Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Finally the event we've all been waiting for: A prequel to Jim Henson's 1982 cult film Dark Crystal.

It's some time before the events of the film and the Gelflings - who have been exterminated by the start of the original - are alive and under the rule of the Skeksis. It follows Rian (Taron Edgerton), Brea (Anya Taylor Joy) and Deet (Nathalie Emmanuel) on their quests that gradually bring them together.

The cast is absolutely all star with Jason Isaacs as The Emperor, Simon Pegg as The Chamberlain, Mark Hamill as The Scientist and tonnes of other names that people will recognise.

I'm only three episodes in and it's been great so far. The characters have a lot to say, they're all still puppets and the amount of practical effect work is genuinely incredible. I wouldn't say having seen Dark Crystal itself is a must to watch the show but if you haven't then you won't be as impressed by Simon Pegg's absolutely spot on impression of The Chamberlain.
It's also all been made here in the UK so enjoy our last ever show before Brexit fucks the film industry forever.

Here's a link to a list of the Skeksis and Mystics. It's spoilery, don't read it unless you've seen the last episode!

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

It was honestly amazing how this was so good. I guess having the Frouds and Hensons onboard allowed them to capture everything that made the original so great. My husband would walk by (wouldn’t watch with me boo) and keep commenting on how impressed he was with it visually. Also Simon Pegg was absolutely perfect as Chamberlain. If I hadn’t known it was him I would have just assumed they got the same actor from the movie.

I’m going to again recommend the Creation Myths comic; with the show and movie it provides a good beginning-middle-end to the franchise.

Also going to again tell you how much I love the Heretic and the Wanderer and the fact that they have puppets putting on a puppet show for other puppets.

:kiss:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Labes for days posted:

It was honestly amazing how this was so good. I guess having the Frouds and Hensons onboard allowed them to capture everything that made the original so great. My husband would walk by (wouldn’t watch with me boo) and keep commenting on how impressed he was with it visually. Also Simon Pegg was absolutely perfect as Chamberlain. If I hadn’t known it was him I would have just assumed they got the same actor from the movie.

Yea I'm down with Mark Hamill being a good voice actor and he did as I expected but I genuinely didn't see that from Pegg until now, really shockingly good.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

As someone with 0 nostalgia for the Dark Crystal (saw it for the first time this year), it's nice with some proper fantasy with wacky designs and no humans

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this show is a super fun watch and the sets are amazing

and yea it’s really awesome how spot on pegg is with the chamberlain

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I didn't watch any of the trailer's for this show as I wanted to go in as blind as possible, I've always had a soft spot for the original film (often arguing that it was far superior to Labyrinth) but I wasn't prepared to be quite so enthrealled by it, It's the first show I've watched in a long time where if it was on I wouldn't occasionally reach for my phone, it completely nailed the look of the original film and improved upon with more modern puppeteering techniques and just enough CGI to add to the illusion it really is a fantastic series.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

I didn't watch any of the trailer's for this show as I wanted to go in as blind as possible, I've always had a soft spot for the original film (often arguing that it was far superior to Labyrinth) but I wasn't prepared to be quite so enthrealled by it, It's the first show I've watched in a long time where if it was on I wouldn't occasionally reach for my phone, it completely nailed the look of the original film and improved upon with more modern puppeteering techniques and just enough CGI to add to the illusion it really is a fantastic series.

Puppetry wise (and it's a weird thing to mention) but the Skeksis tongues are amazing, they add so much more movement to the heads that was lacking in the original.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Loved every second of it. There's just something really great about watching something "real" in an era of CGI, and really only the puppetry could pull off the visual flair needed for a fantasy series of this scale without using a ton of CG. Between the effects, the story, and the music, it was everything I hoped it was going to be.

I just hope they give it a season 2 (I can't imagine it will need more than that to lead into the film from what I remember), but I also suppose the budget for this must be pretty large compared to most of their other originals.

Deet is the best :3:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You start out thinking how the hell can the Gelflings can just go along with coexisting with the Skeksis, then you hear Seladon going all Thanos with her "the hardest choices require the strongest wills" type speech. :stare:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Taear posted:

Finally the event we've all been waiting for: A prequel to Jim Henson's 1982 cult film Dark Crystal.

It's 1000 years before the events of the film and the Gelflings - who have been exterminated by the start of the original - are alive and under the rule of the Skeksis.

The show’s only set 50 years before the movie.

Oh, and there’s a making of documentary on Netflix as well, under the title of “Call of the Crystal”.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

The show’s only set 50 years before the movie.

Oh, and there’s a making of documentary on Netflix as well, under the title of “Call of the Crystal”.

Are you sure? All the stuff I've read says it's not clear
Other than some spoilery future vision stuff later in the show

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I was sure this was only a short time before the film as both Gen and Kira remember Garthem from when they were saved.

Also Rian and Newt are Kira's parents

One thing I'm Confused by is that the UrSkes give Augra her machine or did the Skesis? The opening says one thing but it's implied the other later on through dialog.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I was sure this was only a short time before the film as both Gen and Kira remember Garthem from when they were saved.

Also Rian and Newt are Kira's parents

One thing I'm Confused by is that the UrSkes give Augra her machine or did the Skesis? The opening says one thing but it's implied the other later on through dialog.

Ah okay, poo poo I wish I hadn't moused over that. I'll change the first post.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

twistedmentat posted:

It was the urSkeks, but when the Skeksis say they gave it to her...well, I mean technically they did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Labes for days posted:

It was the urSkeks, but when the Skeksis say they gave it to her...well, I mean technically they did.

Oh yea it woujd make sense that Augra saw them as just parts of the whole she once knew.

And that spoiler is speculation based on romantic pairings from the show. I didnt want to spoil those.

And I can see why one might think this is a long time before the film, with the Gelfling ruins looking very old and the opening narration. The Skesis had ruled for thousands of years.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea it woujd make sense that Augra saw them as just parts of the whole she once knew.

And that spoiler is speculation based on romantic pairings from the show. I didnt want to spoil those.

And I can see why one might think this is a long time before the film, with the Gelfling ruins looking very old and the opening narration. The Skesis had ruled for thousands of years.

Man, then actually say it's speculation - don't present it as though it's definitely true!
The stuff I've read say it's any time between 40 and 1000 years and they've left it ambiguous. But how would just two Gelflings manage to hang around unseen for such a long time? 1000 years is a loving huge gulf really.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Deet has 2 dads :kimchi:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The early CGI gelflings they show during the Making Of are... interesting. Would have been a pretty different show.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Winklebottom posted:

The early CGI gelflings they show during the Making Of are... interesting. Would have been a pretty different show.

There's a making of? I can't find it on Netflix

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

There's a making of? I can't find it on Netflix

Yeah, its called The Crystal Calls - The Making of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Taear posted:

Man, then actually say it's speculation - don't present it as though it's definitely true!
The stuff I've read say it's any time between 40 and 1000 years and they've left it ambiguous. But how would just two Gelflings manage to hang around unseen for such a long time? 1000 years is a loving huge gulf really.

And we don't get a sense Gelflings live that long.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7sAe6tS8rE

this is a great old behind the scenes doc (terrible quality sorry) about the original movie, if anyone wants to compare with the new show. it’s seriously amazing how complex some of the puppets were

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hup rules.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Rhyno posted:

Hup rules.

Love the podladin, he has such wonderful enthusiasm.

However I am deeply concerned that at least some aspect of gelfling culture involves washing unwilling podlings, like who the gently caress are you to wash these potato-people who gave you the right??

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Labes for days posted:

However I am deeply concerned that at least some aspect of gelfling culture involves washing unwilling podlings, like who the gently caress are you to wash these potato-people who gave you the right??

Hup was great, and I was very upset he vanished from the story at the 2/3rds mark.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Labes for days posted:

Podlings exist to give Vaprans something to look down on.

The desert Gelflings looked really cool, almost like the Na'avi in skin tone. They did a really good job making the tribes distinct from one another.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Ironslave posted:

Hup was great, and I was very upset he vanished from the story at the 2/3rds mark.

Me too but he’s hanging out with the two other best characters now and undoubtedly getting up to hijinks.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Hup Teaches Podling

:3:

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Needs more aughra.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's a really incredible production with the practical effects.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When you think about it, this show is really leftist; the Skesis are the Owner and Investors class, exploring the workers being the Gelflings, who are divided for pointless squabbling so they cannot unite against their rulers.

I also like how every Gelfling that betrays their own to the Skesis gets hosed over. Yea lick that boot, it won't get your stepped on, not at all.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Labes for days posted:

Also going to again tell you how much I love the Heretic and the Wanderer and the fact that they have puppets putting on a puppet show for other puppets.

I said this exact sentence to the Mrs. after that scene. My god that was magnificent.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The best characters were Skeksis from the great voice acting to how they made elaborate costumes to show their roles.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

etalian posted:

The best characters were Skeksis from the great voice acting to how they made elaborate costumes to show their roles.

The Gelflings had some pretty enormous improvements over the movie too. They have basically couldn't emote with their faces at all in that film.

That said, yeah, the Skeksis really steal the show and each one is so unique.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The puppets in this show really make Thunderbolt Fantasy look like poo poo.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Puppetry. Yay. :unsmith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Finished it, my earlier speculation is wrong based on the final episode. Which makes me sad, becuase poor Deet, going into self imposed exile because of her corruption, because she saved everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man I hope we get another season. Also so good to see fuckin scary puppets again.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

twistedmentat posted:

Finished it, my earlier speculation is wrong based on the final episode. Which makes me sad, becuase poor Deet, going into self imposed exile because of her corruption, because she saved everyone.

Speculation based on last episode and parentage of Jen and Kira from the movie. I think Deet is still Kiras mother, just gonna end up with some other Gelfling dude. I really only base it on the fact that she travels with Hup and Kira was raised by Podlings. Jen's parents are probably Rian and the princess Gelfling, since I think she has a crush on him as well based off her little drawling book. Rian just looks completely like Jen. Though we dont really know how Gelflings reproduce. It is possible Rian is the father to both Kira and Jen, perhaps theres something with Gelflings that negates the whole incest thing, who knows. Hell its possible that the Gelflings we know are actually just the grandparents of Jen and Kira since it seems to be taking place about 50 years before the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That peeper beatle torture scene with the Scientist was something else.