Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna pop in to say please cut Ross some slack for being quiet on this despite his excitement for their recent videos.

CW for some heavy things but His mother recently got told she has a couple months left to live and he won't be able to see her most likely. He's been a mess in his own words and left the internet for a good while because he was having trouble dealing with it. He *just* started to come back to try to distract himself and open up a bit on one of his streams only for this all to happen the very next day. He's vanished again and I don't blame him at all.

Oof. Ross just can't catch a break. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah thats the other thing, whats the motivation to destroy them for jontron's sake? jontron's insanely popular still. he lost nothing by getting kicked off gamegrumps.

OwlFancier posted:

Parasocial relationships really do a number on people's brains huh.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Dan responds

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/677141-game-grumps-dan-avidan-responds-allegations-apology

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Wow, if it was completely and totally made up then Dan made a huge mistake confirming it and then claiming he did nothing wrong! God you loving suck so loving much.

A groomed 17 year old that he kept contact with in order to sleep with when it would be safe to do so who he then immediately dumped isn't "consensual" you despicable fuckwit. Seriously get some loving help.

It was already proven that Dan did not contact her when she was 17 and that text was from her friend. Said text was purposefully misrepresented by the rantgrumps hatesub to appear as it if was from Dan.

However, he has definitely hurt at least one person (Kati). Whether or not it was intentional, I have no idea. But he owes her an apology.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Endorph posted:

none of this matters lol

because in situations where dudes literally have hosed and groomed children the response has been exactly the same. a few days of handwringing and then back to business as usual and everyone is mocking anyone who dared voice complaint. what have we lost here

Nah, the actual groomers get wrung through the ringer and their names are tainted forever. (the Rooster Teeth guy, JewWario, Vic Mignogna, etc.) I can't think of anyone who still speaks favorably of them aside from the most deluded of hardcore fanboys.

This situation with Dan is rather different because no grooming was involved yet it's clear he's done some questionable things which go against his "wholesome nice guy" image.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

as a thirty nine year old man it's just weird to me that anyone is interested in drawing huge distinctions in the events in the timeline that led up to a man in their late thirties with celebrity status having sex with someone who was barely old enough to drink, and then ghosting them afterwards. There's a wide spectrum of that behavior, but the zone it spans is "definitely illegal, super gross abuse of power" all the way to "definitely legal, super gross abuse of power". I am the furthest thing from a powerful celebrity and yet I am still hard pressed to invent many mental situations where I have sex with someone half my age which aren't exploitative, and the ones that do exist are cartoons like "we were the only survivors of a plane crash and were stuck on an island together for years" and even there I sort of imagine the power dynamic might be hosed up unless the younger person was also substantially physically stronger and more capable than me or something.

I also accept that probably many of the rock stars whose music I've enjoyed over the years have done this sort of thing. That's lovely, and means that they were musically talented people who abused that to do gross lovely things, and as these things come to light it inherently causes me to have less interest in revisiting the works of those artists. You can put Crystal Castles very firmly on that list. To me that's just a sort of normal, baseline reaction to finding out that someone is a creep or some work of media was also a product of abuse and suffering.

This is probably it right here. I don't think Dan is malicious, per se, but he likely wants to keep living the "rock star" lifestyle despite the fact that such a lifestyle is now seen as outdated and perhaps a bit problematic at best. Sleeping with younger groupies was "The Thing" they did, so of course he's gonna do it too. Because that's what rock stars do. If I had to guess, that's what has been going through his head and he doesn't see anything wrong with it even though many of the other parties involved do.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Okay, but, why are you trying to guess "what's been going through his head"? Who cares what's going through the head of someone who's being called out for a systemic pattern of abusive behavior?

If you want to try to guess anything, think about how his loving victims feel.

We should care what goes through their heads because if we can understand how abusive people think, we can attack the problem at its source. Not all abusive people are evil or malicious. In fact, I would go as far to say only a small minority of them are. Abusive people are products of a society that encourages abusive behavior. They don't think "I'm going to abuse this person because I am evil," rather, they think "society told me it's okay to behave like this, so I'm going to." We need to understand that if we are to solve this problem.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Okay, to me that's completely reasonable, and if that was the intent of your initial comments I misinterpreted them, it was not the vibe I got but I know inferring things from text about emotionally charged subjects online is hard.

No harm done. I admit I can be bad at articulating my thoughts, especially when it comes to heavy topics like this.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Lol that there are seriously people in this thread stupid enough to think JewWario wouldn't have bounced back exactly like ProJared if he hadn't killed himself.

JewWario committed actual child rape. There's no coming back from that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Violen posted:

theres enough historical coming back from that that i really doubt this tbh lol

I mean, sure, if you go back far enough historically. These days society at large is far less tolerant of that. Not even the snakes at Channel Awesome would be able to cover that up after it broke.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

According to this Reddit thread he got together with his wife when she was 17 and he was 25.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChannelAwesome/comments/8d5t5s/were_there_signs_that_jewwario_was_a_predator/

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

welp there's still joel at least

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

There's a pinned thread on r/Vinesauce. Looking more and more likely that this thing originated from 4chan.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I have to raise an eyebrow whenever someone goes "not gonna take questions about it or provide further details, just trust me on this one fam."

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

Oh really, why's that? Could you spell it out for us?

If they really are a former mod then I don't have reason to doubt their authenticity, but by going "yo I got hot info" and leaving it at that does not help anyone and leaves people to speculate and theorize which can only serve to muddy the waters further.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Like with Dan, I am a little skeeved out at the idea of a guy a few years older than me having sex with people not even old enough to drink, but if everyone involved is an adult and clear on the terms of the relationship then that's really the worst one can say about it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Uggh. I'm 42 and kids that age just - look like kids to me. Nobody under 25 looks like a possible sexual partner to me any more and I think that's probably more normal than the 'um 17 year old girls are at their scientifically hottest everyone knows that' people. I'm a bisexual woman and the most I think when I see a very gorgeous 22-year-old is 'oh what a lovely-looking kid', you know? Like they're not even in my same category. Surely that's more usual than these fuckin creeps.

Yeah. My wife is in my age category and the best thing about that is that we grew up with similar experiences and we have a ton of stuff that we can share and talk about with each other. I'm not gonna say it's impossible to get that same sort of thing with someone a couple generations away from you, but it seems significantly harder.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Friend is following this more than I am but apparently Charon's been changing their vinny story and contradicting themselves a lot about this whole thing. Went from "I left the mod team 2 weeks ago'' to ''they kicked me out yesterday after my post'' and is still apparently listed as a mod right now. That + Ties to GPM I'm kinda leaning away from *that particular* person being trustworthy.

Is there anyone really trustworthy at this point after the other people admitted to kneejerk retweeting without actually reading?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sounds like he realizes that he did probably screw up at some point in his life and he's owning up to that. I can respect that.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Honestly I'm just surprised that Vinny fucks, I assumed he was volcel

I don't think /v/ had anything to do with it tbh. There's some internet detectiving to try to guess who it was that tossed out the original accusation but like, that's about it. The mandalore / shammy thing is probably the weirdest part of all of this tbh since they have like, no connection to vinesauce or that sphere at all

Vinny struck me as someone who's been around the block. Joel, on the other hand, is def volcel.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

this thread loving sucks so much rear end holy moley.

feel free to list your specific grievances

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

RedBard posted:

"that VS isn't Vinny's email icon!" - that's just how yahoo displays most icons

what

a lot of this person's "counter-debunks" are really stupid

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Phone call looking more sus than before now.

https://youtu.be/GJKLZRgBxz4

Even without this it was very audibly obvious that the clips were all spliced together. I'm sort of amazed that the person behind this put in so much effort just to slander an online video game player but did such a lazy job of it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I dunno, seems like if anyone's lying it would be the person/people splicing audio and faking other evidence.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

graventy posted:

I'm not even talking about this particular accusation. I'm talking about the tendency of this thread and the internet as a whole to pick apart every single statement that gets released because 'metoo has been weaponised' as if that is something that legitimately happens.

Unfortunately it is something that legitimately happens and we do need to pick apart every statement that gets released specifically because of that. Giving credence to bad actors is equally as destructive as shutting down real victims.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

graventy posted:

It does not happen, give me a loving break.

*IF* this was entirely false, and in bad faith, guess what? Literally nothing happened to Vinny. He took a week off and issued what sounded like a lovely apology for treating people the way he did, I guess?

*IF* they had been real, what would have happened? Judging by how completely rabid his fanbase has been, probably nothing! He gets de-platformed and then re-platformed somewhere else?

It is incredibly rare that there are any actual long-term consequences to this, even in obvious and blatantly true cases. Incredibly rare.

There ARE long-term consequences to this poo poo, not just to the targets of the false accusations but to real victims who now have to put up with dickheads muddying the waters to settle whatever petty vendettas they have, and you being dismissive like like is incredibly unhelpful.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Is there even a group of people that's like "Well I used to be willing to believe victims making accusations but there's been so many false accusations I don't know who to believe anymore"?

I don't think most people believe victims or even care to begin with, or things like metoo might have gotten some actual traction beyond social media posts.

Can bad actors shut down real victims when people had made up their minds before people even started saying "#metoo"? :shrug:

Uh...yes. Yes there absolutely are. There absolutely are people who use the "false accusation" rhetoric to shut down real victims.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I think those people are going to do it anyways so worrying about what they think is a fool's errand.

"They're just gonna do it anyways" is the worst excuse for inaction. It is the exact same logic anti-gun control pundits use. "Criminals are gonna get guns anyways so why bother doing anything about mass shootings."

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Except... Mass shootings are an issue and false rape accusations pretty much aren't.

The issue is not "false rape accusations." The issue is the culture and ideology surrounding assault and abuse. It is still incredibly hard for victims to get their voices heard and believed because society at large does not want to hear them and will find any excuse they can to not hear them. Certain people take advantage of this status quo for their own personal benefit, which makes it even harder for victims.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

I will grant that taking a fatalistic approach of "people have already made up their mind and aren't persuadable so don't bother trying" might be depressing, but one I still find preferable to the idea of "people can be convinced but I, Acerbatus, just didn't make a good enough case so basically people not believing me was entirely my fault".

Sounds like you've got some things to work on.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Not being able to help somebody who wanted me to tell people about their assault because they were afraid to does weigh on me, true, but I don't think any amount of work is going to change my opinion to worrying about lying whores trying to ruin good men's reputations or whatever the gently caress you're arguing for.

That is not at all what I have been arguing for, friend, and your caustic framing of it is dangerously approaching bad faith territory.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Elaborate on the epidemic of false accusations that mean we need to be extremely vigilant about them then, if you wouldn't mind.

It seems like you've already decided what the situation is so I'd prefer to leave you to that. Since, you know, people can't be persuaded because fatalism and all that.

Edit: Alright, just because I want to be the bigger person, I'll reiterate my position again. The culture surrounding assault and abuse is such that people would rather look for a quick, easy, and most of all comforting answer than confront the hard truth and put forth the effort that follows. It is easy to exploit such a status quo for nefarious purposes, be they personal gain or otherwise. This greatly harms victims of assault and abuse and it is our duty as a society to seek the truth. To bring in rhetoric about "lying whores taking advantage of good innocent men" is the domain of chuds and should be avoided.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 11, 2021

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

some plague rats posted:

The nice thing about this whole vinny vinesauce thing is that he's just some replacement level youtube nerd, even if the allegations seem dubious we can still just throw him straight in the trash and get a new one

You might be a sociopath.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

some plague rats posted:

There are absolutely some people who will say that in any situation regardless, and there are some people who will be saying it less from malice and more from unexamined assumptions because we're stewing in a big vat of rape culture all day every day. One of your favs turning out to be a wrong un is a tough break, and people are naturally inclined to look for a reason why they might actually not have been wrong this entire time

nice rap sheet buddy

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

You've been shitposting this whole time so it's not really a change of routine for you.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

John_A_Tallon posted:

Yeah, people who think a star sleeping with their fans is gross get called weird things like "ethical" and "trustworthy."

They do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Vin :(

I really wish the best for him. He of all people did not deserve this.