Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With all the people coming forward on twitter I've been trying to be supportive to victims but getting depressed at how corrupt some of my favorite scenes were, so decided to take a break and try to watch some channels that weren't about smash or hosted by smash players. Funny enough 'oh right there's that mangs guy. I wonder if he liked three house-' then I saw this thread and welp.

There are some other relatively chill FETubers but most of them have done content with Mangs so there's a reasonable chance of accidentally stumbling on his stupid creep bullshit anywhere you click if you're looking for Fire Emblem videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol when AssCreed Unity was announced with four player co-op, all guys, and people asked 'why no playable women' their response was 'uhhh animations too hard'

What's extra weird about this is that, in Unity's multiplayer, you're always Arno, the main character from the story mode. You see other players as other Assassins, but they always see themselves as Arno and see you as another Assassin. They could've just said "the multiplayer stories are written for the player to be Arno, so we don't have any character customization beyond what's in the main game" and it would've at least been a more understandable answer.

Though recent revelations make it pretty clear that even if it wasn't set up that you're Arno anyway they still wouldn't have let you play as a woman because you have to be a (to quote another tweet from an Ubisoft writer) "straight white alpha male."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CD Projekt has a slew of problems, many of which have been reported on extensively. They're still darlings of The Gamers because they tend to be "consumer friendly," at least in comparison to a lot of other developers, with a lack of cheap microtransaction stuff and generally good DLC and stuff like that. But all of that comes at the cost of a horrendous work culture of perma-crunch and who knows what other bullshit behind the scenes.

And then there's the multi-year history of insanely tone-deaf tweets from their official Cyberpunk account.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'd agree with all the stuff with them being lovely, but the consumer friendliness is definitely not the reason for treating its employees like poo poo. That stuff is just as ubiquitous if not more so with companies that overtly hate their customers.

That's true, and I didn't mean to suggest it's one or the other, though I definitely ended up writing it that way :v:

The truth is that any company can afford to be as consumer-friendly as CDPR without doing ultra-crunch but they just don't because if they're not making all of the money all of the time, they're "failing." CDPR gets a lot of points from gamers for being as consumer-friendly as they are but their horrific work culture overrides all of that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus christ Ubisoft, what the gently caress

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah it is remarkable how little effort it would take from AAA game makers to avoid the bad press they get, but nope they will, always choose the evil option because 9 times out of 10 there is such an option it gets them very slightly more money at that very moment. Capitalism working as designed.

Really until the negative press actually has an effect on their profits, they're just going to keep doing what they're doing. They could avoid all the negative press, sure, but they're still making boatloads of money no matter how much negative press there is, so where's the motivation to change? So they just keep churning and burning their talent and keep up their sexist, harasser-filled work cultures, because so far nothing's actually punished them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

assassin's creed music quiz? its all generic blockbuster orchestra

I'll go to bat for Syndicate's music because Austin Wintory rules and he's really, really good at contextual music cues

Well I guess the early AC games with Jesper Kyd's music are pretty great, too. But other than that it's all very :shrug:

(The sea shanties from Black Flag are good but they don't count because they're actual historical sea shanties and weren't written for the game)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is making me think about Evie in Syndicate, who had potential to be a great character but whose story was entirely subservient to Jacob's, even in the DLC where she's the only playable character. Everything she does in the whole game and the DLC is just cleaning up Jacob's messes after he drives the story forward. It was really frustrating.

acksplode posted:

...and to sideline Bayek early on and have you play the rest of Origins as his wife.

I actually like Bayek but this would've been cool as hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well thats the one where the dumbshit talked about "white alpha male" so that explains it.

gently caress I didn't know it was that game specifically

Evie was so much cooler and more fun than Jacob and if she'd been the only playable character that game would've been so much better. gently caress

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i would have almost liked a half and half or so type deal. plus more outfits/weapons customization for her and him.

Yeah unlike Syndicate, Bayek/Aya would've actually been a cool duo to split the story between since they're both good and interesting characters with cool roles in the story

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well at least I know not to listen to this dude now. Curiosity killed the cat in my case.

Posting this kind of thing has been a pattern for you in this thread and I don't think it's healthy for the thread as a whole. Please don't post in this thread anymore. I'm not going to probate you now, but you will be if you post in this thread again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'll be honest, I never thought I'd ever be in the position to wonder, "Did the Blizzard guys name their rapey hotel suite after a rapist on purpose, or did they name their rapey hotel suite after a rapist coincidentally?"

Makes the brain short circuit a bit, that one.

In the end it doesn't matter why they called it that, but, christ

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 28, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To paraphrase one of the replies I saw to Greg's tweets: nobody has ever un-hosed themselves through tweeting. Log off (or don't and keep digging deeper, no skin off my back).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New Super Metis posted:

I'm afraid I don't really understand the point you guys are arguing over at this point, but I think it's getting away from the purpose of the thread. There is a newly made thread on Blizzard's Labor practices and Activision etc, which i think would be a better place for this discussion.

I'm on mobile so I'll edit in a link in a min

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979418
Here it is. I guess its more just on Blizzard's whole deal but I do want to keep this specific thread more.focused

Yeah, just want to reinforce this. I think discussions of unionization and general labor issues, especially around Blizzard, are a better fit for that thread, to keep this thread on its original topic. Plus that new Blizzard thread could use some posts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Little posting tip: if at any point you find yourself typing "devil's advocate, but..." about unequal pay, sexual harassment, and/or assault in the goddamn #MeToo thread, reconsider.