Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Homeworld 1 was deeper from a 3D movement POV than Homeworld 2, IMO. The second one was more about engaging large fleets and the spectacle of that sort of management. The game actually flattened a lot of the playspace - just take a look at the campaign missions in Homeworld 2.

Homeworld 1 had a lot of depth when it came to the movement because the firing solutions were actually calculated based on ballistics, unlike the random number generation of HW2. So it actually mattered which way your ships were pointing; for example, I could score hits with Assault Frigates on strike craft because I was manually making them turn using the move commands, to keep their turrets on target. If you were descending as you were firing the ship wouldn't have to turn as much because the strike craft would be chasing them down - so you could use the upwards deflection of the turret in addition to rotating the whole ship to make them fire on target.

Other examples of the importance of proper movement was how you could issue attack-move commands, so for example you could tell your Destroyer to attack a target, then attack-move it straight backwards, getting it out of the enemy's range but still keeping the forward beam cannons on target.

I also liked the very minor order-chaining you could do with Homeworld 1. So for example, tell your scouts to guard the Resource Controller, tell your Resource Controller to guard your Harvesters and tell your Harvesters to harvest. You'll end up with the RC and fighters equidistant from all the Harvesters so it's optimal for defense and construction.

#hugeHWgeek

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hit, hit, damage report.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Neat trailer and yea, it does look like Dust Wars.

Gonna wait to see if they really push the 3d maneuvering though. That took a huge step backwards in HW2 compared to 1. That and the cool spaceships are the only reason I'm interested in the game at this point, hopefully they can write a good story again.

In HW1 I could dodge enemy fire by sending my ships straight down and they couldn't track me because their gun turrets were on top.

In HW2 every map was essentially flat and the guns were all RNG so it didn't really matter what you did with the physical ships, you just had to have the right rock paper scissors combo.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Arc Hammer posted:

Go back and replay Homeworld 2 remastered. About a year after launch one dedicated developer not only managed to fix the broken projectile and formation issues from HW1 Remastered but also successfully ported them into HW2.

I tried but I can't get into the garbage interface and bland maps. :\ I do appreciate the dev putting in that effort though.

Really was not a fan of hw2 lol.

Also Taiidan has the true claim to Hiigara. Kushan are the evil empire. Nothing anyone can say will ever change this truth.