Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Just Chamber posted:

I dont. And every situation is different. And obviously I'm thinking of things with more of a hope that there was a better way to handle things that this, and maybe there wasn't?

Also I agree that the victims need to come first here, of course they do. And likely it's naive on my part to look for solutions that dont exist.

This guy has a history of doing this, people knew and hadnt acted on it and so ok, then perhaps in his case this was the only way it could be done. In the context that this would have prevented future people from being abused then I can agree with the justification.

I pushed back against this because somebody ended up dying at the end of the day. Someone who obviously saw that their life was over after it had been plastered all over the internet. If he'd just ended up fired, arrested or quietly vanished like those before I probably wouldnt have been so reactionary.

This is what you're not getting man. It literally always like this. Vic, Soule, people know they're abusers of some stripe every single time and it gets swept under the rug. Sometimes for decades! Just look at how it was an open secret with Vic. Power protects power, and power ESPECIALLY protects male power.

There. Is. No. Other. Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

lol i knew posting in here was a bad idea

Chomp8645 posted:

I flat out don't believe this. Not unless you were doing something to illicit it.

I've played male and female characters in MMOs and it was a real "once in a blue moon" scenario for something like that to happen unprovoked. Maaaybe way back in the day. But everyone now (and for the last ten years at least) understands that an in-game character's gender has no relation to that of the player.

loving yikes dude. I agree, posting in here while roleplaying as a Fox News caster was a bad idea.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Woozy posted:

But that's exactly my point! Music nerds say all the same poo poo, because they have the same set of complaints, which have nothing at all do to with a pathological contempt for women-as-women, and everything to do with wanting their own space. The contempt is for imposters.

Imposters? Dear god, you mean someone out there might not only NOT like thing I like...they might like thing I like, but in the wrong way?!

Won't someone defend the objective truth of gaming from the :females:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Consumption is not culture and will never be culture, which is why "gamers" are invalid as a social group and should be cast into the abyss.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Backhand posted:

I disappear from the forums for a bit and this is what I come back to.

I can't get away from this crap at all anymore, can I? It follows you everywhere you go.

Not everything is about you.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

again, even if the tweets are true, what do they prove.

Your Honor, the tweets demonstrate that I would dearly like the bad man who made games I like to not be bad, thereby absolving me of responsibility to think thoughts.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Abuse can't possibly be going on unless the so called victim looks like they're literally dying of famine, sunken eyes hollow with the things they've seen.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

muon posted:

yes: play video games instead of policing wrongthink

Bet this guy uses lots of gamer words

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I have literally never seen the specific term “sex-pest” outside of Something Awful.

It's more of a UK term.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There is no “both sides of the issue” here because that implies “Sarkeesian didn’t do a particularly good job of feminist critique” is what her opponents are saying. They are not. They are mostly slapping their chests and howling about fake gamer gurls and cultural colonialism.

Also ya know, the people reflecting that her feminist analysis was weak aren’t sending death or rape threats. I feel that’s important too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The conversation had already shifted to the quality of Sarkeesian's critique. Endorph was not the first to post on this subject, nor even close to the first for that matter.

You are simultaneously jumping the gun and late to the party, basically.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 8, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

makes sense.
didnt he also right pillars of eternity?

He wrote Durance and Grieving Mother and then left Obsidian before PoE was completed.

Which is a shame because Durance is a really well realized character but uh, Chris Avellone has been going off the rails for a while so this is not exactly the first time I've had to distinguish between the man's work and the man.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Man it's going to be weird seeing the usual chorus of "well I never liked his stuff anyways :smuggo:" posturing people do when a predator gets outed after 20 years of Planescape being hailed as one of the best game narratives of all time and a decade of New Vegas as the gold standard of open world storytelling.

Nah. I think there will be a bit more acknowledgement of the fact that his role in a lot of the games he gets Games Media Worshipped for was always overblown though. He has always been a spotlight chaser, in contrast to dudes like Sawyer who always try to correct people when they reflexively attribute everything in a game to him, and points out the lesser known writers.

Death to the Great Man theory of game development.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Does it matter if he wasn't a predator when he wrote X but was later? My personal view is that it's more important to focus on what I can materially do to keep him from being in a position of power to predator again. Buying or not buying games he isn't getting royalties from anyway, from a decade ago, is literally meaningless.

Telling people who emblazon his name on their prodcuts going forward to gently caress off seems more likely to have an impact.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

precision posted:

God, what a bunch of navel gazing horse poo poo. Lmao. "Why do anything, why not just make long posts instead"

Y'all have fun. I'm deleting the awful app for good this time. Sick of assholes like stux and the new "chat thread clique" (aka the stux fan club) who apparently delight in making me, a mentally ill person, feel like total poo poo just for trying to post and be chill.

I guess it's proof of how woke they are, they'll even bully a depressed nonbinary person that just wants to be their friend

Lol

I've met paranoid old southern ladies with less developed persecution complexes than this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SweetBro posted:

Sure, I agree with that, if that was the actual intent of the subject. But the point is that by using the term "manipulation" as part of the discourse you've baked actual malice into the premise of your statement. Which may not be accurate and certainly not healthy to the discourse. Adult relationships are messy and there are plenty non-malicious reasons why one person might believe a hook up would lead to a relationship but doesn't. Anything from honest miscommunication, to simply changing your mind for whatever reason after you've become intimate. It is difficult with certainty to know what someone's intent was.

I’m not sure you’re making a compelling case here that intent matters in any way. If they do all of the things Endorph listed, does it matter WHY they did them? Having a delusional self image does not make you not a manipulator. People doing lovely things often have rationalizations or do not consciously acknowledge their behavior.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What universe do they reside in that they feel like Vic has been vindicated...? Or that the takeaway from Howolka killing themself was "guess we should never reveal the crimes of abusers then".

Literally what on earth.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Racist old white people love slavery and try to find historical examples of it where it didn't exist to make it more acceptable

That’s…not really what motivated the assumption that the Pyramids were built with slave labor. It has more to do with Biblical associations with Egyptian Pharaohs as emblems of tyranny.

“Pharaoh” once had the connotations that “Hitler” does today.