Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Hub Cat posted:

Its not just sex crimes, financial abusers will tell you all about how their victim is bad with money so they just have to keep it safe you see? Physical abusers, Well she said mean things and maybe she shoved me so I had to hit her it was just self defense and even if it wasn't she deserved it!. And So on and So on :smithicide: Same with workplace bullies and child abusers. Its part ego defense and part deflection.

The Jicks and Alexis Kennedys of the world are just skilled enough writers to mostly hide it behind their language.

Going back to this point, has there ever been a high profile harassment/abuse case where the apology was anything other than the abuser trying to save face and protect their reputation? I would rather these people wander off and never show their face in public again, when the alternative is writing things that discredit the victims. The whole thing seems completely self-serving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean as of right now, it hasnt really worked. i havent seen him in any major projects. he will probably make some kinda bullshit rebound in a year or two though.

nah. most of these guys are legit incapable of self reflection so its mostly gonna always be "i didn't do poo poo except date her" or something along those lines. i mean some like alex fully break and top themselves when the walls start falling down.

Yeah I suppose if someone is sincerely repentant it probably wouldn't get to the point of a public call-out in the first place.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

God forbid an artist be horny towards their own character

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mycot posted:

You have to admit your own character getting molested for losing a round is not the best look for this thread.

This thread is about people who have been hurt and violated in real life, not about people drawing kinks you don't approve of. Trying to correlate one with the other is insulting to everyone involved

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wendell posted:

You do this constantly. You want to keep games and anime as creep-pandering as possible and hide behind, “actually, WOMEN are involved!!!! Women LOVE it!!!! Women are sad you said that :(

I’m going to finally put you on ignore, as I am completely sick of seeing your disingenuous posts all across the board.

Endorph is a woman

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That poor child. What an evil thing to do

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

The sooner you understand that literally every human being on this planet is awful to some degree the happier you'll be. Well, that's a lie, you won't be happy at all, but it makes it a lot easier to go through life in a sort of haze of apathy.

Awful to some degree, sure, but for most people that's like "telling a lie to their parents" or "not paying taxes on cash income". Sexual assault is kind of another level.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Well, among other things, false accusations usually fall apart very quickly. Even if you falsely accuse someone you're probably going to gently caress up somewhere pretty obvious because it's a lot harder to smear someone than you'd think. The vast majority of the time this happens it falls apart pretty easily because the person can relatively easily prove where they were or what they were doing.

Yeah I don't think there's ever been a single accusation against a high profile person that turned out to be false, since MeToo started

E: also the idea that anyone might create a false accusation specifically for trolling, and thus be insulated from the blowback, is laughable. Maybe if the only risk for the accuser was people saying mean things, but considering we live in a world where reddit detectives will find where you live and call a swat team on you, or someone might straight up murder you, you'd have to be the dumbest loving person on earth to issue a false accusation against a high profile person

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 4, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kanos posted:

This is pretty much the completely inevitable result of a community involving children mixing with adult strangers with almost zero supervision or oversight or even basic sanity controls like "maybe we shouldn't bring minors to afterparties with booze?". The most staggering thing to me isn't that it happened(which, for the record, is absolutely horrifying), it's that the laissez-faire approach was allowed to continue for so goddamn long and allow this kind of stuff to happen.

Katie's interaction with Zero is terrifying because I struggle to think of a safeguard that would have prevented it. She messaged her idol just to chat, and then he did terrible things to her over that channel. It could only have been stopped if she'd been able to recognize what was happening immediately AND felt empowered and safe enough to call it out and stop it. Which, again, is why believing and supporting victims is so important.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gonna be epic when the government that put actual rapists into both its highest executive and highest judiciary positions comes down to regulate the sexual abuse in the gaming community

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dias posted:

I'm reminded of the weird period in the speedrunning thread where people where preemptively apologizing for sharing content because what if this guy turns out to be a shithead? What if I didn't know this guy was a shithead and shared his content?

I reflexively check to see if people have done shady poo poo before sharing stuff from someone I'm unfamiliar with nowadays. On some level it's stressful just to know that so many people have done so much harm. It makes it hard to trust public figures. And admittedly part of it is that I don't want a scolding from others if I didn't perform due diligence.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

There is literally no way to know that someone is an abuser if their victim doesn't come forward. Zero. That's the entire point of the movement, the entire point of saying "Believe victims". It could be the extraordinarily generous and polite manager, it could be the man who obviously treats the women around him like eye candy and creates a hostile work environment in the process. It could be a completely average seeming woman who was having sex with an young boy. It could be Yoko Taro. It could be the guy who stands around home depot's parking lot waiting for someone to hire him for an odd job. Nobody knows, until the victims come out and say something.

So, how do you folks, who say "X person would never do it", think that victims feel when they read you say that? Do you think that's a helpful statement to make? Or do you think that it might cause victims to think, "nobody would believe me if I said anything, they all love this person".

Don't speculate about who may or may not be an abuser. I know you're saying "none of those victims will read this thread on a dying forum", but if you say things like that here then maybe you do it in real life too, and maybe it affects the victims of the small time non-famous abusers who are around you. So just stop.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Polaron posted:

More on Ryan Haywood, another accuser has spoken up: "She says she lost her virginity to him when she was underage, and he took the condom off half way through without her consent. Includes chatlogs and photos of him in a hotel room. The birthdate on her IG (if accurate) confirms she was 17 when she alleges they had sex. Says he never asked her age before sex even though he knew she was very young, and when she told him afterwards that she was underage, he seemed unbothered. Also says that she has spoken to other fans with very similar stories to hers; all teenagers, all starstruck Ryan fans, mostly virgins, all with mental health issues and insecurities that Ryan was aware of and preyed on, suggesting a pattern in his choice of fan and his behaviour if these accounts are true."

So yeah, he's a piece of poo poo.

Can you give the link to where she said this, please?

Mod edit: spoilered graphic content in quoted post

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 10, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Looking way back at the first page of this thread, it seems like "on topic" for it is
1) posting news about newly discovered abusers
2) shooting down extraordinarily awful posts

So I honestly don't know if we need the thread at all? It's not like we're going to solve the problem here. If a victim confides in you irl, believe and support them. Don't cover up for abusers. What else is there to say?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Would they even care if they did know?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

the way a lot of these people deploy gamergate as a shield whenever their own ethics are questioned is terrible, and its pretty constant

Yeah, people who have done wrong but just happen to be "woke" always use the specter of "bad guys" as why you shouldn't criticize them. Or at least their apologists will.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

r kelley videotaped himself raping a 14 year old and still saw massive widespread success

6ix9ine videotaped himself and another man raping a 13 year old and released a #1 single last fuckin year

there is absolutely coming back from that because the world is poo poo

How are these people not dead/imprisoned??? Like I know the justice system is all kinds of hosed but if there's videotapes how is that not open and shut

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Endorph posted:

buddy theres places in the world where child rapists can literally forcibly marry the preteen they assaulted and the courts will approve it

its a far off third world country called the uessay. sounds like a terrible place.

http://apps.frontline.org/child-marriage-by-the-numbers/

gently caress

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Eason the Fifth posted:

lol an SA mod used it relatively recently in a thread that was dedicated to explaining how mods are not, actually, all child molesters. Fluffdaddy banned him for it, I'm pretty sure.

:psyduck: why does this keep happening

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

He could easily get a real job too. Most companies aren't going to look you up. I don't think this is is nearly the horrible punishment that he thinks it is

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

One wonders why said coworker seems ok with jokes about their own wife. Don't even respect the woman they married I guess?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's bad enough when your assaulter was some random dude you only met once, I can't imagine what it would be like to be coworkers with them :smith:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want shorter, uglier games made by people who are being payed more to work less because they will make better games that way.

What if we had long, pretty, grandiose games made by people who are paid well and adequately staffed and scheduled so that nobody is overworked.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Ancient Egypt had a corveé system, peasants weren’t exactly free in the modern definition. That said, feudal peasants are often not considered slaves.

it turns out forced labor is a spectrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

That post is calling the victim the r-word? Or the assaulter?