Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Sweeney open to chat with a gamergater:
https://twitter.com/sblomkamp/status/1182735102024904704

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1182741143513194503

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Terminally Bored posted:

Sweeney open to chat with a gamergater:

ZZTroubling

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's like Tim Sweeney is a libertarian piece of poo poo or something.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

vague, barely-visible silver lining

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1182741621970001920

though i imagine what actually happens is a handler grabs thequartering and says "talk about the epic store only" so it just doesn't come up and it just ends up making him look like a real journalist and does in fact tacitly endorse his bullshit

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hey he did the decent thing

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1182747079946493952

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

what a fun diversion for a friday afternoon. well, time to die

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Patware posted:

what a fun diversion for a friday afternoon. well, time to die

TIL that i’m alone in googlng people that are described to me as ‘influencers’ to nail down the definition a little further than ‘trust fund’.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oog.

https://twitter.com/JohnDoe78359022/status/1181927926771650562

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean hasn’t that been a known thing for a long time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

iCarly more like iCaramba

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Anora posted:

The Warframe folks at DE seem pretty legit, they actually removed loot boxes after someone spent like $400 on one. They're running a F2P in which you can play totally free. Like they are giving away cosmetics in their new events, and the pay currency can be given away to other players in trades.

They're a mixed bag. Yes, they removed lootboxes, but also they have some horribly scummy "coupons" as a daily log-in bonus that really push you to spend money on them (because they expire in a day), and it also feels (though I have no proof of this) like they deliberately start giving you more of the "engagement" log-in rewards (like a credit booster) when you haven't logged in as much.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're two day coupons and that currency is totally player tradable anyway

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're two day coupons and that currency is totally player tradable anyway

Some of them are two-day, some of them are one-day, and they're still pretty bad.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Being the least bad aggressive F2P monetization scheme isn't the resounding endorsement people think it is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pylons posted:

Some of them are two-day, some of them are one-day, and they're still pretty bad.

If you say so.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pylons posted:

They're a mixed bag. Yes, they removed lootboxes, but also they have some horribly scummy "coupons" as a daily log-in bonus that really push you to spend money on them (because they expire in a day), and it also feels (though I have no proof of this) like they deliberately start giving you more of the "engagement" log-in rewards (like a credit booster) when you haven't logged in as much.

They absolutely do.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They absolutely do.

I (and my friends) have definitely experienced it but that's anecdotal, so I didn't want to say definitively.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Warframe is relatively decent for F2P but still has some pretty scummy practices. I don't think any of that relates to sexual abuse though!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i guess he knows the feds on his rear end finally. i am surprised that digusting fucker hasn't been imprisoned yet.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/acvalens/status/1189243795730259970

the inclusion of nick robinson seems tangential at best, but this is what i mean when there's really no accountability for these assholes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

the inclusion of nick robinson seems tangential at best, but this is what i mean when there's really no accountability for these assholes

I really have no idea what that is even about.

Like he didn't make that game as far as I can tell... he just did a stream of it?

Like ok?

Am I missing an important part here?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I really have no idea what that is even about.

Like he didn't make that game as far as I can tell... he just did a stream of it?

Like ok?

Am I missing an important part here?

matt conn is the producer for the new toejam and earl game. it's his new gig after being forced out at GaymerX and Midboss for sexual harassment.

nick robinson just appeared on a stream for it as far as I can tell? including him seems like a stretch to me.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Matt Conn known poo poo is a producer on the game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

matt conn is the producer for the new toejam and earl game. it's his new gig after being forced out at GaymerX and Midboss for sexual harassment.

nick robinson just appeared on a stream for it as far as I can tell? including him seems like a stretch to me.

A stretch isn't even the right word for it. More like a huge leap.

Why didn't this twitter person just call out Matt and link that story? It makes it seem like they are more interested in this Nick dude when he isn't really what the tweet should be about.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

A stretch isn't even the right word for it. More like a huge leap.

Why didn't this twitter person just call out Matt and link that story? It makes it seem like they are more interested in this Nick dude when he isn't really what the tweet should be about.

that twitter person wrote the article calling out matt.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They are saying Matt Conn's Toejam and Earl is extra bad because they invited known bad dude Nick Robinson on their stream.

Nick being on a stream for the game may be more well known in twitter circles/their audience than anything else about the game.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 29, 2019

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah that tweet focuses on Nick, when Matt's the bigger problem if you're not aware.

Missing the forest Matt for the trees Nick

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

well as long as you play at being WOKE.tm for long enough and have enough friends in high places or think its better to have you pissing out of the tent than in. than alot of these assholes will always survive. thats why Nick and matt have survived.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some of the ambiguous comments about Japanese indie publisher guy Ben Judd have been given more context, as well as his company Dangen Entertainment: https://medium.com/@dangenwarning/dangen-entertainment-warning-f1e8b5a1104a

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jesus, what a poo poo show

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

What was this?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Discendo Vox posted:

What was this?

Google still had it cached, looks like Dan Schneider poo poo.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 30, 2019

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I feel like 10m isn't that much, but I guess it's something?

https://kotaku.com/riot-settles-lawsuit-will-pay-every-female-employee-si-1840156366

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Google still had it cached, looks like Dan Schneider poo poo.

how the gently caress was that loving monster not burned earlier? like the dude looked like a steriotypical horror movie stalker molester and acted like one too.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how the gently caress was that loving monster not burned earlier? like the dude looked like a steriotypical horror movie stalker molester and acted like one too.

Apparently being the fifth best part of Head of the Class keeps a bunch of doors open

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Some of the ambiguous comments about Japanese indie publisher guy Ben Judd have been given more context, as well as his company Dangen Entertainment: https://medium.com/@dangenwarning/dangen-entertainment-warning-f1e8b5a1104a

The post is taken down by Medium and is "under investigation". Meanwhile someone archived it.

https://twitter.com/simplyundrea/status/1201656579742846976?s=20

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pylons posted:

Yeah Warframe is still a F2P game; at this point I think it's pretty clear that "non-predatory F2P" is a contradiction in terms. They just aren't (as?) guilty of exploiting the urge to gamble that most F2P economies lean on hard. Their business model is still built on exploiting whales and using marginally less horrible psychological marketing tricks like FOMO.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Apparently it comes out to roughly $10k per employee so it’s not going to do much.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm not sure how best to describe Warframe's pay-to-win model, yes you can pay directly for power, but all the paid options are horrifically inefficient values, and feel much more like trap options for nailing people with very poor self control.

Like in a comparison between a veteran player with high game knowledge and little RMT cash, and a novice player with little game knowledge and alot of RMT cash, the former will completely trounce the latter at all levels of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Honestly, a game being less/non-P2W is kind of meaningless now, not dissimilar to how even cosmetic-only microtransaction is still trash, just perhaps a little bit less trash than P2W. poo poo's exploitative and when this is your preferred form of entertainment, it loving sucks to be exploited for even more of your hard-earned cash.