Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It must be awful to have the palate of a toddler. Are leafy greens too bitter for you too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Even people who are super into coffee and IPAs agree it’s an acquired taste and to get really deep into it you have to be prepared to drink a lot of sour bile.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
most coffee is bad coffee because so many people have no idea that its not supposed to be acrid swill but will brew it that way anyway
the people who have sampled that at various points and gotten the impression that coffee simply tastes that way and decided they dont like it are under the wrong impression about coffee but are thinking for themselves like they should

if coffee drinkers in general had any clue of what coffee was supposed to taste like you would see them approach a line of coffee pots and waft to check which one had the richest flavor and least bitterness. but you never ever ever see that happen and it would confuse most people
not impressed by the sophisticated palate of people who think "coffee is coffee"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
People are enjoying boiled beans the wrong way!!!!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Honestly, I'd do lines of caffeine if they worked. Gimme that lightly roasted Robusta.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Honestly, I'd do lines of caffeine if they worked. Gimme that lightly roasted Robusta.

I've started new ADHD meds, and wow has caffeine been wild lately.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah, mixing amphetamines with caffeine is best done in moderation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've started new ADHD meds, and wow has caffeine been wild lately.

Treasure that feeling!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm pretty sure they do but why not just swallow a pill?
Me I find good coffee has a superior affect, like it's less jittery and more glowy. I think it contains other active ingredients.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I roast my own coffee but still think coffee snobs really make too big of a deal about the taste difference. Most people who drink your typical quality cup of coffee aren’t going to have some mind blowing experience when they have really good coffee, it doesn’t taste like a completely different drink.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gary oldmans diary posted:

most coffee is bad coffee because so many people have no idea that its not supposed to be acrid swill but will brew it that way anyway
the people who have sampled that at various points and gotten the impression that coffee simply tastes that way and decided they dont like it are under the wrong impression about coffee but are thinking for themselves like they should

if coffee drinkers in general had any clue of what coffee was supposed to taste like you would see them approach a line of coffee pots and waft to check which one had the richest flavor and least bitterness. but you never ever ever see that happen and it would confuse most people
not impressed by the sophisticated palate of people who think "coffee is coffee"

For several months I've left as the only coffee available in the office Members Mark Instant Coffee and have had a resounding amount of people tell me how surprised they are by how good it is.

Yeah, because most coffee is either burned when roasted or burned when sitting on a hot plate, good instant coffee actually has flavor without acid.

The best coffee I've ever had in my life was at a coffee plantation in El Salvador and it was legitimately so good that nothing else I've ever had has come even close to it, including all those fancy "roast our own bean" hipster coffee shops that draw the flowers in the latte.

People will routinely insist I must be wrong when I tell them almost all the coffee available in the US from commercial sellers is pretty poor quality and something even remotely good is going to cost $5-7 a cup from a specialty shop (CA prices).

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am willing to die on this hill.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

:hmmyes:

2D Sonic is really fun and Sonic Mania is great, but at the end of the day it's a terrible design philosophy. It encourages great speedrunning but is full of cheap traps to actively punish you and/or slow segments, and both break up the endorphin rush of the speedrunning too much to be fun unless you really enjoy making TAS videos where savestating/restarting is a virtue.

I find Mario games more interesting to speedrun and Sonic games more fun to explore. You move around faster but the levels are proportionally bigger, and tend to have more branching paths and hidden stuff, even if the overworld map makes Mario games less linear.

Everyone plays the games wrong and it's a shame.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

gary oldmans diary posted:

We need to swap wine culture and coffee culture.

Wine almost never has cork taint. Coffee is brewed poorly extremely frequently.

Professional wine tasters can’t tell the difference “the good stuff” and “the cheap stuff”. Coffee has far greater variation in quality.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Any hill, to save any one of you.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Platystemon posted:

We need to swap wine culture and coffee culture.

Wine almost never has cork taint. Coffee is brewed poorly extremely frequently.

Professional wine tasters can’t tell the difference “the good stuff” and “the cheap stuff”. Coffee has far greater variation in quality.

I whole heartedly agree.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A hole is where you want to die, not a hill.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
As someone who’s made coffee as a job for the last sixteen years, I can confirm that ninety five percent of people neither know, nor more importantly care, anything whatsoever about coffee; “hot” and “tastes ok” is all these people need or want from a cup of coffee, and since they pay my bills, I accommodate them.
The remaining five percent is divided into two: four percent aggressive hipsters trying to out-knowledge you (tiresome), and one percent reasonable people trying to educate themselves (refreshing).

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Coffee is typically kept far too hot and if I get it in the office I'm filling my cup with ice cubes first so my mouth isn't destroyed.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Up until I was about 15 I'd only had bad coffee, and then one day because I was tired at a band rehearsal I said 'Sure, I'll have a coffee' to my Brazilian friend, who made me some good Brazilian coffee and it was like a lightbulb moment. I wanted to drink more of it because it was loving delicious. I think until you've had that, you just accept that "Yeah, everyone hates coffee they just drink it for caffeine" and then once you've had that good cup, you realise that it's actually not totally straightforward to make it taste good, so you go looking for the one you like best, and at that point you're effectively already a coffee snob. And, you know, just by it's nature that it's such a unique thing (like there are probably a hundred Brazilian coffee's I don't like) the one you get is probably not the one that someone else likes, so it's not like you can even convince someone by making them a good cup, because that might not be the one that's good to them. I've ended up buying pretty much exclusively a Venetian coffee (from the Algerian Coffee store in Soho) that has ground up figs in it. I mean, I'm basically all the way down the rabbit hole, but I wouldn't for one second suggest I was 'into' coffee because I know poo poo all about it, I just found the one I like the best, and THAT one, I want to drink a lot because I love it.

I suspect it's the same deal with beer. For me it was a stout, which admittedly is a sweeter beer so maybe that helped, but it was like "Oh, I get it, yeah, I want to drink some of this not to get drunk but because it's really nice, ok, that CAN happen" and until then it was all just a means to an end. After that though, I started actually liking a wider and wider variety, to the point now where sometimes I actually just want to drink a larger. I mean, again, I don't think I'm a connoisseur or anything, far from it! I just mean, yeah, it's more of a process, and some of them still do taste like anus, but you can put up with it more because 'some' of them taste like the nectar of the Gods.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Coffee is just a vessel for creamer.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
lol literally right now my g/f's bro is dying on the hill of not washing hishands when he comes back inside from smoking

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Chafey posted:

lol literally right now my g/f's bro is dying on the hill of not washing hishands when he comes back inside from smoking

Not washing hands in general is a war crime

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Time to vote that dude off the island

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A Hill: if you can take an entire piss without touching your wiener or the turlet, you don’t need to wash your hands.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

A Hill: if you can take an entire piss without touching your wiener or the turlet, you don’t need to wash your hands.

I don't worry about touching my wiener - it's not like it has cooties just because it is a dick.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yours is perfectly safe from stds

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Automotive technicians are not loving essential, unless they are fleet mechanics for emergency vehicles and semis.

The dealership independent shops can close now.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Coffee is so good you guys what the gently caress

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead
Genocide is bad lmao

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kingo Ligma posted:

Genocide is bad lmao

Agreed. Glad we got that settled.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
In fairness with the current world political climate it seems like an apt and relevant reason to bring back a long dead thread?

I'm with them, genocide *is* bad.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
probably the Hill of Certain Death

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Hello old friend

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bury me in these hills, OP.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

That's a volcano, idiot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

That's a volcano, idiot.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

That's a volcano, idiot.

Yeah, I’m erupting :grin:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Coffee? Because of it's other properties. IPAs? Peer pressure combined with not having an actual personality.

skinnerkidswrong.jpg

my hill is that if you communicate on an internet forum as if you were talking in person, complete with affects or typed-out pauses such as but not limited to:

"Uhh, <shithead sentence>"
"You...do...realize that <shithead talking point>, right?"
"So, <rest of shithead sentence>"
"Well, I mean, <shithead sentence>"

then a government social worker should make you take a walk in the sun for an hour or longer depending on the last time you bathed.

the same goes for any rear end in a top hat who accused any other rear end in a top hat of being a narcissist non-ironically. or gaslighting. or whatever other new term people are slinging at each other nowadays that is divorced from reality

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Meme Poker Party posted:

Bury me in these hills, OP.

Mm maybe anime is good