Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

StrixNebulosa posted:

Congratulations thread, you've made me furiously angry before but never sick to my stomach, that's a new low

I instantly stopped what I was doing and just sat down for a while after seeing that picture of Puppeh. That whole situation is just hosed up beyond recognition, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Acerbatus posted:

High profile streamers are more likely to let fame go to their head.

I can say pretty certainly (to the extent that I don't know him but have watched/followed Reckful for years now) that this isn't the case with him, necessarily. At least not in a way that impacts this. He's always had trouble with depression and things go way worse after his oldest brother (he was the youngest of three) killed himself when he was younger.

Dude has had multiple live conversations with Dr. Kanojia of Healthygamer.gg that are extremely worthwhile watches if you have ever had issues with existential depression, though they can be triggering given their candid nature.

Not wholly relevant to the #MeToo situation but definitely wanted to mention that stuff specifically since a lot of this poo poo has been taking a toll on me and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Hub Cat posted:

Y'all either need to read that manifesto or never ever read it.
Just absolutely hosed on every level.

Got about 5 minutes into this loving 10k word document and am gonna say if you have any experience with trauma whatsoever you should definitely land on the never ever read it side, because jesus loving christ.

Just impossibly hosed up.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Hub Cat posted:

He posted a new thing. Its exactly the kind of monstrous woe is me victim blaming drivel you would expect.
https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sraeo2

I physically reacted when I opened that and saw the header is No One is Innocent. I genuinely never thought I'd see a pedophile be so brazen and flippant about something like this--I don't even know how to process it, yet.

Like, gently caress.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think it's particularly demanding to ask people not to present sexually explicit material in large public venues.

Fundamentally this, regardless of if there's children involved or not (though, especially if there are). Unless there are clear expectations put in place that the environment is going to have these things, it absolutely actively creates a hostile environment--whether or not it makes it harder for people to feel comfortable speaking out (it does).

For the same reason the kink community polices this kind of poo poo heavily, and even places like furry conventions actively restrict explicit activities/content to places where it's only visible to people who consent to see it. Any motherfucker who rolls up to an All Ages space with any kind of sexually explicit anything on display is a sex pest. Certainly not to the same degree that we've been seeing at length recently, but subjecting people to your kinks without consent is mad hosed up.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Mega Comrade posted:

and carbon monoxide poisoning

What the literal gently caress

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

John_A_Tallon posted:

Is there anything to be done besides name and shame until they're too toxic for advertisers and distributors to work with?

Given that that outcome is often best-case scenario, I think the answer is 'probably not'.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hoo boy that's hosed

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for "being unreasonable" and causing my husband to storm out?

Is there like, context for this that I'm missing? Is this supposed to be related to the GPB situation?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

I know the crash from a self righteous high can be pretty bad but let's not pretend nothing ever matters or can ever change. At the very least the lesson here is that you should treat these matters with the gravity they deserve, which includes confirming from as primary a source as you can find before going off half cocked.

The most consistently valuable thing about the thread is it functioning as a honeypot for posters with just awful, dogshit, bafflingly persistent opinions and dispositions. It constantly blows my mind how easy it would be to just, like, Not Post, and not make sure the community knows you're a defender of sex creeps, but here we are.

Another posted made a point a few pages back about how "poking a hole" in one piece of the situation seems to be more than enough for most people to just shoot down the entire idea that these claims are legitimate, and it's so consistently true that once you start seeing it you can't stop seeing it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

fancy stats posted:

Its more that people who bring up "what about false accusations" are typically not approaching the conversation in good faith.

Echoing as well: It's this.

Endorph posted:

like bro idk how to tell you that walking into a #metoo thread to yell at a rape victim about how nobody will ever care about rape and thats just an objective fact of reality, is bad

Hey I think this is an unfair characterization of what Acerbatus is saying, and kind of sucks to throw at someone.

I think the point is--and this is certainly true in personal experience--there are a huge number of people who will bend over backwards to reframe a situation so that it's the victims fault, like we all know how victim blaming works, and even if the venn diagram between these people and the people who start talking about false accusations when allegations come up isn't a full circle, it's pretty loving close.

Like there's a difference between the kinds of discussions happening around this--given that the situation seems, genuinely more complicated than usual, I guess?--and the kind of posters that always show up after new poo poo comes out ready to litigate the gently caress out of every bit of evidence in some effort to save face for the fav or some equally inane poo poo. The former isn't the problem, the latter is.

edit: hoo boy there were a lot of posts in between when I started and when I posted, okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope how egregiously terrible this one guy was doesn't end up with a half-hearted "cleaning house" "just a few bad apples" that we've seen in other studios (cw: descriptions of sexual assault)

https://twitter.com/Treasureeeee/status/1419684879978176518

I would be deeply, deeply surprised if we see anything close to cleaning house, and not at all surprised if the best we get from the company's perspective is some bullshit lies about "appropriate punishments" and new training, at least until the court case plays out--and assuming they lose it.

That being said we haven't seen this situation with a state lawsuit involved (AFAIK) so maybe it'll be substantially different. My expectation is probably a sacrificial firing or two and some "significant restructuring and policy changes" or some similarly meaningless corporate speak