Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well yes the older you get the more of your tastebuds die. You probably only feel like 40% of the taste you did as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
The Star Wars prequels are not and have never been good, not even in comparison to the sequel trilogy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fudge Handsome posted:

The Star Wars prequels are not and have never been good, not even in comparison to the sequel trilogy.

You might as well be dying on even ground.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
It's so loving baffling to me, as someone who lived through the release of the prequels and remembers my opinion of them changing from "haha star wars wheee fun pew pew laser swords" to "holy poo poo that movie was loving terrible" to see people who poo poo on the new films turn around and hold up the prequels as some beacon of storytelling and filmmaking and acting and director skill

star wars was never good but it's never been quite as bad as it was with the prequels

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fudge Handsome posted:

to see people who poo poo on the new films turn around and hold up the prequels as some beacon of storytelling and filmmaking and acting and director skill

That’s actually happened? Do you have a link by any chance because that sounds completely insane.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If you want to get into olives (which I think you should because they're really nice!) I've known a few people who hated them try the ones I was eating at Nando's, which are mostly garlic, and after doing that a few times (like, separate occasions) they got into them. I think it's a perseverance thing, eventually after trying them a bunch you still hate them, but at some point you start getting a craving for something, and you can't put your finger on it, until you eventually realise it's actually olives that you're craving, even though you hate them? And then you eat one, and it's really satisfying, and then from then on they're just awesome.

A bit like Negroni's. First Negroni is always "Oh god, can people actually drink this?" and then I offer another one a few hours later and they're like "Oh, go on, I'll try again, eugh". And then another couple of hours "Hey, can I have another Negroni please?"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Drunk Nerds posted:

The notion that IPAs were invented to have a longer shelf life is a complete myth. In fact, an IPA loses most of its punch around 6 weeks, less if not refrigerated. I often wonder if the IPA hatred comes mostly from people who aren't checking the bottom of the cans to make sure their IPA was made recently, because a fresh IPA is a bursting bouquet of flavor.

This is a joke right?

Like, you're making a funny joke in which you don't know that IPA's were actually specifically created so olde timee traderse could carry brews on long voyages without them spoiling. Like a joke right?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Snowy posted:

That’s actually happened? Do you have a link by any chance because that sounds completely insane.

here ya go

I can't pinpoint any posts exactly, but the TRoS thread is filled with "the prequels were terrible, but at least [positive comparison]"-chat. At least people seem to universally agree that Attack of the Clones is awful though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fudge Handsome posted:

star wars was never good
no it was by every metric good for 1 movie (which was in the context of its time an outstanding movie) and then it was absolutely great (coincidentally when lucas got out of the way) then it was ok then everything since then has been poo poo

every star wars game would be rated 2/10 points less if it didnt have the star wars name. even the ones that are decent arent nearly the 10/10 games theyre praised as
its the fault of the parents buying star wars products for their kids for the past 3.5 decades that are to blame for this franchise not dying

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d like to clarify that I’m not an ageist, I love my gram gram and my weed dealer is very old, and taking away agency from adults can be heartbreaking, but allowing some adults to continue to drive makes about as much sense as letting some kids learn how to drive, it’s just not something their brains can handle anymore, and considering the stakes are as high as “dead strangers and orphaned children” it seems irresponsible and ignorant.

It's not even ageism, its sensibility. Its wild how many little old ladies I deal with in a day who are so weak they can barely walk, and need help carrying a 2L bottle to their car, then get behind the wheel of their 3-ton Lincoln SUV. Even if their reaction time is top notch, I really doubt they have the physical strength to engage in quick maneuvers to avoid an accident if needed.

Expand public transit (especially those little buses that only grab elderly and people with disabilities) and make it really hard to keep your divers license.

Also drunk drivers get away with far too much, often it takes repeat offenses before a person faces real repercussions. If you blow over (or test positive for drugs) you should have your license immediately revoked for a minimum of five years.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Exactly three star wars movies are good (episodes 4, 5, and solo). Grown adults who claim to be star wars fans are the same as grown adults who only eat chicken nuggets. Your palate is childish, just in the form of movies instead of food.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fudge Handsome posted:

It's so loving baffling to me, as someone who lived through the release of the prequels and remembers my opinion of them changing from "haha star wars wheee fun pew pew laser swords" to "holy poo poo that movie was loving terrible" to see people who poo poo on the new films turn around and hold up the prequels as some beacon of storytelling and filmmaking and acting and director skill

star wars was never good but it's never been quite as bad as it was with the prequels
I'm still half-convinced it's mostly corporate astroturf to force nostalgia for Zoomers who want something that's "theirs" given how much of their formative media was remakes of Boomer, Gen-X, and Millennial ephemera. That would explain the rather forced nostalgia for Shrek, Frozen, Megamind, the Prequel Trilogy, and the like... as well as why legitimately decent stuff like Avatar/Korra, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, and Steven Universe developed diehard Zoomer cores.

Snowy posted:

/r/prequelmemes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Exactly three star wars movies are good (episodes 4, 5, and solo). Grown adults who claim to be star wars fans are the same as grown adults who only eat chicken nuggets. Your palate is childish, just in the form of movies instead of food.
lol at bragging about all the growing up youve done since 2018

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Literally A Person posted:

This is a joke right?

Like, you're making a funny joke in which you don't know that IPA's were actually specifically created so olde timee traderse could carry brews on long voyages without them spoiling. Like a joke right?

Look when IPAs were invented it was common practice to keep the cans refrigerated.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It's not even ageism, its sensibility.

And on that note the minimum driving age should probably be brought up three or four years

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

IPAs are tasty and you can get drunker for the same volume and $ which is important in these times

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
old people around here never ride the passing lane. theyre always chilling in the right lane at some good-gas mileage speed. drive on you bodacious old people. drive on

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

gary oldmans diary posted:

lol at bragging about all the growing up youve done since 2018

theres a difference between liking an entry in a franchise and being a 'fan' of the entire franchise, especially when the majority of the content of that franchise is bad.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The lovely thing about taking senior's licenses away, at least in the US, is that we don't exactly have public transit coverage outside of cities and even in cities it can be really spotty and our infrastructure is built around having a car.

As much as I think they should stay off the roads, too.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

frogge posted:

The lovely thing about taking senior's licenses away, at least in the US, is that we don't exactly have public transit coverage outside of cities and even in cities it can be really spotty and our infrastructure is built around having a car.

As much as I think they should stay off the roads, too.

They’re the ones who voted for no transit so gently caress them

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah I guess that might change their minds to stop voting against it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It'd be a pretty good litmus test for Boomers honestly-- what do you like more, loving over the brown/poor/young or not being able to get around town?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

theres a difference between liking an entry in a franchise and being a 'fan' of the entire franchise, especially when the majority of the content of that franchise is bad.
i acknowledge that line in the sand between following a franchise and being a fan of it :hai: plus its just a really ideal time to stop being a fan until the new trilogy starts up

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

no it was by every metric good for 1 movie (which was in the context of its time an outstanding movie) and then it was absolutely great (coincidentally when lucas got out of the way) then it was ok then everything since then has been poo poo

every star wars game would be rated 2/10 points less if it didnt have the star wars name. even the ones that are decent arent nearly the 10/10 games theyre praised as
its the fault of the parents buying star wars products for their kids for the past 3.5 decades that are to blame for this franchise not dying

You are correct

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Fudge Handsome posted:

You are correct

Except for Tie Fighter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If I have to hear one more mouth-breather seriously suggest loving KoToR as a serious proposition for a movie..

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

If I have to hear one more mouth-breather seriously suggest loving KoToR as a serious proposition for a movie..
youre really not gonna like this then
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/entertainment/disney-approves-kotor-movie-line/index.html

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"The twist is almost as good as Empire only this time it turns out you were Darth Vader all along :downs:"

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

If you have a "motion detector" light in your back yard that goes off for anything, and it's ridiculously powerful and burns with the power of a thousand supernovas, then you are a lovely person

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

What if it's LED and only uses 30 watts?

Pretty sure that's less than a thousand supernovas.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
People who exaggerate luminosity are the worst. Their hearts are black. Black as the blackest black hole in the blackest bit of space.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Icochet posted:

People who exaggerate luminosity are the worst. Their hearts are black. Black as the blackest black hole in the blackest bit of space.

Black... BLACK?!! BLACK AS THE BLACK DUCKS OF DOOM *smashes keyboard and steps through Aeron seat*

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Fudge Handsome posted:

Ah yes the controversial opinion of people thinking the Star Wars prequels were bad

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

People liking the star wars prequels isn't some part of hidden drug radiowave psy-op corporate brainwashing to convince people those movies are good, the kids who first watched them when they were like 8 years old are just old enough to post excessively about it on the internet now.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I have not seen a Disney star wars movie. Which ones should I watch, oh hivemind?

Also the hill I will die on is short black coffee. Brb, gotta poop.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

If you have a "motion detector" light in your back yard that goes off for anything, and it's ridiculously powerful and burns with the power of a thousand supernovas, then you are a lovely person

Lump in people with LED headlights that could laser a mark on the surface of the sun and I'll join this political party.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

frogge posted:

Lump in people with LED headlights that could laser a mark on the surface of the sun and I'll join this political party.

Can we also add in people who use light mode when a dark mode is available?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

internet celebrity posted:

Can we also add in people who use light mode when a dark mode is available?

sure thing anakin LOL

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Bust Rodd posted:

Coffee and Beer (specifically IPAs) are beverages with terrible flavor profiles that people have to condition themselves to enjoy. Our mouths literally have to be reprogrammed to enjoy them.

Why do so many people like them then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Schlong Connery posted:

Why do so many people like them then?

Coffee? Because of it's other properties. IPAs? Peer pressure combined with not having an actual personality.