Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

All things considered, I can't entirely say that this might not be justified. PUA/desperate incel types are willing to do some pretty vile poo poo in the name of getting laid.

I meant more that violent "my territory has been infringed upon" pushback that characterizes how men react to women trying to get a foothold in their traditional domains, though.

It's a legit fear given how many "progressive" dudes turn out to be abusers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pyromancer posted:

Why do men applying to join our "all men are trash!" club turn out to be self-hating weirdos or creeps with ulterior motives? :iiam:

Feminism isn't an "all men are trash!" club.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ka0 posted:

The link might be but the tweets and the the person that quoted them aren't. But go ahead with your dogpiling, have a ball.

How did you end up coming across that article?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ka0 posted:

I'm not a gamergate enthusiast. Also I haven't attacked anyone in this thread.

How did you end up coming across that article?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Methinks maybe the GBS guy with a million probations is 'taking us for a ride' as they say.

Definitely gonna assume good faith from the person too racist for gbs.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's very important when discussing sex crimes to establish that the victim was no angel.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pylons posted:

They're a mixed bag. Yes, they removed lootboxes, but also they have some horribly scummy "coupons" as a daily log-in bonus that really push you to spend money on them (because they expire in a day), and it also feels (though I have no proof of this) like they deliberately start giving you more of the "engagement" log-in rewards (like a credit booster) when you haven't logged in as much.

They absolutely do.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I'm not sure how best to describe Warframe's pay-to-win model, yes you can pay directly for power, but all the paid options are horrifically inefficient values, and feel much more like trap options for nailing people with very poor self control.

Like in a comparison between a veteran player with high game knowledge and little RMT cash, and a novice player with little game knowledge and alot of RMT cash, the former will completely trounce the latter at all levels of power.

Nailing people with very poor self control is a big part of the free to play model.

Warframe is good but I don't like stuff like 72 hour timers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Everyone thinks they're gonna be the one playing the economy, I'm not sure how many people manage to follow through.

I like Path of Exile's system but I don't know how they make money with it, I guess people really want those cosmetics?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

a lot of the worst people that have been outted, are partnered Twitch streamers, and I am wondering why Twitch is protecting them, instead of banning these accounts or at least removing their partnership. Same goes for Youtube. By doing nothing with these partnered accounts, these companies are saying what they did is acceptable and okay.

Youtube's algorithm actively promotes scumbags. It their part of their business model.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhYT5Lgp98

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wow, so it turns out people calling out the sexist dialogue in the Arkham games were right all along. Shocking.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Accidentally using a raised black fist to represent the protestors who are being manipulated into bringing down the noble government.

Nothing weird here.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

I really wish they just had an entirely separate internet for everyone under 18, it would make life so much better for everyone. This isn't even the first youtube guy to have his life ruined because a girl lied about her age and then later cashed it in for cancel points once she felt guilty.

:chloe:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Someone in the Games chat thread caught a probation for calling out that game dev who thinks there's a female conspiracy to destroy video games so I'd hold back until the mods define what actually means.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Well in that case: the lead designer of Hogwarts Legacy absolutely belongs here and those Youtube thumbnails are damning as hell.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Why not create a separate "chuds in gaming" thread to leave this one focused on #metoo?

Imagine the first ten pages of this thread but with more plausible deniability for all the horrible people who immediately rush in to shitpost.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

quote:

“I stand by the fact that any interactions that took place of a sexual nature with the person in question were done so when she was 22 years old and we were both consenting adults,” Dan said. “To claim I engaged in any predatory behavior is simply untrue. I have made mistakes in the past, and I apologize if my actions or words ever made anyone upset, but those mistakes were never ill-intentioned, exploitative or illegal in any capacity.”

Not the best answer. Pretty bad actually.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, good luck getting any traction against a popular first party developer :smith:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seems like that kind of culture would have a noticeable effect on Blizzard's storytelling, I wonder if there were any subtle hints...

(gently caress them and gently caress Ubisoft.)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Isn't GameXplain the youtube channel that had a mass exodus because they were treating their staff so poorly?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want shorter, uglier games made by people who are being payed more to work less because they will make better games that way.

I have bad news about the customer base for buying video games.

(They are bad people who don't care about any kind of morality)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think it would be fair to say the vast majority of consumers are completely and totally unaware of the conditions involved in the creation of videogames. That doesn't guarantee that they won't care if they're informed, nor does it necessarily suggest that they would be unwilling to make purchasing decisions based on such information, but they also aren't going to seek that information on their own.

As it often does it comes down to a messaging battle. Unfortunately the money dumped into getting people hyped for the next big release completely crushes the money available for telling people that the conditions are horrendous and the pay is terrible.

For instance the way Ubisoft managed to bury all their bad news with strategic video game trailer releases and now have pretty much gotten away with being a shithole.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Veotax posted:

Remember those allegations that came out against Heavy Rain & Detroit developer Quantic Dream? They sued two of the French newspapers that published the story.
They won the suit against one of the papers but not in a way that disproved the allegations, just in a way that said that their reporting wasn't sufficient for the allegations, mostly because they wouldn't reveal their sources to the court.

Quantic Dream lost the suit against the other paper, by the way.

Well they have the Star Wars license now so expect this story to be even more buried.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Given his connections I would take that death threat from Bobby Kotick super loving seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A Big... Dog posted:

Fuckin grinds my gears that people are still calling this rear end in a top hat "Bobby", like he's the little prince of his wickle world. Fuckin "Robert" please when you're talking about a abusive billionaire, thanks media

Also retire, bitch

Good news, early retirement is probably about as close to justice as this guy is gonna get.