Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
back rakes. It's such a stupid, petty thing to do as a heel and it cracks me up. There's no offensive purpose for it, it's just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

back rakes. It's such a stupid, petty thing to do as a heel and it cracks me up. There's no offensive purpose for it, it's just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Has a match ever ended with someone tapping out to a back rake? It seems like an obvious comedy spot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk
Wrestling perfection seared into my brain forever :hellyeah:

My head hurts just from watching that chair shot.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Low Desert Punk posted:

this and eye-pokes. i love old-school heeling.

i dont know if this is a trope, but I like it when an established tag-team beats a thrown together team of two singles superstars. makes tag-team wrestling seem important and its own thing,

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seams posted:

this and eye-pokes. i love old-school heeling.

i dont know if this is a trope, but I like it when an established tag-team beats a thrown together team of two singles superstars. makes tag-team wrestling seem important and its own thing,

this is why i loved the shield so much (and to a lesser extent, the nexus before they got cena'd)

like no matter how strong the three guys were individually, the shield were better as a group

unless they were a family. a wyatt family

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Oh another one, when a smaller face offense actually makes sense, like keeping their opponents off balance or using their weight against a heavier opponent. I dunno why but I always thought of the Hurricane vs. the Rock is an example of a smaller guy, who wasn't using power moves but like his weight would like force the Rock to ht the ground so the ring did the damage. I realize I am not explaining this well but you get what I'm saying.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

On the note of the Wyatts, it never happens often but I love when some wrestler ends up with a career-long nemesis they can't be rid of, no matter where things take the both of them. Bray Wyatt to Daniel Bryan, Tito Santana to Rick Martel. The sort of thing where a guy will be in a random battle royal, hasn't interacted with his enemy in forever, and yet here he is to ruin his poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't there some number one contender's match months after Wyatt and Roman finished feuding, and Bray busted out the 'ANYONE BUT YOU ROMAN' taunt. I thought that was neat and it'd be a cool running thing to come back to if WWE evey bothered to plan long term beyond "BROCK FIGHT BABYFACE AT MANIA". Like, Bray does not want Roman to be the champ. Even beyond his own ambitions for the belt, if it comes down to it, he'll cost himself the title if it means Roman can't win it either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

Wrestling perfection seared into my brain forever :hellyeah:

This is 100% my favourite wrestling moment of all time. I know this entire segment beat for beat, shot for shot. Every face in the crowd, every reaction. I've watched it hundreds of times. The greatest pop I've ever seen. Amazing. Perfection.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Did someone say when someone hits a lariat so hard it causes the other guy to do a full flip before hitting the mat? This is my favorite and don't mind agreeing with someone about it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Richter Scabies posted:

Did someone say when someone hits a lariat so hard it causes the other guy to do a full flip before hitting the mat? This is my favorite and don't mind agreeing with someone about it

Especially when the guy getting flipped is a big motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sqFambBnAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tziKnlqEG8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is 100% my favourite wrestling moment of all time. I know this entire segment beat for beat, shot for shot. Every face in the crowd, every reaction. I've watched it hundreds of times. The greatest pop I've ever seen. Amazing. Perfection.

It still blows my mind that on the other station they did the Fingerpoke of Doom, AFTER making fun of the notion of Foley winning the title on Raw :lol:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Something that was used tonight (not used to its maximum potential, unfortunately) that I absolutely love is the visual pinfall. It can be so crushing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shine posted:

Especially when the guy getting flipped is a big motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sqFambBnAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tziKnlqEG8

it's called the Rikishi Bump for a reason

it's amazing how even at his fattest, Rikishi was still an athletic enough motherfucker to be doing those flip bumps

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Something that was used tonight (not used to its maximum potential, unfortunately) that I absolutely love is the visual pinfall. It can be so crushing.

I remember being a 9 year old Hulkamaniac and losing my mind that the pin on Warrior at WM6 didnt count. I kept yelling "Everyone saw it they should look at the tape!"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thought of another good one while I was falling down a youtube hole earlier today

when you get a staredown between two sides of a hot angle on the last show before the big match

This is my favorite one that I can recall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb6AVIwfb1Q

crowd literally shaking the camera with their hype

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Thought of another good one while I was falling down a youtube hole earlier today

when you get a staredown between two sides of a hot angle on the last show before the big match

How did they gently caress this angle up as badly as they did, gently caress

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How did they gently caress this angle up as badly as they did, gently caress

WWE loves invasion angles but doesn't want anything outside of WWE looking good so this happens every time

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

IcePhoenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAdWcfpM_Y&t=213s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This was so cool, God bless John Cena's Stupid Team of loving Idiots :allears:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lmao

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Watching the NJPW show right now and KENTA teasing a stomp but jumping over YOSHI-HASHI and then casually kicking his head and smugly celebrating reminded me that I really love just that: A heel doing a lovely, cheap move and then celebrating like an rear end in a top hat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahaha perfect

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Mister Perky posted:

It is apparently a callback to Flair's 1st World Championship win, in which he successfully came off the top rope for the finish.

It's a clever bit of long term storytelling, then, to have Flair never give up on the tactic that worked so well the first time no matter how many times it's failed him since, but it requires periodically explaining/reminding the audience of that bit of trivia to provide context, which is just the sort of historical acknowledgment wrestling has always been deliberately bad at providing (especially Vince), and so without that it just becomes this dumb thing Flair inexplicably always does.

As a kid I always rooted for Flair's opponent trying to roll over while in the figure four. Just hulking the gently caress out trying to flip Ric over.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

This was so cool, God bless John Cena's Stupid Team of loving Idiots :allears:
Coining this + naming HBK's submission are the only two good posts I've made.

Critical posted:

I remember being a 9 year old Hulkamaniac and losing my mind that the pin on Warrior at WM6 didnt count. I kept yelling "Everyone saw it they should look at the tape!"
I love that every poster has a young mark "look at the tape" moment.

Mine wasn't even a special moment. I was a kid flipping channels on a Saturday morning and fell onto Superstars. Some heel cheated to win and I was livid. Why couldn't the face explain what happened? They recorded it, start the match over! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! So I kept watching.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
My favorite trope is they almost never go to the tape. I hate that weak bullshit when they do it in real sports.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

You should absolutely NEVER go to tape in pro wrestling. The only thing that does is open up the question of "why wouldn't you go to tape every single time a heel cheats to win". The ironclad rule should be that only what the referee sees counts, and the decision made by the referee is always final. Maybe allow for a tiny bit of leeway for an extremely rare Dusty finish. But never go to tape, it's pro wrestling and not real sports.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

always go to tape, always have a heel editor who makes the faces look like liars

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A heel editor is a galaxy brain idea, I agree

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

The entire production crew of WWE are heels

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

extradite THIS! posted:

I know AEW's editors are able to take bumps.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Cavauro posted:

always go to tape, always have a heel editor who makes the faces look like liars

my concept for saving tna was to have jim cornette cut a two hour promo on how jeremy borash was sabotaging the show by editing it into looking like crazy bullshit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coining this + naming HBK's submission are the only two good posts I've made.

gently caress IT IT'S SUBMISSION TIME was a great time in our lives :allears:

I love that every poster has a young mark "look at the tape" moment.

Mine wasn't even a special moment. I was a kid flipping channels on a Saturday morning and fell onto Superstars. Some heel cheated to win and I was livid. Why couldn't the face explain what happened? They recorded it, start the match over! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?! So I kept watching.

It's not quite the same, but I always loved Steve Austin telling the story about watching wrestling as a kid and seeing the heels beating on the face in an unfair situation, noticing a cop with a gun nearby and pleading with his exasperated mother to explain why the cop wasn't getting in there to hold them off with the gun and help the face :kiddo:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

You should absolutely NEVER go to tape in pro wrestling. The only thing that does is open up the question of "why wouldn't you go to tape every single time a heel cheats to win". The ironclad rule should be that only what the referee sees counts, and the decision made by the referee is always final. Maybe allow for a tiny bit of leeway for an extremely rare Dusty finish. But never go to tape, it's pro wrestling and not real sports.

DDT had a match with VAR and it was a very good and funny one off gimmick.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
using replay/VAR in a Dusty Finish for a Tag Team Championship match to make fun of the NFL's bullshit is the angle I'm dreaming of.

"Upon further review, he did not complete the process of grabbing the tag rope with both feet on the mat, therefore we do not have a legal tag, therefore we do not have a legal pinfall, the referee's decision is overturned, champions retain via disqualification"

[because when has the tag rope rule EVER been enforced in tag team wrestling?]

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I remember Eddie Guerrero doing a thing where he deattached the tag rope from the corner, so he was technically hanging onto it for tags while walking all around the ring

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

DeathChicken posted:

I remember Eddie Guerrero doing a thing where he deattached the tag rope from the corner, so he was technically hanging onto it for tags while walking all around the ring

man, remember the tag rope

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man, I remember Eddie being the G.O.A.T.
Spinning straw into gold like Rumplestiltskin.
Trying to take Rey's firstborn like Rumplestiltskin.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Trying to take Rey's firstborn like Rumplestiltskin.

The best wrestling storyline of all time tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

DDT had a match with VAR and it was a very good and funny one off gimmick.

You can't mention that one and not post the video of it:
https://twitter.com/dramaticddt/status/1014109618778398721