Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hub Cat posted:

I linked it upthread Meghna Jayanth pointed out that Bevan's father was the High Commissioner to India(basically equivalent to a US Ambassador but probably worse because of the colonial history) The British Raj part is a jokey shot at how they are aristocracy as that was the name for the British colonial rule of India not a title, the leader would have been a Governor-General.

For the sake of accuracy, her dad was High Commissioner from 2011-2015. It doesn't look like her dad was ever posted in India before that, so I don't think the claim she spent her teenage years there is actually true. Her dad's basically a senior civil servant, apparently her mum's an english teacher.

Doesn't change the general truth that her husband's an abuser and the attack on "cyberbullies" is a scummy move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Were the teenagers at Sky's house actually living there or just visiting? I'd been kind of under the impression it was the former, but with that description of how crowded the house was I feel like I must have that wrong because I can't imagine letting my own son or daughter live in those conditions.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

egg tats posted:

hi i'm currently losing my mind over the fact that this dude literally thinks a solid defense of his actions boils down to publicly stating "My only problem is that I did intentionally do the crime I'm being accused of. the crime she says i did absolutely happened, and i honestly made no attempt to not do the crime"

As mentioned earlier, the truly depressing thing about that is it has a very good chance of working if it does end up before a judge, a class of people who are disproportionately white, male, old, and wealthy, and by definition, in a position of authority over others.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean most of the GG rear end in a top hat G gamer types dont even push for the games as art line and pretty much hate every mainstream/indie game already for weird petty chud leaning reasons. the only people i see pushing the art stuff are critic on youtube/twitter and video game writers/PR folks.

Those types were definitely all in on "games are art" idea back when the main issue facing the hobby was censorship. You could scarcely find a single gamer who didn't insist vociferously that games were Worthy and needed to be taken seriously, who didn't mock Roger Ebert's comments about it being impossible for games to be true art, didn't lean on the notion of being art as meriting a very high standard of protection under the first amendment.

And then one woman made an arty video game and another woman made a video series and like half of all capital-G Gamers just loving lost their poo poo. Everyone agreed games were art, right up until the very second they started getting artistic criticism. Then they were just toys, and the girls aren't allowed to play with the toys because they'll get their cooties politics on them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HopperUK posted:

Uggh. I'm 42 and kids that age just - look like kids to me. Nobody under 25 looks like a possible sexual partner to me any more and I think that's probably more normal than the 'um 17 year old girls are at their scientifically hottest everyone knows that' people. I'm a bisexual woman and the most I think when I see a very gorgeous 22-year-old is 'oh what a lovely-looking kid', you know? Like they're not even in my same category. Surely that's more usual than these fuckin creeps.

I wouldn't be so sure, that "half your age plus 7" rule people often cite as the lower limit of when it starts being creepy was in the past considered the ideal age for a female partner. When you look at how common it apparently is for men in positions of wealth, fame and power with access to younger women and girls to creep on them, and how frequently people will excuse or cover for them, I think the disturbing truth is that relationships with an age/power imbalance are a marker of male status in our culture, men with wealth and power learn to feel entitled to them, and many, if not most men will excuse anything short of illegality (and in many cases, several steps beyond) in service of that culture.

We've at least reached the point where men of fame and power will keep these liaisons secret because they know there's a part of society that will shun and shame them for it, but sadly I think there's still a long way to go before these sorts of relationships are not desirable to men, either secretly or openly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Sometimes Food posted:

... why is Chris Metzen posting his own name?

He's seen this post, and then attempted to search for his own name to see if anyone is talking about him in relation to this, but instead of typing his own name into the search box, he's typed it in the replies box.