Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What was the deal with the earlier talk about ProJared? Last I heard everyone was mocking him for cheating on ElfWife, and kicking him for soliciting teen nudes. Did he do/not do something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

don't you need platinum to ignore someone?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

don't you need platinum to ignore someone?

no

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Bug Squash posted:

What was the deal with the earlier talk about ProJared? Last I heard everyone was mocking him for cheating on ElfWife, and kicking him for soliciting teen nudes. Did he do/not do something else?

He put out a video talking about how everyone was lying about him, and actually everyone was over 18, so it was fine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, that dude has always been mega sketch. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Be Depressive posted:

Don’t you think between this and the ProJared debacle (and the original Quinn post) we have enough examples that publicly calling out someone to millions of previously disinterested netizens isn’t a super good idea?

They’ve had this phenomenon in China for a really long time - they call it “human flesh search engine” because everyone lives near each other and everyone is online. If someone for example discovers his wife is having an affair with a college student she met on League of Legends, he might post the guy’s account details online and other people will find out who he is and harass him in real life. This tool has also been used to persecute people who abuse animals, or government officials behaving badly, men having affairs, etc.

It’s also been used in a lot of cases to harass perfectly innocent people, persecute homosexuals, humiliate women. You don’t need much more than a photo or account name to find out who someone is. Internet dog piling is something people enjoy doing in every culture.

It’s important to believe women. It’s also important for words like “abuse” and “abuser” to have clear definitions. It’s also important to not feed the internet beast that shits on people, left and right, just because making GBS threads on people is fun to do.

Sometimes going to the larger public and hoping they will amplify your words is the only solution. "go to the police" is rarely an option unless you have bruises on your face then and there, and "go to a friendly journalist" isn't an option for a lot of people, especially given the number of women who have come forward in the last week or so. You're right that the internet tends to amplify their feelings and go on the attack but you have to remember that going public isn't just to let people know about past actions, it's to stop future abuse from happening as well. Abusers tend to be abusers in more situations than just the one, and so coming forward and talking publicly is a good way to prevent future abuse that might have otherwise been hidden for the same reason their past abuse was hidden.

Also, while there are some people in here who are posting obviously bad-faith arguments against this, it should be remembered that a lot of men are concerned more about "being falsely accused of abuse" than the actual abuse itself because they have never been the target of that negative attention, and because they are men, are much less likely to in their lives. There's been a concerted push by malevolent forces to plant that seed in the head of lots of men on the internet so that when situations like this arrive, they are skeptical of accusers because they don't see themselves as a potential victim of abuse. In reality, these false accusations are incredibly uncommon, and while they should absolutely be taken seriously, the threat of them has been used as a cudgel to keep victims of abuse silent, which propagates a culture where abuse is common. It's the same sort of concern trolling that happens in the larger conversation about sexual assault. Certain groups of people are very concerned about false rape accusations, to the point where they believe that coming forward about it in this way is bad, despite the fact that so many rapes go unreported, under-investigated, and unpunished, and their doing so provides cover for rapists to continue to do what they do.

edit: like if i'm being perfectly honest, my answer to the question "is this worth potentially innocent people being harassed on the internet?" is "yes," because right now the cost is potentially thousands of women across all of society (not just in games) being forced to keep quiet about what happened to them because no one will take them seriously, which allows abusers to keep abusing. Everything has a cost-benefit analysis to be done, there is no perfect system, but creating a more open world where abuse is openly talked about and abusers are punished like they should be is a much larger good than having a world where some innocent people don't lose their jobs/get yelled at on Twitter, because the latter, while still harmful, is much less common.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 1, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

again, the purpose of these tweets are not "so let's get him fired and destroy him and drive him to suicide", it's "i need to warn other women to be careful around this person if they work in the same environment, to keep them safe"

it's not vigilante justice or holding an public opinion trial, it's just informing colleagues and showing solidarity to the other people who have spoken up (the jeremy soule story was what started all this), and trying to do better than just pass info through whisper networks

this happens all the time during conventions and expos, when someone finds out their drink was spiked and tweets about it so that other women at the con/expo know to be careful or get out of a potentially dangerous situation. recently at EVO, someone warned that their drink had a roofie in it. and E3 after-parties have been notorious for sexual harassment and groping. keeping people informed keeps them safe

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 1, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, do people seriously think ProJared has been exonerated? He was sending girls on Discord his dick. You can find the pics if you look.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

He put out a new video after the heat died down and it provides enough of a smokescreen for "those types" to talk about how all women are lying liars that lie and most of the anger has moved onto other things so there hasn't been as much kickback. Also it looks like Heidi was at a con the day he released the video.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 1, 2019

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Hub Cat posted:

He put out a new video after the heat died down and it provides enough of a smokescreen for "those types" to talk about how all women are lying liars that lie and most of the anger has moved onto other things so there hasn't been as much kickback. Also it looks like Heidi was at a con the day he released the video.

Im confused. What did ProJered do? Besides publicly divorce his wife?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

She Bangs the Drums posted:

He cheated on her, and is accused of domestic violence, and also had a tumblr account for sharing nudes of himself with fans.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Solicit nudes from his fandom.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

He cheated on her, and also had a tumblr account for sharing nudes of himself with fans.

So what? People cheat on people every day. as for the nudes thing as long as they are consenting adults, again so what?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So what? People cheat on people every day. as for the nudes thing as long as they are consenting adults, again so what?

Abusing the parasocial relationship that your fans form with you to solicit nudes is a pretty scummy thing to do. Even assuming they were all adults.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fair question! Two people have come forward saying they were minors at the time the nudes were shared. Regardless of this, it's still a super sketchy and weird thing to do.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They weren't adults dude.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't have all the details on hand right now, but some of them weren't consenting adults, if I recall right.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Hub Cat posted:

They weren't adults dude.

Really? Then why isn't he is jail?
He isnt a member of the Who. Hes a loving Youtuber.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

Abusing the parasocial relationship that your fans form with you to solicit nudes is a pretty scummy thing to do. Even assuming they were all adults.

seriously dude? They have words for people like that. They are called groupies. People have been loving fans as long as there have been fans.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Really? Then why isn't he is jail?
He isnt a member of the Who. Hes a loving Youtuber.

You do realize that among youth today, youtubers are far more well known than the Who, right?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

seriously dude? They have words for people like that. They are called groupies. People have been loving fans as long as there have been fans.

Yes and it's disgusting and predatory.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

And its always resulted in a poo poo show for the celebrities that do this. Its never once been a good idea.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Cynic Jester posted:

You do realize that among youth today, youtubers are far more well known than the Who, right?

You are missing the Pete Townshend reference.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you've ever seen the book/movie The Big Short (it's about how the banking industry, specifically the housing loan market, caused the huge recession in 2008), there's a part where all of the big banks are losing money by the billions on defaulted loans. The people with whom they've made the deals to get paid per default are all asking for their money, but the banks keep reporting that despite all these defaults, the cost of buying these deals has actually gone up. The banks were flat-out lying to try and keep the cost of investing in housing high to recoup any losses, with the goal of unloading all of these literally worthless investments under the guise that everything was fine. Now, there were several groups who knew what was going on, and they started to panic, knowing that the economy was about to collapse. One investing firm (Cornwall) tried to take the story to the press. The journalist they talked to basically told them that there was no way he was going to publish an article about how the banks are lying - if there was any chance that the info is bad, he's now out of a job forever. Even if the info wasn't wrong, he's essentially publishing insider information against the industry that he's working in, and he's going to lose all of his contacts in the industry who are all playing inside ball. The crash happens and then the bailout, and Steve Eisman realizes that the banks knew they'd get a bailout from the government. Cornwall, upset that they were unable to warn people through the media about the collapse, tried to follow-up and get justice. Remember, only a few low-level people got arrested, and there was no breakup of the big banks. They contacted the government about their earnings, and told people "hey, don't you want to know how we knew this was coming?" and they never heard back from anyone they contacted. They tried to go to lawfirms and sue the rating agencies who enabled the sale of these subprime loans under false pretenses, and every lawfirm told them to get out.

If that's the way that the institutions that we have to enforce justice react to the collapse of the world economy, imagine how completely indifferent those same people are going to be if you were a woman telling them a coworker took out his balls in front of you

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

And its always resulted in a poo poo show for the celebrities that do this. Its never once been a good idea.

Ill tell that to Pewdiepie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm afraid to ask for further details. All I know about him is that he self identifies as a nazi.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Using a position of power over your fanbase to get sexual favors from them is gross as gently caress

The fact that it's been going on forever doesn't actually make it okay?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

I said come in! posted:

I'm afraid to ask for further details. All I know about him is that he self identifies as a nazi.

Ironic Nazi. Or was it moronic? One of the two.,

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Blockhouse posted:

Using a position of power over your fanbase to get sexual favors from them is gross as gently caress

The fact that it's been going on forever doesn't actually make it okay?

You've never been famous or rich have you?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Funny I just read a story about this. Rolling Stone (iirc) interviewed the drummer from KISS. They asked him if he had any sex with young groupies and he said "I'm not a babysitter or a predator"

Celebs having sex with fans is incredibly creepy if you give it even a modicum actual unpacking.

Like anyone who has looked into groupie culture of the 70s/80s and even now (yes there used to be an entire groupie forum but iirc it was mostly dedicated to rappers and Jared Leto) knows how hosed up and predatory it was.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

Ironic Nazi. Or was it moronic? One of the two.,

At this point no ones going to be able to convince me that he isn't straight up a card carrying Nazi. There are too many instances of playing off being an ironic one in his videos to believe otherwise.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

There's a reason most celebrities date other celebrities.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Koalas March posted:

Funny I just read a story about this. Rolling Stone (iirc) interviewed the drummer from KISS. They asked him if he had any sex with young groupies and he said "I'm not a babysitter or a predator"

Celebs having sex with fans is incredibly creepy if you give it even a modicum actual unpacking.

Like anyone who has looked into groupie culture of the 70s/80s and even now (yes there used to be an entire groupie forum but iirc it was mostly dedicated to rappers and Jared Leto) knows how hosed up and predatory it was.

So according to your logic, celebs are only allowed to have sex with either other celebs or people who hate their art?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tell it to Katie Holmes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont understand the relevance?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So according to your logic, celebs are only allowed to have sex with either other celebs or people who hate their art?

The problem is not necessarily when celebrities date fans, it's when celebrities *explicitly seek out* fans for sexual contact because they know they can abuse the power imbalance between them.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

If you can't tell the difference between a groupie, celeb and a regular person (either in or outside the entertainment industry) idk what to tell you except you are incredibly weird and hosed up

Like this is so dumb and disingenuous you have to be trolling at this point or you just really want to protect creepy men for no reason

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yes, the person who said that it's bad for celebrities to have sex with thier fans is obviously saying that celebrities are not allowed to have sex with anyone who knows of them. What a stellar good-faith reading of the argument.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

The problem is not necessarily when celebrities date fans, it's when celebrities *explicitly seek out* fans for sexual contact because they know they can abuse the power imbalance between them.

And you think ProJared did this with his fans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

And you think ProJared did this with his fans?

I don't know much about the ProJared situation.