Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*carefully reverses crank to a time before cranks were invented as videogame input devices*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
You've played gashapon games, but with the Playdate you can play gashapon games.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

Keita Takahashi is a super cool dude who had the good sense to tap out of the gaming industry and focus on doing installation art and playgrounds while Namco ran Katamari into the ground so I'm glad he's at least getting paycheck out of this thing.

oh poo poo he's involved with this? honestly all the concrete info people have been saying is just making this sound really interesting

like obviously not something anyone sane would use as their primary gaming device, and not something anyone should spend over a hundred dollars on, but it'll be cool when it hits $20 a few years after it drops

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

primary gaming device,

lol

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oh right i forgot we're in the part of the forums where everyone is a musclebound sexhaver with no time for the games

seriously come the gently caress on dude you know what i mean, nobody's replacing their PS4 with this unless they're a crazy 1800s person who thinks the hand crank makes it more acceptable in God's eyes

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

oh poo poo he's involved with this? honestly all the concrete info people have been saying is just making this sound really interesting

...It'll be cool when it hits $20 a few years after it drops

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like obviously not something anyone sane would use as their primary gaming device, and not something anyone should spend over a hundred dollars on, but it'll be cool when it hits $20 a few years after it drops

He didn't have anything to do with the hardware, he was just the first person whose game was shown off for the system when they announced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxrfgCIZ-c&t=42s

The fact that the reflectiveness of the screen and lack of a backlight is distracting in the video they made to explicity show off the system doesn't really sell me on their pitch that it makes th experience more atmospheric and intimate.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sleeveless posted:

He didn't have anything to do with the hardware, he was just the first person whose game was shown off for the system when they announced it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwxrfgCIZ-c&t=42s

The fact that the reflectiveness of the screen and lack of a backlight is distracting in the video they made to explicity show off the system doesn't really sell me on their pitch that it makes th experience more atmospheric and intimate.

I take it all back. Give this thing the ability to take phone calls and do email/text messaging and I'll buy ten of them.

Rascar
May 3, 2005
DICK

Sleeveless posted:

LOL epic cuck meme, le upboats good sir :razz:

touchy subject?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I'm waiting for the follow up system; Crank 2: High Voltage

It has a crank and a military grade taser that kills you when you die in a game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rascar posted:

touchy subject?

Yes, I lost a family member to an tedious unfunny joke run into the ground by idiots.

Literalman
Jul 31, 2019
Looks like a Game n Watch or a Tiger electronic game thingy.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hell Yeah posted:

oh yeah well i know of another weird but cool handheld gaming device that can be cranked, its in my pants and your mom has the #1 high score on it and her initials that she put in are MOM

Why would she initial it with those letters? Is that all she sees herself as? It's just very confusing is all.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Fun-09...751577225&psc=1

You're welcome.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

so its like watching a movie except instead of the movie just playing you have to continually turn a crank to move it forward. interesting

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Sleeveless posted:

Yes, I lost a family member to an tedious unfunny joke run into the ground by idiots.

While your wife was getting railed by her boyfriend I'd assume.

Yeah that could be traumatic.

Now go home and get your loving crankbox

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
For sale

Playdate

Never cranked

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Play posted:

so its like watching a movie except instead of the movie just playing you have to continually turn a crank to move it forward. interesting

lol

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

Play posted:

that's a very base level explanation of what a video game is, yes

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Play posted:

Which makes it more interactive than Metal Gear Solid 4!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

phones have bluetooth and xbox / ps4 wireless controllers support bluetooth. so i think for gaming, it's sufficient just to put the phone on a stand and play w/e game you want with a ps4 controller. i don't think we need the equivalent of switch controllers for phones.

this is what I do. i have a bluetooth controller and an andriod tablet with a little kick stand build into the case. i just set it up and play SNES games on an emulator. really no need for purpose build handheld gaming devices these days

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
The crank mines bitcoin

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Assuming that all the disclaimers about it not supporting emulation or ROMs are a smokescreen to cover for how easily developers are going to crack this thing wide open and load everything under the sun onto a single microSD card this is actually pretty rad compared to what the Playdate is offering.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sleeveless posted:

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Assuming that all the disclaimers about it not supporting emulation or ROMs are a smokescreen to cover for how easily developers are going to crack this thing wide open and load everything under the sun onto a single microSD card this is actually pretty rad compared to what the Playdate is offering.

$200 lol

aren't there a bunch of $50 things on aliexpress that already emulate gameboy games and poo poo

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
They should make a wind up smart phone for developing countries....

....or Califorinia.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Inept posted:

$200 lol

aren't there a bunch of $50 things on aliexpress that already emulate gameboy games and poo poo

Yea, there are pieces of poo poo that suck. This is a good thing that is good, and it isn’t an emulator

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

They should make a wind up smart phone for developing countries....

....or Califorinia.

You can just say developing countries

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The aliexpress handhelds typically have 320x240 lcd screens that look a bit ugly when you scale games running lower resolutions (snes and nes is 256x240, gameboy is 160x144)

If it is easily hackable and the display is as good as they claim I could see myself wasting $200 on it. I think the disclaimers are just to keep nintendos army of lawyers away.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

AdmiralViscen posted:

Yea, there are pieces of poo poo that suck. This is a good thing that is good, and it isn’t an emulator

Yeah, but what market are they shooting for?

Is there a tiny little enclave of hipster cave dwellers who were used for the marketing research?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Inept posted:

$200 lol

Yeah, there are hundreds of such devices, maybe a dozen that are actually good. Some of the better ones can emulate every console up to PS2/Gamecube/XB, and can play any arcade game that anyone cares about. Some of them will even play most audio/video media files as well, and a few even have wifi/browser capabilities. Ten years ago my wife's pocket dictionary could do all of the above (minus the wifi/PS2 stuff) and it was ~300 RMB.

Good Example:

r u ready to WALK posted:

I've got both a bittboy v3 and a LDK landscape on its way in the mail, thanks thread.

I also have a Dingoo from 2009 that amazingly still works, china really knows how to make these generic knockoff emulator handhelds.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Ten years ago my wife's pocket dictionary could do all of the above (minus the wifi/PS2 stuff) and it was ~300 RMB.

god bless china :china:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000016529147.html

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
i for one am INCENSED by all of this

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

AdmiralViscen posted:

By definition it is an emulator. It is emulating a piece of hardware using a different piece of hardware.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

Yeah, but what market are they shooting for?

Is there a tiny little enclave of hipster cave dwellers who were used for the marketing research?

You realize they have had three successful products previously, right

Mooey Cow posted:

By definition it is an emulator. It is emulating a piece of hardware using a different piece of hardware.

Most people, like the person I quoted, are describing software emulation. This is a perfect recreation of the actual gameplay experience.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Well, this PlayDate thing looks nice but it's a solution looking for a problem if I ever saw one. The crank is a neat idea but it's looks like it's pretty limited in use and it interferes with the smooth use of the buttons, maybe a little spinpad would've been more practical for gaming.

I like the aesthetic but the price is too high and this will be another flash in the pan with very little community support.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why would you want a perfect recreation? emulators are superior! i can slap 4xSup Sai filter on there and make it look great. i can use save states, rewind and fast forward commands. i can put in an unlimited number of gameshark codes.

can't do that on original hardware

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm not a huge fan of all these small devices with vertical layouts

Nintendo switched to horizontal layouts on all their recent handhelds for a good reason, if you have large hands you either have to cramp your fingers or end up covering the screen

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

AdmiralViscen posted:

You realize they have had three successful products previously, right

Most people, like the person I quoted, are describing software emulation. This is a perfect recreation of the actual gameplay experience.

What products?

I'm genuinely curious.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just give me something that'll emulate the PS2 so I can play The Warriors and The Punisher again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Just give me something that'll emulate the PS2 so I can play The Warriors and The Punisher again.

PS2 is like the edge of portable emulation. if can be done, but only if you have the latest rich-guy $2000 phone