Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Drakes posted:

Yeah I feel the process went through maybe dangerous down the line. It'll be more of a symptom of social media if anything, ostracizing people doesn't blow over well. This time its someone taking their life, what if someone reacts differently?

The part about how long its been known bothers me too, why did it have to go to social media like that? Do companies just not give a poo poo about spending time and resources on settling things? Alot of it reeks like no one really caring and just wanting quick solutions to things.

Companies are very hesitant to openly deal with situations like this because it's super goddamn bad PR to have to come out and admit that you had a serial sex pest on your payroll for a while and either let it pass unnoticed or knew about it and did nothing. Often the problem is either shoved under the rug as not critical(especially if the abuser is important/entrenched enough), the complainers/victims are silenced in some way(either gently in a "watch out for this guy but don't talk about him" sort of way or in a more direct "fired or transferred" way if it becomes disruptive), or at the very best it's dealt with on the down low("So and so is leaving the company to pursue other opportunities!"), which often leads to the abuser simply setting up shop somewhere else.

Sometimes the only outlet that actually reveals to the world that "Yes, this person is an abuser" is to trumpet it out in public outside of "normal" channels. Doing so might drag the abuser's name through the mud, but it's never something a victim can undertake lightly because daring to out an abuser usually paints a target on your forehead and as stated upthread provides no material gain for the victim besides catharsis. Public condemnation is one of the only things that can force a company to take action on something like this, because doing nothing after a public reveal looks worse than admitting you had a sex pest on staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Panderfringe posted:

It's way less creepy when it's an older woman and a younger man. So that doesn't count.

Exactly. Any kind of illumination on the actions of abusers runs the risk that it could cause someone to take drastic action. There's no way to blame any of the accusers for a suicide. But the idea that we sold treat it like a tragedy is absurd; the man deserved worse. In the absence of appropriate punishment, however, i feel like his suicide is at least satisfaction enough. And i see nothing wrong with societal encouragementof similar actions for abusers, when the courts are so totally incapable of administering justice.

There's a lot to unpack in that first statement there that's probably outside the scope of this thread.

It's absolutely a tragedy that the guy killed himself, even if you don't give a single poo poo about the guy's life and think he deserves to burn in hell, because of the effect his suicide may have on his victims. Living with the knowledge that you might have helped spur someone's death, even peripherally, is a really heavy and difficult burden to bear that can gently caress you up really badly - even if it's not your fault at all and you personally hate the person who died. People who have already gone through the trauma of being abused don't need more trauma heaped on top so I'm gonna say that this probably isn't a satisfactory ending to the story.

The current societal structures for dealing with this kind of thing absolutely don't work at all and people should still keep coming forward and airing their stories and dragging abusers through the mud, but we also don't want the abusers to loving kill themselves because we don't want to cause additional trauma to the victims. "Don't go against me or I swear I'll kill myself" is classic abuser-holding-victim-hostage poo poo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

I pushed back against this because somebody ended up dying at the end of the day. Someone who obviously saw that their life was over after it had been plastered all over the internet. If he'd just ended up fired, arrested or quietly vanished like those before I probably wouldnt have been so reactionary.

This outcome is ultimately the fault of the abuser, though. If he determined his life was over because of "twitter mobs", do you really think he wouldn't consider his life over if a parade of cops perp walked him into a cruiser to take him to jail(if somehow "official channels" weren't total poo poo and actually worked in these situations)?

It's not really the responsibility of the victim to carefully consider their abuser's financial, social, and mental situation before deciding whether or not to speak out about their abuse. The abuse itself is a fact.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Because deep down they worry that their own lovely behavior will get dragged into the light one of these days.

Alternatively - and I believe, more commonly - they may value the abuser's creations/contributions more than they care about the suffering of the abused, and are more concerned about the potential loss of the abuser's ability to produce those creations/contributions than they are about the victim receiving justice and no further victims being created.

See also how goddamn hard it is to drag sex pests from Hollywood/the music industry/etc into the light of day until extremely recently. After all, who cares that so and so sexually assaulted someone? They make great music/movies/video games/youtube videos!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

so hypothetically even if zoe quinn had assembled the perfect body of evidence that factually proved he was guilty of these crimes and presented it to the police and he actually got arrested

how would this not have made him kill himself?

Yeah I commented on this upthread a bit and I don't get it either. If the person was willing to kill himself over being twitter mobbed or whatever, what on earth makes someone think they wouldn't have killed themselves if they got literally put on trial with the threat of jail time or other judicial consequences?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Just Chamber, the core problem that you seem to be skating around is that knowledge of the crime being contained to a small number of people is explicitly part of the problem and why this kind of thing keeps happening. If someone is a sexual abuser and only a small group of people know and keep that stuff under lock and key, it's incredibly easy for that person to abuse again in the future in another environment where no one is prepared for it because the knowledge that the guy is an abuser didn't get out beyond a tiny bubble, and then the problem repeats itself.

If you abuse someone like this, you deserve to have your reputation destroyed and have to live with those consequences for the rest of your life. The abused person is forced to, so why shouldn't the abuser?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Smash scene is just horrific with all these stories coming up. Just holy gently caress man, it is staggering

This is pretty much the completely inevitable result of a community involving children mixing with adult strangers with almost zero supervision or oversight or even basic sanity controls like "maybe we shouldn't bring minors to afterparties with booze?". The most staggering thing to me isn't that it happened(which, for the record, is absolutely horrifying), it's that the laissez-faire approach was allowed to continue for so goddamn long and allow this kind of stuff to happen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Didn't Sky post about how laughable it was people were accusing him of misconduct like, five years ago?

He was probably high on being basically a cult compound leader with effective control over everyone around him, coupled with having enough community clout to keep people scared of speaking up. He probably legit never believed he would be credibly accused, since no one would dare and if they did he could use his fame/community connections to discredit them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sankis posted:

I don't think there's any conspiracy or anything stupid like that but it's kinda weirding me out that everyone apparently quietly decided on a universal format for statement announcement tweets

It's always one line, a break, then Read: URL

I have a message regarding the current controversy.

Read: twitlonger.co/randomletters

This is because that format is specifically very good at encouraging people to actually read what the hell you have to say instead of reading a headline and not bothering to read anything else.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RottenK posted:

I wonder what happened with MN9 to have it turn out like it did, did Inafune just not care to actually supervise the developement? He clearly still knows how to make a good game.

It established a precedent that if you ever see a kickstarter promise ports to every platform under the sun, you should immediately reconsider backing the project.

Bloodstained, which was by all accounts a very well managed project with clear communication with the community and a strong creative focus, nearly got torpedoed by the effort of trying to port to Switch while also doing their initially planned platform releases, and fixing the Switch port has taken so long that they had to delay their planned post-release support by months and months to get the Switch port up to snuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well from now on he won't be known for either of those things

Gootecks has been a stupid crank idiot for quite a while now and like 95% of the people who use pogchamp, poggers, and other related emotes have absolutely no idea who he is so this will change basically nothing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

I think those people are going to do it anyways so worrying about what they think is a fool's errand.

Chris Brown is still rich and famous. People in general don't care about this stuff, worrying about the PR of false accusations is just wasting your time.

Well, you see, sometimes lovely abusers still get off scot free so, like, nothing matters, man.

Seriously, what a poo poo position to hold. If your argument is "people who are not already on your side are inherently unpersuadeable", what would even be the point of the "believe women" movement? #metoo exists because enough people were convinced that Harvey Weinstein was a poo poo person who deserved to go down for the giant catalogue of awful poo poo he did.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 11, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Why is it that this weirdos are always also QAnoners. Don't answer, it is a rhetorical question. But dudes... at least find a new hot conspiracy theory.

The "beauty" of QAnon is that it's like some kind of horrible conspiracy katamari that rolls every other dumbshit idiot conspiracy theory into itself as part of one vast web of stupidity.

It lets you be a crackpot for every conspiracy theory at once!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah he is a loving idiot gross shithead and i am glad he is gonna get hosed over. i can't believe i used to think he was cool.

possibly. i can believe it. tons of morons and chuds will throw him money, probably enough to break even at least.

Avellone was once praised as a revolutionary writer as far as video games went, and he was involved in the production of some extremely good and memorable games, so it's not really a knock on you to have thought he was cool back before it became known to the world what a gigantic shitbag he is.

As far as getting money from chuds, it's possible he might be as incredibly dumb as Vic was and not only get owned in court but also squander the inevitable chud welfare. The circumstances of this lawsuit do seem to suggest that he is amazingly stupid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't even know if I believe that most of these sex pests know that they've done wrong. Most of them honestly probably believe that they definitely picked up consensual vibes, or that the girl was totally throwing off positive signals so it was okay to gently caress her while she was blackout drunk, or that it's totally just playful flirting that moved to the next stage because of just how darn charismatic and cool they are.

Then they end up in chud echo chambers because they don't believe they did anything wrong, and tons of people are yelling at them and trying to ruin their life(~totally unjustifiably!~), and the only people who have positive messages of support for them are chuds who rally around them in opposition to cancel culture or radical feminism or SJWs or whatever poison brainworms motivate the chuds in each specific case.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 5, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's probably an endemic issue in almost every developer/publisher over a certain size, varying only in severity and how long it takes to come to light.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

stepping down is separate from being fired or flat out resigning. i'll wait until we either hear news of his golden parachute or that he's got some other position

Yeah this reads to me as "oh poo poo dude you hosed up, duck back into the background and let the guy who you founded the company with who hasn't made himself an rear end in a top hat on twitter yet take over until the heat dies down" rather than "actual consequences for a chudlord".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, so much for (looks at Steam folder) Stardew Valley, Undertale, Spiritfarer, Firewatch, ...

Seriously, indies exist.

There used to be a pretty thriving B level of development that existed comfortably between AAA mega blockbusters and tiny indie projects which experienced a pretty severe die-off after the PS2 era as publishers consolidated their studios and increasingly began committing to fewer, bigger games per year, frequently in the same franchises as last year, as safer and more reliable revenue streams.

Activision in particular is infamous for gobbling up extremely talented medium-sized developers like Raven Software and enslaving them in the Call of Duty content mines forever instead of letting them make their own games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

the "general lee" excuse for the confederate flag is lovely and dumb especially nowadays but "crusader spirit" alongside it screams white supremacist/outright nazi

The incredibly thin fig leaf that the person piloting that mech probably hides behind if questioned about it by strangers is that in Mechwarrior, the Clans had a philosophical split between two factions called "Crusaders" and "Wardens" - the former in favor of invading and conquering everyone else and the latter in favor of chilling out.

It doesn't take a genius to understand exactly what that rear end in a top hat is going for by combining "Crusader Spirit" with a confederate flag, but I 100% guarantee you if pressed on it he'd whine about ~lore~.