Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Big Beef City posted:

I've never been called a nihilist over a video game thing I never said I liked before, I can say that.
But everyone sure seems upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Big Beef City posted:

I've never been called a nihilist over a video game thing I never said I liked before, I can say that.

I for one think :words:

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

:crab:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Can you hack it and play Game & Watch games on it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I've got both a bittboy v3 and a LDK landscape on its way in the mail, thanks thread.

I also have a Dingoo from 2009 that amazingly still works, china really knows how to make these generic knockoff emulator handhelds.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Honestly this thing's closest cousin is probably the P/ECE:

Japan-exclusive handheld put out in 2001 by a doujin group, long after more advanced color systems came out. Had some kind of homebrew capability. Not much info on it in English, but at least there's a video of one of the games.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Just hack your 3DS and play your roms on that like a normal person, no need to go out and buy a whole other extra thing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
But what if I want to crank it on the go?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

a game about a sad robot going on a date that you crank though once and then roll credits.

A game where the sad robot goes on a date and every time the date goes to the bathroom or to order something you have to crank as fast as you can but if the date sees you crankin it's game over. You can press a button to accidentally drop your fork on the floor and go under the table to look for it where you can safely crank for a little while but the date will randomly check on you.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Then... Ignore that it exists and don't buy one.
Why is this so hard for people?

If someone wants to charge $200 for 2 Dixie cups with string run between them and call it the new thing in phones... Who gives a poo poo? They aren't trying to offend you.
so rational. not like those people with opinions and jokes and conversations

Big Beef City posted:

yeah everyone else :yikes:

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 4, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hipster g*me boy has fewer games than the ps triple, which had no games at all

i always wondered how you can have a "negative value game" but here we are

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I think new ways to control really expands on gaming, and lets us play games in ways we haven't before. Also, games without a color palette have been proven to still be fun. I like the idea of the crank, which reminds me of the precise analog control you get with a wheel used in Pong/Arkanoid/type games that you can't even replace with an analog stick.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I don't think arkanoid would play very well with a crank

Hopefully the crank is detachable so you can play with a knob after cranking off the shaft

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok really maybe ive never lived in hip enough of a city but are there really grown adults (30+) walking around with handheld game systems. in the real world ? i mean i started with the first gen gameboy in the day and i took that poo poo everywhere but i just can't see it happening now

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

r u ready to WALK posted:

I don't think arkanoid would play very well with a crank

Hopefully the crank is detachable so you can play with a knob after cranking off the shaft

Not saying it would. And yes, I’d prefer a dial for Arkanoid. Similarly to how a crank is better for fishing than a dial, some other game we haven’t thought of could be.

That would be cool if you could use a knob like you said.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 4, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i dont understand the crank. in the video it seemed to move a preset sequence forward and backward. but why would you want to do that. and what other uses does it have. it is a mystery

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wait what? The crank is a controller? I thought it was to charge the battery like the laptop they sold to people in the middle of nowhere?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Play posted:

i dont understand the crank. in the video it seemed to move a preset sequence forward and backward. but why would you want to do that. and what other uses does it have. it is a mystery

Try doing that with a D pad or a an analog stick with as much precision.

Anyway, I don’t want to start a debate. I don’t have much of an opinion on whether this thing will fail or not.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Good Sphere posted:

Try doing that with a D pad or a an analog stick with as much precision.

Anyway, I don’t want to start a debate. I don’t have much of an opinion on whether this thing will fail or not.

yeah that's true but moving a sequence back and forth is not something that's done very often in games. I honestly can't really think of a use. maybe it could move a mario type guy backwards and forwards, but wouldn't your right hand that would be pressing buttons then be taken up with that so you wouldn't even be able to jump?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
A crank is great for controlling the progression of text and movement, it actually fits that so many storygame people are working on it because it's basically a video game mutoscope.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Sleeveless posted:

A crank is great for controlling the progression of text and movement, it actually fits that so many storygame people are working on it because it's basically a video game mutoscope.

Oh, yes. This is definitely what people in 2019 want.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Play posted:

yeah that's true but moving a sequence back and forth is not something that's done very often in games. I honestly can't really think of a use. maybe it could move a mario type guy backwards and forwards, but wouldn't your right hand that would be pressing buttons then be taken up with that so you wouldn't even be able to jump?

Some of the best games are made by not following the usual conventions. That’s innovation. Of course though, this can go totally wrong.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to jump, or that it would have to be necessary. Depends on the game too, which may not involve a playable character. Might be a spaceship in space.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

marijuanamancer posted:

ok really maybe ive never lived in hip enough of a city but are there really grown adults (30+) walking around with handheld game systems. in the real world ? i mean i started with the first gen gameboy in the day and i took that poo poo everywhere but i just can't see it happening now

Yeah, it seems a little atypical. I guess with smartphones being ubiquitous it seems strange to carry around a whole other less capable device for gaming.

I mean, besides the lack of good physical inputs on a phone.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Your mom is a weird but cool handheld gaming device lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like the concept but the high price tag and the slow trickle of games really make me skeptical of the execution here.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

If you crank it hard enough it overheats and throws burning shards of lovely monochrome screen into your eyes and two birds one stone.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
you catch me at cha local party
yes i crank it everyday
haters gettin mad cuz
i got me some indie games

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

it's gonna fail reel bad

because the only games that will be made for that crank will be fishing games

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

AKZ posted:

If you crank it hard enough it overheats and throws burning shards of lovely monochrome screen into your eyes and two birds one stone.

I heard it was going to be filled with a translucent white coolant like the android blood in Alien that comes out of it to help keep it from overheating if you crank it too much.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Alucard posted:

I heard it was going to be filled with a translucent white coolant like the android blood in Alien that comes out of it to help keep it from overheating if you crank it too much.

No that's just my rear end in a top hat

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait what? The crank is a controller? I thought it was to charge the battery like the laptop they sold to people in the middle of nowhere?

Nope. It's sold to idiot techbros with more money than sense.

Welcome to 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Keita Takahashi is a super cool dude who had the good sense to tap out of the gaming industry and focus on doing installation art and playgrounds while Namco ran Katamari into the ground so I'm glad he's at least getting paycheck out of this thing.

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Nope. It's sold to idiot techbros with more money than sense.

Welcome to 2019

With one exception every "indie" developer they've announced partnering with lives in the bay area or New York, so at least they know their audience.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Next year's burning man will have a sea of dudes cranking these things while their wives are getting cranked by their boyfriends in the arts and crafts tent

vvv; then come up with a better joke without workshopping it, doofus

Commie Lasorda fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 5, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Next year's burning man will have a sea of dudes cranking these things while their wives are getting cranked by their boyfriends in the arts and crafts tent

LOL epic cuck meme, le upboats good sir :razz:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Their simulator line looks interesting.

"Sausage Maker"
"Air raid siren operator"
"Antique telephone simulator"
"Street-side organ grinder"

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Alucard posted:

This is ridiculous!
How can you even gather digitalmon with this?!

And charge this?!

It seems unseemly!

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I have no eyes and I must crank.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Mr. Bones posted:

you catch me at cha local party
yes i crank it everyday
haters gettin mad cuz
i got me some indie games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Not only will this thing be a breakout hit, but I see an entire future where all of our appliances have these new found "cranks" on them. By golly, just imagining it makes my eyes water a wet dripful tear.