Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

double nine posted:

So just from a theoretical point of view, how do you fix this except by firing everyone who has the smallest piece of authority or rank and restarting the company from scratch?
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You know given what Ubisoft is like I'm pretty sure good performance in anything approaching a management position definitely indicates that you're also a monster, so elevating people from there would not help. Fire every single person who had authority over anyone else.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

CD Projekt has a slew of problems, many of which have been reported on extensively. They're still darlings of The Gamers because they tend to be "consumer friendly," at least in comparison to a lot of other developers, with a lack of cheap microtransaction stuff and generally good DLC and stuff like that. But all of that comes at the cost of a horrendous work culture of perma-crunch and who knows what other bullshit behind the scenes.

And then there's the multi-year history of insanely tone-deaf tweets from their official Cyberpunk account.
I'd agree with all the stuff with them being lovely, but the consumer friendliness is definitely not the reason for treating its employees like poo poo. That stuff is just as ubiquitous if not more so with companies that overtly hate their customers.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

That's true, and I didn't mean to suggest it's one or the other, though I definitely ended up writing it that way :v:

The truth is that any company can afford to be as consumer-friendly as CDPR without doing ultra-crunch but they just don't because if they're not making all of the money all of the time, they're "failing." CDPR gets a lot of points from gamers for being as consumer-friendly as they are but their horrific work culture overrides all of that.
Yeah it is remarkable how little effort it would take from AAA game makers to avoid the bad press they get, but nope they will, always choose the evil option because 9 times out of 10 there is such an option it gets them very slightly more money at that very moment. Capitalism working as designed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

It's hard to overstate how completely standard this is. Like, every company in Japan tends to have ties to the Yakuza past a certain size, especially ones that existed during Japan's boom period.
This is also very common with US companies over a certain age. Like Rockwell employees were paid in unmarked cash envelopes up into the 80s.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

precision posted:

And then TLOU2 has a trans character and gets heat for the character not being good enough
I'm sure this is a completely honest post and not by one of the people who was bigotted enough to just assume Abby was the trans character because buff woman.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

precision posted:

It actually is. I'm nonbinary and I think TLOU2 is good. Sorry?
Sorry just sounded like a "it will never be good enough for them" post.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People claiming that making fun of French people is racism because there is actual harmful stuff occasionally done to French people are like people claiming that misandry exists because male specific issues exist. Yes the problem you are identifying exists but it isn't racism and it isn't even remotely comparable to racism in either how it applies or its impact.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Almost like saying "this person can't be an abuser because of X trait" is exactly how abusers are able to maintain cover.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I just don't think there is much of a correlation if only because in the last round of these rapist outings all of them did present as sex-positive publicly. Specifically when it came to light that all the free love fantasy and sci-fi authors active in the 1980s were rapists or pedophiles.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also did they like directly show those on their youtube vids? Even with context it's not looking great for respecting the privacy of the uploader. Yeah they put up the video but they didn't share it to the whole channel audience.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

theoretically, yes

lol if you think anyone hes victimized has the money for a court case or the desire to expose themselves to millions of internet weirdos tho
Also for a judge or jury to not just acquit him like they normally do. Because for some reason judges tend to sympathizer more with rapists than survivors.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well due to Disco Elysium the Chapos are technically voice actors.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Reporters job is to turn other people's suffering into advertising dollars. So it's in their interest to avoid people criticizing how the sausage is made.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I don't give a poo poo what two consenting adults do, I want to know if he's actually grooming people. All I've seen is a cordial, platonic text message with a 17 year old then a 4 year time skip where he's sending her a hot tub video.

Also this master post is poo poo. At no point was anybody saying they didn't consent, nobody said they were underage, every text message is enthusiastic between participants. The only evidence in this tumblr post is that Dan's a player and breaks hearts. It's rude, but not abuse.
This just in emotional abuse not real, and loving someone under false pretenses is cool.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 22, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

King Vidiot is just the latest in a series of people, most of whom have been probated. The Sexual Assault and the Culture of Hollywood thread for some reason has been even worse about assuming video game man innocent because reddit bad.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

too late tho, the whole 'CANCEL CULTURE PWNED AGAIN' narrative is basically already formed. people dont give a poo poo about awful behavior so long as it isnt a literal crime
We both know they also do it when a literal crime is committed, legal technicality is just a convenient bad faith defense.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 24, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lol that there are seriously people in this thread stupid enough to think JewWario wouldn't have bounced back exactly like ProJared if he hadn't killed himself.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah JW was a loving piece of poo poo. also didnt dan olson say some weird poo poo about how he knew about it but didnt say poo poo because "it might be used against them" or some weird poo poo. i swore he posted it in one of the critic threads. also no i am not talking about the KW/Gamer gate lie about pedo poo poo with him. i am talking about some different thing.
Other people at CA besides Doug only learned after Wario was dead and in the ground. The one victim they had contact with didn't want it public at that time. So nothing was made public until it was found out later.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I mean, sure, if you go back far enough historically. These days society at large is far less tolerant of that. Not even the snakes at Channel Awesome would be able to cover that up after it broke.
Nah Vic hosed plenty of kids and it took how long and how dedicated of a campaign of removing him from cons for it to do anything? People are still winging about the different ways the kids MJ definitely hosed were liars. If someone has made content above a certain level of popularity ruining their career is impossible. The only thing that would have harmed it is actualyl going to prison, and not because people would actually believe the victims but just due to the physical impediments to producing videos while in prison.

Hell going to prison for literal murder hasn't eliminated all the Varg stans.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's only cancelling when it happens to a man. The admin was a woman.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rarity posted:

Counterpoint: JK Rowling
gently caress you right

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

super-redguy posted:

Her star might have fallen amongst a lot of people, but she's still effectively insulated from being cancelled. Having all that money and the clout of being HP's author does a lot.
The discussion was not people seeing actual repercussions but when the reddit crowd views it as acceptable. They don't see being mad at JK for being a transphobe as acceptable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

EA is apparently fairly good from the viewpoint of conditions. Given their MTX fuckery, they have an incentive to avoid whistleblowers anyway.
I don't think we have any reports of sexual harassment stuff, but we've have a fairly large number of people talking about ea having the same inhumane work hours as other western devs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Activision Blizzard is just taking shot after shot these days. Whatever happens with this, its definitely gonna hurt them.

Not to put a damper on things but... Apparently Epstein's put names and addresses of people he had connections with and wanted connections with. So this could just be nothing.
Nah this is just a dodge by powerful pedos trying to pretend he wasn't their supplier.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

didn't he also do that at Riot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Noob Saibot posted:

Why don’t you go advocate for real change instead of crying on an internet message board and attacking me. I was being civil and I’m on the side of the employees not that I give a poo poo what you think

I also like how I’m “making poo poo up” because thinking there could be a reason outside of the narrative inside your head is too scary to contemplate
Why would you tell people to go outside instead of arguing on an internet forum, when you yourself are arguing on that same forum instead of going outside? What makes someone who disagrees with you more of a poster? Why is it that people not agreeing with you requires they be delusional?

edit: in fact the overwhelming majority of your posts seem to be complaining about how other people most.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 16, 2021