Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Vando posted:

Honestly? The fact that dude is in the position to hit it off that closely with someone so young is a massive red flag to me. Sure it may not manifest in their relationship in any way but why at that age would you even consider a teenager as a prospective partner in the first place?

The actual worst part of aging, at least as a woman who has ever dated men, is reaching the ages where your inappropriately older partners were when you met them and realizing exactly how disgusting they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

As an aside, since this keeps getting mentioned: suffering from mental illness is not correlated with being an abuser, and neither is being the survivor of abuse. They both fail even the most cursory of sniff tests if you know anything about either abuse survivor or mental illness statistics but they continue to be two incredibly pervasive myths that get bandied around whenever this stuff comes up.

An abuser's value system is what is unhealthy, not their psychology.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Folks, chill the gently caress out and try to steer back to the actual thread topic please. And if you want to post like you're in CSPAM, go do it in CSPAM.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

new phone who dis posted:

Nobody ever gets absolutely better but there are two factors to consider here:

1. This person was admittedly unwell and in and out of treatment.

2. Mental illness symptoms often manifest as abuse and people relapse.

I mentioned this many pages ago and it seems worth bringing up again:

Reene posted:

As an aside, since this keeps getting mentioned: suffering from mental illness is not correlated with being an abuser, and neither is being the survivor of abuse. They both fail even the most cursory of sniff tests if you know anything about either abuse survivor or mental illness statistics but they continue to be two incredibly pervasive myths that get bandied around whenever this stuff comes up.

An abuser's value system is what is unhealthy, not their psychology.

Additionally, abusers have famously bad recidivism rates and traditional therapy (which is to say any therapy that is not specifically aimed at abusers) will often do absolutely nothing to stop then from being abusive and can in many cases actually make them worse.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

This thread is not about Zoe Quinn. At this point you need to stop laser-focusing on Zoe Quinn's alleged sins specifically and attempting to dredge up every GG-era "just asking questions" misdirection. Also stop misgendering them.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I literally just got home twenty minutes ago and doing Mod Stuff on my phone is difficult to impossible. Sorry. I also admit that this thread can be a really tough read for me personally sometimes, and sometimes I just have to put it down and do something else for a bit, which can be a problem when the thread is moving so quickly.

It would be my strong preference that people report the really flagrantly gross stuff instead of piling on for pages and pages. It's a bunch of garbage, I agree that it's a bunch of garbage, it can be fun to kick the garbage over and set it on fire, but then you have a thread that could be a useful place to talk about serious problems in the industry turn into dunking on the dude making the same tired, lazy GamerGate talking points we've all seen before.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Jippa posted:

Sex pest seems like one of those tabloid terms that nobody ever actually uses like "romp".

I use it fairly frequently to refer to creepy and predatory behavior, especially in online spaces, because that's often how it starts. Predatory people rarely leap straight to assault, rape, stalking/doxxing, and egregious abuse; they often test the waters by gradually escalating behaviors intended to see how far they can go with both potential victims and those who might witness the behavior.

This is part of why it's so very important to call that behavior out early and make it clear it's not welcome. What might seem incidental or not a big deal might throw a lot of red flags to someone familiar with the pattern, and that can lead to a lot of frustrating cries of things being blown out of proportion.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Patware posted:

on the other hand, when you have pests in your house, you carefully protect everything you love and then fill it with toxic gas until all life within has been obliterated

Pretty much.

Bedbugs are pests. Are you particularly chill about having bedbugs in your house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Your Console Sucks. Video Games FYAD from the past.

e: Also apparently an offsite.

Worth noting that one of the reasons YCS was deleted is because it was host to torrents of exactly that kind of odious poo poo. Just distilled Edgy Gamer Culture.