Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, early-20's is skeevy but it'd at least be forgivable if he just kept it to himself. But from what I'm hearing, it sounds like he'd meet fans when they were like 17, "hang out" with them and make them feel special, and then wait a few years until they were old enough for it to not be weird or illegal. Which is literal grooming.

Like, it's a shame because I enjoyed watching Grumps occasionally, Dan seemed like a decent guy, but I'm not that shook up about it. This poo poo is getting way too commonplace, and we have to remember we don't really "know" these people. They're human, many of them are hosed up, sometimes we end up finding out exactly how hosed up they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think the only way Arin isn't hosed too is if he really didn't know the extent of what Dan was doing, puts out an apology to the victims, and severs (at the very least) his working relationship with Dan. I'm assuming there's going to be a split and Arin will just do content by himself.

Or he'll double down and deny the accusations. Youtubers get away with this poo poo easily if they're popular enough and have staunch defenders/deniers so :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Yeah, the defenders are all over the gamegrumps and rantgrumps subs. The argument is basically always "number was high enough when sex happened so nothing bad to see here".

This is basically what predators like Dan are counting on, people defending them because they slept with legal adults so it's "okay". Like Drake just openly "dating" an underage girl, sleeping with her only when she's legal and then dumping her right after. Same poo poo.

It's why creeps groom, it gives them a plausible out when they finally get what they're after.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm guessing there's no word from Arin or anybody Grumps-adjacent yet? Wondering if they're just going to go with sweep-this-under-the-rug tactic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I watched a little bit of Ross's stream last night and yeah, he seemed completely drained. I didn't know what he was going through, that's really rough.

As for Dan, somebody in the CineD sexual assault thread posted a tweet suggesting that this was all likely a smear campaign from Jontron Nazis still trying to ruin Dan's life. Apparently the OP of that reddit admitted as much? So who knows, or who even knows if the video was sent to somebody Dan even slept with. I jumped to... whatever conclusions but maybe this is all nothing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I barely even defended him, I apparently have less info about this than some people here, gently caress I'm barely even a GG viewer. I think I've seen fewer than 20 of their videos over the years and I won't be watching more. I'm not that invested, but if Dan destroyed somebody emotionally over this and doesn't seem to care then gently caress him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Probably because a lot of them are extremely online and extremely racist.

Which doesn't mean this was a smear campaign, if you think I'm waffling again or still trying to defend Dan.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well you see, this person was emotionally destroyed but it's okay because it wasn't illegal to do that. Emotionally destroying someone, totally legal.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It read like a boiler plate lawyer response, which it was. I doubt Dan even has the emotional maturity to process what he did, and if he feels bad about damaging that woman (he doesn't seem to) then he could've saved face by coming forward and actually apologizing for hurting her in his own words. But nope, Totally Legal Response from his lawyer because in the end it's all about branding. He loses a minimal amount of viewers for Game Grumps and the company stays in the black.

Yay capitalism.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tommy Wiseau is exactly how I imagine Dan Avidan would've turned out if he never met Arin.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, I watch Vinny a lot but I know nothing at all about his personal life and I kinda like it that way. This, whatever this is, seems suspicious as hell though and I don't know that I'd take it at face value. We're not talking about a Ninja-level Twitch Superstar who can keep that many people quiet, hell he's not even really Grumps-level. If there were anything on the guy that's been going on that long with that many people we'd know about it now.

Basically what I'm saying is, like any "conspiracy theory" involving that many people isn't going to be kept silent for that long over that many years. Hell, the Dan Avidan accusations were floating around before it blew up recently, there was apparently a whole drat play made about it. It was just downplayed because Game Grumps has a huge fanbase willing to defend them, and lawyers and money, etc.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I read through some of that transcript and he namedrops Ross O'Donovan and Dan Avidan in like a single paragraph. Yeah... nah! Probably not!

Seriously that reads like a fanfic.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean there are plenty of parasocial streaming buddies that don't gently caress their fans, but maybe just assume if they're not married that there could be some shady poo poo going on behind the scenes. Then determine how much you, personally, care about it and go from there.

That's all I got :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Then just always assume there's some shady poo poo going on behind the scenes, and determine how much you personally care about it.

That is all I got.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess I can tell on myself a little bit, a while back I met a new coworker who was 19, and I actually thought she was cute and interesting and was a little interested... even though I felt really weird about it. But the more I got to know her, the more she came across as a kid, like she had enough sense to make her own decisions but it'd feel really weird and skeevy to date or sleep with her. She even got flirty with me after working with her for a while, but I held back because it felt wrong. Being attracted to young people is fine, some can be interesting to talk to or hang around and they're still adults, but the issue is how you act on that attraction.

Basically, have some self-restraint and respect for social boundaries.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait until you get into your 30s, where your peers (and you) all age differently so three different people who are all the same age might look 22, 34 and 42.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

In this instance it does seem like Vinny had a problem, or vice, or whatever you want to call it and somebody who had a beef with him and wanted to destroy his life used that to attack him. It doesn't seem like other than sleeping with some fans, Vinny did anything particularly horrible here. I mean the two worst examples we have any evidence of look fabricated, and if there's any other murmurs of wrongdoing it's nothing worse than "yeah, I slept with Vinny once" from one or two people who didn't seem that upset about it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, might not be the best example because Bill Clinton is actually a big piece of poo poo, and remains so to this day.

But whoever compiled this doc definitely seems like they're trying to misrepresent a ton of poo poo to smear Vinny because of some beef with him that they can't drop, and it feels like the harder people push back the more they dig in.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I say we change the thread title to "Beanyot why you no schut poo poo?!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It really just seems like this was private correspondence between people who slept together or even just had some flirtatious back-and-forth online. None of it is damning, nothing suggests anything predatory (Vinny is as much a celebrity as like... Stuart Ashen, even if he has fans), it shouldn't have even come out. Even the parties involved didn't want it to come out and apologized to Vinny.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

That's about it. It doesn't sound like he misled them or anything.

The only sort of iffy thing about it is the messed up power dynamics of sleeping with fans.

Some posters ITT said it happened long enough ago (5 years? 6?) that I don't think he was even as big then as he is now, like he really blew up just 4 years ago or so. He was also younger, like it's different sleeping with young fans when you're in your late 20s vs. your mid 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Whoops!

Also I didn't know anything about Tripwire, I assumed based on Killing Floor that they were a British developer but apparently they're based out of Georgia?