Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah lol at 'evidence'

'You creeped on me when I was 14.'

"Alright, first off, here is the blueprint of my house -"

how is that convincing evidence and not the craziest loving thing in the world. imagine if someone accused him of being racist and his response was that. everyone would call it out as bugfuck loopy. but since its a sex thing we all have to put on her deerstalkers and go 'hm, yes, very curious watson.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Probably better to say believe victims, since a couple of these are from guys.

My bad. Believe victims and accusers, and gently caress predators.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Endorph posted:

also yeah lol at 'evidence'

'You creeped on me when I was 14.'

"Alright, first off, here is the blueprint of my house -"

how is that convincing evidence and not the craziest loving thing in the world. imagine if someone accused him of being racist and his response was that. everyone would call it out as bugfuck loopy. but since its a sex thing we all have to put on her deerstalkers and go 'hm, yes, very curious watson.'

When I'm in a panic it seems like the logical thing to do :shrug:

Like it's a serious allegation, if it was lodged against me I'd be freaking out no matter how innocent I was in trying to explain my end of things and using whatever I thought was needed even if it's a stupid floor plan.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's always the chance of petty grudges and wanting to see people fail. Right now in the FGC there's a colossal number of people begging for callout posts in regards to SonicFox just because he's a furry. I'm just kind of waiting at this point for someone to try to drag him because man people are desperate for it.

I genuinely do understand what you mean though- I fully admit part of me is putting myself in Zeros shoes and that's loving with my judgement because I panic a lot when people misunderstand what I'm saying or whatever I'm trying to convey, and I've done the same thing in the past over small poo poo like not finishing a project in time or whatever, where someone cast doubt on me and I scramble to get as much evidence as possible because I don't want to be misunderstood.

I'm really not a fan of ZeRo's. I even mentioned before his post that this seems completely in character for him after seeing a couple videos of his where he bullies and peer pressures his friends into doing stupid things for his content.

Right now I'm on the victims side because more stuff came out, I just wanted a bit more to make a call.

First, I believe SonicFox's pronouns are "they/them." It's been mentioned in the thread previously.

Second, the reason we're piling onto you a bit is because your language is VERY close to the same stuff that always gets used to berate and demean victims when they come forward. It's always in the guise of "I'm just asking questions" but the intent is to smear or discredit the victim. Your previous posts aren't too different from what I've seen people post about Tara Reade when trying to defend Joe Biden. It's the same script.

I would ask that you stop being on the victim's side for "right now." Be on the victim's side until you have concrete reason to believe they aren't a victim. Provide the victim the benefit of the doubt and be on their side from the get-go, because what they're doing is dangerous and frightening and they need the support. And if you find you can't be supportive, then honestly the best thing for you to do is to be quiet while things hash out.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Oh someone accusing me of something? Better write a long-rear end post with plenty of images I try to pass off as being relevant to the accusations even though they are not. Also gonna try and paint that person untrustworthy while saying I am definitely not trying to do that. The one thing I won't do is to deny those accusations. Better say I don't remember, because if there is one thing in this world I am prone to forgetting it is if I abuse people. Gonna post this online, this is surely something that us innocent people do.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
being a furry adds to these dipshits' hate, but they're mainly begging for callout posts against fox because fox is black, nonbinary and outspoken about not liking conservatives, they're a lightning rod for fgc chud hate

also even if you meant well you still said something that sounded very bad and parroted what rape apologists say every time they crawl out of their hole to dogpile a victim. the original accusation wasn't fishy just because the victim posted a meme later. this is a terrible hill to die on, just drop it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like it's a serious allegation, if it was lodged against me I'd be freaking out no matter how innocent I was in trying to explain my end of things and using whatever I thought was needed even if it's a stupid floor plan.
indeed, it is the accused who are the panicking victims who we must have sympathy for

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Here's a better question:

Why on God's green earth would someone loving lie about this, about one of the most beloved and popular people in a popular esport, after a year away from the scene? Why is your first instinct to try and figure out 'how he could defend himself' instead of 'what possible motivation could she have to lie?' Go ahead and look at the replies to her tweets. That's what happens. To every single accuser. Ever. Regardless of proof. The Bill Cosby accusers got tons of death threats even after he was proven guilty in a court of law, even after multiple people came out to verify the stories, even after the media industry as a whole basically erased any proof of him ever existing.

Again, I want to make this clear. Regardless of any proof you present, regardless of what happens, regardless of what the accused person does, even if they admit their guilty publicly and immediately and make no attempt to downplay it? That is still what happens. And often much worse. People lose jobs for accusing people. People lose family. People are murdered. People are victimized further.

Do false accusations happen? Obviously, with outside motivation or pressure, either because the possible reward outweighs the risk or because they aren't thinking clearly, or because they have some reason to believe that they will be believed more than usual. Nobody wakes up one day and decides 'im gonna accuse one of the most popular people in my sphere, for kicks.'

Because look at this poo poo. Who would want this? And saying 'you don't think Zero is innocent' is pretty worthless when you're still inherently forcing us to accept a framework in which he is. I refuse to engage in that hypothetical.

Yeah, I think this is super super important because it's an important part of why "believe women" can be as straightforward as it is.

Every single accuser, without fail, has to undergo a horrifying horrifying situation that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The reason why you see accusations come out in batches like this is because people show support and it gives other people the confidence to face those horrifying situations knowing that someone has their back. Any accusation made comes at a tremendous personal cost even discounting the damage it can do to friendships, relationships, job prospects, and more.

Nobody is going to make this sort of accusation for fun or to get attention or whatever. There have been false allegations extremely loving rarely but they are so extremely loving rarely that they should not be even considered unless you've got some extremely loving solid evidence and "you said something nice to me, how could I ever have hurt you?" is not that.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The thing is that you won't be accused of this. You are significantly more likely to get hit by lightning than to be falsely accused of sexual abuse. It's hard to stress just how absurdly rare false accusations are compared to credible ones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think part of your problem is immediately going to "what if I were the accused" and not "what if I were the victim". You picked (consciously or not) whose point of view to worry about.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wicked Them Beats posted:

First, I believe SonicFox's pronouns are "they/them." It's been mentioned in the thread previously.

Second, the reason we're piling onto you a bit is because your language is VERY close to the same stuff that always gets used to berate and demean victims when they come forward. It's always in the guise of "I'm just asking questions" but the intent is to smear or discredit the victim. Your previous posts aren't too different from what I've seen people post about Tara Reade when trying to defend Joe Biden. It's the same script.

I would ask that you stop being on the victim's side for "right now." Be on the victim's side until you have concrete reason to believe they aren't a victim. Provide the victim the benefit of the doubt and be on their side from the get-go, because what they're doing is dangerous and frightening and they need the support. And if you find you can't be supportive, then honestly the best thing for you to do is to be quiet while things hash out.

Went back and edited my post on pronouns, I forgot and just typed naturally

I'm still going to be on the victims side of things because I do genuinely want to support them. I'm sorry if things came out wrong, I'm genuinely bad at wording things and this isn't the first time it's bitten me in the rear end, but I'm not trying to smear or discredit her or anything like that, it was never my intention. I found something weird about how she came out about things considering hwo everyone else was getting dragged to light and I wanted more information, that's basically it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think part of your problem is immediately going to "what if I were the accused" and not "what if I were the victim". You picked (consciously or not) whose point of view to worry about.

True.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that you won't be accused of this. You are significantly more likely to get hit by lightning than to be falsely accused of sexual abuse. It's hard to stress just how absurdly rare false accusations are compared to credible ones.

I was wrong. I just didn't want to have another name onto the pile even if it was someone I didn't personally like. I'm at fault.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 3, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As a side note, as a cis person who has several nonbinary friends, I do my best but I still slip up with pronouns occasionally and it makes me feel old and dumb. Just keep trying at it, apologize when you mess up, and that helps. To practice I've been more pushy about using they/them for when I'm talking about people I don't know, so I don't just assume.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Here's a hot take - if someone accuses you of acting inappropriately and you don't remember if you did it or not, just say you don't remember. Be a decent person and say you're sorry if you did that to them, explicitly call out that kind of behaviour as bad and say they're right to bring it up, and basically be on the right side of things instead of forensically throwing someone under the bus because you're involved this time

especially if you're in a position of influence in the community, you have a responsibility and how you respond really matters

hell even if you know you didn't do it, you still need to be careful about how you defend yourself because there's a bigger picture - don't undermine victims speaking out, push for support and solidarity and don't let people use your situation as an excuse to attack them. but if you don't even remember, gently caress that

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was wrong. I just didn't want to have another name onto the pile even if it was someone I didn't personally like. I'm at fault.

Kudos on admitting this, and thanks to everyone for keeping it civil and listening. This thread is doing extremely well compared to the internet at large. That's something I really need to see right now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found something weird about how she came out about things considering hwo everyone else was getting dragged to light and I wanted more information, that's basically it.

Honestly step away and think about it - you didn't mean to doubt the victim or back up the accused, but that's what you ended up doing, because the way she voiced it was "weird" and the rebuttal had all this compilation of... stuff

It's important because that's the way this often goes (not just online, very common in the media and the courts, with the police, etc etc) and people are conditioned to accept that system and see things from that perspective, so you need to deprogram yourself to an extent - and you already know by the sounds of it, so you just have to learn to check yourself y'know?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Here's a better question:

Why on God's green earth would someone loving lie about this.

I'll preface this by asking for an extension of good faith because I feel it's going to be trivial to quote this and be upset about something.

There are motives for people to lie about an accusation and to assume that literally no one would ever levy a false accusation on someone is dangerous, not just to the accused, but also to victims. To assume otherwise is incredibly naive. That motive might be spite, or revenge, or just 'trolling lol it's just a prank'. The consequence is this: If someone makes a false accusation and gets The Internet at large on their side and it later comes out that the accusation was indeed meritless, it's ammo for the alt-right and other deplorable groups to handwave away any other accusation or start to require 'proof standards' in the name of 'justice' or whatever bullshit they will come up with - point being that they will use that moment to justify some really horrendous poo poo and make it harder for victims to come forward.

Furthermore, when you are making a false claim, the emotional rollercoaster doesn't really apply to you - instead of reliving a traumatic experience and having people prod at it, you are just shitposting. The idea that it's a bad experience to deal with this claim when the claim is false to begin with doesn't hold water.

As others mentioned, SonicFox is kind of the 'obvious' target for a false accusation since they tend to be disliked a lot by people that might associate themselves with the same groups that'd weaponize a false claim. I actually expect something to show up about SonicFox before this is all over, but I will definitely wait to here from SonicFox before jumping to conclusions about such a claim.

It is important not just for the accused, but also would-be accusers that some level of scrutiny is applied to claims of abuse, or claims of abuse end up being harder and harder to make with further requirements for proof and we end up in the situation that was described where authorities wouldn't believe a victim if they weren't emotional enough, or were too emotional - A truly terrible situation to be in. Just to be clear, what I mean by scrutiny is that of a very light touch, 'Is this story plausible? What does the accused have to say about it?'. As far as I'm concerned, for nearly every case, the accused are guilty until proven innocent to some degree, but I'll at least hear you out. Starting to require hard evidence is a path to protecting abusers and that is a bad, bad place to go - we don't want to do that.

All that said, definitely believe victims. Definitely curate a space where victims feel they can talk and get some kind of support, but please do not assume that no one has a motive to lie about something either. Doing so is a massive disservice to fixing this in the long run.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found something weird about how she came out about things considering hwo everyone else was getting dragged to light and I wanted more information, that's basically it.

For the record, you (and I and the whole rest of the internet) aren't owed anything. Aside from the fact that I want to know which people are assholes and want them outed so they lose their power and can't continue to do terrible things, we shouldn't need to see receipts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'll preface this by asking for an extension of good faith because I feel it's going to be trivial to quote this and be upset about something.

There are motives for people to lie about an accusation and to assume that literally no one would ever levy a false accusation on someone is dangerous, not just to the accused, but also to victims. To assume otherwise is incredibly naive. That motive might be spite, or revenge, or just 'trolling lol it's just a prank'. The consequence is this: If someone makes a false accusation and gets The Internet at large on their side and it later comes out that the accusation was indeed meritless, it's ammo for the alt-right and other deplorable groups to handwave away any other accusation or start to require 'proof standards' in the name of 'justice' or whatever bullshit they will come up with - point being that they will use that moment to justify some really horrendous poo poo and make it harder for victims to come forward.

Furthermore, when you are making a false claim, the emotional rollercoaster doesn't really apply to you - instead of reliving a traumatic experience and having people prod at it, you are just shitposting. The idea that it's a bad experience to deal with this claim when the claim is false to begin with doesn't hold water.

As others mentioned, SonicFox is kind of the 'obvious' target for a false accusation since they tend to be disliked a lot by people that might associate themselves with the same groups that'd weaponize a false claim. I actually expect something to show up about SonicFox before this is all over, but I will definitely wait to here from SonicFox before jumping to conclusions about such a claim.

It is important not just for the accused, but also would-be accusers that some level of scrutiny is applied to claims of abuse, or claims of abuse end up being harder and harder to make with further requirements for proof and we end up in the situation that was described where authorities wouldn't believe a victim if they weren't emotional enough, or were too emotional - A truly terrible situation to be in. Just to be clear, what I mean by scrutiny is that of a very light touch, 'Is this story plausible? What does the accused have to say about it?'. As far as I'm concerned, for nearly every case, the accused are guilty until proven innocent to some degree, but I'll at least hear you out. Starting to require hard evidence is a path to protecting abusers and that is a bad, bad place to go - we don't want to do that.

All that said, definitely believe victims. Definitely curate a space where victims feel they can talk and get some kind of support, but please do not assume that no one has a motive to lie about something either. Doing so is a massive disservice to fixing this in the long run.
cool thanks for lecturing me for 10 billion words about the thing i literally said, in my post

Endorph posted:

Do false accusations happen? Obviously, with outside motivation or pressure, either because the possible reward outweighs the risk or because they aren't thinking clearly, or because they have some reason to believe that they will be believed more than usual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thanks for having this in your post history, also:

quote:

But a non-consensual vasectomy just isn’t a feasible solution to those concerns.

I legitimately don't see why that's completely off the table.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I think it's a bit weird to worry about #believewomen turning into some alt-right conspiracy to own the left. If they were capable of this they would have done it by now.

The reality is that getting people to make false accusations is a steep hill to climb, and false accusations usually fall apart pretty fast. People aren't going around accusing people of crimes that never happened just to get them canceled, despite several years of listening to people claim that that is the next stop on the slippery slope.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

cool thanks for lecturing me for 10 billion words about the thing i literally said, in my post

The point was to facilitate further discussion on the issue as it's nuanced and challenging to talk about. My bad for trying to have a discussion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The point was to facilitate further discussion on the issue as it's nuanced and challenging to talk about. My bad for trying to have a discussion.
It's cool, I accept your apology. I hope you've learned your lesson, op

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here is the thing specifically about making sexual charges in or around gaming. Every woman near gaming knows that Gamergate is misogynist. There are male targets, but female targets happen far, far more often. Every one of us knows that coming to Gamergate's attention just by existing is bad. Rape threats, death threats, doxxing, threats on your family, SWATting, and on and on.

Going public with abuse means accepting that Gamergaters are going to descend upon you like the hordes of Hell. That's a powerful barrier to true reports, far more false ones. Why would you take that risk? "Because I wanted to warn other people" makes sense. "Because I wanted to hurt person X" is far more unusual, especially in gaming.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, there’s a good thought. You think someone should be there to point out the possibility that an accusation could be false? Well, don’t trouble yourself. Every accusation will be met with dozens of not hundreds of people doing that, in various ways ranging from expressing mild doubt to explicit rape and death threats. That part is taken care of. There’s no reality in which an accusation will go unquestioned, no matter how credible.

I mean, really, what’s the concern? That nobody will take the side of the person being accused of abuse/assault? God I wish I lived in your world.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 3, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

My "Not involved in grooming and sexual harassment" 2000 word essay has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my essay.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Hub Cat posted:

My "Not involved in grooming and sexual harassment" 2000 word essay has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my essay.

Oh, you saw the Dersh's new op-ed too?

edit: gently caress, this is not the thread I thought it was

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

wow thanks man great post we really needed this

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

not a bot posted:

Gonna post this online, this is surely something that us innocent people do.
Ok. What is it that innocent people* do when accused of abuse they didn't commit?

(Assuming they exist to begin with)

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here is the thing specifically about making sexual charges in or around gaming.

I know what you mean, gaming is a cesspool, but this goes for accusations in *every* field. Unless you are an equal or bigger name than them (and even then), you will receive volumes of abuse for telling your story. In some fantasy world where every accusation is believed fully and every accused is dealt with, ok, maybe false accusations would be a concern. But that is not our world.

Accusers rarely gain anything from it, except relief from telling their story and hopefully relief that they won't be able to prey again.

Xander77 posted:

Ok. What is it that innocent people* do when accused of abuse they didn't commit?

If they're lucky, and kept full receipts, they do what Justin Bieber did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Discussion, in itself is not inherently good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Well, among other things, false accusations usually fall apart very quickly. Even if you falsely accuse someone you're probably going to gently caress up somewhere pretty obvious because it's a lot harder to smear someone than you'd think. The vast majority of the time this happens it falls apart pretty easily because the person can relatively easily prove where they were or what they were doing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

graventy posted:

I know what you mean, gaming is a cesspool, but this goes for accusations in *every* field.
Absolutely. I'm saying that the problem in gaming is much, much worse because of Gamergate.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Xander77 posted:

They don't post the sort of crap ZeRo did.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Absolutely. I'm saying that the problem in gaming is much, much worse because of Gamergate.

gaming isn't worse, look at how people acted towards Sandunsky's victims, for example

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It is interesting, and by interesting I mean depressing, to see how many people (not picking on anyone in particular) will fall instantly to 'oh my God, what if *I* were accused of rape?' and then obsess about that, rather than thinking of the victim first. It makes me think about those studies where when the scientists didn't use the word 'rape', a *lot* of male college students would admit to forcing girls to have sex. I can't find the numbers on a quick look but it was worryingly high.

Not as high as the number of women I know who've been victims, though. That's what I think some folk don't see, or perhaps just can't see. Sometimes you'll hear an awful statistic like 'half of all women suffer sexual abuse' or whatever and just based on the women I know well enough to talk about this stuff with, I've *never* heard a number high enough to reflect reality. If you broaden it to sexual harassment I'd say it's almost everyone.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

HopperUK posted:

It is interesting, and by interesting I mean depressing, to see how many people (not picking on anyone in particular) will fall instantly to 'oh my God, what if *I* were accused of rape?'
Because most men can't imagine themselves as a victim of sexual abuse, so the "what position would I be in" is going to default to "if I were falsely accused" because, however rare that is, they feel it as more real for them than "if I were the victim trying to speak out." They're not imagining what the other person is feeling, they're imagining themselves in those situations and picking the one that would be more likely (in their mind) to happen to them, as opposed to the one more likely to happen overall. That's why so many of them start with "I know false accusations are really rare, but." Rationally there's an acknowledgement that imagining yourself as the target of a false accusation is incredibly unlikely, but they see the alternative as even harder to come to terms with.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

HopperUK posted:

It is interesting, and by interesting I mean depressing, to see how many people (not picking on anyone in particular) will fall instantly to 'oh my God, what if *I* were accused of rape?' and then obsess about that, rather than thinking of the victim first. It makes me think about those studies where when the scientists didn't use the word 'rape', a *lot* of male college students would admit to forcing girls to have sex. I can't find the numbers on a quick look but it was worryingly high.

Not as high as the number of women I know who've been victims, though. That's what I think some folk don't see, or perhaps just can't see. Sometimes you'll hear an awful statistic like 'half of all women suffer sexual abuse' or whatever and just based on the women I know well enough to talk about this stuff with, I've *never* heard a number high enough to reflect reality. If you broaden it to sexual harassment I'd say it's almost everyone.

I wonder how much of it is about the idea of it being named, like a callout makes it real, so people fight against that idea of being branded a harrasser or whatever, even if that basically does describe their general behaviour that's just considered "normal". Someone accusing you means you have to face up to it, and the idea that maybe you're not as good of a person as you thought, and maybe you've been hurting people this whole time

Like if you "don't remember" if you were showing porn stuff to someone you think of as your little sister or whatever, then hey maybe that's a red flag in a broader sense. Admitting you did wrong doesn't change who you are (well maybe it does a little, in a positive sense) and what you've done, but it can sure alter a person's identity if they weren't being honest with themselves

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

An actual apology would have made him seem like a young dude that didn't realize he hosed up and crossed lines his giant weird defense makes it seem like he did it on purpose. Even twitter gets why his post was weird and bad
https://twitter.com/buttality/status/1279096388014522369?s=20
https://twitter.com/buttality/status/1279097782108815361?s=20

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 4, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

dude's post was literally a defence attorney presenting their case, hard to get more defensive than that

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Well, among other things, false accusations usually fall apart very quickly. Even if you falsely accuse someone you're probably going to gently caress up somewhere pretty obvious because it's a lot harder to smear someone than you'd think. The vast majority of the time this happens it falls apart pretty easily because the person can relatively easily prove where they were or what they were doing.

Yeah I don't think there's ever been a single accusation against a high profile person that turned out to be false, since MeToo started

E: also the idea that anyone might create a false accusation specifically for trolling, and thus be insulated from the blowback, is laughable. Maybe if the only risk for the accuser was people saying mean things, but considering we live in a world where reddit detectives will find where you live and call a swat team on you, or someone might straight up murder you, you'd have to be the dumbest loving person on earth to issue a false accusation against a high profile person

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah I don't think there's ever been a single accusation against a high profile person that turned out to be false, since MeToo started

Does gimr count? That came up again recently