Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wilmot's Warehouse is a game where you organize a warehouse and deliver products to your co-workers using a system of your own design. It's a game that ebbs and flows between hectic, high tempo deliveries and calm, mind-melting tidying.
(all screenshots ripped from the steam page, I wouldn't be seen dead with a system like this)

Do you organize your wares in rows and columns? Squares? A complete mess akin to a professor's desk where you know exactly where everything is? Do you put the skis with the winter hats or snowflakes? The red dots with the red klaxons or with the differently colored dots? All that is up to you. You'll have plenty of chances to organize and reorganize your warehouse to your exact specifications,

But that's not all! Wilmot, your friendly PC, can buy upgrades that expand the floor area of the warehouse, movement speed, carrying capacity and other useful, exciting stuff. Organizing is half the battle, the other part is learning how to move around optimally and figuring out how to carry boxes without getting stuck between jupiters and floodlights and loving up your entire system.

I hope we can inspire people to buy the game in this thread, but I'm also really interested in how you organize your warehouse. Every time I boot up the game, I realize I've completely overlooked a more optimized solution, and that I'm getting closer and closer to having to re-organize my entire system because I'm running out of space. Post screenshots, theories about tidiness and whatever else you can come up with. Let's have a wholesome, efficient and optimal time together!

From the developer:
A Brief History of Wilmot's Warehouse

Tips and tricks:
  • Buy the upgrade that lets you rotate what you're carrying ASAP.
  • Prioritize smashing down pillars over the bulk upgrade. It's a lot faster to make two loads, even when you're capable of carrying ten.
  • You can rotate a straight line of blocks of any length as long as the destination is clear.
  • You can move anything as long as you can grab it. If you need to move a hundred boxes one space, just grab all of them.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

To start us off, here's my first system (a few upgrades in), and my current system side by side (buy the map upgrade to see an overview like this). None of them are optimal or ideal. The first one had a serious issue with floor space and navigation. Finding stuff was easy, but when more products showed up, and more of each product showed up, I struggled with how to make room for new stuff. The second one will eventually have a big issue with floor space (I have room for a little over 100 products I think, and the full product list is 200 items), even though it's relatively tidy. It also wastes a lot of space on products I only have one or two boxes of, I'm not sure how to solve that.

At some point I have to tear all of this down and making something entirely new. I'm excited and a little scared.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This looks neat, I had to watch the trailer on the Steam page to figure out what I was looking at but yeah I think I might be into this. Do they ramp up through a campaign kind of thing to eventually get to where you're at in the screenshots? It seems like it could be super overwhelming.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

explosivo posted:

This looks neat, I had to watch the trailer on the Steam page to figure out what I was looking at but yeah I think I might be into this. Do they ramp up through a campaign kind of thing to eventually get to where you're at in the screenshots? It seems like it could be super overwhelming.

It starts out pretty easy. You unlock four products after every delivery phase, and you have plenty of time to figure out poo poo at first, and an infinite amount to gently caress around with your warehouse after every third delivery phase (at least on normal difficulty, I have no intention of ramping up, though the option is there). At some point you'll get overwhelmed, that's when you have to survive until the next stock take (the unlimited time organizing phase) and figure out how to not be overwhelmed. It takes time, and you have to like organizing stuff, but if you do, it's incredibly satisfying.

Big ADHD brain here, no surprise.

Edit: also the screenshots in the OP are from steam, edited to clarify that.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 31, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Other tips

* The map is a waste of money. It's way in the top corner, far away from anything else you'd be doing. It's well outside your normal traffic flow.

* Prioritize smashing down pillars over the bulk upgrade. It's a lot faster to make two loads, even when you're capable of carrying ten.

I find I have to walk the line between rebalancing items so that space is efficiently used and screwing up my spatial memory of where things are. God, I paused the game to post and now I'm trying to WASD around the edit window.

What are your current rules of thumb? Mine are, first, always maintain a 4-space maneuvering area around areas of travel. That means no objects on the bottoms or tops of pillars. My current default size is that lines of boxes can be up to four wide toward the middle of the map, five wide toward the edge of the map. My typical layout is (right side of map, with ] being whitespace)

XXXXYYYYY]]]]ZZ
XX ]]QQQQQ]]]]ZZ

So basically nine-wide lines, with dumps of really large numbers of objects along the side, two deep and as long as it takes. Weird singleton objects go on the endcaps until there are enough of them to get a row of their own. What about you-all?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This piques my interest due to Cultist Simulator, which was very much a "The real insanity is the way I've arranged my play area, DON'T TOUCH IT IT'S PERFECT where the gently caress did I put the [object here] simulator"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I like the map because it helps my brain figure out the room during downtime. I spend a lot of time just staring at it moving everything around in my mind, and also I think it's kind of good for the thread? I guess if your mind just doesn't work that way, it's a waste of money.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Here's what I've been doing to try and keep myself organized.

The row I'm standing above is a listing of what exists in the row to the left and what order the items are in.

The left row is the actual items lined up that I draw from.

While I'm not a fan of the map, the manifest is the real waste of money.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Spaseman posted:

The row I'm standing above is a listing of what exists in the row to the left and what order the items are in.

That's clever. That would not have occurred to me.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah that's genius. Thread is already paying off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Arsenic Lupin posted:

* The map is a waste of money. It's way in the top corner, far away from anything else you'd be doing. It's well outside your normal traffic flow.

The map is a beautiful thing to look at when you're done organizing just so you can bask in how nice it all looks, ahhhh

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Spaseman posted:

The left row is the actual items lined up that I draw from.

While I'm not a fan of the map, the manifest is the real waste of money.
How does this work with inbounding, do you just rough sort the truck loads and deal with it on stock take or can you actually manage to slot poo poo into that set up.

It feels like no matter what your scheme, perfection is the enemy of good for deliveries and your main goal is to just not lose the thing you only have 2 of when they ask you for them.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I swear we used to have an smilie that used to look exactly like the main character in this game, I think I've found a few variants at least. :fishmech: :nsacloud: :downsa:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tombot posted:

I swear we used to have an smilie that used to look exactly like the main character in this game, I think I've found a few variants at least. :fishmech: :nsacloud: :downsa:

:nsa:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

zedprime posted:

How does this work with inbounding, do you just rough sort the truck loads and deal with it on stock take or can you actually manage to slot poo poo into that set up.

It feels like no matter what your scheme, perfection is the enemy of good for deliveries and your main goal is to just not lose the thing you only have 2 of when they ask you for them.

For stuff that I already have a place for I can grab a straight line of it and move it to the line of existing product, grab one unit of the existing product and push the line down the exact number of spaces I need. Then I just move around and grab and push the new product in line.

For new products I have a two space wide column in the middle of the warehouse that stuff goes until stocktime when I can properly give it a home.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That is utter genius, spaseman. I am also intrigued by your long narrow rows.

e:

zedprime posted:

I put those on the endcaps until they have more friends. The one that drove me nuts a couple of shifts ago was that I lost an item I had *nine* of. In two rows.

I love my little robot so much. He is so adorably inept.

Oh, put the publisher's writeup in the OP. Cool glance at game-making. "Yeah, we've been telling Dick for years what a dumb idea this was. Oops."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 1, 2019

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
The important thing to remember is that you can rotate a straight line of blocks of any length as long as the destination is clear. With this I can use a lane of only 2 blocks wide to deliver and retrieve product. I'm working one getting Shadowplay set up so I can record an example.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah you're astonishingly nimble in 2 wide lanes, even with 90 degree turns a lot of cases.

My layout can only generously be called "organically created bulk bins" with a path network that looks like a high spider made it and I while and wend 2x4 stacks through actual serpentines. Alternately you can part the seas, or Kool aid man through. It's not like you need to decide where to build racking like real life.

I think mental load is probably the biggest hurdle and that indexing trick solves that. If things get really tight you can start considering wider options with the same layout to get 2 deep lines for a really copious product and almost nothing else changes.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib
I finally got a video uploaded of my warehouse. I'm usually a fair bit faster than this but I had just done a bit of reorganizing so I got a bit lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYsW7sdwQ_U

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Spaseman, do you wind up doing massive reorgs during every stock interlude? How do you handle it when a given object shows up 12 at a time?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
Fallen Rib

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Spaseman, do you wind up doing massive reorgs during every stock interlude? How do you handle it when a given object shows up 12 at a time?

The center lane with two wide blocks is my dumping ground for new products I'll sort during stocktime. If it's something that has a home, I fill in any missing units in the line up to about 6 and everything else gets stacked against the walls near where their permenant lines are.

Finding a home for new product is really where this approach is weakest. If I want to add any new clothes to the clothing section I would need to shift down every lane below that section to make room.

I'm also not sure that this approach will scale to 200 units. That may be my downfall.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
*extremely Junji Ito voice* THIS IS MY GAME!!! IT WAS MADE FOR ME!!!

Seriously this is like the purest game you could give to people anal about cleaning up and organizing their houses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Well, there's also House Flipper. Which I recommend.

god, if only my house/warehouse were half this organized.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, put the publisher's writeup in the OP. Cool glance at game-making. "Yeah, we've been telling Dick for years what a dumb idea this was. Oops."

Hell yeah added.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I think that when you're in warehouse optimization mode, the usual rules about rotating loads don't apply, or at least you're allowed to rotate loads through other objects more often.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I simplified everything somewhat. Three square lanes makes it easy to move large volumes, four deep store space means I can move an entire section if I absolutely need to.

edit: ah what the hell did google translate twenty nineteen to twenty six??
edit2: or twenty ten???

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 1, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think that when you're in warehouse optimization mode, the usual rules about rotating loads don't apply, or at least you're allowed to rotate loads through other objects more often.
There's one rotation rule and only one. The destination tiles must be free.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game's real good. I love how relatively tense the service phase is, then when the reorg phase hits it's just a massive relief as you get to take time to figure out what you just got and fix the issues you ran into during service. I can really only play a couple waves at once before having to stop for a bit, I can tell it's going to get very crazy very soon :ohdear:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Fun little game.

I ended up using aisles 4 wide and shelves 6 deep, otherwise fundamentally similar to Black Griffon. If an aisle had several items with 1 overflow, I would try to consolidate those. Started to get real claustrophobic at the end.

The robit is terrible and hilarious, I recommend using it as much as possible if only for the antics.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

I've settled on a very lazy but easy to remember sorting system.

The macro sorting is the like most others that have posted. each column of product is a max of 4 deep. The macro sorting however is all by background color. This way I don't have to remember what type of project is where only go to aisle with right color.
During a delivery phase I drag them up 10 at a time and rough sort them putting them next to their aisle so be sorted next stock take.
It does seem to be falling apart though, im around 115 products and the bulk is starting to become a problem.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. Wow, that looks efficient. I've been organizing by brain-category.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I've considered switching to a color based system just to see if it works better. It'll probably be a Dewey-esque system with sub-categories and whatnot, but of course, it does necessitate moving what has to be 500+ items to entirely new locations. What good times.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

I've considered switching to a color based system just to see if it works better. It'll probably be a Dewey-esque system with sub-categories and whatnot, but of course, it does necessitate moving what has to be 500+ items to entirely new locations. What good times.

I wonder how much trouble I'm going to have spotting the "7" in a sea of purple-and-orange objects. Is this, for me, substituting one hard-to-find system for another?

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

This game is also really fun to play in coop mode on the Switch, I highly recommend it.

Right now, we have a system where I take all the recognizable products (food, office supplies, lighting, etc) and group them by category on the right half of the warehouse, while my partner takes all the abstract shapes and sorts them by color on the left.

It works out pretty well when we stock and retrieve things from our respective halves, but it's a hilarious clusterfuck whenever we end up having to cross into each other's sections, like where the gently caress did they put the weird blue and yellow squiggles???

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus this game owns

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder how much trouble I'm going to have spotting the "7" in a sea of purple-and-orange objects. Is this, for me, substituting one hard-to-find system for another?

That's what excites me, weirdly enough. A lot of what makes my brain tingle with this game is figuring out just how my brain deals with pattern recognition and memory. What if I switch out my system, and my brain adjusts? Fun!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

That's what excites me, weirdly enough. A lot of what makes my brain tingle with this game is figuring out just how my brain deals with pattern recognition and memory. What if I switch out my system, and my brain adjusts? Fun!

I am fascinated by how intensely I sort by words. Like, I think "upside-down shark fin", and that's necessary for sorting it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

One of mine is "nose, but isn't". I sorted it with clothing accessories at first, but it hosed with my brain, so notnose ended up in my bizarre shapes shelf.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There is one specific pattern that is "quilting square" and it goes with the sewing/crafting stuff. I don't make the rules. I make the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Hey,

I've just spotted this in my humble library, anyone know if its the full recent version I've got?