Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

With management like that it is not super surprising the stories that come out about Roosterteeth and Achievement Hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Endorph posted:

quotes about stalking women... you know, for the laughs

what the everliving gently caress

seriously gently caress all these people, burn everything they've ever been involved with to the ground and salt the earth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I only trust people in Rooster Teeth as far as I can throw them, this whole situation just reinforced my beliefs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I found a lot of early RT content really goddamn funny but now I'm glad I don't actively watch their content anymore. I went to RTX in 2017 and at 26 I was way older than the majority of the attendees. I felt way out of place. Their audience trends younger which surprised me at the time but not on retrospect.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Sometimes people just make a public persona out of being a gross loving predator and it turns out in their private life they are a gross loving predator.

It just goes to show that it doesn't matter how horny they are on main, how much of an ally they claim to be, or if they pretend to be above it all there's no stereotypical behavior you can just look at and say "oh yeah they definitely are/aren't a sexual predator" it literally runs the gamut of every possible personality and the only thing that should be shocking is that they got away with it for so long.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Polaron posted:

More on Ryan Haywood, another accuser has spoken up: "She says she lost her virginity to him when she was underage, and he took the condom off half way through without her consent. Includes chatlogs and photos of him in a hotel room. The birthdate on her IG (if accurate) confirms she was 17 when she alleges they had sex. Says he never asked her age before sex even though he knew she was very young, and when she told him afterwards that she was underage, he seemed unbothered. Also says that she has spoken to other fans with very similar stories to hers; all teenagers, all starstruck Ryan fans, mostly virgins, all with mental health issues and insecurities that Ryan was aware of and preyed on, suggesting a pattern in his choice of fan and his behaviour if these accounts are true."

So yeah, he's a piece of poo poo.

EDIT: Spoiled due to possibly upsetting stuff involving a sex predator and an underaged fan.

jesus, what a loving piece of poo poo. i just don't get how you can do that poo poo to people.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Some people are just so laser focused on their own wants and needs that they don’t have any empathy for others. I knew a guy in my old law firm who was proud of having got his gf pregnant and then pressured her into an abortion; when telling the story he was sincerely outraged that she had dared to tell him at first that she wanted to keep the baby.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

Some people are just so laser focused on their own wants and needs that they don’t have any empathy for others. I knew a guy in my old law firm who was proud of having got his gf pregnant and then pressured her into an abortion; when telling the story he was sincerely outraged that she had dared to tell him at first that she wanted to keep the baby.

good point, i guess i just will never understand it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Reading some of these stories reminds of of how famous athletes will have their security guys screen women who throw themselves at them, explicitly to avoid this sort of thing, among others, and even then there are still a mountain of creeps to sift through.

Also some rappers - I saw a show once with an obscure act that involves inviting fans on stage to dance with them and they required the women to show ID before they were allowed up.

Groupies have been a thing forever and likely will be. Famous men being disciplined and having a baseline of ethics (dont gently caress underage women!) is not too much a thing to ask.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Yeah the RT thing is strongly reminding me of the girls who would follow around Led Zeppelin and the like. They'd flatter their maturity and treat them like adults. Classic grooming poo poo.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Famethrowa posted:

Yeah the RT thing is strongly reminding me of the girls who would follow around Led Zeppelin and the like. They'd flatter their maturity and treat them like adults. Classic grooming poo poo.

And people still blame the kids decades later :(

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

there's a non-zero chance that alot of the musicians we value back in the day were big groomers, like Bowie or Jackson

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bowie was a confirmed groomer. Though it all came out years ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

hi liter posted:

Reading some of these stories reminds of of how famous athletes will have their security guys screen women who throw themselves at them, explicitly to avoid this sort of thing, among others, and even then there are still a mountain of creeps to sift through.

Also some rappers - I saw a show once with an obscure act that involves inviting fans on stage to dance with them and they required the women to show ID before they were allowed up.

Groupies have been a thing forever and likely will be. Famous men being disciplined and having a baseline of ethics (dont gently caress underage women!) is not too much a thing to ask.

In professional sports leagues, rookies generally have to take a weekend professionalization seminar where they receive instruction on how to behave responsibly, especially when interacting with fans.

Like yeah it's ultimately cya liability as the motive and even without it individuals should be responsible enough not to abuse or exploit their fans, but game people, with a lot of them coming up to fame as teenagers, don't even have someone telling them "don't do this creepy poo poo"

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

there's a non-zero chance that alot of the musicians we value back in the day were big groomers, like Bowie or Jackson

Iggy Pop literally wrote a song about how he was loving Sable Starr, Alice Cooper, all of Led Zepplin, and Bowie of course. And of course the ones we don't care about like Ted Nugent, who couldn't marry his underage girl, so he got himself declared her guardian. There was literally a magazine for teenage girls that chronicled the exploits of underage groupies. The entire 70's rock scene was full of dudes grooming young women.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Thomamelas posted:

Iggy Pop literally wrote a song about how he was loving Sable Starr, Alice Cooper, all of Led Zepplin, and Bowie of course.

He hosed all of them? I can understand Bowie, cant imagine Page and Plant being down for that.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I was under the impression the girl who said she lost her virginity to Bowie was debunked by Zeppelin's biographer pointing out she was already dating a member of the band when she claimed the event took place.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

agreed thahts a foolproof debunking, and of the single example too. looks like hes in the clear to me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Fatty posted:

He hosed all of them? I can understand Bowie, cant imagine Page and Plant being down for that.

Page and Plant were two of the worst. Page had Lori Maddox, a 14 year old, kidnapped by Zep's manager so they could have sex with her.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

actually wiat

yeah this ryan guy had a great loving cover lmao

That reminds me of this classic Dollop.

https://allthingscomedy.com/podcasts/194---the-girl-watchers

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

rodbeard posted:

I was under the impression the girl who said she lost her virginity to Bowie was debunked by Zeppelin's biographer pointing out she was already dating a member of the band when she claimed the event took place.

Bowie's a tricky case because IIRC, he basically said, "I have no idea what I was doing at that time because of all the coke, but I definitely wasn't making good decisions, so you should probably believe stories about me." Meanwhile, she's said it happened several ways, all of which are contradicted by her other stories, by other people or by evidence. Which doesn't mean it didn't happen another way, to her or to anyone else!

But it's hard for me to put him on the level of Nugent and Page and the like. Page, as Famethrowa noted, is one of the contradictions, based on her being almost-openly Page's "girlfriend" since age 14, before she claims to have met Bowie and through the time her stories cover. There are reams of evidence, photos and all, of Page grooming and abusing her during that period, while her stories about Bowie are the only things we have to go on. I wouldn't fault anyone for believing her or assuming her stories contain enough truth to condemn him. But personally, I don't think there's enough out there to condemn him the way we should and do condemn the others, unless he was way, way better than his peers at hiding who he was loving (and he was probably worse, tbh).

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm fine with Lori Mattox being an exception to believe women because she wasn't accusing Bowie of rape she was bragging about sleeping with him.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That whole kind of thing seemed to be a lot more common in the music business in the 60s and 70s than it is now. Being not a card-carrying boomer I don't know whether or not this is actually the case but I suspect people checking ID and not believing teenagers going "yeah I'm 18 I just look young" at clubs and poo poo was absolutely rampant then.

It's still incredibly gross and obviously inexcusable, but the environment was probably a lot more enabling of it 50+ years ago.

I guess if we want to cadaver-crucify Bowie we need to start weighing it against good stuff he did but I think we would want to move that to a thread that isn't about sexual abusers in the game industry so we can keep this one about sexual abusers in the game industry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

That whole kind of thing seemed to be a lot more common in the music business in the 60s and 70s than it is now. Being not a card-carrying boomer I don't know whether or not this is actually the case but I suspect people checking ID and not believing teenagers going "yeah I'm 18 I just look young" at clubs and poo poo was absolutely rampant then.

It's still incredibly gross and obviously inexcusable, but the environment was probably a lot more enabling of it 50+ years ago.

I guess if we want to cadaver-crucify Bowie we need to start weighing it against good stuff he did but I think we would want to move that to a thread that isn't about sexual abusers in the game industry so we can keep this one about sexual abusers in the game industry.

This applies to this thread too so I will say it here:

You don't 'weigh the good' against sexual abuse. Doing good things doesn't earn you 1 free rape with redemption

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I guess if we want to cadaver-crucify Bowie we need to start weighing it against good stuff he did
lmao

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Alright, fair, david bowie is a rapist and so are hundreds of other people in 70s music and they are all bad people and this is still the thread about rapists in the games industry in 2020 and how they are bad people

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

EDIT: nm this was not a productive addition to the conversation.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 11, 2020

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

#MeToo hits gaming: nm this was not a productive addition to the conversation

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

This is the article people are so ready to crucify David Bowie's corpse over. A fluff piece where a middle aged woman humble brags about how many men molested her as a child.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

rodbeard posted:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-lost-my-virginity-to-david-bowie

This is the article people are so ready to crucify David Bowie's corpse over. A fluff piece where a middle aged woman humble brags about how many men molested her as a child.

I don't know the specifics of this case, but I feel like a #metoo thread is not the place to wag your finger at people to defend the reputation of a credibly accused man.

Saying you think this is not a credible accusation is fine (within reason; a lot of gross stuff is covered under the veil of just asking questions) but talking about crucifying his corpse feels like the exact same language a lot of people use to dismiss claims in general--a greater worry for the honor of the man accused than for his misconduct

I'd also like to ask the thread to try to move back over to games-related #metoo. A bit of derail is fine but I think this one has probably played its course and I suspect it will not benefit from additional posting.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

egg tats posted:

He's a deeply horny, cis (as far as I know), straight (probably) dude, those are already yellow flags.

I love these forums lol.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Edit: Skipped over Cheetahs post.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 11, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Stories continue to come out about Ryan Haywood. It’s now clear that he was not simply waiting for opportunities to be a predator to come up on their own. He was actively weeking out vulnerable girls and young women to exploit.

TW: Grooming, Emotional Abuse, Gaslighting, Blackmail
https://twitter.com/frizzical/status/1315640609751801856

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he’s still contacting victims and trying to manipulate them into not speaking up. The jig’s up, rear end in a top hat! Just go away!!!!!!! Christ.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Ariong posted:

Stories continue to come out about Ryan Haywood. It’s now clear that he was not simply waiting for opportunities to be a predator to come up on their own. He was actively weeking out vulnerable girls and young women to exploit.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he’s still contacting victims and trying to manipulate them into not speaking up. The jig’s up, rear end in a top hat! Just go away!!!!!!! Christ.

Really didn't imagine such an extensive pattern of horrific behavior coming out even a few days after the initial reveals. It's pretty incredible that he managed to keep this under wraps for years, even given most of his victims were both vulnerable and looked up to him and so easier to keep quiet than most. Really terrible.

Adam Kovic is the luckiest rear end in a top hat around, having this piece of poo poo drawing all attention off him at this point. Christ.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Insurrectionist posted:

Adam Kovic is the luckiest rear end in a top hat around, having this piece of poo poo drawing all attention off him at this point. Christ.

I'm not really sure about that, to be honest. There was a Kotaku article the other week about the two, and it kept associating and jumbling up the two stories of Ryan and Adam -- who as far as I know, has done a bad thing, but not nearly as bad a thing as Ryan.

Every person at RT has released a statement via tweet by now, and they're all the same kind of "I'm mad and betrayed and 'this situation' is just awful", almost always without making it clear who in particular they're talking about or what (the guy who was, for years, preying on teenage fangirls for sex -- or the guy who had lewd personal content leaked and likely was cheating on his wife [either emotionally or physically]).

I'm still waiting to see if anything more comes out of the Adam story. As far as I can tell, the only thing that has come out is that he had very lewd photos and videos released, mostly of himself but with a few involving his wife. A bit of it seemed to be in the office, but those were the least lewd of the bunch (I've only gotten second hand info, I'm not going to search out his leaked pictures). He did enough to count as breaking the code of conduct and being ejected from the company, and very likely has betrayed the confidence of his wife. It seems like he's been seen in an even worse light from having a sex scandal at the same time as Ryan was.

But who knows, I'm just so curious to what he did that was so bad that Lawrence quoted Goldfinger lyrics about him like a 13 year old, and Rahul came out that he "hated the guy for years and it's for completely different juicy reasons, but I can't say what it was, but it's so juicy and he's such a piece of poo poo".

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

piratepilates posted:

Every person at RT has released a statement via tweet by now, and they're all the same kind of "I'm mad and betrayed and 'this situation' is just awful", almost always without making it clear who in particular they're talking about or what (the guy who was, for years, preying on teenage fangirls for sex -- or the guy who had lewd personal content leaked and likely was cheating on his wife [either emotionally or physically]).

I mean, yeah, but it's pretty obvious that they're talking about Ryan, especially the ones from the Achievement Hunter/Let's Play side of things. He worked there for over a decade and was a huge part of the organization.

They're up to like 16 accusers for him at this point, incidentally. At least a couple of them were underage and it's become clear that the Twitch donation stream that was supposedly going to his kids' college funds was actually being used to fly the girls around and put them up in hotels.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Polaron posted:

I mean, yeah, but it's pretty obvious that they're talking about Ryan, especially the ones from the Achievement Hunter/Let's Play side of things. He worked there for over a decade and was a huge part of the organization.

They're up to like 16 accusers for him at this point, incidentally. At least a couple of them were underage and it's become clear that the Twitch donation stream that was supposedly going to his kids' college funds was actually being used to fly the girls around and put them up in hotels.

So many accusers that there's an entire subreddit dedicated to stories of his preying on teenaged fans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RyanHaywood/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ariong posted:

that shits like criminally punishable right?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

piratepilates posted:

So many accusers that there's an entire subreddit dedicated to stories of his preying on teenaged fans.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RyanHaywood/

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/j5lso8/what_is_going_on_with_rooster_teeth_members_adam/g7vijq9

There is a lot here, but update 14 in part 2 sure is something. A victim said he stayed an extra night after a live event in LA, and he his excuse about why he "missed his flight" was turned into an animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBlCPygCCE

And this other video is especially sad when you realize it happened often enough that coworkers noticed the pattern, and that he wasn't joking about his kids: "Ryan tries every chance he has to stay everywhere an extra day. 'I could stay in a hotel by myself or deal with two insane children all day long? I'll take the hotel room.'"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VfrtYXsrvA&t=3795s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that shits like criminally punishable right?
theoretically, yes

lol if you think anyone hes victimized has the money for a court case or the desire to expose themselves to millions of internet weirdos tho