Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
During the NXT Takeover thread, Foochs posted this:

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Wrestlers beating the poo poo out of security to get at each other might be in my top 5 favorite wrestling spots.
So I posted:

No Irish Need Imply posted:

name the other 4
And Foochs said

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Let's see.

In no particular order, off camera high flying moves breaking up pins, an actually well executed YAY/BOO, stolen finishers in a blowoff match, and a staredown that genuinely works, probably.

HM goes to any face turn that involves a smug heel gradually realizing that an ally is in fact turning face, the best example ever of that being Big Dave turning on Evolution.

A good list! What tropes do you like?

I like myself some finisher tropes myself. Stolen finisher in a blowoff match is huge for me, I pop every time. Hell, when it makes a surprise appearance in a random match, I pop. The stolen finisher sequence in the Rock/Taker/Angle triple threat is a great example.

Another finisher trope I like is when the finisher that no longer works post-turn, which introduces the new finisher. Recent examples are Bryan vs Cena and Io vs Candice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A wrestler arrives to support their buddy, and they're wearing their shirt to also demonstrate that support..... then they take the shirt off to reveal the shirt of the opponent instead! :aaa:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I really like character work and wrestling that seems clever. So my biggest thing is sort of both, it's the thing where wrestlers build a counter sequence bit by bit across matches and general character work. It really enhances a big match if there that sort of continuity and storytelling, because it is sort of unique to the medium of wrestling that your fights have to build an entire coded language between just two competitors.

My big example is in Jericho-Naito II, where Jericho pulls the ref for a repeat of the finish from Jericho-Naito I, but Naito has got that trick figured out and then it leads to finish, which included a tender loving moment between a man and his belt that had been built up through characterwork prior.

I also love when a post-turn character fully embraces their new alignment, almost like they are performatively defending their decision to change. Like when a new heel just has the biggest poo poo eating grin when coming out with their new stablemates, or a new babyface is overjoyed to be playing to the crowed. A really fun energy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

karmicknight posted:

I also love when a post-turn character fully embraces their new alignment, almost like they are performatively defending their decision to change. Like when a new heel just has the biggest poo poo eating grin when coming out with their new stablemates, or a new babyface is overjoyed to be playing to the crowed. A really fun energy.

I was just listening to an old Observer interview with Ricky Steamboat from 2000 and he was talking about how he had desperately wanted to turn heel right at the end of his career but got told by EVERYBODY that they wouldn't allow it because he was the eternal babyface. The sheer pleasure in his voice when he was talking about how great it would be to finally yell at the fans to shut the hell up was a delight.

Anyways, the poo poo-eating grin on KENTA's face when he came out with Bullet Club for the final of the G1 Climax to support Jay White was :discourse:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Hulking up by hitting yourself is my absolute favourite

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I love it when a third party butts in on a feud or storyline and the chaos that creates. The Hardys vs Edge & Christian was already a really good series but then the Dudleys came in and had basically the exact same match booked for two Wrestlemanias in a row and the Summerslam in between and it got better every time and everyone was down for it. Trips inserting himself into the Rock/Austin feud whenever one of them was injured/filming a movie was great because he was such a good villain in '99/2000 and he played off of both Rock and Austin so well. Okada and Tanahashi are in the midst of a legendary rivalry when AJ Styles comes in and he and Bullet Club steal the title a couple of times, as well as the various interplay between the New Japan main eventers over the last few years like the 3 I mentioned plus Naito, Omega, and Suzuki, and now Switchblade and Ibushi.

Times when it doesn't work out as well: Charlotte getting added into every other title match because she's Charlotte, Batista coming back and winning the Rumble when the storyline for the last 6 months had been about Daniel Bryan (though I suppose that's less "butting into a rivalry" and more "attempting to replace one of the rivals")

Hell it's not really a wrestling exclusive trope, I love it in just about any action-based form of fiction.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Beatdowns and ambushes that take place NOT on the day of the show, like when the Horsemen broke Dusty's arm in a parking lot.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Eye pokes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When two guys are trading strikes and just when it looks like one of them's finally got the advantage the other guy throws out a headbutt and sends them to the floor.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Kickout of a finisher at a one count during a high-paced stretch. When done right it causes a crowd to go absolutely crazy

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

When two guys are trading strikes and just when it looks like one of them's finally got the advantage the other guy throws out a headbutt and sends them to the floor.

Shingo does this but with a lariat instead and it owns

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Kickout of a finisher at a one count during a high-paced stretch. When done right it causes a crowd to go absolutely crazy

A well executed no-sell is so good. Ishii is obviously master of this. Another favorite example was when Shibata straight up ate a Rainmaker during his title match with Okada and kept standing.

Relatedly, my favorite subversion of this was during one of the NXT War Games matches where it looked like Kyle O'Reilly was going to power through a German Suplex...and then just fell over.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My absolute favorite was CM Punk vs Undertaker, where Punk spends most of the match kicking Taker's rear end and eventually puts him in the Anaconda Vice. To which Undertaker just sports a great look of "No gently caress you" and Punk freaks out

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

small/average sized dude starts feeling themselves, hits unaware huge dude with a weapon shot, huge dude turns around with an almost bored :manning: "really?" face

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

this one is great too, yeah

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jerusalem posted:

A wrestler arrives to support their buddy, and they're wearing their shirt to also demonstrate that support..... then they take the shirt off to reveal the shirt of the opponent instead! :aaa:

This is the best one

Also refs going “YOURE OUTTA HERE!” and the heels having a meltdown about it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

When the heel pretends their diaper is full to trick the face into letting down their guard, without realizing that the face actually has a full diaper and knows exactly what's going on. the anticipation alone

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DJExile posted:

small/average sized dude starts feeling themselves, hits unaware huge dude with a weapon shot, huge dude turns around with an almost bored :manning: "really?" face

I will literally never not love that stupid cliche, yea. Huge guy just slowly turning around after a hit that should lay him out all 'come on did you really think this was a good plan?'

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Zack Saber Jr constantly using strikes only to get knocked out with one blow by the other guy

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I will literally never not love that stupid cliche, yea. Huge guy just slowly turning around after a hit that should lay him out all 'come on did you really think this was a good plan?'

it's extremely Pro Wrestling

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Heel hits a babyface with something, turns to mug to the crowd, and the babyface gets up (possibly immediately) to stand behind him glaring, with bonus points for how well the heel acts like the cheers are for him.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Heels turning babyface for one match like in Taichi vs Switchblade in this G1

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Heel hits a babyface with something, turns to mug to the crowd, and the babyface gets up (possibly immediately) to stand behind him glaring, with bonus points for how well the heel acts like the cheers are for him.

I like the companion piece to this.

Babyface knocks heel down, and then sets up for his finisher. (Think 'tuning the band', or The Rock getting into that pose), and the unsuspecting heel slowly gets up and slowly turns around only to be clobbered by a Rock Bottom/Sweet Chin Music etc.

DJExile posted:

I like the companion piece to this one also. Where a smaller, (and therefore worse), wrestler suddenly gets ideas above his station, and tries his move on a main eventer, and the main eventer, just dismissively murders them. (The one I am thinking of is when The Hurricane tried to double choke slam Austin and HHH at a Royal Rumble ages ago.)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

BrigadierSensible posted:

I like the companion piece to this one also. Where a smaller, (and therefore worse), wrestler suddenly gets ideas above his station, and tries his move on a main eventer, and the main eventer, just dismissively murders them. (The one I am thinking of is when The Hurricane tried to double choke slam Austin and HHH at a Royal Rumble ages ago.)

Goldberg v Nunzio is a good example of this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not sure if it's a trope so far but in former friend turned blood rival matches like Zayn/KO and Ambrose/Rollins, when the face is about to finish their former friend off and hesitates at the moment of truth. For the Zayn /KO match he actually went through with the final blow but with the other match, Ambrose pretty much deliberates over smashing Rollins with a curb stomp for too long and lost.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

gently caress yes, inject this directly into my veins it's the loving best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wrestler A pops up on video screen, making you think they're in the back. Wrestler B pays full attention to video, not realizing it's pre-taped, gets attacked by Wrestler A. This used to get used a LOT in the Attitude era.

Face is cornered. Realizes he's about to catch a king-sized asswhipping. Either says something ballsy like "Make it good!" like Dusty Rhodes, or the Zeke Jackson version "You better make this look good", or throw a shot, like Cena before the Nexus tried to commit murder on his rear end, since you may as well get your money's worth.

Any time someone turns face by virtue of "Look, I'm a dick, but even I have my limits, and this isn't okay". Examples of this are Punk's face turn in 2011(which boils down to Vince abusing his power), Sheamus turning face because Mark Henry 's bullying has gone too far, Piper turning face in NWA because Don Muraco and Ole Anderson keep picking on Gordon Solie, Regal turns face because HHH took advantage of Eugene, etc.

Lights go out, and when they come back on, a beloved pissed off face makes their shocking return. Examples of this would be Sandman returning to ECW, Super Dragon getting a HUGE pop for saving Kevin Steen from the Bucks, etc

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Synchronized finishers.

Big men doing flippy poo poo.

Wrestlers who don't wear their Championship belt to the ring. They either carry it in their shoulder (Kevin Owens) or they drag it (The Rock, Randy Orton).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yay/Boo and a well built hot tag are probably the two that will always get me going

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Forceholy posted:

Wrestlers who don't wear their Championship belt to the ring. They either carry it in their shoulder (Kevin Owens) or they drag it (The Rock, Randy Orton).

You would love Tetsuya Naito then.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I loving love when two wrestlers use each others finishers. The AJ Styles vs John Cena match, to this day, is one of my favorite WWE matches period for this. Styles uses the AA, Cena uses the Styles Clash. loving awesome match.

To go with that, I think the thing that made Invisible Stan vs Invisible Man so good is that it played heavily into tropes (boo / yeah, Heel getting in the refs face, the face doing a crazy dive to take out the heel, etc) so it made the "match" easy to follow even though there was nothing happening in the ring.

EDIT: This thread is the stuff I love in pro wrestling. I love this thread.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 31, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I hope somebody remembers this, but John Morrison did this once on a random episode of ECW and it was great. It was when he and Miz were a tag team (and a great one at that, to every poster's surprise), and Miz was having a solo match with Morrison on the outside. Morrison interferes and gets the YOU'RE OUTTA HERE and Morrison starts freaking out, pleading his case, then suddenly he hits his entrance pose on the ramp for no reason at all, then goes back to arguing his case. It was great.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ne20q

6:02, my favorite one of these moments.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i forgot about that rad sliding X sign door, that rules

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

This just happened on Takeover Cardiff and the pop was humongous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No Irish Need Imply posted:

This just happened on Takeover Cardiff and the pop was humongous.

Hell yes, the crowd's reaction really added to it too.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I am an enormous fan of the guy in a submission doing a long crawl to the ropes followed up by the submission giver pulling him away.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

light tubes

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

it's this, this is the best spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A heel is satisfied over how smart he is, but then backs into a large face and has a moment of pants-making GBS threads fear before turning around.