Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ariong posted:

That's so hosed. Even if she weren't under 18, it would be hosed.

Yup, someone in a position like that shouldn't be abusing the power/authority they have over their fans, and he definitely shouldn't have been pursuing girls half his age. 18 is still a child, doesn't matter that it's technically legal to sleep with them. It's gross enough when I see a 25 year old and an 18 year old together, but 36? Geeze.

Sleeveless posted:

I really wish they just had an entirely separate internet for everyone under 18, it would make life so much better for everyone. This isn't even the first youtube guy to have his life ruined because a girl lied about her age and then later cashed it in for cancel points once she felt guilty.

what the gently caress

He abused her. You are seriously misunderstanding the power dynamics at play here. Simple hot tip for not "having your life ruined": don't try to gently caress children, and if you're married don't try to gently caress anyone without your spouse's approval.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is amazing to me how often people try to make "Don't have a relationship with someone who is underage and don't cheat on your spouse" into this incredibly hard impossibly tough thing that anyone can empathize failing at.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I really wish they just had an entirely separate internet for everyone under 18, it would make life so much better for everyone. This isn't even the first youtube guy to have his life ruined because a girl lied about her age and then later cashed it in for cancel points once she felt guilty.

:chloe:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ImpAtom posted:

It is amazing to me how often people try to make "Don't have a relationship with someone who is underage and don't cheat on your spouse" into this incredibly hard impossibly tough thing that anyone can empathize failing at.

I guess if they're routinely trying to hook up with teenagers it can be a bit of a minefield, what with the occasional 16 or 17 year old slipping through the pedophile's no-doubt rigorous screening procedures. My solution to this as a man in my 30s is to not date anyone under 28 and strangely I haven't encountered any issues.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You had me in the first half.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
https://twitter.com/RahulKohli13/status/1313411844724281344

So I guess Adam's just a bit of a nasty guy overall.

Funny that the gameplay video they posted yesterday literally features a shirtless bearded guy as the main character, riffs on Adams computer being hacked, and unconsensual butt touching. Kind of standard really.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So about Baldur's Gate 3...

https://twitter.com/AjeyPandey/status/1313610807528300545

https://twitter.com/JareDave/status/1312739275662712832

https://twitter.com/JareDave/status/1312740021275820032

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who is orion black?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Acerbatus posted:

Who is orion black?

https://screenrant.com/dungeons-dragons-wizards-coast-orion-black-controversy-apology/

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Well at least we'll have a month off from Guy Mann's posting.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Statement from Rooster Teeth

https://twitter.com/RoosterTeeth/status/1313972165935599625?s=20

Presumably that's Haywood and Kovic both gone. I don't think we ever got a statement from Kovic, but Funhaus has lost a lot of people over the past year or so and its clear some bridges have been burned.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
This is the first one to really get me :smith:

I've been falling asleep to roosterteeth content for over a decade at this point. I've listened to hundreds of hours of Ryan's and Adam's voices. Logically I know it's all just parasocial relationships, but still my brain can't help feel sad/betrayed. Ryan, whose persona seemed chill is a loving predator.

I know Kovic put out a statement, but I can't bring myself to read it because that'll make the end official. He was my favorite :(

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Man this sucks about Kovic, I got into Funhaus fairly recently and have watched hundreds of their videos since, it SEEMS that Kovic is mostly guilty of cheating on his wife and taking those pics in the office which while lovely doesnt at least make him a predator just a bit of a lovely person, but it is rather weird that all of his friends seem to have unfollowed him on social media and Rahul clearly hates the guy for other things, so you have to wonder if there is more to his story. Ryan's clearly a creep though.

edit: apparently Adam also sent a video of him and his wife having sex to someone without her consent and if he did that well gently caress that guy and understandably his friends are distancing themselves from him

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 8, 2020

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

wasn't she like 17-18? even if he thought she was technically of age....it's hard to believe anyone who targets teenagers is anything less then a lovely person. especially when they have the weird authority being internet famous gives you.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-08-twitch-staff-call-the-company-out-on-sexual-assault-racism-more

Long article about Twitch systematically ignoring harassment, both inside the company and on their platform

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
can't say that this is unexpected

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Famethrowa posted:

wasn't she like 17-18? even if he thought she was technically of age....it's hard to believe anyone who targets teenagers is anything less then a lovely person. especially when they have the weird authority being internet famous gives you.

Stories are coming out about him swapping racy messages/photos with multiple female fans, not just the teenager.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Man this sucks about Kovic, I got into Funhaus fairly recently and have watched hundreds of their videos since, it SEEMS that Kovic is mostly guilty of cheating on his wife and taking those pics in the office which while lovely doesnt at least make him a predator just a bit of a lovely person, but it is rather weird that all of his friends seem to have unfollowed him on social media and Rahul clearly hates the guy for other things, so you have to wonder if there is more to his story. Ryan's clearly a creep though.

edit: apparently Adam also sent a video of him and his wife having sex to someone without her consent and if he did that well gently caress that guy and understandably his friends are distancing themselves from him

Lawrence has been cryptic at best about it but he definitely has some beef with Kovic too. All he has specifically alleged is that Adam didn't wash his hands after using the bathroom despite Lawrence calling him out multiple times though.
https://twitter.com/SirLarr/status/1313432059403137024?s=19

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

As a long-time fan of RT, I'm gonna drop a little bit more perspective on this one because it really deepens the whole thing:

Ryan's always the dude who has been playing up the "twisted psychopath but actually wholesome dude" for a long time, that's his whole character as a Face Talent at Achievement Hunter. He just nervous-laughs the whole thing off while showing off his knife collection (they have hundreds of knives, this isn't special to Achievement Hunter being Jackass but they play video games, but new knives go to Ryan because he's the Twisted Psychopath) . Tumblr eats that poo poo up and helps glorify the notion that he is a wholesome dude who might have a "Dom Daddy" streak where Tumblr people actually responded to one of their newer shows, "This Just Internet", hosted by the only person I believe to be 100% truly good, Fiona Nova, who is their zoomer representative. She just shows them tiktoks and poo poo to see how the older Face Talent members react.

They had two episodes which featured tweets of those users basically saying "Choke me Ryan Daddy" and he nervous-laughed the whole way through it. Both of those videos are gone now. He was either playfully stoking that image, or genuinely terrified by it being so mainstream, that he was uncomfortable the whole time while all these sext messages with younger fans were in the background in his head.

So either he used that cult of personality to prey on the 18-year-olds who would tweet that poo poo, or he preyed on 18-year-olds and was terrified of the ramifications of those tweets being a way to shed a light on the poo poo that he did. Either way, he was an rear end in a top hat that was straight-up hitting on, sexting with, and preying upon the age-range making "Ryan Strong Daddy Choke Me" jokes on the internet.

I don't know Kovic much at all but seeing Ryan go from "Twisted Psychopath Wholesome Daddy" according to his fans to "Yeah, that's a straight-up predator who cheated on his wife" has been both blood-boiling and utterly disappointing as a long fan of the channel.

At this point I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him to believe that it would matter whether they were 17 or 18 who chatted with him, he was flirting unbelievably below his own age-range, while he had a wife and two children. His rear end should be gone. The number of the age is just him drawing the line between being a pedophile and technically not a pedophile, either way he was a predator in a bare amount of sheep's clothing for plausible deniability.

I also don't know how I feel about any of the main cast now besides Fiona. She's been the loudest and most vocal about getting rid of lovely alt-right fans and protecting BIPOC, she's outright said that if you are a community member and get hit on by somebody, tell her and she will light them the gently caress up. Everyone else has been harboring a specific rear end in a top hat Personality as a Face Talent and when somebody gets outed as awful they all collectively hold hands and say "It is very sad that the milkshake duck was, in fact, milkshake ducked" and then continue on being Jackass With Videogames.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh a social dynamic where you show videos of tiktok teens saying 'choke me daddy' on your videos, seems unhealthy even if nobody involved is actually a predator

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It ain't a great look. Even without the knowledge the guy they were joking about was actively preying on teenage fans.

This isn't exactly the first thing though that makes it seem like Roosterteeth is a pretty lovely environment. I've definitely seen stuff from ex-employees about getting harassed at work and the like. I don't know if that's the whole company or anything but i'm not too surprised with employees and affiliates being revealed as awful people, though the stuff with Ryan is way worse than the other stories i've read.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

At this point I'm convinced that creators should do everything in their power to create clear boundaries between themselves and fans, and anyone who doesn't should be considered sus as gently caress. It's just an invitation for bad behavior. That detail about RT and the daddy comments is just :vomarine:

I know parasocial relationships aren't new, but goddamn does it seem to be amplified now.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 9, 2020

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Endorph posted:

tbh a social dynamic where you show videos of tiktok teens saying 'choke me daddy' on your videos, seems unhealthy even if nobody involved is actually a predator

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It ain't a great look. Even without the knowledge the guy they were joking about was actively preying on teenage fans.

This isn't exactly the first thing though that makes it seem like Roosterteeth is a pretty lovely environment. I've definitely seen stuff from ex-employees about getting harassed at work and the like. I don't know if that's the whole company or anything but i'm not too surprised with employees and affiliates being revealed as awful people, though the stuff with Ryan is way worse than the other stories i've read.

Famethrowa posted:

At this point I'm convinced that creators should do everything in their power to create clear boundaries between themselves and fans, and anyone who doesn't should be considered sus as gently caress. It's just an invitation for bad behavior. That detail about RT and the daddy comments is just :vomarine:

I know parasocial relationships aren't new, but goddamn does it seem to be amplified now.

Yeah, in retrospect those videos were pretty weird given what is known now, but the overarching theme for Ryan's Face Talent "Persona" being portrayed in that way was "these are pretty weird and he is out of touch, so this video would make him uncomfortable because he doesn't know what any of that means because he's old"

Turns out that 2 years before that video, he knew exactly what all of that meant, he wasn't a dumbass himbo who can throw knives, he was just an rear end in a top hat who flirted with near-children

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean again even if that guy was 100% the sweetest guy ever its still a weird thing to do. like fans are gonna be weirdos but no need to reward him for it. plus if the guy wasnt a creep i could imagine him being actually uncomfortable. like imagine if you showed a woman videos of guys saying they want to gently caress her

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also did they like directly show those on their youtube vids? Even with context it's not looking great for respecting the privacy of the uploader. Yeah they put up the video but they didn't share it to the whole channel audience.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Rude. I'm pretty sure Gavin being the dumbest genius to exist is his real personality.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
It should be clarified that himbo reads annonymized thirsty tweets had already been an established trend when they made those videos. It'd retroactively look bad if it was Henry Cavill, that dude from the good place, or whoever being exposed as a predator.
Fionna, as a vocal black woman in the video game industry, has been fighting the good fight for a while. In conclusion, Ryan being a predator ruined what should have been dumb fun piggybacking on an innocent trend.

E: seriously what a garbage person, may he never be in the position to abuse again

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Famethrowa posted:

As other goon dads and mums will know there is a band that makes music for kids called the Wiggles; it’s been around since the 90s with a changing cast and has since the beginning been hyper careful to avoid any contact between performers and kids because of the potential for abuse, even before there was so much scrutiny. To date they are still around and have managed to avoid even the rumour of any scandals by basically following your suggestion of keeping up barriers.

It’s possible that any mass entertainment form in the 21st century is going to need to follow this model and put up impermeable barriers between performers and their audiences.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I haven't followed RT for quite awhile, but I always thought Michael seemed like an okay guy. There was an incident a long time ago where Geoff and Gavin were doing some weird predatory poo poo involving following random women down the street or something. Rooster Teeth did their usual schtick of sweeping it under the rug and ignoring it, but Michael was the only one who ever called it out as being gross bullshit behavior.

He's a loud Jersey dickhead, so maybe I just feel a kinship with him there, but he's one of the only guys that never came across as possibly being a weirdo creep to me.

Ryan always just struck me as one of those "twisted psycho" drama kids I went to highschool with, but yeah that's some gross poo poo.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Oct 9, 2020

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

thecluckmeme posted:

As a long-time fan of RT, I'm gonna drop a little bit more perspective on this one because it really deepens the whole thing:

-snip-

Like, how do you do any part of that and think that is an ok thing to do?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

As other goon dads and mums will know there is a band that makes music for kids called the Wiggles; it’s been around since the 90s with a changing cast and has since the beginning been hyper careful to avoid any contact between performers and kids because of the potential for abuse, even before there was so much scrutiny. To date they are still around and have managed to avoid even the rumour of any scandals by basically following your suggestion of keeping up barriers.

It’s possible that any mass entertainment form in the 21st century is going to need to follow this model and put up impermeable barriers between performers and their audiences.

Maybe for mass entertainment coming out of actual studios that's possible, but I think it's unlikely that that's really going to happen for like streamers or similar where engaging directly with the audience (even if it's half-hearted listing off of donations) is a significant portion of the appeal. On top of that most of them don't have handlers or any actual media or PR training, so it'd be just kinda relying on them to be smart about it. That's not to say you're wrong that they should do that, but I don't expect it to happen for those reasons, and man that would also end up being really isolating.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
More on Ryan Haywood, another accuser has spoken up: "She says she lost her virginity to him when she was underage, and he took the condom off half way through without her consent. Includes chatlogs and photos of him in a hotel room. The birthdate on her IG (if accurate) confirms she was 17 when she alleges they had sex. Says he never asked her age before sex even though he knew she was very young, and when she told him afterwards that she was underage, he seemed unbothered. Also says that she has spoken to other fans with very similar stories to hers; all teenagers, all starstruck Ryan fans, mostly virgins, all with mental health issues and insecurities that Ryan was aware of and preyed on, suggesting a pattern in his choice of fan and his behaviour if these accounts are true."

So yeah, he's a piece of poo poo.

EDIT: Spoiled due to possibly upsetting stuff involving a sex predator and an underaged fan.

Polaron fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 9, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Polaron posted:

More on Ryan Haywood, another accuser has spoken up: "She says she lost her virginity to him when she was underage, and he took the condom off half way through without her consent. Includes chatlogs and photos of him in a hotel room. The birthdate on her IG (if accurate) confirms she was 17 when she alleges they had sex. Says he never asked her age before sex even though he knew she was very young, and when she told him afterwards that she was underage, he seemed unbothered. Also says that she has spoken to other fans with very similar stories to hers; all teenagers, all starstruck Ryan fans, mostly virgins, all with mental health issues and insecurities that Ryan was aware of and preyed on, suggesting a pattern in his choice of fan and his behaviour if these accounts are true."

Can you give the link to where she said this, please?

Mod edit: spoilered graphic content in quoted post

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 10, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

The loving gross Smash Bros elite players were harassing teen female fans and getting nudes and poo poo sent to them. It's like becoming famous/powerful just unlocks a part of many people's brain where a major ambition is finding and sexually abusing vulnerable people.

Juicy Juice
Nov 12, 2011

Where we're going, we don't need roads...

VostokProgram posted:

Can you give the link to where she said this, please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Sq_kPERZI
The video includes screenshots of Instagram DMs and some photos of him in her hotel room (nothing NSFW, but still pretty :barf:).

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Polaron posted:

That's quite useful info to have, but it's also kind of a graphic description, so it'd probably be good if you add a content warning and maybe put the quote in spoiler tags. Not a criticism, just a suggestion.

Mod edit: spoilered graphic content in quoted post

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 10, 2020

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
You're totally right and I've done so.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Xarn posted:

Like, how do you do any part of that and think that is an ok thing to do?

It reads like something you'd find on onlyfans or other similar subscription services.

I've never clicked on an Achievement Hunter video in my life so I'm pretty insulated from this, but... yikes. This is the level of content they were producing, on YouTube, as a huge channel?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

didnt two of the achievement hunter guys talk about their 'fun game' where they follow women around in their car stalking them

quote:

Gavin and Geoff were talking about how (it may be a joke, I have no idea how serious they were) they played a game called "Connect the Hots" where if they were driving somewhere and one of them called out a hot person, Geoff would follow them in a car at a slow pace until they found another hot person and would switch to them. A lot of people saw it as offensive and condoning stalking, whilst others didn't make much a big deal out of it.

'Alright, so Gavin and I have a rule, It doesnt work as well in our current house as it did in the old one, where if we’re driving to work, and we see a hot chick, we have to follow her, a at a very slow and deliberate and creepy pace'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually wiat

quote:

Geoff: Alright, so Gavin and I have a rule, It doesnt work as well in our current house as it did in the old one, where if we’re driving to work, and we see a hot chick, we have to follow her, a at a very slow and deliberate and creepy pace

Ryan: huh

Geoff: Uh, until, uh, we see another hot girl. Or if we see another hot girl then we have to switch and follow that girl. And we keep this going until we run out of hot girls. Now since Gavin and I live pretty close to the college, sometimes we can get distracted a good, I dunno Gavin, would you say like 20 minutes?

Gavin: Yeah, 25 minutes I think was the record

Geoff: Yeah

Gavin: Um..and sometimes, you know, theres false alarms

Geoff: Theres a lot of false alarms

*Ryan laughs*

Gavin: So uh, we’ll make a, we’ll go at an intersection, say work is to the left and we, we go right to see if the girls hot. We’ve done a few back turns before

Geoff: Yeah there, Gavin likes to bring up the time I thought a dude was a chick and I was checkin them out

Gavin: Yeah, that was a time as well. There was a time where Geoff didnt believe me- we saw a woman walking away and uh, Geoff said ‘no, thats an old Asian lady with a bag’, and it turned out to be an actual hottie, so I bet you’re glad we took the 5 minutes out of our day to go check that one out Geoff.

Geoff: Yeah that was worth it

Gavin: it was pretty good

Geoff: yeah, for sure. Connect the Hots. Its probably the best game we’ve ever made. Thats why we sometimes get to work at like 8, and sometimes we get to work at 11. Its like it always depends on how many people are jogging.

quote:

Geoff: pretty loving funny Ryan. I highly recommend that everyone play Connect the Hots though. Its a good way to start your day off right. And there, one thing I like to do , if if Gavins like 'oh oh oh its a hot! Its a hot!’ I like to drive up really close up to 'em and slam on the breaks and sit there with Gavin on the passenger side, while the girl is walking and having her look at him and hes trying not to make eye contact with her. And then when she gets ahead a little bit again and then we just zip off.

Ryan: nice

Geoff: I have made Gavin look like a really creepy paedophile on more than one occasion. Not paedophile!

Ryan: Woahhh-ho.

yeah this ryan guy had a great loving cover lmao