Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ErrEff posted:

It does depend on how active the personality is in general but people are encouraged and pushed towards following on multiple fronts of social media. Not everyone will necessarily do that everywhere but for many streamers, the "full course" means seeing them in your YouTube/Twitter/Instagram feeds, etc. - maybe even getting email updates via Patreon or Twitch notifications as well, perhaps also reading the fan subreddit. Constantly engaged, ideally.

Putting yourself out there in as many places as possible also means the various recommendation algorithms can get a better picture of audience trends and direct people towards you based on their preferences.

This is also why it was a bit harder to believe things about Vinny though - he’s been painstakingly private about himself and his life for years. Dude streams, does conventions, and cross-promoted his band. Compared to usual streamers or other social media personalities he’s downright secretive.

Which was also why people were poring over emails or whatever, since that was the main public way to contact him. (And yes, I’m a fan but not super tuned in so I might be wrong.) Parasociality? I guess, maybe. But making up allegations against him has as much creative space to work in as making up tales about the old man in the woods. Vinny was active but in very specific, very measured ways.

Honestly, that’s what I liked about his streams. You got streams of games with jokes and none of the rest of the poo poo that most streamers do, or social media in general. I frankly don’t even know how many Twitch subscribers he had or whatever, there wasn’t announcements or anything. Dude even has some other person running the uploads to YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/actuallylichpit/status/1378168374589542400

the vinesauce thing just gets weirder and weirder (one of the people listed as someone who was nearly taken advantage of by vinny that she heroically saved, was in fact blocked by the person making the doc, has contacted them multiple times about trying to get their name/story out of the doc with no response, talked to vinny and vinny was fully supportive and apologetic and did everything they wanted him to)

Also look at the time stamps. Lichpit’s DMs with this person are from five years ago. Looks like there’s some really really old stuff being dug up and misrepresented to go after Vinny.

From what Lichpit says, it looks like Vinny offered platonic friendship and this unnamed person tried to make a ton of hay out of that. There’s no accusations from Lichpit of Vinny ever crossing any line in any way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

This is completely new to me. When did he do this?

I think Pentyne was saying Dan Avidan did that, not Vinny.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

graventy posted:

I'm not even talking about this particular accusation. I'm talking about the tendency of this thread and the internet as a whole to pick apart every single statement that gets released because 'metoo has been weaponised' as if that is something that legitimately happens.

But that does seem to actually be what's happened here - there have been repeated cases of apparent "victims" (and I'm putting it in quotations because the document says they are victims, and they've come out contradicting that) saying their experiences were misrepresented by people specifically looking to stir up drama with an axe to grind against Vinny. That's WHY it's so loving weird, because everything has pointed to it being that one in a hundred case of actual faked allegations to try and get someone's reputation destroyed, if you go back through the links in this thread about it.

It loving sucks, because it's a shield for the next time accusations come out against anyone. It loving sucks because it makes people doubt victims and because it makes actually rooting out horrible people in our communities harder.

We can't just turn a blind eye to it being weaponized, and we have to fight to emphasize how important and crucial it is that we do listen to victims and that we do demand better from people, even when there are false accusations thrown about. It demands better of us as people, on and offline.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently this is not a new thing for him, if more on the down low:

https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1434601377674588164?s=20

Slayer got away with it because they had enough talent to ensure “Silent Scream” was still a barnburner. This guy does not have remotely the same level of proficiency.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking as another Canadian there are plenty of shitheads that live here and will proudly fly the Confederate flag knowing fully well what it actually means.

Yeah, here was one of like ten articles I got quickly searching CBC news: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/confederate-flag-calgary-park-1.5952763

lots of degens out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ion fury had a homophobic joke in it, people complained, the devs said they would remove it but then backtracked, kept it in and doubled down

shame cause a new game on the build engine was such a cool idea

there was a bunch of hidden messages of transphobia and a bunch of poo poo on the devs' discord, none of which they ever apologized for

honestly "ogay" on a random bottle in a mall level is exactly the kind of silly pun i expect from a build engine game (they are historically full of silly parody "realistic" items and advertisments), and if it wasn't for everything else the devs said it wouldn't have even been an issue