Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:siren:Release date is May13!:siren:
https://x.com/HomeworldGame/status/1755336023653982597?s=20

Did not see a thread for this, surprisingly! Probably because it was just announce and the game is only a few months into production, but they've naturally drummed up a trailer already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J675BQaIuQs

quote:

Frequently Asked Questions

When does Homeworld 3 come out?
We're aimed at Q4 2022. It's a little early days for a firm date, but we'll keep you posted.

How much of Homeworld 3 is done so far?
We're a few months into pre-production. That means we're pretty early on. That's why we want to bring you aboard now, so we can hear from you and other fans about what's important. The project is still at a stage where fans can influence the game without harming the overall schedule!

Which platforms will you support?
It's just too early to make any decisions here. 2022 is a long way away. But we'll of course be on PC!

Why are you only asking for a dollar?
Because we want it to be clear that the game is on a solid foundation, funding-wise. We're partnering with Fig to give back to longtime fans who have sustained Homeworld for 20 years by giving them a chance to invest in Homeworld 3's success and help us understand the game they've been dreaming about.

What's in the Collector's Edition?
Since we're still a ways out from launch, we want your help with what should be in the Collector's Edition! We put a big list of ideas is in the backer survey for you to check out. So tell us what you want to see, and we'll set about making it a great box of goodies for the Homeworld community.

Which languages does Homeworld 3 support?
It'll be developed in English, and we expect to localize the game. The specific languages are still under discussion and we'll be making decisions based on past places where Homeworld has done well, and new places where we expect Homeworld 3 to succeed. We'll let you know where we land well ahead of launch.

My bundle includes copies of Homeworld Remastered Collection and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak. When will I get those keys?
You'll receive your keys at the end of the 30-day funding period.

How does Discord access work?
In order to be assigned to the "HW3 FIG Supporter role” on the Official Homeworld Discord server, you will need to link your discord account to your fig account, which you can do here: https://www.fig.co/account If you forget to do it before pledging, that's ok! It will still work if you do it after pledging. Just link your account and join the server at discord.gg/homeworld

When is Homeworld 3 set?
We are not ready to give out too many spoilers for the plot, but the game will take place at some point after the events of Homeworld 2. This is not a prequel.

Like the FAQ says, :turianass: pledging :turianass: at the $60 level gets you Homeworld Remastered and the Deserts of Kharak sidequel, which may be a bargain if you are still looking to pick those up...

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38556KTTR0

Rob Cunningham of Relic and now Blackbird Interactive talks about how Homeworld came to be.

His comments about when Gearbox bought the Homeworld rights really makes me relieved that things turned out the way they did. With Randy buying the rights just for shits and giggles it could have been kept in cold storage for all time.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Homeworld franchise is part of the midweek madness sale on Steam. Remastered collection for $6.99, Desert of Kharak for $9.99 (both are 80% off)

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I still have all of my original HW/Cat/2 cds, do they work with Win10 if I bother to get a cd drive?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm going to write a brief guide as soon as I'm back home on how to get original HW and Cataclysm running under Win10. It takes a little registry editing and some flags in the shortcut, but it's totally doable with the original executables. GoG is also selling Cataclysm as "Homeworld: Emergence" (due to Blizzard owning the name "Cataclysm," I guess) so that's another way to get a hold of it.

I'm a huge loving shameless 20-year Homeworld fan with the Mothership statue on my desk, etc. I have to say that I'm more optimistic – although cautiously so – than most people ITT. Yes it's Pitchford's Gearbox, but it's also BBI and the DoK team. They understand the level of responsibility they're taking on, and judging from the post they wrote it seems like they are trying to be more careful about assessing community input and transparency this time around.

My real concern is about the story, narrative, and presentation, which IMO were really poorly handled in DoK, and interfered with my enjoyment of the game. I think they nailed the atmosphere, but it lacked the subtlety of the earlier games, and induced a lot of guffaws and eyerolling. I'm not convinced that won't happen again. I also think the current art style is not quite there, it's too "we only had a ruler" pseudofuture, but they also have three+ years to develop it, so.

I have a little optimism, if for no other reason than there is probably a hoard of grognards invading the dev discord and they have 2+ years to complain.

I also think a lot about how Homeworld influenced other mediums: the Battlestar Galactica reboot comes immediately to mind. :bsg:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's nice to know so many of the original devs are involved, those were both great watches!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Homeworld franchise is part of the midweek madness sale on Steam. Remastered collection for $6.99, Desert of Kharak for $9.99 (both are 80% off)

If you still haven't gotten the remasters and/or are feeling nostalgic: these two games are normally $85USD combined and you can now get them for $16! :homebrew:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mordja posted:

Very reminiscent of DoK which I'm all for.

Same devs! Reposting these awesome vids since it has been a year!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38556KTTR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KVlgcmR4Y

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ZombyDog posted:

Just listened again to Yes's Homeworld. Man that was such a treat when I finished Homeworld for the first time, and it still rocks. I'm glad the remasters exist but they didn't recapture the enthusiasm I had in '99 for Homeworld. Deserts of Kharak was good a blend of Homeworld aesthetics and Ground Control but is another one that I struggle with on replaying. I don't know what to expect from Homeworld 3, I want more lore and to see more of the Homeworld universe but I don't know if that's within the scope of an RTS by a small studio like BBI.

Bigger than the original team, innit? :toot:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Burns posted:

I thought there was some new news on HW3 but i guess there isnt anything new?

Just a few second clip of a railgun frigate drilling a ship. :sicknasty:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh no, some fans of the game who were offered an opportunity to pre-order the game like a Kickstarter and were never charged a dime will now never be charged a dime.

Let me clutch my pearls. :rolleye:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

New Super Metis posted:

hello posters of this fine thread, as games IK I am popping in to ask if you would like a shiny new thread title, as I believe Homeworld 3 no longer qualifies as "just announced"

unless you take that to mean not "recently" but "this is all that's happened so far," then it still works I guess

Homeworld 3: Battlechat ASMR

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Epic Prison Guy posted:

See now, this poo poo pisses me off. How the gently caress do you lose an entire video game (cataclysm) or have it stolen? Did they have it backed up on like on zip drive that someone pickpocketed? How does that even loving happen?

It was probably on a company HDD that was eventually wiped or destroyed.

There was really no such thing as off-site data storage in 2000. Definitely not one that you would pay to keep the code of an already-shipped game.

It probably does exist somewhere, but good luck finding whichever dev made a local backup 21 years ago...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
wow no one has mentioned Nexus: The Jupiter Incident yet...

:smith:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, :member:-berries gotta :member:-berry so of course they are going to lean into every aspect that pulls at my thirty or forty year old heartstrings...

Plan R posted:

Now watch how the big boys do battle!

Games I'll Never Get but Still Want Anyways:
Nexus 2
Half Life 3
Homeworld 3
Independence War 3
Omikron 2 (with David Bowie)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Skyl3lazer posted:

Freespace 3

:sigh:

drat you

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ahhhhhhh! I knew I remembered you doing something like that!!!
:unsmith:

chaosapiant posted:

I want Freelancer 2 with Elite Dangerous graphics, Galaxy, and flight model.

Well, let me tell you about the biggest scam in gaming!! :homebrew:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arc Hammer posted:

I like how the spice harvesters in Villeneuve's Dune movie look like the Kapisi from DOK. Cyclical design imitation.

The Atredies radio chatter also gave me HW/DOK flashbacks!

Just like :bsg:’s whole visual/audio design!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
For some reason I had thought that game was lost to time and only CD copies existed any more.
:monocle:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I thought SotS would be more 4X like, I think. I probably would have liked it a lot more if I’d contextualized it as store brand Homeworld instead of store brand MOO.

I really just wanted all of those games to be Stellaris but nothing was Stellaris until Stellaris.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Arc Hammer posted:

I keep equating Sword of the Stars with Sins of a Solar Empire but I think Sins is more fun.

:lol: just realized I’ve been thinking of Sins the entire time y’all were discussing SotS...
:laugh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why aren’t these games being made anymore. This is what the people (me) want!

HallelujahLee posted:

well only like 6-8 months maybe and we get homeworld 3, would be nice to get a freelancer 2 though

All the money went to shart shitizen...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Wasn’t the easy mode gimmick for HW1 to scrap your whole fleet at the end of each mission so you went to the next with just the mothership and some collectors?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Adun posted:

Also when you show up at Hiigara and it's pretty much just Earth-like so yeah seemed pretty clear these guys were humans.

I'm so excited for Homeworld 3, looks like everything Homeworld 2 was supposed to be (as much as I still love HW2). Been about 8 years since I built a new gaming PC but I'm going to have to get a new one this year for Homeworld

Well, good news, you can actually buy a GPU for MSRP for the first time in ~3 years and AMD is about to release the Zen4 so you’ll be able to get brand new chipsets with DDR5 or get the current gen for even cheaper!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

lagidnam posted:

Seems like bitching about old space games not getting a proper sequel might work. Look what appeared on the epic store:

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/sins-of-a-solar-empire-ii

Early access starts on the 27th.

I fully believe that it was me thinking of this game while everyone discussed Sword of the Stars that brought this into being... :c00lbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, their original target was Q4 2022 and it’s still Q1 2023 so it’s not even that late by current standards. Almost every major studio pushes release dates by a year or more since COVID…

Hopefully they’re aiming for a launch by next winter but :iiam:.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

Every time I see one of those previews, I'm getting excited. Then I go to my Steam-Wishlist, realize the game is coming out in February 2024 and get disappointed again. loving hell, this will be a painful waiting time

It's 1998 again: just play Baldur's Gate until Stalker comes out and then it will be time for Homeworld.
:pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Not sure how we missed this, but if anyone reading this somehow does not already own DOK, it’s free on EGS for the next 24 hours:

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
https://x.com/HomeworldGame/status/1755336023653982597?s=20

May 13