Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nicalis is primarily a publisher and port studio, they don't really make anything from scratch and therefore don't usually taint their games in that specific way.

That dude's hosed the moment other people stop letting him handle their games, he contributes nothing of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Some of the ambiguous comments about Japanese indie publisher guy Ben Judd have been given more context, as well as his company Dangen Entertainment: https://medium.com/@dangenwarning/dangen-entertainment-warning-f1e8b5a1104a

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Do they have a history of doing that? I'm not calling you out, I have no idea.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it's probably worth keeping in mind that this was almost entirely localized to SA, and that this is only known about by non-goons because he is apologizing for it publicly. the shithead way to handle this would have been to just autoban his SA account and pretend nothing happened.

What point are you trying to make?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That and they copped immense amounts of poo poo for removing said animations - from the typical internet peanut gallery, not from fighting game people or people who actually played the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MN9 over-promised, basically - they way over-committed on supported platforms, they cornered themselves into supporting ultimately worthless features like online multiplayer and all the physical backer rewards chewed up a significant portion of their already-small budget.

Inafune also left most of the actual day-to-day game design work to relative novices from his studio - he and the other veterans they touted as part of the kickstarter weren't all that hands-on, nor were Inti Creates' people who clearly do just fine on their own.

Kanos posted:

It established a precedent that if you ever see a kickstarter promise ports to every platform under the sun, you should immediately reconsider backing the project.

Bloodstained, which was by all accounts a very well managed project with clear communication with the community and a strong creative focus, nearly got torpedoed by the effort of trying to port to Switch while also doing their initially planned platform releases, and fixing the Switch port has taken so long that they had to delay their planned post-release support by months and months to get the Switch port up to snuff.

I'd argue the Switch version being bad is definitely a case of poor management - they had a reputable support studio signed on from the beginning to handle lower-spec versions for Wii U and PC, and if they'd thought ahead they could've canned those versions much earlier and had them do the Switch port. I think they were just afraid to piss people off by dropping platform support so they waited until the last possible moment to do it, but it's not like they ever showed or offered updates on those versions anyway. (MN9 also didn't show their 3DS/Vita version and never bothered to cancel it or refund people.)

Bloodstained's production had its hiccups, mostly due to scale - Inti Creates were supposed to make the game but they bailed around a year in because they worked too slowly, then the asset studio they had working on the game after that didn't do great work and they had to bring in Wayforward to finish it up and do a visual pass, and even now you can clearly tell which environments/rooms got brushed up and which didn't.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The idea with Red Ash was that it would coincide with MN9's launch but then MN9 got delayed again, they weren't supposed to overlap.

The studio doing the actual work on Red Ash wasn't the same one making MN9 so I don't know that one necessarily impacted the other too heavily, especially since we don't know if they ever genuinely started work on it or not - they said they had a Chinese investor funding the game but I don't think they offered a single update once their campaign ended so it may have been face-saving bullshit.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was MikeZ always known to be awful? I know a handful of people like Maximillian and the SBF talking positively about him way back when so I always just kind of assumed he was a good dude even though I never really knew much about him

Those people were barely any more in the know than the average internet user and they're just as susceptible to silly personality bandwagoning as anyone else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've seen a ton of yandere av/named people in the comments of Mike-related posts for a while now and I never know whose side they're on or what they're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Captain Invictus posted:

ah good, here we go. this is Boen himself:

Here's his statement, as well as coordinated statements from all his pals further down the thread: https://twitter.com/BOENSAW/status/1445788140619370500