Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was born in 1959. I remember when software people were seen as weird. I remember when people in my co-ed frat (long story) would come into the common room when we were playing D&D and we'd all chant in unison "Don't ask. You don't want to know." I remember when everybody everywhere mocked Trekkies.

Like, that really existed. But I'm sixty. And looking over my lifespan as a nerd, we won. Comic book movies make bank. Star Trek movies make bank. Star Wars, which I was in line for the day it came out, makes bank. Software engineers, holy cow. We aren't a persecuted minority. We aren't even persecuted. We're mainstream. And the persecution complex is an ugly look, in a time where just having a woman's voice on chat, or body on Twitch, gets you rape threats. To say nothing of what happens to POC.

Offtopic a bit, but someone older than my parents with a Homestuck avatar is freaking me out a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm a botanist and when I went through school it was already a field that had leant to women long enough that the senior faculty was half or more women.

And we still had problems. The only one I knew of well enough to talk about was one new agey prof who was notorious about hitting on the older women in his class.

And like nothing came of it because, at least among the women who talked about it around me, he'd been completely fine about rejection so nome of them saw it as anything more than annoying and a bit sleazy. But like. You worry about someone who was too scared to turn him down even if ultimately he would be fine about it.

Like the fact he seemed to stick to women his own age, makes me a little hopeful he wasn't a predator? But you just don't know.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Edmund did put out a statement almost immediately after seeing that Kotaku piece, saying he's not going to be working with Nicalis ever again.

Yeah like. Why would he make a further statement. That seems pretty conclusive and good?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Clarste posted:

Gamergates are actually a widely misunderstood and underappreciated caste of female worker ants that are also capable of sexual reproduction.

There is also Gamersgate the unfortunately named online store started in the mid 00s who were really quite irritated when their name got some new associations in the mid 10s.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ZUN is a very cool dude with good opinions snd actions to back them up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hope not but you never know.

also what is RPG codex?

Ariong posted:

Doesn’t/didn’t he have an account here? Or was ropekid someone else who worked at obsidian?

It should be noted a lot of devs have accounts there, almost everyone involved in crpgs in the 2000s really. It was one of the first really big sites for talking about rpgs going back to the early 2000s if not the 90s. But like any poorly moderated nerd space it metastasised into a nazi shithole and most devs have avoided it for a decade plus. Avellone gets poo poo cause he's been hanging out there a lot since 2018.

Edit: Basically a dev having an account there isn't a red flag, a dev using their account recently kinda is.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 22, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm torn on Bayek. Playing as Aya would have been really cool, but Bayek was fantastic and the dynamic where despite being the player character he is very much following his wife's lead was interesting and unusual to see in a game itself. If nothing else positive, healthy and cool depictions of dudes like that isn't a bad thing.

I loved Origins, gently caress Ubisoft management with a rusty metal rake.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 23, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Isn't the Witcher 3 basically that? I just made it to Kaer Morhan, don't spoil me.

Witcher 3 also has shades of that yeah. Geralt is far less proactive than the women in his life and is comfortable with that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/gootecks/status/1296225364180525056

Posting this here, Gootecks is a piece of poo poo, RIP pogChamp

I've heard from a few places he HATES poggers and related memes because apparently he doesn't like being known as "the guy with the weird mouth in the emote" and not fgc stuff.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also his avatar is a knight and that's usually a bad sign on youtube.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Meallan posted:

I agree that it's even worse when the victims are young, but I have to disagree that doing that in general (even to older people) is just skeevy.

I personally see it as full on predation, and think its just possible to exist as a pattern if someone does not care about other people in general.

Pretending you like someone just to use them and then discard them is something that cause extensive harm. I've seen people with years long problems in trusting new partners, and even friends, due to stuff like this. To me it's just cruel. No decent person would do this.

Yeah tbh I'd still be perfectly happy shunning him if he was pulling this poo poo on 40 year olds instead.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

loving fans is weird and kinda skeezy, but if he's not doing the thing GG guy did with pretending to love them and going for them super young/going for people he's known since they were kids it's not nearly as bad.

Like he absolutely should re-examine what he's doing and stop, but like I'm not gonna stop watching like I have with the Grumps. Least that's where I'm drawing a line I guess. Obviously reliant on worse not coming out.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think creators shouldnt gently caress people who approach them as fans, but also im not gonna say a guy loving a few fans is the worst thing in the world or anything. its 'dude knock that poo poo off' level at worst. its when you get into people talking to fans in their teens that poo poo gets weird, or setting up scenarios/groups solely for the purpose of loving fans.

This is where I'm at yeah. If this is all it is I hope Vinny gets through this okay.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Were the details of the californian investigation published yet, or no because the suit is ongoing?

e: Like beyond what's just in the article?

as dumbly funny as this is I seriously hope they don't get away with just a scapegoat or two.

I sorta assumed chris metzen was a dick but man, I'd always heard mike morhaime was such a good guy; if it's'old blizzard' that doesnt bode well for that. Hope the victims get justice but its never great to hear about the people you looked up to being poo poo.

... why is Chris Metzen posting his own name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

jesus fuckimg christ smythe