Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
Who puts a crank on a piece of handheld electronics and doesn't even have that crank charge the device? I loving hate this OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Sleeveless posted:

Honestly if you're just doing emulation the phone that you carry in your pocket every day is already more powerful and has a bigger screen and better sound than just about any chinesium bootleg handheld gaming device you're going to get now, the only real problem is the lack of physical buttons. I know there have been different attempts at making controller mounts for phones or accessories to add buttons but nobody's really seemed to nail it, the best thing we've gotten from it is some hilarious mock-ups of a Microsoft patent made by what I presume is the same guy who makes those fake next-gen console renders every year before E3.

https://i.imgur.com/O33qEgs.gifv

phones have bluetooth and xbox / ps4 wireless controllers support bluetooth. so i think for gaming, it's sufficient just to put the phone on a stand and play w/e game you want with a ps4 controller. i don't think we need the equivalent of switch controllers for phones.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Goons: baaah fun thing must be mocked

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

defaultluser posted:

Or you can buy this for almost half the price ($35 from Pocketmini).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4nchhbk3Hw

It has a more powerful processor, and a tempered-glass IPS display plus 60fps unlocked with the latest firmware.

You can buy it on Amazon for $40, if you'd rather not buy direct/Fleabay:

https://www.amazon.com/PocketGo-Por...l/dp/B07SRXBX2S

This Retro Fishing Pro system was dead the moment it was announced.
Pocket Go has unacceptable screen tearing to me and actually I think the LDK's processor is considered better with better emulator compatibility.

EDIT: As I post this, I realize I didn't watch your video mentioning a screen tear fix. Hmm, might be worth looking into.
EDIT 2: I dunno, I watched the fix, but the comments mention that it doesn't work on every model and it's more of a hardware issue since it's a 30hz screen having problems with 60fps games.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 3, 2019

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Whybird posted:

No but seriously what the loving poo poo is this image. It horrifies me on a deep and visceral level.

Machine learning tried to make human composites from Garry's Mod screenshots

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

is there anything you enjoy? every time i see you post it looks like a cry for help.

I can't seem to find the pictures anywhere but that was a reference to a thread where a goon did a "case mod" for his DS by cutting the plastic cartridge holders out out of the boxes his DS games came in and supergluing them to the back of the DS. It was very funny and they all fell off in like a day, wish I could find them.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
So, the Juicero folks are making a handheld gaming device now?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I generally find nerd stuff awful, but this is awful WITH A CRANK!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Calling this overpriced junk cool is being extremely generous.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Resting Lich Face posted:

Calling this overpriced junk cool is being extremely generous.

Then... Ignore that it exists and don't buy one.
Why is this so hard for people?

If someone wants to charge $200 for 2 Dixie cups with string run between them and call it the new thing in phones... Who gives a poo poo? They aren't trying to offend you.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Big Beef City posted:

If someone wants to charge $200 for 2 Dixie cups with string run between them and call it the new thing in phones... Who gives a poo poo? They aren't trying to offend you.
Ehhh, we made fun of the OUYA as well and that was a hilarious disaster.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Sleeveless posted:

All they made was the crank.

best bit imo

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

Yes, but no one would consider two cups and some string a good phone.

Now, if someone said that two cups and string was the NEXT INNOVATION IN PORTABLE GAMING!!1!!1 then that would be sufficiently oblique and therefore worthy of comedic ridicule.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ok so a artisinal bespoke game boy with a crank is not good enough for you goons? Challenge you to design better, bonus points for patent illustrations.

First idea is just to put a game boy on a bop it, then you have so many more options than just a crank. Or maybe giving a game boy a second screen.. like a touch screen... Could call it a "duo screen" or something.

But I think my best idea is to make a game boy with a chewable pressure sensor attached. You could make a game about being a cat and then you bite the system when you catch prey. Catsare really in with the internet indie crowd, they'd love it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Ok so a artisinal bespoke game boy with a crank is not good enough for you goons? Challenge you to design better, bonus points for patent illustrations.

First idea is just to put a game boy on a bop it, then you have so many more options than just a crank. Or maybe giving a game boy a second screen.. like a touch screen... Could call it a "duo screen" or something.

But I think my best idea is to make a game boy with a chewable pressure sensor attached. You could make a game about being a cat and then you bite the system when you catch prey. Catsare really in with the internet indie crowd, they'd love it.
Hey, Nintendo experimented with a pulse sensor for the Wii, having a chew sensor would be right up their alley.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rad-daddio posted:

So, the Juicero folks are making a handheld gaming device now?

Hey now, the Juicero was also hugely impractical Wi-Fi networked device that nobody asked for or could afford outside of a very narrow slice of Bay Area shitheads but at least the machine itself was hilariously over-engineered and powerful to the point where they might have been selling it at a loss. The Playdate has the specs of a $20 keychain Tetris handheld minus the backlighting.

Big Beef City posted:

You don't like the thread? Then...ignore that it exists and don't read it.

If someone wants to laugh at people charging $200 for 2 Dixie cups with string run between them and call it the new thing in phones... Who gives a poo poo? They aren't trying to offend you.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
So, the people who make the overpriced synth only made the crank for this gaming device?

That's like ten minutes of work in Solidworks or any other cad software.

Stay tuned while Rad-Daddio designs valve caps for the 1998 Chevy Cavalier.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

No. 6 posted:

Don't ever post this image again

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Big Beef City posted:

I can't believe that people are mocking stupid poo poo on the something awful forums.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
attaching the crank to a hamster wheel to get the higih score

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

yes, my only voice in the free market is my wallet

commenting further on idiotic poo poo being a stupid scam is way above our qualifications, we are only allowed to either consume or not consume

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Smythe posted:

attaching the crank to a hamster wheel to get the higih score

Like all of the lazy and out of shape folks who were trying to find workarounds for Pokemon Go so they wouldn't have to walk.

"If I attach my phone to a ceiling fan mounted outside I won't have to waddle around the neighborhood".

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Big Beef City posted:

That's absolutely worth making fun of. Take your nihilistic bullshit elsewhere.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Martman posted:

yes, my only voice in the free market is my wallet

commenting further on idiotic poo poo being a stupid scam is way above our qualifications, we are only allowed to either consume or not consume

I came here to chew bubblegum and shitpost about video games

...and I'm all out of bubblegum.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Former DILF posted:

Wait it’s a black and white non backlit gameboy and that crank doesn’t charge the battery? what in the hell

seriously that was the only reason i even clicked the link in the first place

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sorry OP but I want to disagree with you here, there's no way a "handheld gaming device" could ever be "cool" because gamers are the absolute opposite of cool.

god bless

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

This will be a cool ten second novelty when they release a Resident Evil 1 port and you can crank the system's handle to actually crank the handle in-game for the dam/waterway. Or maybe they can release a game about being a 1930s cameraman for a film studio. Lotta possibilities here.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

This will be a cool ten second novelty when they release a Resident Evil 1 port and you can crank the system's handle to actually crank the handle in-game for the dam/waterway. Or maybe they can release a game about being a 1930s cameraman for a film studio. Lotta possibilities here.

beyoind good and evil but with a 30s noir aesthetic

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The weird thing about the crank is that the only game they've shown off for it is a narrative-driven game where you turn the crank to control the passage of time and progress through the story. Given the pedigree of indie devs they've got working on this it seems like the majority of the games that come out for it are going to be like that, very short storygames that don't really gain anything from being portable and are just rocking the affected retro aesthetic for effect. The people making it have joked on Twitter that there will definitely be at least one fishing game in the first season but this seems like the type of platform that should be emphasizing repayable arcadey experience you can pick up and play or strategy/RPGs with a ton of iteration and progression rather than a game about a sad robot going on a date that you crank though once and then roll credits.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
goons that care a lot about a hobby for children surprised that the targeted consumers of a new children's toy are being treated like children, news at 11.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

I tried it at PAX, only demo game was the gimmicky time travel crank-only game which was kinda interesting I guess but not worth getting the console. That said, the console looked and felt really really great, and if the library was good enough I think it'd be completely worthwhile console.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

Pocket Go has unacceptable screen tearing to me and actually I think the LDK's processor is considered better with better emulator compatibility.

EDIT: As I post this, I realize I didn't watch your video mentioning a screen tear fix. Hmm, might be worth looking into.
EDIT 2: I dunno, I watched the fix, but the comments mention that it doesn't work on every model and it's more of a hardware issue since it's a 30hz screen having problems with 60fps games.

Read the text at The site I linked for sale:

https://retromimi.com/products/pocketgo-retro-gaming-system

All PocketGo sold here has been updated with the Latest V1.2 CFW.

And here buying DIRECT FROM MANUFACTURER, SAME CFW 1.2 STORY!

https://www.bittboy.com/collections/pocketgo/products/pocketgo-retro-handheld

If it's a hardware issue, why are they making the 60fps fix official? Driver folks who worked on the fix just said it's Bitboy's unfamiliarity with the SPI bus and their new IPS screen, not a hardware issue!

And CFW 1.3 fixes NES performance, which was the last major complaint.

Don't believe the poo poo from it's launch back in June, or posts from assholes trying to poo poo on this thing perpetually. It's really only needed software fixes to make it shine.

THERE IS NO MORE TEARING. There is Slowdown, in more complex (SNES, PSX, Sega 32X) games, sure, but it just skips frames and keeps rendering at 60 fps synced. But for every other system, it's smooth and fast.

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 4, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

That's absolutely worth making fun of. Take your nihilistic bullshit elsewhere.

Lol, never

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Didn't Soulja Boy get sued for selling his bootleg Chinese PSP knockoff? :laugh:

repeatedly.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Literally A Person posted:

I generally find nerd stuff awful, but this is awful WITH A CRANK!

I guess that's the moral of this story.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
can't you buy a switch with that money and play something better? haha swing

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

why does this image exist? this is downright loving sinister.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Mods please probe anyone who quotes that picture again

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

That thing is fuckin stupid, dude. I hope your dreams of getting talked to while fiddling with one at a Starbucks work out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

5er posted:

That thing is fuckin stupid, dude. I hope your dreams of getting talked to while fiddling with one at a Starbucks work out though.

I've never been called a nihilist over a video game thing I never said I liked before, I can say that.
But everyone sure seems upset about it.