Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dude was guilty as sin and everyone knows it. :colbert:

Maybe don't sexually abuse a big bunch of women if you don't want people calling you a sex pest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Yes, it's absolutely the innocent people that are the first to have multiple women accusing then of sexual harassment, followed by their co-workers adding that they knew they were creeps.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Gonna write on the topic of #metoo in gaming:

It's an objectively good thing. If you're afraid of it, maybe you shouldn't have been abusing people for years. No one's getting fired due to a single unsubstantiated claim, get real you Sealioning creep.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What was the deal with the earlier talk about ProJared? Last I heard everyone was mocking him for cheating on ElfWife, and kicking him for soliciting teen nudes. Did he do/not do something else?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The rule is "don't gently caress the fans". That is literally and verbatim what an agent says to you day one, and what YouTubers say to each other as a catchphrase since ofc Google doesn't do their due diligence.

It's about not abusing a power imbalance. It's why professor's and ta's shouldn't date their students, and why Woody Allen should be pelted with rotten veg every day of his life.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

StabMasterArson posted:

What an amazing post!

There's a reason it's a cliché that white mass shooters are just unfortunate mentally ill people who needed help. It is genuinely easier to emphasise with someone who has had a similar life. You need to recognise that, and act to counter it. Otherwise you just become other idiot that talks about how he doesn't see race, while doing systemic rascism.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Not sure I give a poo poo about the chat logs from the guy that started a misogynistic hate cult to get back at his ex. Guy had been abusing Zoe hideously for a while by that time, no surprises she was in a bad place.

gently caress Eron Gjoni. Just read any of the smug interviews that piece of poo poo has given, he should never interact with another human even again.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 2, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The thread naturally attracts a lot of thread shitters, and gaters that kept their heads down when the bans started. Don't bother engaging with them in good faith. Report and move on. Check their rap sheet if in doubt. Every creepo so far has had a long series of probations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Also, if someone is posting alleged Zoe screenshots, those are either things posted by abuser Eron Gjoni on 8chan, or else fabricated whole cloth by 8channers. You can be fairly sure they're not arguing in good faith.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nae! posted:

I also think it’s worth noting that people who are terrible to their romantic partners are often terrible to other weaker people in their orbit, as well. The part about him being a horrible boss is particularly telling. This is not about sex; this is not about love. This is about control. About power.

There's a lot of truth to this. Always pay attention to how someone treats waiters, it's a near universal litmus test to detect assholes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Anyone who didn't click this really needs to. 3 pages, each better than the last.

Pro click, and a half. I thought VideoGames weighting in was going to be the highlight. Holy poo poo was I wrong.

It's a little alarming that someone can exist in an alternative world like the OP, but there's a whole cottage industry on 8chan of people fabricating screenshots and Twitter comments that makes it possible. Watching them come into contact with the real world in a way that only harms themselves is pretty funny though.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It came out a few pages back, but yeah, really shameful behaviour from Zack, who was a developer I genuinely liked :(

Kevin... I dunno. I can tell myself I would have done the brave thing if my boss, best friend and landlord had hurt his wife in front of me, but I'm very glad I've never been in that situation where you find out if you're a coward or not.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Big thumbs up for Dear Esther from me as well.

It doesn't make use of the interactive nature of the medium in the way that later "walking simulators" do, but it's a phenomenal piece of art regardless. Gone Home is the superior work imo, that refines the ideas and makes intelligent use of it's medium, but Dear Esther made it possible to release a game like that.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm kind of happy that this isn't a problem in my field. Chemistry these days has a surprising number of female graduates, who get some very high ranking positions, too. My boss is a woman, in fact, and my class was nearly 50% women.

I always feel kind of obligated to point out that it is at least partly self-selecting, though. Engineer classes still are 80+% percent male through what is not necessarily entirely their own fault.

Academia is definitely going to be the next big metoo site. A friend of mine was supporting a student raising a harassment complaint that just got dumpstered by their university. Guy was untouchable as he was the big grant getter, and harassed a new student every year.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, I can absolutely see that happening. Especially the technical fields are still incredibly male-dominated compared to things like biology, which is like 70% female students here these days, but it's certainly not something something any faculty will prove itself immune to.

I wish them all the best there. Get the old fucks.

My suspicion is that percentage of female students doesn't reduce the amount of abuse. Change only seems to occur when the number of female senior staff increase. It's been a while since I've been in that world though, I only get the second hand stories.

Also, if you've got a high influx of female students and very few female staff, that's a serious red flag that there's significant pipeline issues at work resulting in women being forced out.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I understand the frustration, but a large settlement will start to have an effect on management. These people are protected because the management only cares about protecting the bottom line. If a professor is costing you 10s of millions, suddenly that's a bottom line issue.

Totally agree it should be significant jail time instead.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Check out the documentary The Hunting Ground. Academia is horrible and won't fix the sexual harassment/rape problem as long a three institutions are in place: the fraternity system, football, and privatized cops. The fraternity system pours tons of money into funding and lobbying. Football brings in tons of funding into the schools and bolsters their image, the football players are revered as gods. And if you think the normal police are terrible, campus police exist solely to protect the university's image and cover up any incidents.

This was in the UK, which has none of those systems. As others have mentioned, our problems stems from a massive power imbalance and no oversight.

I'm going to give that movie a skip for my own well being, even just your description is enough to see that set-up would become a truly noxious mix.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ah, I hadn't even considered what the system is like outside the US. Yeah, the movie is really heavy, I don't blame you for skipping it.

No problem.

Quick overview of UK system (as I remember it, it may have changed or I may have had an atypical experience)

In general, the serious money in UK universities are brought in by research grants. These are big blocks of money that are donated by various organizations to research certain topics (sometimes very woolily defined). You have to submit a bid to receive these, and they are extremely competitive. They also tend to go to people who are doing the "highest impact" research, which you need to have a grant to do, leading to a feedback effect, where a few individuals can bring in almost all of a departments money. A department rockstar can nearly get away with murder before they get disciplined.

On top of this, academia is very much a pyramid scheme. Hundreds or even thousands of people are trying to get access to the few permanent jobs, and are desperate to survive in the environment. They are entirely relient in the patronage of people higher up. PhD students in particular are in a weird place as they're not technically employees so they lack many of the normal protections.

This gives rise to the same situation they had in showbiz and games: a highly vulnerable set of people, and a few all powerful men protected from consequence.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zoe Quinn has reactived their Twitter and posted an update
https://twitter.com/UnburntWitch/status/1172294540117458944?s=19
Good to hear she's ok. 100% agree with what she's saying.

Edit: fixing pronouns, thanks

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 13, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

A quick reminder Quinn uses they/them pronouns

Fixed, thanks buddy.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Soooo a whole lot of nothing ?

Libertarian spotted

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Edmund has always been a bit on the south park republican / "offended snowflake :smuggo:" end of the curve. As far as I'm aware he's not evil, just a big teenage edgelord comedy-wise. I'd not hold my breath for him getting his response right.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Studio posted:

To be quite honest those are all things I know very little about from the perspective of an Indie Dev, so I kind of want to know more. Like, is the complaint about cliques related to access and media promotion, or is he just mad that he isn't friends with some popular indie devs???

He was saying that in a conversation with his buddy Notch...

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's just... he's not a piece of poo poo, like the other guys that get discussed. He's not abusing his wife, taking advantage of his fans or converting children to Nazism (as far as I'm aware). He just doesn't always get why you shouldn't use certain words in certain contexts. I'm still happy to buy his games, but I don't think we'd get on in real life.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Friend of mine has a wee wargame on Steam, fake world, fake nations.

Every month or so he has to clear the Nazi poo poo out of the steam workshop. It gets everywhere.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Pretty much the first thing Anita Sarkeesian said was that you should be critical of the media you love, and you can love something and still be critical of it.

That was enough to drive an army of nerds into a blood rage that still hasn't abated. Some people just can't understand the idea on a fundamental level.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Incoherence posted:

The really weird thing about Anita Sarkeesian is that you'd think the Trve Gamers would be intimately familiar with the Streisand Effect, and yet they Streisand Effected her Kickstarter to hell and back.

The other sort of weird thing is that this followed not long after Gamers got really mad at Roger Ebert for saying games couldn't be art: the Tropes vs. Women story demonstrated that said Gamers weren't prepared for the sorts of media criticism that come with being even in the same plane as art.

It's the Schrödinger's gamer. Games must be recognised as art, but at the first hint of artistic criticism, "it's just a game".

In conclusion, gently caress gamers.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

People had absurdly high standards about a focused YouTube series on a basic introduction to feminism in games, which led to them being useful idiots for gamergate. Expecting bespoke follow up interviews, and declaring she was lieing and presenting herself as all women if she doesn't do them, is a bit of a major stretch.

Of course, holding women creators to an unrealistic or realisable standard is misogyny 101 so it was to be expected.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 8, 2019

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

I don't think 'presenting a few alternate angles and acknowledging the nuance of some things' is unrealistic or unrealisable, lol. And iunno how it's misogyny since this entire point spun off from me thinking a guy is dumb for also not doing that.

Buddy, you called her a liar who "outright sucks".

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Clearly the parentage of Cereza is vital to the question of whether or not video games commonly use lazy tropes that don't treat women well.

So to contribute: the game is going for a fake-out. It's hinting that Bayonetta is her mother, despite her protestations, not strongly but just enough that some people might think that's the direction they're going in. Then it does a wink, and reveals the plot about time travel.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Edit: joke was upsetting people, so I've removed it

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ash Crimson posted:

What are you trying to say here?

I was joking about the article in the joke magazine, but I've misjudged the tone so I'll edit out the post.