Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wokely waiting for a sale before giving ubisoft my money this time around.

You might as well give them money now at this point, with the Ironically named Ubisoft Forward's sale still going.

As if your 15 dollars goes straight into the Higher up Rape Abuse fund. If anything, don't buy it because a majority of their games are the exact goddamn same, I think maybe Anno is probably the least different looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dias posted:

I'm reminded of the weird period in the speedrunning thread where people where preemptively apologizing for sharing content because what if this guy turns out to be a shithead? What if I didn't know this guy was a shithead and shared his content?

I reflexively check to see if people have done shady poo poo before sharing stuff from someone I'm unfamiliar with nowadays. On some level it's stressful just to know that so many people have done so much harm. It makes it hard to trust public figures. And admittedly part of it is that I don't want a scolding from others if I didn't perform due diligence.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
please help i can't stop giving my money to pedophiles and rapists

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1290334120929894404
Tommy François out at Ubisoft no details so probably resigned.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 3, 2020

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

I’m not sure that photo really works since they once again let someone quit rather than firing them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hub Cat posted:

well, hopefully more rear end in a top hat leave with him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've historically had a practice of 100%ing Ubisoft games; their open world products, though poo poo, were engaging to understand the design and production process. They're not getting another cent from me.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

Good riddance. A resignation is too good.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 6, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

drat. I'm sorry I didn't save the link. I saw an article that said "no, he was totally booted out, but French law doesn't let you say that. He left without a severance payment."

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

This Gamasutra article? Which also says one or more of the other departing execs may have been fired.

Gamasutra posted:

They explained Francois was terminated with cause, and wasn't handed a financial settlement. He had also been suspended without pay since the beginning of July.

Although the outgoing exec will retain whatever Ubisoft shares he'd already acquired, he won't be able to make future acquisitions.

We're told that French laws prevent Ubisoft from labeling some of the recent high-level departures, which includes the "resignation" of Francois' fellow editorial vice president Maxime Beland, as dismissals.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 6, 2020

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of "let's not give money to serial abusers":

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/eu-awards-grant-to-weather-factory-abuse-allegations-alexis-kennedy-report

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

This Gamasutra article? Which also says one or more of the other departing execs may have been fired.

doesnt surprise me. france is kinda awful when it comes to harassment stuff. least they kicked his rear end and hopefully others out.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Since he's apparently trying to wipe things in the wake of the Braid remaster announcement, a fun reminder about mr. Jon Blow

https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/1291490654938259456
https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/942651723998420993

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I knew there was something about Jonathan Blow was super gross and bad, but I couldn't remember what, its been years since I have thought about him or he has been in the public eye.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

IIRC I think he also said coronavirus was a hoax or something along those lines?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He also pissed in jugs and posted pictures the piss jugs during the witnesses development. Even though he was working from home. Dude has issues.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

You see, while the men were out hunting wild computer code and taking down dangerous compiling errors, the women were picking pink berries, and thus men are programmers and women wear lipstick. It's just evolution.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

END ME SCOOB posted:

Since he's apparently trying to wipe things in the wake of the Braid remaster announcement, a fun reminder about mr. Jon Blow

it turns out he was the monster the princess was running from all along

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This is a complete aside, but Phil Fish just kind of exited games completely right?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Phone posted:

This is a complete aside, but Phil Fish just kind of exited games completely right?

As far as I know he straight up never recanted on things after "gently caress you, Fez 2 canceled" - took the ball, went home, never made a parting shot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

He also pissed in jugs and posted pictures the piss jugs during the witnesses development. Even though he was working from home. Dude has issues.

You'd think if you're going to do that, might as well just set up shop in the bathroom.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Not that I approve of his opinions, but those jars were just props for the post game video that he posted to troll people afaik.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

... and nothing of value was lost. Fez was amusing and all but I'd be pressed to think anyone really wanted a sequel.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

my brain evolved to write if and statements and make overwrought nuclear war analogies sorry if u cant accept fact and logic leftists

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

my brain evolved to write if and statements and make overwrought nuclear war analogies sorry if u cant accept fact and logic leftists

the nuclear war analogy is actually a double analogy for the girl i had a crush on in high school

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Endorph posted:

the nuclear war analogy is actually a double analogy for the girl i had a crush on in high school

The one-hour wait time to finish that one line puzzle in The Witness is actually just a metaphor for edging

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Jonathan Blow is on point and insightful when, and only when, he is speaking from beneath three nested layers of metaphor in one of his games. The rest is poo poo and should be discarded. He is pretty much the only person who's ever really convinced me to take an art versus artist approach to literally anything in games - despite a deep dislike of the man and the things he deems worthy of twitter publication, I remain convinced that his games, particularly The Witness, are shining testaments to the worth of the medium, artistically meritorious in ways unique to video games, and well designed and well built video games in the first instance, that are worth buying and playing entirely on their own terms.

I don't know what to do with this position.

I guess a factor in this is that he hasn't (yet?) to my knowledge been accused of doing the kinds of awful poo poo this thread is mostly concerned with, he just seems to tweet a lot of complete poo poo. Which I'll grant isn't harmless, but still. Lord knows if that ever changes I'll shed a single tear for my GotY 2016 before forgetting it forever but until then there's that, I guess?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

... and nothing of value was lost. Fez was amusing and all but I'd be pressed to think anyone really wanted a sequel.

That was Phil Fish. This is a different pretentious indie dev.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

i am not shocked by that. blows games always came off to me as pretentious bullshit that stretched out way to long with faux deep means and dialogue. so i am not surprised at all that he likes peterson or is a weird chud dick.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

fez was the other guy who was also a weird pretentious rear end in a top hat with lots of issues but as far as i know, isnt a bigot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he said some pretty racist things about japanese devs but it was mostly 'japanese devs dont know how to make games' so more inferred racism than upfront racism

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Dude is one of those guys that can poison the concept of "thinking critically" to a person or something like that.

Like you still had him retweeting poo poo like this as recently as a few weeks ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

he said some pretty racist things about japanese devs but it was mostly 'japanese devs dont know how to make games' so more inferred racism than upfront racism

yeah, i think i remeber that about fish. i remember a couple of more progressive critics have said some borderlin xenophobic poo poo about japan at times and not even about Abe or anything. gently caress i think even anita of femfreq did once.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Dude is one of those guys that can poison the concept of "thinking critically" to a person or something like that.

Like you still had him retweeting poo poo like this as recently as a few weeks ago.

yeah, doesnt surprise me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

RatHat posted:

That was Phil Fish. This is a different pretentious indie dev.
If I may direct your attention to a the discussion taking place two posts above the one you quoted?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fedule posted:

Jonathan Blow is on point and insightful when, and only when, he is speaking from beneath three nested layers of metaphor in one of his games. The rest is poo poo and should be discarded. He is pretty much the only person who's ever really convinced me to take an art versus artist approach to literally anything in games - despite a deep dislike of the man and the things he deems worthy of twitter publication, I remain convinced that his games, particularly The Witness, are shining testaments to the worth of the medium, artistically meritorious in ways unique to video games, and well designed and well built video games in the first instance, that are worth buying and playing entirely on their own terms.

I don't know what to do with this position.

I guess a factor in this is that he hasn't (yet?) to my knowledge been accused of doing the kinds of awful poo poo this thread is mostly concerned with, he just seems to tweet a lot of complete poo poo. Which I'll grant isn't harmless, but still. Lord knows if that ever changes I'll shed a single tear for my GotY 2016 before forgetting it forever but until then there's that, I guess?

I'm in roughly the same bucket; I hate Blow for his :biotruths: and won't be buying more of his games, and it's really frustrating Braid and the Witness represent almost everything I like about games and have had profound, positive effects on the whole medium.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i guess Braid was important and affected the industry when it came out, but i don't think anyone gives a poo poo about Witness anymore

it's an ok puzzle game and that's that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

His tweeting about game development and entire dev wheel reinventing philosophy is garbage too.

Braid was a fluke.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The only good thing about Braid was Soulja Boy's youtube video review of Braid

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Braid had the fortune of coming out right near the start of the indie darling phase of video games. It's a good game and it's got a neat gimmick but, like, PoP Sands of Time did both storytelling and the gimmick better five years earlier.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My big Jonathan Blow memory is from one E3, Giant Bomb’s aftershow. Thry had him and Microsoft’s Phil Spencer on at the same time and Blow kept trying to take Spencer to task for Microsoft’s press conference because they didn’t dedicate time to discuss ”what really matters”, their backend processes for approving indie games and their updates to the Microsoft Store.

Motherfucker, this is the biggest consumer facing event of the year and you’re upset thry didn’t spend their press conference talking about backend systems? And then act indignant about and keep coming back to it time and time again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

please help i can't stop giving my money to pedophiles and rapists

Have you tried not consuming?