Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Violen posted:

Also, since whisper networks are being discussed, this is a really good thread relating to them:

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1166786877661179904

I'm pretty leery about how she's omitting the T in LGBT and specifying only trans men. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

So it's not sexual assault, but the Game Director for Stellaris follows a lot of alt-right figures on Twitter, as discovered by @plainoldchair and posted here by forums user WhiskeyJuvenile:

https://twitter.com/plainoldchair/status/1171519694949347328 (thread)

It's a pretty bad look given the subject matter of a lot of Paradox games. It got posted on the official forums and was quickly swept under the rug. The Stellaris Thread here has been split along "gently caress anyone who gives people like IMC the time of day. This recontextualises a lot of stuff in Stellaris in a bad way and makes spotty implementation of new features look like a The Great Replacement simulator" and "gently caress this I just want spacegames" lines with one of the latter voices having a Balkenkreuz in their avatar. They said it was an innocent thing from some old internet argument but just :cripes:

Is there any possible course of action here? Is it appropriate to want to want the developer (Paradox as a whole and the individual concerned) to be more politically conscious? The previous game director wore some Make Space Great Again hats before the 2016 election when it looked like Trump was a total joke, and those got retired pretty darn quick. While there's not been anything (to my knowledge) posted by Moregård himself that'd be alt-right, it still seems really fishy to be linked to those accounts.

Also there's a pretty fash mod that's been up for years, per the thread.

As a New Zealander and a Paradox fan, I was glad to see that there was at least some effort to tone down the lovely racist memes from the CK2, EUIV, HOI4 camps in the wake of the Christchurch shooting, but I just don't know what the heck is going on anymore there.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Hah. Yeah, fairly lovely phrasing but like...I dunno I felt it still fell under the umbrella of probably lovely stuff in games industry figures that is worth looking at? :shrug:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Tarn Adams is a shockingly pure soul and interviewing him (like way back when DF was 2d) was a really nice experience for kid-games-writer me, and he sent me a crayon drawing for my small donation :unsmith:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Foo Diddley posted:

Wait, wait; you interviewed Tarn Adams? Really?

You can't just tell us that in one sentence, dude

Interview with the name changed to protect the less than innocent. It's not going to tell you anything you didn't know, but it turns out that while it's not on the live web anymore, archive.org had a copy. I'd do it differently now, but it was really really cool to be able to talk with the guy who made something that I love and share it with the world. :unsmith:

I'm not entirely sure if it was in the print edition or not. What does stick out in my mind is that even after all of this time, he was easily one of the most passionate developers that I interviewed. He might have made a game with some pretty grizzly content, but he never liked it when people in the community dwelled on pointlessly macabre stuff like making machines which beach mermaids so that they drown on dry land and their bones can be harvested indefinitely. He just wants to make the thing that he loves, and I really, really respect that. I hope that the graphical release gets a lot of attention when that comes out.

e: Yeah! Re: Warframe, I think that in particular they removed a gacha system for the dog cosmetics when only a few whales were really biting. As far as F2P stuff goes, Warframe has been pretty nice. Especially since the premium currency, and the parts for high-end equipment, can be traded between players instead of DE being the only place ever to buy.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 11, 2019