Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I think there's some level of sincerity behind that hot take - almost every abuser was abused themselves, this is learned behavior. Witch hunts are not beneficial, they make people who are in the wrong potentially double down and believe they are being slighted.

Ultimately in an ideal world they'd get help and break the cycle, rather than be enabled for a decade then get publicly shamed and end it all. It requires a lot more open communication and hopefully this is the first lurch in that direction. There will be many moments that come from this which are not public and are beneficial - potential victims that are able to read the signs, potential abusers that realise they need help.
It's really important to keep the conversation open to both sides - how to recognise when you're being abused, and how to notice when you are inadvertently doing it to others.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You're both taking stances at total opposite ends of the spectrum. What the gently caress are each of you trying to achieve?

Do you actually want to help people, further a meaningful conversion, or just argue about who's got the most correct opinions?
Shitloads of peoples lives are ruined on both sides. The conversation should be how can people who play, talk about and work in games prevent this from happening and offer support to hopefully make it happen less.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's sad that one person with bad opinions in this thread made pretty much everyone in it so hostile. It's already ruined.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ojo posted:

To try to reset the hostility a little... if you believe that these accusations are made up, what would it take for you to believe the women reporting their experiences?

You're trying to reset the hostility so it starts over, yeah?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I can't bring myself to be that surprised. The stories going around about him and how much he drinks, the company he keeps, the bridges he's burning with wild lawsuits.
Success went to his head a long time ago. Unfortunate that nobody called him out and it went this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it's not surprising at all and unfortunately I fear this'll get buried as he's still such an industry darling

I get the impression his consulting roles are getting shorter and shorter. He's not being kept for anything long term these days, I think people are already avoiding working with him. Maybe some fans will still put him on a pedestal but hes not taking on lead staff roles.