid thing about "the hyperspace core made Karan immortal". The Remaster version of Homeworld 2 seems to imply that it's only been 10 years between games in-universe rather than 100 years by bringing back Fleet Intelligence's original VA along with Karan's, thus implying it's the same dude from the original Mothership who's also commanding the Pride of Hiigara.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

All of you backer goons in the super secret discord need to influence things away from HW2.

Also make them bring back the Turanic Raiders goddamit.

One of the first things Rob said during the reveal panel was the story would be going back to its roots, IE more HW1, less HW2 from the sound of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I don't know which of these is worst, but they're my main contenders for why the plot of HW2 sucks:

All the stuff about prophecy could work, but it's got nothing to work on, besides paying lip service to the religious undertones of the first two games. It's too many Chosen Ones at once.

Also, them not mentioning the Somtaaw or the events from Cataclysm can be technically forgiven, but I really, really liked the characters and plot in that, cliché as it was... But practically killing off the Bentusi offscreen was unforgivable, I love those guys! :(

Taking out the Bentusi was one of the things I liked about Homeworld 2's plot because it let you know that things weren't loving around and it was time to stand up and take care of your own poo poo after they'd helped you out so many times in HW1 and Cataclysm. And Campbell Lane's death in the intervening years means they probably won't recon it either.

Plus it makes the Planet Killers popping out of nowhere at the end of the game hit even harder, especially if you're familiar with the background design and worldbuilding stuff because you realize "Oh gently caress, the T-Mat are real, and the Bentusi aren't around to keep them in check any more..."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Sounds great, thank you! I've heard that there is a must-play community patch for Homeworld 1 Remastered? Is that on the Steam workshop or on a Nexus/Moddb somewhere? Is there also a similar patch for HW2:R?

The Community Patch covers both games, iirc, and is up on the Steam Workshop. I think the only thing that are up on places like Moddb are stuff like the Homeworld Complex mod. Which is just batshit nuts with the amount of stuff they’ve added to the game and worth checking out in its own right because the guy behind it actually helped Gearbox on the remaster along side the Black Bird folks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I’m probably in the minority here but I actually preferred the Homeworld 2 UI over the original, so I was fine with them backporting it to Homeworld 1 out of convenience/:effort:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordja posted:

Their last update talks about monoliths, and the fact that they'll be central to the battlefield. I'm expecting them to function like some sort of cover system.
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/homeworld3/updates/1199

I'm kind of floored that it's somehow raised $1.5 million on top of whatever money Gearbox was already throwing at it since the game was allegedly "fully funded" at the time the donation page went live. It boggles my mind how THQ just sat on the Homeworld IP for years as fans pleaded with them to make a new game, then Gearbox comes along and shows that people are willing to fork out nearly $2M for just the idea of Homeworld 3 :vince:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Harbor Ship Bentus, the Last of the Bentusi in the Tri-State Area

Homeworld 2 thinks that Cataclysm did and didn't happen at the same time and its weird as poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Has BBI stated whether they view Cataclysm as canon?

If they have, I haven't heard. They might, for all I know, because in one of the cutscenes in Deserts of Kharak that shows an ancient Gaalsien mural depicting the exile from Hiigara, Kiith Somtaaw's emblem is among the lineup of kiith icons.

e:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 20, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Somtaaw were around in HW1's manual!

Oh, I know, but it was line a one line mention in like Kiith Gaalsien's write up, I think. A bunch of smaller kiith got the same treatment, Cataclysm plucked them from obscurity and made them major players.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

At this point it doesn't really matter. On the whole Cataclysm only really established two important things for the ~~~lore~~~. 1) The Taiidan empire fractured into two factions, the Republic and the holdouts from the Empire and 2) the Somtaaw become more important by the end of the game. The second you can get away with just throwing their name in with Sjet, Soban, or Naabal for us giant nerds and the first is just "Whatever, they're part of the Hiigaran republic now.

Like as good of a game Cataclysm is it is still basically just a space zombie outbreak.

lol I just looked up a PDF copy and while I can't say for sure if its a complete scan Ctrl+F can only see one mention of the name. Unless there was a pile of notes behind the scenes that didn't make it into the first game's manual it looks like Barking Dog created everything to do with the Somtaaw besides of the name.

Page 23 of the soft cover physical manual, in the Gaalsien write up:

quote:

Of the three major religious kiithid, Gaalsien, Ferriil, and Somtaaw, it was Gaalsien that preached the strongest message of punishment. The dogma of righteous suffering and humility held that Sajuuk had cast our people down to Kharak from some celestial paradise to pay for our arrogance.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah DoK sorta nods at some elements of Cata's backstory (mainly the Somtaaw being superzealots that suddenly hard-turned into a mining Kith), which is probably as close as we're gonna get to "officially canon" unless someone hands BBI the source code.

I like what they did with Gaalsien in DoK, making them super huge hypocrites trying to keep the other kiithid down with their religious lunacy, and yet they knew all about Hiigara, and the Taiidan, and the exile, and the hyperspace ban, and xenogenesis, and alien life, and are just flush with contemporary Homeworld galaxy-level tech because they've been recovering and repurposing crashed starships for centuries at this point and they just kept it all to themselves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

They definitely knew that their species had been exiled to this planet and would be destroyed if they ever returned to Space. I don't think they knew much more than that though.

Again, I point to the mural a few posts up. The Gaalsieni knew about the loving Kadeshi. You can see the Kadesh ship breaking down in the great nebula along the way to Kharak and it's surrounded by (Kiith) Kadesh symbols.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

:geno: "Subject did not survive interrogation."

For me, it's always going to be "Sir, I have multiple contacts on closing vectors. Unknown profiles... No recognition codes... Uhh, they're not ours."

Just how existentially terrifying that moment must have been for that crew. You can hear the breath leave that dude's body.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I've always appreciated that he regains his composure by the time he says that the captive didn't survive interrogation.

You know exactly how horrifying that guy's life became

One thing I appreciate by them bringing back the original voices for Karan and Fleet Intelligence for Homeworld 2 is that it lets you imagine that HW2's Intel is the same dude from the first game and he is not fazed by ANYTHING by that point. Just like "gently caress yes, bring the ancient alien superweapon to bear on the other ancient alien super weapons trying to genocide us... again."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Orv posted:

Lmao, loving Gearbox jesus christ.

https://www.pcgamer.com/gearbox-acquisition-kills-homeworld-3-fig-investments/

Apparently anyone who backed at investiture levels on Homeworld 3 can go gently caress themselves and get nothing. I still think investing in Fig on an actual meaningful amount of money level is a very dumb thing to do but what a terrible way to handle things.

E: The game is still totally happening, to be clear, it's just dumb business bullshit and loving people over.

That whole Fig thing was sketchy as gently caress too and just a way to bilk more money out of people by Gearbox. The game was already fully funded by Gearbox itself. Why the gently caress did they even need a crowdfunding campaign?

God, I hope Blackbird isn't affected by all of Gearbox's scummy fuckery, but we'll see.

E: Looks like this is being blamed more on Embracer buying Gearbox than anything Gearbox itself did.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 9, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I wouldn’t have been an “investor” even if I had contributed to the campaign but setting a $1 goal just meant “We don’t actually need this” to me.

Also acknowledge Homeworld Cataclysm you cowards.

They flat out said at the unveiling event that the game was already fully funded, the Fig campaign was just for [gimme gimme hand gesture] reasons and was effectively just a really convoluted pre-order scheme.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

murphyslaw posted:

Goddamn what is it about gearbox that skeevy poo poo always happens around the company. I mean good on them for the HW remasters I guess but I think BBI should look for a new publisher.

Randy Pitchford owns the rights to the Homeworld IP, so BBI can go wherever the hell they want, they'll never be able to make another Homeworld game anywhere BUT at Gearbox. At least they're now able to make Homeworld games period after THQ sat on Relic Entertainment and forced them to pump out WarHammer 40k games until they crumbled into insolvency and Pitchford snatched the Homeworld IP out of their rotting corpse like Thanos picking up an Infinity Stone.

It's the worst of all worlds, but it's via this dark bargain that we'll ever (hopefully) get a game that looks, sounds like, and in actuality is "Homeworld 3".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah no one lost any money on this so while kinda lovely-looking it's not exactly a huge scandal or anything.

Oh, I thought everyone was still on the hook for their donation pledges and the money just went up in smoke. If they weren't actually charged for it yet or they're all getting refunds then that's probably the best way this story could end. Still it proves the power of the IP as a concept alone that people forked out $1.5 mil out of their own pocket, with basically zero prompting, and in a matter of days because they thought it would help make Homeworld 3 a reality.

Apparently people really want to play Homeworld 3 for some reason :thunk:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aXRvXnOY6M

And a trailer for Homeworld Mobile. ...If anyone gives a poo poo about that sort of thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Polaron posted:

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

I tell you what, they make those port fusion chambers out of some really sturdy stuff. Twenty two years and there's never been a breach in a port fusion chamber.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Got excited for a second that there might have been some hint of news that had just dropped.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mordja posted:

My god, it's genius...Flip the banana on its side!

boomerang

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think it's still Karan. Direct references to opening the Eye and the diaspora to Hiigara and all that. She just has hair now.

Yeah, the backstory to Homeworld 2 says that plugging Karan into the hyperspace core in Homeworld 2 made her immortal now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mean, it would be pretty cool if whoever gets hooked up to become Fleet Command gets bombarded by the memories and emotions of everyone who was Fleet Command before them, so in essence they all become Karan S'jet one way or another. That would be a better way to do it rather than "lol space magic made Karan immortal".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm just dead and numb to nostalgia milking at this point. I wish they'd just kill Karen already and explore something besides her and the cosmic messiah stuff. We've had 3 games full of that so I honestly expected something fresh here.

I'm actually fully with you on that one. I think Homeworld 2 really whipped out its dick and pissed all over what made Karan's story special in the first game, specifically that moment at the end of the game where they cut her out of the ship and she's the last person to set foot on Hiigara and then she just... goes on living her life as best she can. Her becoming Hyperspace Jesus was really dumb, but by that point they'd gone from aping OG Dune as their source material to aping the batshit insane later Dune books like the one where the dude becomes a worm god, so whatever.

They're claiming Homeworld 3's gonna be a course correction on some of Homeworld 2's more bonkers missteps, but we'll see won't we.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

It'll be fun when it turns out that HW3 is a stealth version of the Dust Wars concept before homeworld 2 was retooled.

I'd be cool with that. I read the spec bible for Dust Wars that got leaked on Relic HQ after Sierra imploded and it was pretty drat good. If I recall correctly, it was hardware limitations that killed Dust Wars because even the computers they were using to make the game couldn't handle the full scale megaliths they were designing, so the ones that showed up in Homeworld 2 were the biggest ones they could get away with, like Bentus, the cut up wreck of the Progenator flagship and the wreck of the Agamemnon in Karos.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

THE BAR posted:

I don't necessarily need a Freelancer 2, but I sure wouldn't mind a truly finished and polished Freelancer.

You should look on ModDB, there’s a ton of really good Freelancer mods that come close to doing just that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The Homeworld Remastered box set was pretty nice quality (I long since lost that key chain though) so I went ahead and splurged for 3's.

Not a huge fan of it coming with a year one pass because of The Implication though

e: Lol I just found it. What a good day :v:

I regret not getting it because that Mothership model was rad as poo poo. But I was at a point in my life where I was like “I need less useless plastic poo poo in my living space, not more.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Gordon posted:

For anyone with a bad case of Homeworld nostalgia, do yourself a favor and check out Nebulous: Fleet Command

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command

Until HW3 releases at least :D

By that same metric, also check out Falling Frontier

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1280190/Falling_Frontier/

It's not going to be out until later this year, but it will most definitely beat HW3 to launch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Nothing can take us far enough, emotion
Far enough together
As the light shines so bright
Bright enough to let us in

I often dream of a Homeworld TV series done by HBO or the like, and it having an HBO-caliber opening credit sequence starting from right here in The Ladder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpLm4Nh7jNM&t=37s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

For some reason I had thought that game was lost to time and only CD copies existed any more.
:monocle:

The source code for Cataclysm has been lost. That's why Gearbox hasn't bothered to remaster it like Homeworld 1 and 2, because they would have to build the game from the ground up and not even the folks at Blackbird even know where to begin with it because it was outsourced to Barking Dog Studios, who are now Rockstar Vancouver. And BBI's got better things to do right now like finish making Homeworld 3 anyway.

Making digitally available versions wasn't the problem, it was Sierra, Vivendi, and THQ just sitting on the IP rights and doing nothing with it because they all considered it a dead franchise that was the issue. Once Gearbox got a hold of it and HW:R proved that people still wanted to buy and play Homeworld, Cataclysm went right up onto GOG.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Assessor of Maat posted:

IMO, something needing to be patched into a workable state by a small group of dedicated staff from two companies is one of the stronger signs that management hosed up badly, and will gently caress up again.

Allow me to introduce you to a man by the name of Randall S. Pitchford II...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phrosphor posted:

You can wishlist it on Steam so hopefully that means no.

It definitely means no. Stuff that's Epic exclusive isn't even searchable on Steam let alone wishlist'able.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.ign.com/videos/homeworld-3-whats-new-in-the-upcoming-rts-sequel-gamescom-2022

Rob Cunningham sits down to talk with IGN about Homeworld 3 at Day 1 of Gamescom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.ign.com/videos/pinball-fx-homeworld-journey-to-hiigara-pinball-announce-trailer

It's Homeworld pinball BAY-BEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Adun posted:

Also when you show up at Hiigara and it's pretty much just Earth-like so yeah seemed pretty clear these guys were humans.

I'm so excited for Homeworld 3, looks like everything Homeworld 2 was supposed to be (as much as I still love HW2). Been about 8 years since I built a new gaming PC but I'm going to have to get a new one this year for Homeworld

I always assumed that the Homeworld galaxy was very much a Dune or Foundation type setup where everyone was either human or a human offshoot race that all came from a single long-forgotten point of origin and have been separated for so long by time and distance that they are all essentially different species by now while still looking visually indistinguishable.